• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

WEST END

Started by paroch, September 01, 2007, 03:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paroch

Hi all West End and Devo 08 followers.  I've been out all evening, so have not had the chance to produce a proper update - apologies.  Also I will give full replies in the next update  :)

But I could not let the final matches of Groups A and B pass without at least giving you the scores.

So yesterday in Balnavia we had two matches - one great game and one ALL TIME CLASSIC:

Nullabor County  2-0  Tales at TeaTime
       With the pressure off and already with no chance of progressing Nullabor delivered their first win of the tournament.  Congratulations go to ManuelR's team for their spirit, but it was a case of too little, too late. The Tea Cat's team win the group and progress to the last eight.

Imaginia  2-3  Urland

Mrtlrln's team was 2-0 up with 25 minutes to play but collapsed and let Nardo's team back in with one of the greatest comebacks in Devo history to snatch a 3-2 victory in the 92nd minute!  Urland progress to the quarter finals and Imaginia have to go home.

And today in West End....first at the New Baastenveld Stadium in Kingly:

Warsaw  0-1  Capporth City
       Warsaw fought valiantly, but despite a few half chances never really looked like upsetting the Capporthians.  I watched this game in the pub where a couple of RL Germans supported their team with much voice and passion.  Ans Michael Ballack's power driver of a free kick in the 49th minute was enough to secure the win and take them into the next round. Congratualtions to Bat, and a sad farewell to Alex/Warszawa's team.  But hopefully you'll stick around to provide support to the remaining teams.

And over at Saint Mary's Stadium in Charing Cross:

Shosaloza  0-1  West End

West End became the onle team so far to play three and win three.  This was an efficient victory and whilst they were comfortable winners on the night, you can't help but have a nagging feeling that they cannot go all the way in this tournament.  Ennedi's team could not be faulted for their effort but they lacked a cutting edge to give them the chance of victory that they needed to have any chance of progressing

And so, from groups A and B, the quarter finals line up as follows:

Thursday 19th in Balnavia:  Tales at TeaTime  vs  Capporth City

Friday 20th in West End:    West End  vs  Urland

I am out discussing tactics with another Devo 08 manager tomorrow evening and hope to provide a proper update here on Wednesday after Group C in Balnavia and Group D in West End complete their group games.

ImaginiaNullabor CountyWarsaw and Shosaloza, it has been fun having you in Devo 08.  Your chance of lifting the trophy has gone, but please continue to visit West End and Balnavia and give support to your fellow MD'ers and help make Devo 08 a fun and successful event.

And as a continued small teaser, here is a picture from the Fans Zone in Bilic Park, Charing Cross where WestEnders watched today's match....

'til next time............ $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

bat

Really good match reports there, paroch! Also fantastic picture of that fan zone! Nice park around it!
Looking forward to more...
(and to the quarter final with hopefully again with the right results at Thursday)

MandelSoft

()sad() Imaginia couldn't make it to the 2nd round. In that case: "Hup Holland!"
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

paroch

REPLIES:

Pat:  Thanks Pat - I'm glad New Castia could play a part in Devo 08.

Joan:  LOL, trust you to spot that pic!  And the Sweden/Condor Bay player in the pic plays for my own beloved West Ham Utd in RL!  As for the full update from Charing Cross, that may take a while to put together.

Dave:  Long time no see here in West End.  And as for update speed - well time zones are working more in my favour than yours  ;)

Bat:  Thanks my friend and good luck for your next match - should be a real good game.

Sebes:  Hehehe, well if Nieuwe Nederland win their next match then I think their semi final would be in West End, so we'll be sure to build a bigger fans zone.

Dustin:  Yeah, the defending champs have not done so well, but I'm sure they'll put up a fight in their last match.  And of course, I forgot to say THANK YOU publicly for the tables which you kindly provided.

Mrtnrln
:  That was painful to watch.  A two goal lead with 25 minutes to play and to lose 3-2 - ouch!  And yes, Hup Holland, I agree!

UPDATE 48:  18th June 2008

It's the final two matches from Group D today, so let's go over to Wardour's New Merry Park for:

United Stats of SC4D  vs.  Mallorca
Despite going a goal ahead, Dustin's men become the only team at Devo 08 to lose all three games.  Luckily for all of us here at Devotions, whilst his skills as a football coach have to be questions, his skills as the official SC4D statistician remain undoubted.  And as for Jeronij's impressive Mallorca side, it is three wins from three games, so along with West End and Nieuw Nederland they are looking very strong.

48.01  Match pics:

And finally over to the Piccadully Stadium for:

Watersford  vs.  Condor Bay
I have to admit that I thought Masochist's Condor Bay would be too experienced for Watersford and take the prize here.  But right from the start the energy and crisp passing from Diggis's team was very slick and the first goal was a real beauty.  Condor Bay never really troubled Watersford and when the second goal went in it really was game over.  So Diggis's side had a slow start to the tournament but have picked up as the matches have progressed.  Could they cause an upset when they face Nieuwe Nederland over in Balnavia on Saturday?

48.02  Match pics:

And the final Group Tables are:

[tabular type=6]
GROUP A
[row]
[head]
TEAM[/head]
[head]
POINTS[/head]
[head]
GOAL DIFFERENCE[/head]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Tales at TeaTime[/data]
[data]
6[/data]
[data]
+2[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Urland[/data]
[data]
6[/data]
[data]
0[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Imaginia[/data]
[data]
3[/data]
[data]
-2[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Nullabor County[/data]
[data]
3[/data]
[data]
0[/data]
[/row]
[/tabular]

[tabular type=6]
GROUP B
[row]
[head]
TEAM[/head]
[head]
POINTS[/head]
[head]
GOAL DIFFERENCE[/head]
[/row]
[row]
[data]West End[/data]
[data]
9[/data]
[data]
+3[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Capporth City[/data]
[data]
6[/data]
[data]
+2[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Warsaw[/data]
[data]
1[/data]
[data]
-2[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Shosaloza[/data]
[data]
1[/data]
[data]
-3[/data]
[/row]
[/tabular]

[tabular type=6]
GROUP C
[row]
[head]
TEAM[/head]
[head]
POINTS[/head]
[head]
GOAL DIFFERENCE[/head]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Nieuw Nederland[/data]
[data]
9[/data]
[data]
+8[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Qumma[/data]
[data]
4[/data]
[data]
-1[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Balnavia[/data]
[data]
2[/data]
[data]
-2[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Trieste[/data]
[data]
1[/data]
[data]
-5[/data]
[/row]
[/tabular]

[tabular type=6]
GROUP D
[row]
[head]
TEAM[/head]
[head]
POINTS[/head]
[head]
GOAL DIFFERENCE[/head]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Mallorca[/data]
[data]
9[/data]
[data]
+5[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Watersford[/data]
[data]
6[/data]
[data]
0[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]Condor Bay[/data]
[data]
3[/data]
[data]
-1[/data]
[/row]
[row]
[data]United Stats of SC4D[/data]
[data]
0[/data]
[data]
-4[/data]
[/row]
[/tabular]

So we must say goodbye to Balnavia, Trieste, Condor Bay and The United Stats of SC4D.  Thank you all for taking part, I hope you've had some fun out of it.  Of course, Dave still has some work to do and hopefully the rest of you will still pop in to give your support.

And so the quarter finals line up like this:

QF1  Thursday at The Riley Morris Stadium in Gladstone, Balnavia     
Tales at TeaTime  vs.  Capporth City

QF2  Friday at the New Baastenveld Stadium in Kingly, West End
West End  vs.  Urland
QF3  Saturday at Necastle Football Ground in Balnavia
Nieuwe Nederland  vs.  Watersford

QF4  Sunday at Saint Mary's Stadium, Charing Cross, West End
Mallorca  vs.  Qumma
The winners of QF1 and QF2 meet in the semi finals at Gladstone on Wednesday 25th
And the Winners of QF3 and QF 4 meet in their semi final on Thursday 26th in Piccadilly.

West End looks forward to welcoming Urland and also our old friends Qumma who will have fond memories of the last time one of their teams played in West End.

And for the teams leaving West End to play in Balnavia - Capporth City and Watersford - good luck, may the West End force be with you  :D

And now for some more teasers from Charing Cross.  I'm struggling to pull together a proper update yet, so here are some random shots from across this new quad........

48.03  Suburbs:

48.04  Commercial Avenues:

48.05  High Rise Buildings:

48.06  Waterfront Developments:

48.07  Villages:

48.08  Pedestrianised Commercial Zones:

48.09  Transport hubs:

48.10  Farms and TPW Bridges:

48.11  TPW/Maxis Water Transitions:

Charing Cross is going to have a bit of everything!

'til next time............. $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Diggis

Rats,  now I have to face Niewe Nederland.  I was fearing that.  They have looked especially impressive, but I have a few tricks up my sleeves....  Unfortunatly I'm in a t-shirt so much space for them.  :D

Great start to Charing Cross, will be interesting to see how you handle having a more diverse plugins folder.  ;)

threestooges

Great competition so far. I like the way you've been presenting it too. I'm looking forward to the formal update and the upcoming games, but the pics you have shown so far are great already. Can't wait to see them in a bit more detail later. Take it easy and best of luck in the upcoming round.
-Matt

Masochist

Awww...oh, well, at least we were in it (though I can't really say we went out with a fight :-[)...

paroch, thank you for inviting me into the tourney!  It's the first event I've ever done with multiple MD's/CJ's since I joined the SC4 community back in Dec. '05.  It was really something special! 

I'll keep watching and rooting for for the other teams...I'm thinking Mallorca all the way :thumbsup:!

As for your latest update, I love that farms picture!  It's amazingly realistic in my eyes the way the avenue subtly crosses the water, and the way all the big trailer trucks use the tiny road...I live down a road like that.  Trust me, its a hazard to your health not to look both ways when leaving for town :P!

The commercial avenue also looks really nice...I'd love to take a walk down there and enjoy the trees (I don't know why, but the barren trees in SC4 can sometimes add more life to the game than the evergreens and such).  If I can make a suggestion, for picture 48.11, I'd add a bit more flora or rocks to help hide the transition a bit...it's rather blatant as it is now.

Anyways...great update :thumbsup:!  If I'm not mistaken, this is my first or second comment in here...hopefully I can do something about that after all the support you give me :thumbsup:!
(Under Construction)

Jmouse

OK, what gives?! I keep seeing "non-updates" that look 10 times better than any of my "real" updates ever did! :D

Charing Cross is looking great, Paul.
Love the suburbs with just enough green space to open things up a bit. Brings to mind a RL vs game issue I've been thinking about, especially after watching Ennedi deal with forestation. Your average yard simply doesn't have nearly as many trees as in-game yards, but making them au naturale doesn't look right either. For example, my lot is 300' wide by 700' deep (91.5m x 214.0m) and has five huge red oak trees on it - that's it! It's beautiful but re-creating in game wouldn't look right at all IMO.

Anyway, I digress! I see you're using GLR again, and you're doing a good job of working it into its surroundings (unless it's the other way around!). 48.09 Transport hubs looks great, and it's sharing space with a freight line. And of course, the urban areas are always a treat to look at, so I hope to see more of the same.

Later...
Joan

P.S. Best of luck to all the QF teams. All are my favorites so I guess it's just as well that I can't watch the games!  ;)

bat

Nice work on the match reports there! Also great new teasers!
Looking forward to more...

warconstruct

Hello Paul ,

I see that you always made splendid update the last is extraordinary !
I like much the terminus of the tram with the station, it is very successful !
For the preceding update, excuse me not to have noticed them earlier, but it really are very successful .

I liked much the surmounted park of the marina with this splendid screen (festival of the music)  $%Grinno$%

I await with impatient your next update my friend and to re-examine your beautiful work !

As regards the competition I am disappointed of my team but I will look at the other teams with my more great attention.
one only team will go until the end, and I wish good courage and good luck with all !

Paul
Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

penguin007

Your new area looks excellent so far and I like your use of the plopable water and also the suburbs look great

Cant wait to see the full update

Will

Nardo69

Nice Update here (and no unnecessary level crossings ... ;)  :D )

Small detail, in 48.03 you might redo that curb between the railway station and the roundabout. (Big Nardo is watching you! ;)  :D )

I do love that transport hub, and that underwater cliff between maxis and ploppable water is something I saw somewhere IRL

About football, well, the Baklava stocks has been filled up so that the guys don't have to fight about IF they win.

And then ... Urland - Capporth (Don't do something wrong, bat!)

This will be hard for me ...

sebes

Charing Cross is turning into another West End jewel... the transporthub shown in 48.09 is absolutely very realistic, and very well laid out. The contrast with pictures 48.10&11 could not be bigger, but they have the same level of perfecty (is that a word??)

Quote from: Diggis on June 18, 2008, 02:38:12 PM
Unfortunatly I'm in a t-shirt
Be warned: coaches in t-shirt are eaten by the orange lion Diggis  ;)

It's a wise decission to expand the fanzone already Paul - the legion will first finish some business in New Castle, and than be heading for West End. Prepare for this: (link) (Dutch spoken but the video speaks for itself...)

Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Nardo69

Seems to be my special baklava diet pays off  :satisfied:

Only thing that's left to do is explaining them that it is NOT NECESSARY and rather dangerous in the long run to start scoring after you caught your first goal(s) ...  &mmm

That goal was, well, 999 out of 1000 times you're out, this was the 1000 times ...!  ()stsfd()

Baklava ratio doubled until the semi final!  ;)  :D

paroch

Hey Bernhard,

You know, that was painful to watch  &cry2

The update is not ready yet and my match report will be posted tomorrow.  When West End scored with just 90 seconds remaining you can imagine my reaction.  And yes, Urland kept believing til the end, so full conrgratulations to coach Nardo and his team.

And for anyone who has not seen the result:

West End 1-1 Urland (Urland win 3-1 on penalties).

I hear a rumour that Baklava has been outlawed across West End from this evening ;)

'til next time..........&cry2 &cry2 &cry2

Ennedi

Paul and Bernhard - it was a great match, congratulations to both!  :thumbsup:

Urland team goes to the semifinal thanks to their great spirit  &apls

But West End boys were fantastic too! Don't worry Paul, our girl fans from Shosaloza are still in West End and they are great fans of your team! :D

PS. I'm very curious of Charing Cross, your teasers look very nice! :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

warszawa

Hey Paul, hope everything has been well since I was away. Glad to hear that Warsaw is still in the game :)

I love the Commercial Avenue and high-rise buildings pictures; they bring out the realism of the game. Is it possible if your could give me a link for the tram lines you use? I've had a search at SimTropolis and can't seem to actually find the one that you use. Thanks very much.

I will see you later mate, off to a fete now.

Alex
Visit my Warsaw, Poland MD.

sebes

Unfortunately Coach Diggis was wearing long sleeves - and what a tricks he had hidden in there. He brought Dynamite into the stadium and blew up the dreams of the Orange Lion!

The Nieuw Nederland fans are realizing that they will not be travelling to West End and that the Orange Legion will not take over West-End fanzones.. The cup will not travel with the to Nieuw Nederland this year - our little party is over...

\

Of course we will still follow the result of the other teams. We wonder what tricks coach Diggis still has not yet revealed; how many Baklava coach Nardo has ordered to ensure that his team makes kebab of coach Bat's men, who in exchange, are ready to make Hackfleisch of the Urlandish guys.

Coach Jeronij be warned: you're the only poule winner still in the tournament - don't let coach Nedalezz turn Devo'08 into the tournament of "second placers"!
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

paroch

First up - sorry for not posting this reply sooner.  Unfortunately not had the time to pull an update and replies together before - so now I can give you replies, all the Quarter Final action plus an update!

REPLIES:

Shaun:  Well, as Sebes pointed out I think you had the long sleeve shirt on for the match!  And yes, the large plugins folder is throwing up some interesting combos  ;)

Matt
:  Thanks.  I'm glad you've been enjoying the tournie so far.  It does add a different dimension to watching the RL matches - can't stop myself thinking of the MDs involved!  And hopefully you'll like the new pics from Charing Cross.

Isaac:  Welcome to West End.  I keep a track of who pops in here and yes, it's your first visit - so a big WELCOME.  I'm glad you've enjoyed taking part in Devo 08.  It's the second tournie West End has been involved in hosting and I suspect I'll do something else in the future!  As for Mallorca - well as I type this they are due to face Qumma for a place in the Semis - so who knows - it's funny I want Spain to win but Qumma is my all time favourite MD, plus Fursan FC (from Qumma) won the first tournie, so I have mixed emotions.  Not that I have anything against Mallorcs (it is very impressive after all) but West End and Qumma have ties!!  BTW, you know I like Condor Bay loads, so hopefully West End and Condor Bay will have some more interaction somewhere down the line.
Anyways, I'm rambling now!  Thanks for your comments, I'm pleased you liked the pics and yes, I have re-worked the TPW/Maxis transition but I cannot get it just how I want it.

Joan:  Haha, yes a non-update  :D .  Well I've spent a bit of time in Charing Cross (although as I type have not taken the pics yet!) so I hope you like the proper update.  And wow, that is some "yard" you have there.  I know what you mean though - I guess it's a case of getting the texture of it right.  I'll have to think about lotting up some houses with BIG gardens.  As for the GLR, this time it has a specific purpose.  It runs from the mainline railway station over to the St Mary's Stadium Complex.  And makes a few stops en-route.

Bat
:  Thanks as always, and congrats on reaching the Semi Final, I liked your pic in your MD to celebrate.

Paul
:  Good to see you here and thank you for your kind words.  And it's a shame Trieste did not do better at Devo 08 - maybe next time!

Will:  Thanks for your comment - hopefully you'll like the full update.  I've only just spotted your own, new MD - so I will be over soon to look more fully and comment.

Bernhard
:  I'm glad you noticed the lack of badly placed crossings!  As for 48.03, I'm not sure what you mean by the "curb" - feel free to post a picture with arrows or whatever to describe what you mean.  And as for the football - that was hard for me to believe.  West End were so close but the heart of coach Nardo and the Urland players did not stop believing, so I have to say congratulations.  I know it will be tough for you to watch the next game, a German living in Trukey, with Turkey representing Urland!!  I guess you can't lose.

Sebes:  I'm pleased you like Charing Cross - not sure about a jewel, but I am liking it so far!  And as for the football - it was good to see the Oranje Army in such good spirits before the game against Watersford over in Balnavia.  I have met Shaun, and feel I know you so it was always going to be tough, but I think you know, with no England in the Euros, Holland and Spain were my choices of heart.
Still, it was a good game and tough for the Nieuwe Nederland team to have a bad game on that day.  I am sure there will be a future Devo event and NN will be there.  And those pics you post - any real football fan knows exactly how they feel.  Supporting both West Ham and England, I know that feeling better than most  :'(

Adam:  Great pics, thanks for posting them.  And the Shosazolan's are hopefully going to stay to watch the final.  They are always welcome in West End.  And here is more of Charing Cross.

Alex
:  Ah, well Warsaw are now gone, so your fans must now follow another team.  It has been a pleasure having Warsaw fans here in West End.  Feel free to stay a while longer!  And the tram lines are part of the NAM - there is a link on the front page of the SC4D site.  But I'll dig our the link and PM you.

UPDATE 49 - 22nd June 2008

Well, now the four Quarter Finals are done, so lets have a round up of the results.............

Thursday 19th - Riley Morris Stadium, Gladstone, Balnavia
Tales at TeaTime  vs.  Capporth City
Capporth City booked their place in the semi-finals of Devo 08 by seeing off a below-par Tales at TeaTime side in Gladstone.

Bastian Schweinsteiger sidefooted in the first goal

and his free-kick created the second for the head of Miroslav Klose.

Nuno Gomes finished from close range to give Derry's men hope

but they failed to defend another Schweinsteiger free-kick and Michael Ballack headed the third.

Tales at TeaTime substitute Helder Postiga pulled one back in the dying stages but there was to be no grandstand finish.

Tales at TeaTime had looked so impressive in qualifying for the knockout stages but Derry's reign as coach ended in disappointing fashion.

Derry, who takes over as Chelsea boss next month, had suggested their lack of height might be exposed by a physically superior Capporth side.

But it was a failure to defend set-pieces that proved their downfall.

In contrast, Capporth Cith gave an accomplished display despite suspended coach Bat having to watch the game from the stands.

Tales at TeaTime  2-3  Capporth City

Friday 20th - New Baastenveld Stadium, Kingly, West End
West End  vs.  Urland

West End fans in the fountains of Kingly before the game.

Urland fans enjoy a traditional kebab served in one of the many kebab houses in Kingly.  (Baklava is now only served under the counter).

Urland will meet Capporth City in the Devo 08 semi-final after beating West End 3-1 on penalties after a dramatic extra-time finale in Kingly.

Ivan Klasnic  headed West End in front with seconds left

- only for Urland's Semih Senturk to volley the equaliser with the last kick of the game.

Arda Turan, Semih and Hamit Altintop scored in the shoot-out for Urland.

Luke Meldrew, Ivan Rakitic missed for West End and Urland keeper Rustu saved the deciding kick from Mladen Petric.
It was astonishing finish to a dreadful game, especially for Urland keeper Rustu, who made an awful error that looked to have given West End victory before his free-kick set up Semih for the leveller as referee Roberto Rosetti from New Castia prepared to blow the final whistle.

West End coach Paroch, who had celebrated what he thought was a famous victory with his players only seconds earlier, could not lift his deflated players and they looked a beaten side even before the penalty shoot-out.

Urland, in contrast grasped the lifeline and Devo 08's great survivors and late show specialists were through again, having led matches for only nine minutes in the entire tournament.

West End looked devastated as the penalty shoot-out started, and they got off to the worst possible start when Meldrew placed his kick wide.

Arda, Semih and Hamit scored convincingly for Urland, but only Serna scored for West End with Rakitic missing and Rustu - the most relieved man in the stadium after his late mistake - saving from Petric.

West End  1-1  Urland  (1-3 on penalties)

Saturday 21st - Newcastle Football Ground, Newcastle, Balnavia
Nieuwe Nederland  vs.  Watersford

Watersford's Andrei Arshavin was the architect as they dumped Nieuwe Nederland out of Devo 08 after extra time.

Watersford took the lead in normal time when Roman Pavlyuchenko volleyed home

only for Ruud van Nistelrooy to head in an 86th-minute leveller for the Nieuwe Dutch.

But the brilliant Arshavin tormented Sebes' side throughout and he crossed for Dmitri Torbinski to prod home.

Arshavin then sealed a semi-final spot in the 116th minute as he ran through and fired low past Edwin van der Sar.

Watersford almost had to play with 10 men in extra time after Denis Kolodin was sent off by New Castia official, Lubos Michel in stoppage time, only for the referee to reverse his decision after a chat with one of his assistants.

So despite looking the best team at Devo 08, Sebes and his team return home, empty handed.

Nieuwe Nederland  1-3  Watersford

Sunday 22nd - Saint Mary's Stadium, Charing Cross, West End
Mallorca  vs.  Qumma

Fans of Mallorca and Qumma enjoy a sunny day in Charing Cross before kick off.

Mallorca beat Qumma 4-2 on penalties to reach the semi-finals of Devo 08 after a dour goalless draw in Charing Cross.

Marcos Senna came closest in normal time when Qumma keeper Gianluigi Buffon fumbled his shot on to a post.

Mallorca keeper Iker Casillas was the hero in the shoot-out, saving from Daniele de Rossi and Antonio di Natale.

Daniel Guiza saw his spot-kick saved by Buffon, but Charing Corss Saint's Cesc Fabregas slid home the crucial penalty in his home stadium to set up a last four clash with Watersford.

Mallorca  0-0  Qumma  (4-2 on penalties)

So the Semi Finals line up like this...........

Wednesday 25th:  Capporth City  vs.  Urland - Balnavia

Thursday 26th:  Watersford  vs.  Mallorca - Piccadilly Stadium, Piccadilly, West End

Which means three of the teams who played their group games in West End make the semis.  Good luck to all teams left in - please feel free to post your thoughts, your pictures and your hopes here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now to the Charing Cross update..............

Charing Cross is a medium sized town on the banks of the River Dinnium - the main river that flows through West End.  In fact, most of the large built up areas in West End are either close to the river, or the coast.

So far, Charing Cross has a population of 79,300, although this will increase and is likely to peak at about 92,000.

The main part of Charing Cross lies to the south of the Dinnium, and other key parts of Charing Cross that have already been developed are Saint Mary's and Thistle Point.  Charing Cross sits close by to Kingly, the city with a large Dutch population and sometimes compared to Amsterdam.  In the other direction is Wardour and people from Charing Cross commute to both cities to work.

Charing Cross is surrounded by a lot of farmland, but its main source of employment is the commercial sector, with 30,000 jobs at present.  Most of these are in shops and offices.

Here's a region overview to give you an idea of where Charing Cross is located:

49.01  Region Overview:

The yellow dots show three of the stadia hosting Devo 08.  The other one (Piccadilly) is a long way to the east.

Now you know where Charing Cross is, lets zoom in a bit....

49.02  Charing Cross (west):

The city centre is pretty much in the middle of the picture, running parallel with the river.  In the bottom right is Thistle Point, and the stadium is in Saint Mary's.  You can see that there is still room for some development in Charing Cross - but it will not go all the way to the river, that will be left for some industrials and also a nature reserve.

49.03  Charing Cross (east):

Over on the north side of the river, you have the Saint Mary's peninsular, which is home to the stadium complex, the marina and much commercial activity.  It is one of the most sought after places to live in Charing Cross.

In this update we are going to focus on Saint Mary's.  This is where the stadium the hosted tonight's Mallorca versus Qumma match, so it seems appropriate to start there.

49.04  Saint Mary's Peninsular 1:

You can see a ferry heading into St Mary's Marina.  Many fans head to the stadium this way.  You can also see St Mary's Island at the top of the picture, but we'll save that for another day.  From up here, you can also imagine the views that you can get from the towers on Thistle Point.

49.05  Saint Mary's Peninsular 2:

Here you can see what a great Bat the stadium is.  It is Saint Mary's Stadium, in Southampton, England, home to the RL Southampton.  Here in West End it is home to Charing Cross Saints.  Down in the bottom right of this picture is Silver Dock - let's take a closer look.

49.06  Silver Dock:

Ferries from Silver Dock head to Thistle Point and Charing Cross Marina.

49.07  Tissier Walk:

The apartments on either side of the Tissier Walk are the ones where many people want to live.  The Tissier Walk is a popular place to hang out on a sunny day, where people stroll along there down to the riverside.

49.08  Stadium Transport:

As well as the two ferry terminals, there is also the tram.  Here you can see a tram coming into the station.  There are also four parking garages which are part of Caspervg's great modular parking set - nice one Casper!  And there is the NUTs Market where they were doing a roaring trade in Qumma and Mallorca shirts and scarves today!

49.09  Fans Zone:

And this is where those not fortunate enough to get a ticket watched the match.

49.10  Saint Mary's Marina - Ferry Dock:

Here's a ferry just about to leave for Charing Cross Marina. 

49.11  Saint Mary's Marina - Shops:

This place is popular regardless of whether there is a match on!  It's the first time I've used the boats in the marina, maybe I squashed them in against that sea wall a bit!

49.12  Stadium Entrance and Park:

Here is the main entrance to the stadium.  The park tends to get full of fans sitting in the sun, drinking beer.  You also get a nice view of the parking area, plus the bus station.

49.13  Penalties:

The match goes to extra time, then penalties.  Those over in the fans zone can't bear the tension.

49.14  Night Time:

And that is it, the match is over.  Charing Cross hosted four matches during Devo 08, and now it's time for the city to get back to normal.  The fans leave.  Qumma fans head to the airport and Mallorca fans now try to get tickets for the Semi Final against Diggis's Watersford in Piccadilly on Thursday.  That's got the potential to be a great game, Watersford are starting to play well, so anything could happen.

I also guess I need to develop around Piccadilly Stadium a bit!

In the next update, we'll have a look over at Thistle Point.

'til next time............. $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%

Diggis

Ahh there is celebration in Watersford tonight.  Bitter sweet for the me, being mostly Dutch and all, but if they don't want me as manager they'll regret it.  :D  And Sebes, I changed into one of those pirate shirts with the big flowy sleeves so I could hide extra players up there.  :D