• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Covington - Update 61 "Chestnut Hills and South River Bend"

Started by JBSimio, March 31, 2008, 07:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Holy cow, Jon!

That is a huge update, my friend! I'm going to have to go back through and re-read everything again, just in case I missed something, but on first pass, The Barrens looks just superb! Boy, I wish I could build those residential neighborhoods like you!

Keep up the marvelous work here, my friend, and I'll be back to see what else you have in store for us!

Dustin

bat

That are a lot of nice pictures! A wonderful new update of your beautiful city! This suburban area looks fantastic!
Great work! :thumbsup:

Jmouse

Jon, I believe these are the best-looking neighborhoods I've ever seen in game! You have used some excellent BATS and put them together perfectly. Either you're very lucky to have had them grow that way, or you're incredibly patient! I like the loops, curves and dead ends, too. Guess if I had to pick a favorite pic it would be 28.14, but all the photos are just awesome.

Actually the suburbs are my favorite areas of the game - I enjoy laying them out then seeing what pops up. So I'm really looking forward to seeing what pops up next in your magnificent 'burbs!

Later...
Joan

Pat

Jon I am embarressed that Ive missed alot here I am soo sorry to say that but wow you have doing some great stuff here!!! I love the papers and the neighborhoods!!!  Hey I would also like to take this time to wish you a merry chirstmas my friend!!! I hope you and your loved ones have a great day!!!

pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

JBSimio

Paul:  Thank you so much!  I think you may have a very valid point about a certain house fitting in well here and I'll have to look into that when I get back home.  (I thought I had downloaded them already, but I can't recall now)  In the meantime, the houses I think you're referring to in 28.19 are actually part of CP's 19th Century Housing package.  Those are simply some of the lower wealth versions.

Dustin:  Thank you and welcome back!  :D  It's been a busy month, but here in North Carolina we always have time to sit on the porch a spell if you're of the mind... pull up a chair and grab some biscuits n gravy!

Bat:  Thank you, my friend!

Joan:  Thank you!  I think that was one of my favorites as well... although I'm also quite partial to 28.20 for some reason.  I just like how it turned out.

Pat:  Thank you and welcome back to you as well!  I know you've had some things going on, but I'm very glad to see you around the site a bit again.  Feel free to join Dustin and I on the porch if you'd like.  I hope you have a very merry Christmas as well!

Hmmm... so I can't decide if I should sit here and type a witty introduction or if I should just go ahead and do something like this...

Yeah... I guess that will work.  ;)
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

Pat

LoL Jon you got me at the biscuts n gray lol and I sure will sit a spell no problem for some southren style if you please!!! yummies!!! Thank you sir for the welcoming back and I love that mosaic there and it works so well wow!!! I cant wait to see what you got in store next...

pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

paroch

er, I think I'm in the wrong MD.  I thought I was in Covington, home of rural landscapes, suburban variety, Squares full of celebration and Industrial heritage.  Seems this place is a busy night-time metropolis - as I say must be the wrong place  ;)

Great work Jon - I'm guessing we're in downtown Covington now - can't wait for the sun to come up so we can have a proper look!

Happy Christmas mate,

Paul

thundercrack83

WOW!

What a mosaic, Jon! That is absolutely amazing, my friend! Magnificent work!

And have a very Merry Christmas, my friend!

Dustin

Jmouse

Hey Jon, what a beautiful holiday gift for your many fans! Night shots are always my favorites, and this one is absolutely awesome.

See ya' on the other side of Christmas - have a Merry one!
Joan

Lilojame

Hi my friend!

I guess, I managed to miss another update of yours... SHAME ON ME!!! And what an update it was! Gorgeous, stunning, superb! I was and am taken away by your wonderfully composed suburbs.
And the night-time mosaic is stunning also!

Jon, you are doing such a great work here that it is always an extreme pleasure to visit!

Before I go, let me wish you a Marry Christmas!

Karin

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

bat

Your mosaic at night looks really beautiful! Wonderful work on that area of your nice city!! ;)

And I wish you a Merry Christmas...

nerdly_dood

I absolutely love your mosaic with this one - very realistic. &apls
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

dandan 777

:D Very beautiful sorry I missed the last 2 updates it was christmas and they wouldnt let me login even though it was the right password.  &hlp

JBSimio

Pat:  Biscuits and gravy always does the trick for me too!  You just can't go wrong with some good ol' southern cooking... ;)

Paul:   :D  Kind of threw you off there, did I?  Yes... downtown Covington and UNCC were featured in the little mosaic I forgot to title.  (I meant to put "Oh Holy Night" in there somewhere... but life goes on)  Glad you liked it!

Dustin:  Thank you!  I hope yours was equally happy.

Joan:  Thanks!

Karin:  Thank you!  I have a little catching up to do myself, so there is certainly no need to shame yourself!  ;)

Bat:  Thank you my friend!

Nerdly_dood:  Thanks!  I'm glad you liked it.

Dandan:  Thank you!  It's been a busy time for everyone I think... I'm content with people stopping by when they can.  ;)

Well, once again, I don't really have a proper update ready just yet.  I spent all day flying home yesterday.  The people were a little less crabby than last week, but the delays were a little crazy.  I took a little walk downtown this morning and saw something you all might be interested in...

This artist's rendering of the Swan Convention Center was posted up on the construction fencing.  It's nice to finally see what they're planning down there... it should make a pretty impressive addition to downtown when it's finished.  ;)

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

paroch

Hey that is looking good there Jon.  Love the "open book" style roof and windows - should allow plenty of light into that convention space.

bat

Nice pictures of that building which is looking really fantastic! Nice!
Looking forward to more... :)

dandan 777

:thumbsup: Wow I would have guessed it was a library and I love how the road goes through it!

Jmouse

Nice library, Jon! It will be a fine edition (sic) to the existing volume of BATs. ;)

Happy New Year to all...
Joan

JBSimio

Paul:  Thank you!  The crazy roof line is supposed to represent the wings for the "Swan" Convention Center... but I can certainly see the book idea as well.

Bat:  Thank you!

Dandan:  Thanks!  It does look a lot like a library, doesn't it?  Oh well... I've started over with this building too many times already.  :D

Joan:  Thanks!  Happy New Year to you as well.

Update Time!!!

Every once in a while I read back through my past updates... usually to remind myself of a street name or some other bit of trivia... but sometimes just to remember what I have or haven't shown.  I was doing that yesterday when I suddenly realized that I had promised a tour that I never went back to.  Now, I'm sure that some of you are saying, "But Jon... you've done that a whole lot more than just once!"  OK... fair enough.  Most of those promises have not been broken so much as simply delayed.  There have been several things I mentioned in passing when I thought I would just come right back to them and then quickly realized it wasn't going to be as quick or easy as I thought.  (Walnut Hills State Park is a very good example of that!)  However, today is one of those things which has been finished for a while that I just simply forgot about.  So I thought it would be a good time to go back for the long promised, more in depth, tour of the University of North Carolina at Covington.

UNCC has played a part in quite a few updates and is a key component to the city's history and future growth, so a closer look is long overdue.  Historically speaking, the campus began with one building in 1863.  Originally known as Covington College, this single building housed classrooms in the center portion with very limited dormitory space on either side.  Perched on a hill overlooking Lawndale Avenue, the college slowly acquired enough land to stretch east to Battleground Avenue.  The gothic architecture of the building bears many influences from early American Catholic design and set the stage for many future buildings on campus.

This overview of the central campus shows the university's academic core.  Ahler's Memorial Library was added in 1902 on the north side of the central quad.  To the south you can see original campus steam plant (which is still in use today, although the university has grown too large to be completely self sufficient) and the chapel from 1874.  As part of the school's 50th Anniversary, the first building was duplicated in 1913 at considerable expense in comparrison to the cost of the original.

Just below the original building, which was later named the Fuhrmann Academic Center after the school's founder, is what was originally the first full dormitoy building on campus.  As Covington College grew and began attracting more students, the Fuhrmann building quickly became too crowded for both classrooms and living space.  This dormitory was built around 1872 around the same time the school began exploring the idea of becoming a full-fledged university.  The building was named after Adam Conger, who was influential in marrying the school to the state of North Carolina's university system.  Today, Conger Academic Center houses many of the school's language and foriegn relations studies.

The UNCC clock tower was also built as part of the school's 50th Anniversary.  The tower houses 29 bells, all forged in Philadelphia, which ring out across the city every hour.  It also provides a stunning backdrop for college soccer matches.  (Or football if you're Paul and want to get picky about it!  :D)

The original clock tower on campus was actually built in 1884 as part of the Olson Academic Center.  This building, which fronts Battleground Avenue on the northeast side of campus, was constructed to ease crowding in the Fuhrmann Academic Building.  (The Conger building, only twelve years old at this point, was of course still serving as a dormitory.)  The pond just behind and below the building is actually all that remains of the headwaters for Deep Cut Creek... yes, the one that carved out The Barrens on the other side of downtown.  The pond actually still has a spillway draining into the network of pipes beneath the city to prevent flooding.

Just beyond the Olson building is where the second entrance into campus was built off of Battleground Avenue.  Needless to say, the avenue is home to many shops and services kept busy by all the students of UNCC.

Speaking of all those students, you may be wondering by now where they all stay considering that all the former dormitories are now classrooms.  (Even if you're not wondering that yet, I'm going to tell you anyway.)  Like many universities, attendance was primarily by local students for quite some time.  The need for dormitories came slowly and in small doses.  These two dormitories were the next to be built after the Conger building.  The one on the left was also the first women's dorm on campus in 1917.

Other buildings like this one can be found scattered throughout the campus.  These also served as early dormitories.  Some of them still do, while others have been converted to other uses.

A period of rapid expansion in the past 20-25 years has prompted newer and much larger dormitories.  These can be found on the east side of campus overlooking Battleground Avenue.

As more and more students began living on campus, the need for university sponsored activities grew.  To meet this need, the Student Recreation Center was built in 1957.  This building houses a large swimming pool, gymnasium, a small food court and lounge area, as well as a number of student commitee offices.

The University of North Carolina continues to excel and grow.  The newest building on campus is the DeBussy School of Engineering and Design.  Mentioned in recent newspaper articles for their role in hydrogen powered electric plants, this particular collection of classrooms and studios is sure to attract pleny of attention in the future.  This basically concludes our tour... but I couldn't end this update without including a few of my favorite night time views from campus.

The Fuhrmann Academic Center may have evolved into just one piece of a larger campus, but its beauty still pays a fitting tribute to the man who founded the school 145 years ago.

A statue commemorating Allison Begel, UNCC's first female graduate, proudly greets those passing on Battleground Avenue at the foot of Payce and Rooker Halls.

Students and researchers work late into the night at the DeBussy School of Engineering and Design.  Who knows what their next big contribution might be?

The University of North Carolina at Covington is a big part of the city, and local retailers never forget their presence.  You never know how late a student might need to finish a thesis or simply need cash for a pizza.

Thanks for reading!!!
JB

Pat

Hey Jon great update here with the Uni and you know what is funnie? I was watching the news the other day and I saw Covington in the news and well it was on the weather channel lol... Something about a freak storm in Indiana lol, ooh yea I guess I should said that Covington IN hehehe  ;D Soccer is not Football gaaah!!!! Soccer is soccer and football is pigskin on sunday with the grid iron lol geeessh anyone knows that lol.... Anyways Jon I cant wait to see what you have in store for next time!!!