• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sterling Regional Development

Started by krbe, February 22, 2007, 07:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

I like this little town, it looks great! The houses look very good and I love the railway bridge. The riot looks cool, too! Great update!

Cali

it is a good looking community, growing nicely :thumbsup: can't wait to see more of this city from scratch.
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

rooker1

Very nice start, I love the map and all those rivers.  It has promise.
Call me Robin, please.

krbe

Quote from: rooker1 on March 02, 2007, 02:58:39 PM
Very nice start, I love the map and all those rivers.  It has promise.

I can only promise the destruction of that little town where development got out of hand... I'll get onto the reconstruction of it tomorrow.

bat

wonderful update and great work! :thumbsup:

krbe

A new beginning
I felt the development of the region was going to fast - and also seemed a little unnatural, so I decided to start over again. For the moment, I have two small towns: Kempf, a small fishing village by the sea up north, and Kilburn, a little larger "general purpose" city by the sea at the western end.

The centre of Kempf, the harbour.

The rich sims lives just a couple of metres from the water in the old part of the town,

and the low to middle income citizen further from the sea in the new part.

There is a train line out of the city, and steam trains are still prevalent.

Kilburn, a slightly larger town, is more cramped.

Oh, those lovely rowhouses - have R$ ever been nicer?

I am sure I am missing some files for the textures of the standard Maxis industry buildings - anyone willing to help? By the way, the factory to the right is Porkies Pies, famous throughout the region.

I have also had a problem with DuskTrooper's No Maxis Mod. I would greatly appreciate any help on how to block R$ houses.

Thank you, and good night.

thundercrack83

Well, Kilburn and Kempf look great, I love the train station and Kempf's harbor. Great job!

Cali

"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

bat

krbe

The first rural town
Since Biology isn't a part of this course, I've nothing interesting to add to these pictures of the new rural town I just made. You are free to enjoy the pictures of Oldenheide (any Germans seeing some mistakes with the name - please correct me!).

The old part of town, with living quarters surrounded by farms.

Riderhill Farm, owned by Mr. Riderhill. The farm is located some 4-500 metres from the town centre.

The only industry you'll find in Oldenheide.

The new town. Note the pub in the left corner by the road.

Oldenheide went through quite a transformation as I took the pictures - here some new flats being constructed, due to land constraints - there are farms everywhere!

Help needed!
As you may have seen on some of the pictures in previous updates, I might miss a texture files. The problems are with original Maxis industrial lots. Please, show me the light someone!

oldrogue

Sorry, can't help with the texture files :-[, but want to say that I really like Oldenhide..... :thumbsup:
Sometimes I go into my own little world....but it's ok, they know me there.

kwakelaar

You started all over again???
Well, your second start looks very nice so far, as I have said before I enjoy this kind of slowly growing towns and cities.

For the Maxis industrial missing textures... to me it seems more like you are missing some props.
But if you have installed the game they should all be there, maybe you have to change some settings in your game to make them show up. Futher than that I can't really help you.
Take a look in the LotEditor and open up some industrials, if there are textures or props without the names being displayed something is not right.

I noticed that you are missing some props on the Pegasus Seaport village lots, there should be a wooden front on the harbour pieces.

NikNik

Great start of the city.

You changed a couple of things in the second towns. Not only the towns but also the water mod. That's a pity as the Maxis ingame one is..... :thumbsdown: YUCK!

As for the missing props. Did you download the Maxis Buildingprops volume 1 and 2?
http://simcity.ea.com/downloads/getfile_pri.php?filename=bldgprop_vol1.dat
http://simcity.ea.com/downloads/getfile_pri.php?filename=bldgprop_vol2.dat

Did you get the Maxis update as well?
http://simcity.ea.com/update/index.php

Wel, just get everything from the Maxis site.

Nik-Nik

bat

your rural town looks fantastic! great development! :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

Another great update. I love the rural town, it looks fantastic! Keep up the good work!

Naryanna

Symetrical yet beutiful! I like it. Interesting cj.  &apls

dedgren

krbe-  You are getting some good constructive feedback here, and it's nice to see folks pitching in to answer your questions.  If you'd be willing to listen to my 2 cents, here it is.

I think you might be a little too willing to just let stuff grow, without looking at the duplication that results.  There is a world of custom content out there, and no reason at all, unless done purposefully, to have two of the same buildings next to each other or, for that matter, in the same city.

...that last might be stretching things a bit.

The really fantastic cities in the MDs have a hand-placed look because... well, cause the stuff in them is generally placed by hand- purposefully chosen and individually sited.  You are developing your urbanized areas slowly enough where you would not be taking any major extra time to do this.  I guess it takes careful planning to achieve that entirely random RL look- never thought that one through before.

I'll certainly be looking over your shoulder every so often to see how things are going, and to keep up with SRD.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

petercintn

So far you've been given good advice.  I'm finding out that textures are, well, a pain.  Guess it can't be helped though.  Good luck with your MD.

I'm enjoying how your going 'slow,' to make everything right.  I'm no good at that. 

Oh, welcome.
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

rooker1

The last two updates are very good, keep it up. :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.