• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nyhaven: Views From Within (Nuclear City - 5/8)

Started by woodb3kmaster, October 02, 2008, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelis

.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

CoastRunner

Thank you woodb3kmaster for this wonderful update!!!  And thanks emg for providing the pictures and cities!  They look great!  &apls

KoV Liberty

Wow! Just great! And very lucky! You got your plane from Joel. Hehe, looking forward to the next!

Alex

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

woodb3kmaster

Sorry I haven't been updating lately, folks! It's been a busy couple of months, but I plan on posting the conclusion to The Illu'an Excursion soon. Once that's done, I'll have to put Nyhaven on hold for a while to complete the BATs I'll need to resume the engineering updates you all know and love. But I definitely will return! (Replies will come at the next update.)

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

marsh

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

daryl7478

Paladin

woodb3kmaster

Marshall (marsh): I hope you enjoy it!

mightygoose: Heh, thanks!

Daryl (daryl7478) & Paladin: It's really a combination of SC4 burnout and my job. However, you don't have to wait any longer! Hooray!

kalvar: Thanks! The first airport picture is mine, but everything else was contributed by Daniel (emgmod), so be sure to thank him for his work.

Well, it's been quite a bit longer since my last post than I expected, so please accept my apologies for the wait! I'm still trying to get back into SC4 and BATting, but it's been harder than I expected. However, I can't let this MD languish anymore, so for the next few semi-updates, I'm going to take a hint from our own Fred (mrbisonm) and take you on a tour of metropolitan Nyhaven by following various major streets from end to end. First up on this new string of "Nyhaven Excursions", we're following Main Street!

Main St begins at the downtown riverfront, where you'll find a string of shops with a maritime feel, as well as a small marina. Looks like it's a busy day down here!

Just a few blocks east is the heart of Nyhaven - City Hall and Founders' Square. The square has a long history going back almost to the founding of the city, though it took on its modern form around the turn of the 20th century. Nyhaven's city courthouse is also located here, as is Lower Columbia's only stock exchange.

Down near where Main St leaves Hunters Island and downtown, at the intersection with Fourth Avenue, is Nyhaven's oldest church, which we last saw when Paul and Jane got married here. The TV station next door is unaffiliated with the church.

Further east, on the mainland, we pass through the densely-populated inner city. Just off Main St, on its own turnaround, are the towers of University Crescent; beyond them is, as you might expect, the University of Nyhaven.

Main St passes through the southern part of Greektown as it continues to the east. The neighborhood is home to a very vibrant Greek immigrant community.

As we continue, we pass by a bit of "urban wilderness" - Lake Adams and its surrounding woods.

Nearby, and more accessible, is Rossmore Park, home to the lake that gives the district of Rossmore Lake its name.

The R-150 freeway passes under Main St further east from the park.

Papillon Manor, the home of Nyhaven's mayors since the 1830s, sits next to Main St, just before it enters...

...Ridgeland Park, which we've seen before. Gorgeously landscaped since about 1870, it forms part of the city's park belt, which divides Inner and Outer Nyhaven.

After passing through the Townsend Industrial Park, Main Street returns to suburbia in Wilshire Valley. The Eastern Line of the Nyhaven MetroRail system runs close to the street around here.

At last, we come to the end of development along Main St, at the R-148. This area is home to a number of big-box stores, office complexes and restaurants, like so many other intersections near freeway interchanges.

Nuclear City - 5/8

Tomas Neto

Fantastic update, very nice!!!  :thumbsup:
A happy new year to you!!!

daryl7478

noahclem

Nice city! I particularly like Ridgeland Park and that school with track and football field in the shot below it. It does seem like picture 12 would benefit from some terraforming. Look forward to more  :thumbsup:

scott1964

nbvc

i_love_lamp

Welcome back! The only thing I have to say that I wish that I had the patience to build a city that elegant! But no, I had to be the one with the attention span of OMG, A SQUIRREL!!!!!!

Albus of Garaway

woodb3kmaster

Tomas Neto: And a happy new year to you too, my friend! Thanks for stopping by!
Daryl (daryl7478): Thank you, Daryl! I do enjoy playing around with all the features the RHW team adds into that mod with each new release.
Noah (noahclem): Thanks, Noah! I'm glad you like what you see. As for terraforming that avenue in image 12, I'll see what I can do.
scott1964: Thank you! That park took a lot of work to make, so I'm glad you like it.
nbvc: Thanks!
i_love_lamp: Thank you, my friend! I'm sure you'll be able to build cities as good as Nyhaven before long. Just keep working at it!
Jason (Albus of Garaway): Thanks, Jason!

It's time for another full update, something that's been missing for quite a while now! Like Update 46, this one's images (and most of its text) come courtesy of my friend emgmod, so if you like what you see today, be sure to thank him! Now, without further ado...

The first day of our vacation was loads of fun, but even greater experiences were to come on Days 2 and 3, as we explored more of Strathmore and Palmona.

Early the next morning, we took the SPARTA Green Line to Downtown Palmona.

It wasn't the fastest route to Palmona, but it did provide an opportunity to transfer onto the Palmona Historic Streetcar. The days of Nyhaven's streetcar network were long gone, so riding Palmona's streetcar was a new experience for all of us - except Grandpa, who told us many stories of his own streetcar rides as we rolled on. I think that some of the local passengers might have been getting annoyed at him...

The Streetcar brought us and the kids all the way to Palmona Terminal.

Since it was Sunday, we decided to attend the service at a nearby Lutheran church, which turned out to be one of the oldest in Palmona. The service was more formal than we were used to, but it was a great learning experience for the family.

After that, it was a short ride on the SPARTA Blue Line to the world-famous MacGruber Amusement Park.

The first thing we did at MacGruber Amusement Park was hit the beach. It wasn't the warmest water out there, thanks to the California Current, but the beach was fun all the same.

Later in the day, we decided to go on some of the rides. However, we didn't ride anything particularly terrifying because of the kids.

As the night progressed, we decided to end our day on the Liberty Eye, the "center" of MacGruber Amusement Park.

The next day, the family took a taxi to the Sea World Strathmore and the Strathmore Zoo.

First up was Sea World. We viewed a nice collection of aquarium exhibits and watched a dolphin show.
http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz154/reverselift42/l2-12.jpg?t=1282551058

After Sea World, we walked across the street to the Strathmore Zoo. After Sea World, the Zoo was a bit of a disappointment.

Before leaving Strathmore, there was one more thing we did. We took a taxi to North Strathmore-Francis Airport and booked a plane tour.

After takeoff, the plane turned south and looped around Strathmore's Downtown and University areas.

Going to the east, we passed over Palmona's skyline.

We turned around and were over the deep blue of Strathmore Bay, with the MacGruber Amusement Park in the distance.

One exciting flight later, we took a taxi back to our hotel, and got ready to board our train to Daloa...

Nuclear City - 5/8

RickD

Great to see new updates from Nyhaven. I like the Nyhaven Excursion along Main Street. It really gives a better impression of how the city works.
And engmod's pictures are also great.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)