• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RTMT expansions for NAM's Underground Rail

Started by ebina, September 27, 2007, 05:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebina

EDIT: Sorry for inconvenience. Beta version will not be available for the present.

First of all, I'm not talking about one on the STEX. These lots are revised version.

From GoaSkin's report, 1x1 lots are unstable on Mac. I changed all lots into 2x1 size. But he said "All RTMT Lots have problems on the Mac." in another thread. Then, non road top lots would help the people who have a problem with road top lots, I thought.

Here's in game picture of new U-Rail RTMT, and road side lots.

As you can see, some lots are very similar to others. This is a little troublesome, but you can distinguish which lot works as what kind of station by seeing road marking and number of staircase.
[tabular type=4]
[row] [head]Type[/head] [head]Number of staircase[/head] [head]Road marking[/head] [/row]
[row] [data]Heavy rail subway[/data] [data]2[/data] [data]None (except bus stop)[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Light rail subway[/data] [data]1[/data] [data]Subway[/data] [/row]
[row] [data]Light & Heavy rail subway[/data] [data]2[/data] [data]Subway[/data] [/row]
[/tabular]

Non road top lots can't be distinguished in the ground view. Just go to subway's underground view. If there's no subway station object, it is for the heavy rail subway. Or click the lot with query tool. If the lot has heavy rail station function, it would play the heavy rail sound.

As for the Menu Management Lot, I haven't known the internal mechanism of MML well yet. But I could make a simple LUA script patch that covers U-Rail RTMT lots.

Lotting and modding are already finished. I need beta testers and translators. Any offers are appreciated.

*I will post to the translation request board after a while.
If you could cooperate as a translator, please check this thread.

Edit: Added link to translation request.

RippleJet

This is taking our game to yet another dimension! &apls

Quote from: ebina on September 27, 2007, 05:06:56 AM
Lotting and modding are already finished. I need beta testers and translators. Any offers are appreciated.

*I will post to the translation request board after a while.

Count on me for helping with the translations! :thumbsup:

ebina

Serkanner

If needed I can and will provide a Dutch translation.

These lots look great and are a very nice addition! I will definitely use these when/if they are released.

cogeo

So you are making a new version. Great!
I will download it and post a review.

Never heard before of 1x1 lots and all RTMT having problems on the Mac. But what exactly these problems are? Could Goaskin describe it in more detail?

ebina

@Serkanner: Thank you for your help.

Quote from: cogeo on September 27, 2007, 11:11:10 AM
Never heard before of 1x1 lots and all RTMT having problems on the Mac. But what exactly these problems are? Could Goaskin describe it in more detail?

If I could remember correctly, he has reported these bugs about U-Rail RTMT v1.
1x1 lot causes game to crash(freeze?) after placing it.&mmm
2x1 lot could be placed, but the route query showed yellow arrow near the lot.??? Lots in v1 don't have light rail related transit switch.

"All U-Rail RTMT", or including yours... I don't know which his word means. But, I hope it is the former.
I may have mistaken something in old version.

cogeo

I have checked these and I have some comments to make. These are just "suggestions", sure some things can be made in various ways. My points are:
- Transit Switch Point settings. Pls check the next paragraph.
- Capacities: not saying these are wrong, but how did you calculate them? What's the capacity of the Underground Rail + Road puzzle pieces. I had exactly the same question for the Avenue/GLR puzzle pieces and made a lot of tests which didn't result in conclusions, only hypotheses. I had to make a test lot allowing only the through traffic just to test the congestion/usage conditions, and I hope they are OK, but as said above these are just hypotheses.
- MML: as I can see you have made a script packaged in a plugin that overrides mine. If this is installed under the folder named "NAM Underground Rail RTMT", either directly under the plugins folder or under "ebina", it won't override mine (under RTMTV3), unless the player installs RTMTV3 under a folder named "Cogeo"! So z_RTMTV3__MML_Patch_URail.dat must be installed under the RTMTV3 folder, not yours. This must be pointed out in the documentation. Or make a patched RTMTV3__MML.dat file (eg RTMTV3___URail_MML.dat or alike) that will replace mine. Still, the MML plugin must be loaded after the RTMT plugins, because it has to override the cohort contained in these. Another solution could be a separate MML.
- As your stations now use a Parent Cohort, installation of at least one of the three RTMTV3 station sets (roadtop, non-roadtop, GLR-in-Avenue) is required, because these contain the above cohort. That is the player now cannot just install only the RTMT props but not any RTMT station - installation of at least one station set is necessary. Please do not include this cohort in your plugins, as this would pose additional installation requirements, ie RTMTV3__URail_MML.dat must be loaded after ALL other plugins, which may be confusing to some players. I have not tested what happens if the cohort referenced is not present (because of the way RTMTV3 is packaged it's impossible to install any station without having the cohort installed) but why not have everything OK?
- Buttons: If you have your menu buttons controlled by the same MML (as if they were items of the same package) I think it would be nice to have buttons that look similar too - maybe somehow modify them eg change the highlight colour from yellow to redish so as to provide some differentiation. I can send you the template for these (it's in PaintShopPro format, but I can attempt saving it as a Photoshop file if you prefer). Or if you are not in a hurry I could make them myself.
- Queries. How about a custom query with train icons too?
- Maybe consider an Installer?

As for the trasit switches let me suggest the scheme described below. I tend to standardize it for all my multi-transit stations and works well. Maxis stations comply to this standard too, except for subways and El-rail stations. The settings are:
- All "through" kinds of traffic are enabled, ie pairs like 0x81,0x50,0x01,0x01 and 0x82,0x50,0x01,0x01 (including pedestrians, ie 0x81,0xF0,0x00,0x00 and 0x82,0xF0,0x00,0x00).
- All "real" switchings are in the form Outside-to-Inside MT to Pedestrian and Inside-to-Outside Pedestrian to MT (all involved MT forms included).
That is the "inside" (common) form of traffic is pedestrian, and combined with the two pedestrian-to-pedestrian switchings, these are enough to provide all MT embarking/disembarking and "hub" functionality. This is also compatible to the "parking" swithes. All transit conversions need two switchings. Examples:
1. Embarking - Riding Bus
   0x81,0xF0,0x00,0x00 and then
   0x82,0x50,0x00,0x02
2. Disembarking - Exiting train
   0x81,0x50,0x03,0x00 and then
   0x82,0xF0,0x00,0x00
3. Hub - Bus to Subway
   0x81,0x50,0x02,0x00 and then
   0x82,0xF0,0x00,0x06
4. Park and Ride - Car to GLR
   0x81,0xF0,0x01,0x00 and then
   0x82,0x50,0x00,0x07
Maxis train stations (providing parking facilities as well) are also modded this way. The subway and el stations are different cases. For El-rail stations the "inside" form of traffic is apparently "El", while subways lack the subway-through swithings (are these somehow "implied", as a result of the underground tunnels, or implemented indirectly ie converted to pedestrian and then back to subway - I don't know) and have an additional switching that looks weird, as it doesn't have a counterpart (0x82,0xF0,0x00,0x06). However, for making a multi-transit station the "inside" form of traffic should better be the same (pedestrian).

This has worked fine in all my other multi-transit stations, but with the GLR-in-Avenue ones there was a problem, either the Inside-to-Outside pedestrian-to-GLR or the Inside-to-Outside pedestrian-to-bus switch didn't work, depending on which is put first! The fix was to put an additional Outside-to-Inside pedestrian-to-MT switch (for the MT type that doesn't work). Combination with subways worked the same and was independent, ie only the GLR and bus switchings appeared to interfere. Looks like a bug or a hardcoded feature.

In your case, I don't know if this is really needed (ie if a similar problem occurs), only detailed testing can tell this.

I have seen that your stations serving subway+rail have a direct subway to rail switching, what is this needed for? I don't think this is necessary.

The transit switchings, esp foe multi-transit stations require thorough testing, ie test each MT type separately and then test the hub functionality. All should work OK. Also a sign of good modding can be that sims use the same route for the morning and the evening commute. You must examine the buildings around separately, to see if this is the case. Please note though that too many one-way roads and avenues (incl GLR-in-Avenue puzzle pieces) in the city can cause sims to choose different routes for the morning and the evening commute (esp if the trips include bus legs), without this meaning that there is something wrong with the station - just test further.

As a general assessment, the quality of this pack is very good, with few points to improve.

RippleJet

Cogeo, it's a pleasure reading your posts! :thumbsup:

Quote from: cogeo on September 28, 2007, 04:32:41 PM
Maxis stations comply to this standard too, except for subways and El-rail stations.

All "real" switchings are in the form Outside-to-Inside MT to Pedestrian and Inside-to-Outside Pedestrian to MT (all involved MT forms included).

For El-rail stations the "inside" form of traffic is apparently "El", while subways lack the subway-through swithings (are these somehow "implied", as a result of the underground tunnels, or implemented indirectly ie converted to pedestrian and then back to subway - I don't know) and have an additional switching that looks weird, as it doesn't have a counterpart (0x82,0xF0,0x00,0x06). However, for making a multi-transit station the "inside" form of traffic should better be the same (pedestrian).

I might be able to give you some more information on this, since I did some testing with subways quite a while ago.

The "Inside" is traffic that can move inside the lot (any tile of a lot). Normally this would only be pedestrians and subway (which moves under=inside the lot).
However, this also includes all traffic on TE lots. Among the in-game stations only the El-Rail is dragged through a transit enabled lot.

The "Outside" is traffic that can move along the tiles surrounding the lot. This applies to all forms of traffic; pedestrians, cars and MT.
Typical examples are the in-game railway station and bus stop, which both are placed with the traffic going alongside the station.

The reason for subway stations and El-Rail stations having the MT traffic switch on the inside is to avoid having passengers switching to/from the station from/to tracks passing along the outside of the lot.
However, that extra in-game subway switch 0x82,0xF0,0x00,0x06 allows passengers to board any subway line passing alongside the station.
Since the counterpart 0x81,0xF0,0x06,0x00 is missing though, passengers cannot get off at the station from a subway line passing next to the station.

If you would mod a normal subway station (1×1) to enable both switches 0x81,0xF0,0x06,0x00 and 0x82,0xF0,0x00,0x06,
you'd get a subway station that can connect up to three lines going north-south and three lines going east-west.

If you'd enable those same switches on the 2×2 RTMT avenue subway station, you would be able to build 4 subway lines in each direction connecting to that station.

It should be noted that the underground block that indicates the subway station does not have to be connected to the subway network, for the switch point to function.
It is enough if the subway passes somewhere beneath any tile belonging to the station lot (if the lot is larger than 1×1).
And if you would include both switches mentioned above, you wouldn't even have to build the subway lines under the lot at all, just along any of its sides.

I have seen that your stations serving subway+rail have a direct subway to rail switching, what is this needed for? I don't think this is necessary.

Direct switches between different types of MT can be used for stations where one of the traffic types is inside (subway and El-Rail).
Whether having that direct switch and thus avoiding the switch over pedestrians is advantageous is doubtful though, at least if the Transit Switch Entry Cost is 0.

Andreas

- MML: as I can see you have made a script packaged in a plugin that overrides mine. If this is installed under the folder named "NAM Underground Rail RTMT", either directly under the plugins folder or under "ebina", it won't override mine (under RTMTV3), unless the player installs RTMTV3 under a folder named "Cogeo"! So z_RTMTV3__MML_Patch_URail.dat must be installed under the RTMTV3 folder, not yours. This must be pointed out in the documentation. Or make a patched RTMTV3__MML.dat file (eg RTMTV3___URail_MML.dat or alike) that will replace mine. Still, the MML plugin must be loaded after the RTMT plugins, because it has to override the cohort contained in these. Another solution could be a separate MML.

I recommend to install all MML lots into the folder called "zz_BSC MML Mod" that I introduced with the first MML set. The "BSC" in the name doesn't mean that it couldn't be used by other developers, and for the end-user, it's handy to have all MML DATs in one place.
Andreas

cogeo

A few more points that you may consider improving could be:
- Queries: use of queries is not fully consistent, for example the roadtop and non-roadtop rail (only) stations don't use the same query. The same happens with the rail+subway stations. Defining a queries scheme for these stations is harder than for original RTMT because these involve an additional transit mode (rail). The simplest way could be subway and/or rail using the subway (only) icon and combo stations w/ bus using the combo icon. One would consider using the rail query for the rail-only station but that steam-engine icon for these stations would look rather odd. Making qustom queries might be another solution.
- Hover queries don't display icons for rail-only stations, but I'm not sure if adding another Occupant Group won't cause the lots to go under the rail menu as a side-effect, though I think it is possible to have them under both menus (really desirable?).
- The stations generate a lot of taxi automata, though the Taxi Maker Occupant Group is not used (don't really know what this occupant group does), maybe this is caused by the Building:PassengerRail occupant group.
- The rail, subway and rail+subway look almost identical (the markings are the only difference) and often they are impossible to distinguish. Consider adding a prop to the rail stations, like a (quite) bigger sign. Railway stations (even if underground) don't have just a staircase, they should have some special sign so that people know where it is.
- 2x1 statins are not as handy as 1x1 ones (because of traffic blocking). Maybe come in touch with Goaskin and check if this is really what caused problems. Use 1x1 lots if possible, they are much more convenient.

I have also some points for the underground pieces themselves:
- Intersectons and Left/Right turns to normal roads are tricky to place. Couldn't these just have ready-made road connectors, just like intersections with streets and avenues?
- Maybe there are some few wording errors, eg "rail below road" could become "rail under road" (the opinion of a native english speaker is needed).

ebina

- Capacities: not saying these are wrong, but how did you calculate them?

Capacity was decided with 1.5(Road + Rail) + Pedestrians + catalog capacity. Same capacities were used in v1. But it's only a hypothesis. I need more research.

A case of bus-stop with standard capacity.
1500 + 1.5(1000 + 3000) + 500 = 8000

- Buttons: If you have your menu buttons controlled by the same MML (as if they were items of the same package) I think it would be nice to have buttons that look similar too - maybe somehow modify them eg change the highlight colour from yellow to redish so as to provide some differentiation. I can send you the template for these (it's in PaintShopPro format, but I can attempt saving it as a Photoshop file if you prefer). Or if you are not in a hurry I could make them myself.

I agree to your suggestion. Of modifying icons, I would ask you for help. My tool can open the psd format but can't handle it properly. By the way, I'm not hurrying. $%Grinno$% I want to improve the quality as far as possible.

- Queries. How about a custom query with train icons too?

Quote from: cogeo on September 29, 2007, 06:55:02 AM
- Queries: use of queries is not fully consistent, for example the roadtop and non-roadtop rail (only) stations don't use the same query. The same happens with the rail+subway stations. Defining a queries scheme for these stations is harder than for original RTMT because these involve an additional transit mode (rail). The simplest way could be subway and/or rail using the subway (only) icon and combo stations w/ bus using the combo icon. One would consider using the rail query for the rail-only station but that steam-engine icon for these stations would look rather odd. Making qustom queries might be another solution.
- Hover queries don't display icons for rail-only stations, but I'm not sure if adding another Occupant Group won't cause the lots to go under the rail menu as a side-effect, though I think it is possible to have them under both menus (really desirable?).

I know these need to be modified. I didn't touch queries in beta1. Of service quality icons, if steam locomotive is used, people could see this lot is for the heavy rail easily. But I must admit it is odd as you said. Well, I would use steam locomotive in beta2. I hope release version have new icons(Maybe I need other creator's help).

MML related thing - I noticed need to create new construction lot for these lots. you told about Occupant Groups. If I add the "Building:Rail", lot will appear in "Rail & Depot", too. Then construction lot should be able to access from both "Rail & Depot" and "Misc Transit" menus, but RTMTV3's MML shouldn't be changed. Temporarily I return the Parent Cohort to all 0 in beta2. I will talk to MML engineer when the final version is ready.

- Maybe consider an Installer?

I think most players feel it is troublesome to choose only necessary things from among many files manually. I really want installer made.

It's my mistake :-[ not the intentional direct switch. I'll remove it in beta2.

I'm still reading that you and RippleJet mentioned. I need to learn more about the transit switch. Different types of transit switch order are not tested yet. I try to check it as well.

Quote from: cogeo on September 29, 2007, 06:55:02 AM
- The rail, subway and rail+subway look almost identical (the markings are the only difference) and often they are impossible to distinguish. Consider adding a prop to the rail stations, like a (quite) bigger sign. Railway stations (even if underground) don't have just a staircase, they should have some special sign so that people know where it is.

It would be nice. I will search the BAT stations or prop pack.

- 2x1 statins are not as handy as 1x1 ones (because of traffic blocking). Maybe come in touch with Goaskin and check if this is really what caused problems. Use 1x1 lots if possible, they are much more convenient.

I want to use 1x1 lots if it is possible. I'll decide it after getting a report from GoaSkin. I hope he bring good news. In any case, I make 1x1 lot again as I did in v1.

cogeo

Quote from: ebina on September 29, 2007, 11:40:33 PM
I know these need to be modified. I didn't touch queries in beta1. Of service quality icons, if steam locomotive is used, people could see this lot is for the heavy rail easily. But I must admit it is odd as you said. Well, I would use steam locomotive in beta2. I hope release version have new icons(Maybe I need other creator's help).
Well, the first thing to do is to define how they should look. This is easy for single-transit-mode stations, they just need a single icon, and the existing ones are quite OK, I think (the steam-engine icon may look weird, but it's just a symbol; using an elecric engine icon may look better but the downside is that players may think it's something different). But for mutli-transit-mode stations this is more complicated (more complicated than RTMT cause you have an additional transit mode). RTMT uses a combined bus/subway icon for combo stations, and the query already looks "stretched" and somewhat weird. How will you accomodate three transit modes in one icon, and how big would it be? This is something you will have to decide. Ninja'a "Boulevard" station uses a custom icon, supposed to represent all transit modes.

MML related thing - I noticed need to create new construction lot for these lots. you told about Occupant Groups. If I add the "Building:Rail", lot will appear in "Rail & Depot", too. Then construction lot should be able to access from both "Rail & Depot" and "Misc Transit" menus, but RTMTV3's MML shouldn't be changed. Temporarily I return the Parent Cohort to all 0 in beta2. I will talk to MML engineer when the final version is ready.
If you want to make a separate MML, I would suggest that you use the same technique, ie inherit the Conditional Building = True property from a common Parent Cohort instead of setting it in each building exemplar. The MMLs typically contain copies of the building exemplars with the Conditional Building = True property added. As you have 5 sets of stations (for the various capacities) you would need 5 MML plugins as well, which is far more complicated. Having your stations inheriting from a common parent cohort requires only the modified cohort be included in the MML (not the building exemplars) and this is much simpler.

It would be nice. I will search the BAT stations or prop pack.
It would be nice to make this property optional and configurable (by installing am optional propfile) like RTMT's bus-signs. Then the players could select the property of their preference, or even make their own, with their favourite company logo.

ebina

Just little but new progress...

Capacity - From result of test, I decided to use current capacities. In the Traffic Congestion Data View, when only cars run on the puzzle pieces, and number of cars reached over 1,000, color turned into red. It changed like road. Next, only trains run on there, number of trains reached over 3,000, turned into red. It changed like rail, as well as a case of cars. I think it means U-Rail is actually working as a double-decker.

Signs for heavy rail station. Should they be bigger?

Like RTMTV3's bus signs, they are replaceable but different signs cannot coexist at same time, same city.

Olasz

ebina

Quote from: Olasz on October 08, 2007, 08:48:08 AMthe signs look great  :thumbsup:
Thanks. These are my 1st BAT, I'm not so confident about quality.

Beta2 test is proceeding smoothly. All transit switches are working well than beta1. Cogeo and RippleJet, thanks for showing your knowledge.

By the way, here are two new phone booths, using MAS71's prop. Requires YAMATO_TextureAndProps_ver102.dat from MAS71 Props Pack Vol01.

I named the files Tokyo, but these types of phone booth can be seen in most places of Japan.

ebina

EDIT: Sorry for inconvenience. Beta version will not be available for the present.

I have changed these points.

- "Building: Rail" occupant group has been added to fix the hover query of passenger train station. Then I thought if only one lot is in another menu, it is a bit inconvenient. So, I have added "Building: Rail" OG to all lots. They can be selected from both "Rail & Depot" and "Misc. Transit".

As for the hover query, all lots show the steam locomotive, even if the lot is a bus stop. You may have thought that it is odd, but it's not bad to see "this is on the rail tunnel" IMHO.

- Transit switches have been improved.

- Custom queries have been added. Since I had no good idea about new icon for heavy rail though I hate the steam locomotive icon, temporarily I used subway's icon in different color. This may need to be changed in the release version. If someone have good idea for heavy rail icon for these, let me know.

- With Cogeo's permission, several files have been added from RTMTV3. Now U-Rail lots can be used without depending on RTMTV3 lots.
NOTE: If the lot files are loaded after the "Props" sub folder, game will load exemplar from lot file instead of files in the "Props" sub folder. In this case, you'll notice in game some props(bus sign, phone booth, etc) are hidden. So, any of "NAM_URailRTMT_Lots_**.dat" need to be installed to the same directory as other RTMTV3 lots.

- Sign for heavy rail station has been added. At the moment, can be selected from 3 signs.
NOTE: For the same reason as the above, station sign file needs to be loaded after the lot file. And you can't use different signs at same time, same city, as well as the RTMTV3's bus sign. Install only one of these files.

- Rail station and subway station have been changed to 1x1 size. Also 1x1 bus stop, bus/subway station, bus/rail station and bus/rail/subway station have been added.

Non road-top lots have not been changed except adding station sign. Sorry for lack of a picture.

- Included translated languages, but they are not merged yet for I can't assure there's no error in the new 4 texts for 2x1 lots of each language. If testers found the error in your language, let me know. I'll fix it with translator. As for other languages which aren't translated yet, they will be added in next update.

- Menu Management Lot related thing has been removed temporarily.

- Changed filenames are similar to RTMTV3 files. If you have already experienced the installation of RTMTV3, installation of these lots won't be too hard.

To testers, if the old lots are in your cities, please bulldoze all of them, and delete the files before installing beta2.

If this new version couldn't fix the bugs on Mac that I said in the first post, I will make another pack for Mac with 2x1 size lots only. 1x1 lots might be only for the PC version.

EDIT: I forgot to write how to enable PATHs on road-top lots. After plopping the lot, trace(or click, in a case of 1x1 lot) the road by road-tool.   

z

Whatever happened to these stations?   ()what()

ebina

Quote from: z on July 22, 2008, 02:06:01 PM
Whatever happened to these stations?   ()what()
Original goal of this project has been canceled. Sorry for not posting any information about that. I was thinking that I may restart this someday, so I didn't announce cancellation of the project officially.

If you look at the date of last update, you'll see it is a few days after the start of mott's topic about TE Lots. After reading his topic, I learned what I was trying to create is bad for the simulator, so I stopped this project. I like realistic and compact design of RTMT, but now I'd prefer to create simulator friendly lots.

Well, even if I restart this, I'll have to clear up which files are which version for I have mixed up beta2 and beta3(untested by other members).

j-dub

I understand this project may not pick up til later, but if these are stations, then why are these a problem? Can you confirm if the subway crossing the underground rail is stable? Having underground rail stations would be nice, because I have not gotten regular stations to work for rail under road.  I actually did get the default train stations to work with the raised rail puzzle pieces. Maybe because those don't have two networks like rail under road? If we can only have stations lotted, and not puzzled in between Avenue in GLR, then why not this? Whats the difference?

z

I would like to second j-dub's opinions here, and add some thoughts of my own that will hopefully get you to reconsider your position.  First of all, I think it's far from established that RTMT stations are bad for the traffic simulator.  On one hand, they may have certain local effects, but are these effects big enough to have a noticeable effect on game play?  My experience is a definite "no" to the last question.  I had many cities in a region running NAM and CAM quite successfully, but using standard roadside MT stations.  These cities were very urban, were on midsize tiles, and typically had populations of a little under a million Sims.  They had been run for a long time and had reached a stable existence.  When I discovered the RTMT stations, I went through all of these cities and painstakingly replaced virtually all MT bus and subway stations with RTMT stations.  This was done both from a realism standpoint, and to gain extra real estate.  After the transition, there was no perceptible difference in the way any of the cities ran.  None at all. Nothing.  And this is for highly urban cities, with RTMT stations every half dozen squares or so.  Also, please notice that cogeo still has his RTMT stations available for download.

But what about the theoretical arguments against RTMT stations?  I don't think that the actual evidence supports them.  For one thing, there's my personal experience that I have just described.  I continue to use RTMT stations almost exclusively in all my cities, and my experience with the traffic simulators is just like everybody else's, which wouldn't be expected if the arguments against these stations were true.  For more details, please see the discussion I had with jplumbley in TE Lots, Transit Switches, and You.

Even if the arguments against RTMT stations are true on the micro level, experience such as mine says that they are irrelevant on the macro level.  And if a city full of RTMT stations has no perceptible effect on the traffic simulator, certainly there's even less to worry about with a few RTMT stations on underground rail.  Even if there's a fair amount of use of underground rail in a city, I'm sure that the number of stations supporting it would be more than an order of magnitude less than all the bus and subway stations in the city.  So please reconsider.  Those people who are opposed to RTMT stations are under no obligation to use them.

Meanwhile, I have another interest in these stations.  I am currently trying to implement a limited access subway system, where subway lines can travel all over a city, but which only allows Sims to change lines at designated points instead of at every subway intersection.  Such a limited access subway system would allow complete elimination of the eternal commuter problem, which would in turn allow true long distance commuting between cities.  It would also allow subways to pass under Big Dig tunnels without interfering with their traffic, as well as have a host of other useful functions.  Please see the first post in A solution to the eternal commuter problem for further details of my proposal.

As for what this has to do with underground rail, it turns out that the easiest way to implement a limited access subway system is by mating the subway with underground rail.  The last post in the above thread explains how I propose to do that.  All that's necessary for this to be ready to use is a reduced functionality version of one of your existing RTMT stations for underground rail.  Specifically, I need a station that permits transfers between underground rail and subway only - no pedestrians, no buses, etc.  If you are willing to create such a station, I would be extremely grateful, and I think that there are many people who would appreciate the benefits of the limited access subway system that would then be possible.  Full details of the requirements for this station are in the last post of the thread I mentioned.

So please reconsider your position on your project as a whole, which I'm sure will be appreciated by many people.  And please consider creating this one station for me, which I think will also be of great benefit.  I'll look forward to hearing from you, either in this thread or in the thread I mentioned, or by PM.