• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nyhaven: Views From Within (Nuclear City - 5/8)

Started by woodb3kmaster, October 02, 2008, 06:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodb3kmaster

Incidentally, this post marks the start of Page 31 both here and at ST! Hooray!

i_love_lamp: Sounds cool! Have fun!
Daryl (daryl7478): Thanks! I brought Nyhaven over to SC4D in October 2008, so after the Simlympics.
Raphael (RickD): Thank you, Raphael! I was hoping you'd say that.
Battlecat: No worries, my friend. We all have our busy times; you're welcome here whenever you find the time. Thanks, though!
Daniel (danielcote): Thank you!
Myself.or.?: Thanks very much, my friend! I'm glad you like the changes.

For this week, I've decided to take you all on a little detour from Nyhaven to check out some historical photos of another city in Lower Columbia - Seattle. This isn't the Seattle you're familiar with, however - instead of recreating it exactly, I'm making my own unique version, tailor-made to fit the alternate history in which Lower Columbia exists. I'm going to recreate some of the real Seattle's landmarks and other localities in my version, and I'm loosely following the real city's street grid, but I'm also adding some landmarks of my own and deviating from the real street layout in some places.

This version of Seattle was founded in the late 17th century by immigrants who crossed the Pacific and passed through Nyhaven and Lower Columbia's neighbor Illu'a (run by my fellow AIN member emgmod) to reach Puget Sound. Rather than join the new nation of Lower Columbia in 1712, the region chose to remain independent, ultimately forming the Republic of Puget and Fraser in 1813. Seattle then became the capital of one of the states that comprised the new republic.

Here's how downtown Seattle looked in the mid-19th century, as it was growing rapidly. I hope you like it!

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Tomas Neto

Very nice update, awesome image my friend!!! I liked a lot than you said about what is going to do, and really will be a very interesting work!!!  :thumbsup:

danielcote

Battlecat

Nice touch with creating the old photograph style.  Looking forward to seeing more!

KoV Liberty

Very nice now that he has a family. Great job so far! Keep it up Wood! :thumbsup:

Alex

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

woodb3kmaster

Tomas Neto: Thank you, Tomas! I'm glad you liked it!
Daniel (danielcote): I hope I won't disappoint!
Battlecat: Thanks, my friend! I hope you enjoy what I have in store!
Alex (KoV Liberty): Thank you, Alex!

I have another historical picture of Seattle for you all; the caption speaks for itself:

This government center was built around 1800, not long before Seattle joined the Republic of Puget-Fraser. The construction of these buildings and the formation of a government in Seattle resulted in the city expanding rapidly, doubling in area in just ten years. Pictured are the Puget State Legislature building, the government offices on either side of it, the governor's mansion, and the state courthouse.

Nuclear City - 5/8

alexr19

Thanks for the links, woodb3km! The new update looks great. I really like the dirt roads, they definitely add to the historic feel of the photos. Would love to see more of alt-Seattle.

Jayster

This should be interesting to follow. I'm from the Puget Sound area so it'll be neat to see how your version compares to the real Seattle. Looking forward to more!  :thumbsup:

woodb3kmaster

alexr19: Thank you, and you're very welcome! I hope to show you some more of the city, though that depends on how my readers feel. I want to post more pictures of it, but it seems like some readers on ST might not have enjoyed this little side-trip. We'll see.
Jayster: Thanks! It's good to have a local reading, and I hope you'll enjoy my take on the city.

In 1988, Jane and I decided to break from our usual summer routine of vacationing within Lower Columbia and instead take the family on a visit to the United Republic of Illu'a, not far across the ocean from our beloved homeland. All through June and July, we made preparations for the trip. When August came around, it was time to pack our bags.

Please note that the ColumbiAir 747 shown in this and other pictures will never be available for download.
In addition, all pictures in this update except for the first one and the banner are the work of emgmod, not me.

Early in the morning, we all got into the car and headed for Nyhaven International Airport. It wasn't long before we were at our gate, waiting to board a ColumbiAir flight to Strathmore-Palmona in Illu'a.

Only half an hour after taking off, our plane was touching down in Strathmore-Palmona.

We waited patiently (well, maybe not the kids) as the plane approached the gate.

Once we were off the plane and had collected our bags, we took stock of our transportation options for getting to central Strathmore. The regional light rail system, SPARTA, didn't yet extend all the way to the airport, but there was free shuttle service to the nearest station.

It didn't take long for the shuttle to reach that station. Once inside, we got our SPARTA tickets and headed up to the platform.

After a few minutes, we boarded the next train, which took us through the suburbs of Palmona and Strathmore...

...all the way to midtown Strathmore. Conveniently, our hotel was right next to Strathmore Victory Station.

We stopped by the hotel briefly to check in, and then walked a few blocks over to downtown Strathmore. There were so manu nice stores there, we spent most of the afternoon shopping.

After having dinner at a downtown restaurant, we headed over to the Charles J. Mudkipz Hall. They were showing a play that looked interesting, so I bought tickets for all of us  for that evening. It was a very entertaining play, I must say.

Once the play was over, we took the subway to the University District, which was full of eclectic shops and a growing number of coffeehouses. While we were there, we visited the local shopping mall, the Dirka Dirka Square.

After a while, we started feeling tired, so we took the subway back to the hotel. It had been a fun first day.

Nuclear City - 5/8

Jayster

Battlecat

daryl7478

Charles J. Mudkipz is a funny name. There's actually a Pokemon named Mudkip that is famous thanks to the many I herd you liek mudkipz videos on YouTube.

canyonjumper

Great update Zack! All your recent updates/teasers have been excellent, and I look forward to more from Illu'a.

Your friend,
                                  Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

nbvc

kodlovag

Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

planetechef

& coming soon "Sakura Republic".

Sven800

This is great work. You put a lot of thought into your city layouts, and it shows.
Your custom and modified lots also ad a lot to the overall feel of your city (cities?). Great job!

bat

That are some really great pictures! The airplane is looking nice, also the parking area is good!
Great work.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

samerton