• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WillG75's Urban Renewal Project - Back in Gear

Started by WillG_75, December 16, 2007, 12:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillG_75

One thing that I have seen missing from SC4, and something that not many people have created are realistic buildings for Urban areas. I am still fairly new at using the BAT tools, so forgive me for some of my future noob mistakes.

I have decided that I am going to try to make some Urban houses, maybe some business buildings, but mostly residential.

I still have tons of work to do on this model, but It's getting there. I still need to add some doors, porch posts and railing, electrical meters, the roof and gable of course :P , chimney, and some other things. I also plan to make different variations of this house, with different colors, and about 4-5 different roof styles.

WillG_75

JosefBrisko135

Very neat!! I will be making houses that are very similar, just in the Tampa style. I look forward to seeing more.
Your signature was TOO BIG and TOO BULKY ... System ADMIN

WillG_75

My new project:

I have worked on this for the last 2-3 days, hopefully I will release it on the STEX soon.....based on a house in my neighborhood and many neighborhoods throughout the US :)

Pat

Will that is looking real nice there and I cant wait to see it finished!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

WillG_75

Thank you Pat ;)

Almost done with the main model and texturing. Not too sure about the brick lower facade though, and it's a stucco main finish, my graphics just aren't that impressive ;)
Still need to find a good window texture and I am also deciding whether I should add a custom garage, shed, driveway, etc. to the .sc4model or just use props. I hate using props BTW :P

Pat

Will if you dont mind me saying I would go for custom!!!! Most defintly I love the brick base alot better as it gives a great contrast!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

CasperVg

Main model looks really great, good work on that. If I were you, I would indeed make the textures somewhat better tho.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

WillG_75

Does anyone have a good (non repetitive) shingle texture? The house is almost done but the textures I have now looks horrible.

WillG_75

I think I'm near being finished, but something is up with the corner of the house in the renderings......::)

Chrisadams3997

Looking good.  The roof texture could use a gradient and some signs of age.  Take a look at how the roofs of maxis houses look in game.  As for the corner problem, try placing the rain gutter flush with that wall, it looks like you're just seeing the shadowed part of the wall in the space between the it and the gutter.

Lastly, have you checked the height scale next to ingame buildings?  It's hard to tell from the Gmax renders, but it seems like it might be a little short in game since you have to scale things up just a little from RL scale.

I really like most of the textures(oh yea, rain gutter is too bright, I'd give it a medium gray color or texture) and the layout.  And the AC unit looks great.  That's something Maxis conveniently forgot ::).

Keep it up,
Chris

WillG_75

I quickly found out what the problem was with the corner, I have a corner piece there (to use with future siding versions of the house) and for some reason it wasn't rendering correctly.

The building is about 5 units tall compared to Maxis' 4 units. I have heard everything from 4-6 units tall per floor, so I don't really know what to believe.

I'm glad you mentioned the roof too, as I just kind of threw it on there after finding it, didn't customize it much :D

Gotta say it does look better than my early work though lol

I'll work on the gutter too, I need to add a darker area in there also where the gutter actually is.

delija21

Nice house you got there,try this one for the roof

By delija21 at 2008-05-28

Red Star Production is now on FACEBOOK

WillG_75

Little update..added some watermarks and some grime from the chimney, also worked on the gutter to make it more realistic, i may redo the concrete texture also, not 100% happy with that either.

Pat

Will that is looking real good I like it as is!!!

Chrisadams3997

Wow, great job on that new roof texture.  It's amazing what the little details like that make in the realism of a bat.  Looking forward to seeing your progress here.

Chris

WillG_75

Thank you, it's nice to get compliments from some of the great BATers ;D

I think that all that is left on the list is to model the garage, driveway, little flower/bush bed out front and some yard junk like some trash cans and a basketball backboard and hoop. I even thought about modeling a gas meter but that's a little too complicated for me ;).

WillG_75

Hello everyone, I'm back after a few weeks taken off from modeling. I've been looking at some possible future projects, and I was wondering what would be the best way to go about making a stone front facade. I thought about modeling the stones, but then thought that it might be easier to just individually texture each side of the house separately? Any ideas? I attached a small photo from Google Street view of Hudson St in Columbus OH for example to what I'm trying to do..

WillG_75

Model is about complete for the Champion Avenue Homes ;D

All I need is a chimney and a window air conditioner and I'll be ready to texture it :thumbsup:
If anyone has any input or advice to improve the model, speak up! ;)

jacqulina