• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The RTMT V3 Support Thread

Started by z, September 10, 2008, 07:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddy

Does anyone know what the heck file I'm missing

z

Quote from: Teddy on October 18, 2010, 12:05:40 PM
Does anyone know what the heck file I'm missing

You are missing the phone booth in your lots.  If you chose the UK Phonebox, then you need BSC MEGA Props Gascooker Vol01.  You also seem to be missing the back row of props for the standalone lot, but these are simply Maxis props.  I'm not sure why you're not seeing those; are you using SC4 Deluxe or Rush Hour with the latest patch?

gecko001

So I have a really dumb question. It's been awhile since I installed RTMT stuff, and I cannot remember if I installed the 3.602 version. I *think* I installed v3.5, then later the 3.51 patch, then Interim T-RAM stations 7, then perhaps the 3.602 stuff. My dumb question therefore is this: how does one know which version or patch level of RTMT is installed?

For a workaday computer program, I'd go to Help then About in order to see the version. I remember reading somewhere that the RTMT folder will say "V3" even if v3.51 is in fact installed. So, the RTMT folder tells me nothing. Is there a time/date stamp on a particular file that I can use to verify I have 3.602? Anyone know how I can tell? If I have 3.602 installed, I don't want to install it again (might mess something up). Then again, if I'm running 3.51, it'd be wise to update it to 3.602.

Sorry to be so long-winded for such a dumb question. It's just bugging me, this not knowing for sure.

z

It's very simple.  If you have the SAM and/or El Rail over Road subfolders under your RTMTV3 folder, or you see their respective stations in your menu, you have version 3.60.  (There is no version 3.602.)  If you don't have these folders or stations, then you don't have version 3.60, and you need to install it.

gecko001

Thanks, z. I do have those subfolders, so now I know. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Nijomi

Brilliant work.
Just one minor problem I have noted.

Bus stop markings in wrong position.
I have LH with euro road textures and RTMTV3_RoadMarkings_UKnew_Euro.dat, allthough I suspect this is an error in the lot not the textures.
Looking forward to V4.

z

Sure enough, those markings are in the wrong position.  The funny thing is that they must have been that way for years, since none of the lotting has changed.  We'll address this in v4.  Thanks for letting us know about it!

cogeo

Hmmm...

I have prepared a fix for this. Swaped the textures in the reader; also moved the building box to the centre of the lot.

Dl the attachment and install it under the RTMTV3 folder. Or, if you can use the reader, you can replace the lot exemplar with that in the patch.

As for your props selection, it is possible to have a better-looking (British) prop configuration. Dl the ZIP version of RTMT and use the following props:
- The (real) UK phonebox by gascooker.
- The London buses sign (remove the timetable prop too).
- That old, crude, and huge busstop shelter not only looks awful, it contains a signpost too. We do not currently have a british busstop shelter, however SimGoober's pack contains a collection of 20 props (7 styles with colour variations); I think you will find at least one that fits in well. SimGoober's pack also contains a lot showcasing all 20 models (park menu); you can use it to help you select the one(s) you like the most. The readme contains detailed instructions on how to install a set of busstop (and other) props in prop-family mode, as well as how to make the game select a specific prop when you plop the stations (it is possible to have different props in the same city).

Nijomi

Thanks cogeo, advise followed result a much nicer stop.

A couple of things you may consider for v4 moving the bus stop sign closer to the new shelters as I believe that the smaller size of shelter is more or less to be standard in next version, Narrower width crossing and bus stop red overlay so as not to overlap. Is anyone working on UK Bus shelter if not I may give it a go.

cogeo

As you have noticed, a problem with RTMT was the lack of specially-designed props. I wasn't BATting when these were made, and other members were not very much willing to contribute, so I had to proceed with what was then available, not very much suitable and usually unconveniently big. See the "Big Blue" busstop in the readme? Not really blue, but definitely big, lol! So clearances had to be bigger, to accommodate the largest possible models.

If you are familiar with LE and the reader, you can try making such changes (eg moving the sign) yourself. But this is possible only if you commit yourself to use models of up to a certain size. I think you understand that the RTMT team cannot do this, before there are established some specifications about the models' maximum (and maybe recommended) sizes.

Aaah, and forgot about it, there's a newer version of the GLR shelter model in one of the RTMT patches (released post V3.50). It's lower, and rendered in HD. Maybe take a look.

$ Dj D.P.E. $

ok new to the RTMT thing I just got it maybe an hour ago but I have two questions.

1) this has probably bin answered somewhere once I tried looking for it in the search but I couldn't find anything but how do you connect a ave. or road with tram to a regular road or ave? I can't get any of my roads or aves to connect to it or cross it :(

2) Can the tram on road be turned or do they have to always run straight?

z

These questions are actually not RTMT questions, but are general T-RAM questions.  I would suggest looking at the documentation that comes with the NAM, as this should show you everything you need to do.  If you still have questions, please post them in the T-RAM thread.  Thanks! ;)

H2Odk

I have to reinstall everything and wanted to know if I should wait for RTMT v4. So when can v4 be expected?

ScottFTL

Quote from: H2Odk on January 21, 2011, 05:25:03 PM
I have to reinstall everything and wanted to know if I should wait for RTMT v4. So when can v4 be expected?

I don't have any exact dates for you, but you definitely shouldn't wait.  I think it's going to be a while.  There will be at least one more v3 release before v4.

evilbob

I have heard that the use of road top mass transit in a large city can cripple performance due to a constant recalculation of traffic as it passes through one of the lots.  Is this accurate?  Does RTMT have a noticeable affect on performance?

z

Quote from: evilbob on February 02, 2011, 04:17:14 PM
I have heard that the use of road top mass transit in a large city can cripple performance due to a constant recalculation of traffic as it passes through one of the lots.  Is this accurate?  Does RTMT have a noticeable affect on performance?

This is completely false; it was based on assumptions about the way the traffic simulator worked which have since been proved wrong.  Experiments have shown that RTMT has no noticeable affect on performance, even in very large cities.

evilbob

Quote from: z on February 02, 2011, 05:25:17 PM
This is completely false; it was based on assumptions about the way the traffic simulator worked which have since been proved wrong.  Experiments have shown that RTMT has no noticeable affect on performance, even in very large cities.

Darn.  City has been locking up and was hoping i finally found the cause.

catty

Quote from: evilbob on February 02, 2011, 08:51:46 PM
Darn.  City has been locking up and was hoping i finally found the cause.

When I replaced my computer a couple of years it only had 500MB of memory and integrated graphics, and I had the same problem with my cities, they would run for a couple of minutes and then freeze sometimes for quite lengthy periods of time, to the point that playing was almost impossible, I replaced my video card with one that came with 500MB of its own memory and also upgraded the computer memory to 2GB, the improvement in the game and speed while playing was very noticeable.

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

cammo2003

Quote from: cogeo on November 13, 2010, 12:59:54 PM
As you have noticed, a problem with RTMT was the lack of specially-designed props. I wasn't BATting when these were made, and other members were not very much willing to contribute, so I had to proceed with what was then available, not very much suitable and usually unconveniently big. See the "Big Blue" busstop in the readme? Not really blue, but definitely big, lol! So clearances had to be bigger, to accommodate the largest possible models.

If you are familiar with LE and the reader, you can try making such changes (eg moving the sign) yourself. But this is possible only if you commit yourself to use models of up to a certain size. I think you understand that the RTMT team cannot do this, before there are established some specifications about the models' maximum (and maybe recommended) sizes.

Aaah, and forgot about it, there's a newer version of the GLR shelter model in one of the RTMT patches (released post V3.50). It's lower, and rendered in HD. Maybe take a look.

Yeah, the big size of the props has always bothered me. Another thing with goober's stop being so close to the road, that little sign hanging out looks about the right height to clobber a Sim's head trying to get into the seat.  :P

One of these days I *will* learn to BAT properly :P

evilbob

Quote from: catty on February 03, 2011, 01:10:00 AM
When I replaced my computer a couple of years it only had 500MB of memory and integrated graphics, and I had the same problem with my cities, they would run for a couple of minutes and then freeze sometimes for quite lengthy periods of time, to the point that playing was almost impossible, I replaced my video card with one that came with 500MB of its own memory and also upgraded the computer memory to 2GB, the improvement in the game and speed while playing was very noticeable.

:)

Yeah, i guess i'll have to try and upgrade the gpu soon, i guess.  Figured 4gigs and a 8600gt would be alright, but soon as i hit 550k with a 220k comerical and 150k indi, the city has become most grumpy, as in the roads start flickering and it freezes every few seconds.