• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Creating textures: Dealing with layers and transparencies.

Started by jeronij, November 05, 2006, 02:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeronij

Here is a quick ( and hopefully useful) tutorial about how to deal with layers and transparencies when creating your own textures.

I do use Paint Shop Pro, but the system is the same for all the Graphics Editing Suites.

First lets see how the layers work. First with a solid color layer.

1) We need a basis texture ( I used a granite one for this tutorial) and a solid color image. They must be the same size so it wont work correctly.

The basis image

And the layer

2) Copy the entire layer image. Paste it into the basis image as a new layer. ( you can use the Edit menu or the right click usually). Dont move nothing !!!.
Have a look to the image layers structure.
1 is the solid color layer you just added
2 controls the transparency for this layer
3 control how the layer merges with the basis image

3) You can start playing with the merging solutions...

4) and continue with the transparency

5) it is quite easy to make new textures from those single two images. you can adjust also brightness and constrast before saving for the BAT

Now you control the solid color layers it is time to know that you can do the same with two normal textures. This time your granite and some moss....

To the left the layer. To the right the basis image

Follow the method explained above, and you will easily get something like this....

I know it is a quite brief tutorial. If you have any questions concerning it, simply send me a PM with the link. I´ll try to help asap.

I hope you find it useful !!!!
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

bat

Great turorial and
QuoteI hope you find it useful !!!!
I find it useful!

Alfred.Jones

That is an awesome tutorial Jeronij!!! That helps me heaps :thumbsup: Thanks

Sim City 4 Devotion

Colyn

Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

Tran

You a Simtropolis member because if you are this is a message I give to you... Fantastic BATs on the STEX and ST exchange.