• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

LEX "Download Later" button missing

Started by MrWacko, September 10, 2014, 12:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrWacko

What the subject says. The "download list" page exists, but there is no way to add items to it via the described "Download Later" button.

Cache has been cleared, updates applied, and multiple browsers checked to confirm its absence. Tried using Chrome and Firefox. Is there some option to enable it in a setting for the LEX?

joshua43214

I'm having the same issue, did the same stuff, asked the same question, got no reply.

Hopefully you will get an answer.
Folks get awful busy around here, and stuff gets overlooked at times.

CasperVg

I use Chrome (mobile) and Firefox (desktop) for development and testing of the LEX, and everything seems to be just fine on my end. Keep in mind that the "Download Later" button only appears in search results (for lots that you have not downloaded before). Also make sure that you don't have any conflicting add-ons installed (things like NoScript, HTTPS Everywhere, etc. could mess up the functionality)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

MrWacko

Quote from: CasperVg on September 10, 2014, 07:50:39 AM
I use Chrome (mobile) and Firefox (desktop) for development and testing of the LEX, and everything seems to be just fine on my end. Keep in mind that the "Download Later" button only appears in search results (for lots that you have not downloaded before). Also make sure that you don't have any conflicting add-ons installed (things like NoScript, HTTPS Everywhere, etc. could mess up the functionality)

Could you give me a screenshot of the button and the search screen from your end? I'm using a clean install of chrome and don't see the download later option in the power search or google search results.

Screenshots from chrome v37.0.2062.120 m:
Power Search settings
Results
Google Search Results

Unrelated: pressing the enter key after typing something into the title power search field appears to toggle some scripts before doing nothing. Manually pressing the "Search" button still functions normally. Not really an issue, but its a sorta kinda glitch regardless so I figured I'd record it.

vester

Its called Download List:

Casper: So what happens to updated files ?
Does the Download List button came backs ?

MrWacko

Quote from: vester on September 10, 2014, 10:54:07 AM
Its called Download List:

Casper: So what happens to updated files ?
Does the Download List button came backs ?

Upon searching for that lot, the button appears but I get this error before the button disappears entirely. This is consistent regardless of which lot(s) or downloads i search for. When the screenshots in my prior post were taken, no such button existed.

Navigating to the download list later yields this warning/error.

Cache has been cleared and I've logged out then in. Firefox does not have the "Download List" button.

CasperVg

Are you on a fairly slow internet connection, perhaps? Does it take awhile fornthe Failure! to appear or is it instantaneously after pressing the button?

MrWacko

Quote from: CasperVg on September 10, 2014, 11:44:49 AM
Are you on a fairly slow internet connection, perhaps? Does it take awhile fornthe Failure! to appear or is it instantaneously after pressing the button?

The failure! button appears instantly. I'm currently on Comcast cable, with no issues relating to speeds or latency.

CasperVg

MrWacko, I have been looking into your problem some more and from the server logs it appears that adding a file to your download list is working fine. However, somehow your browser is classifying the returned response as incorrect and hence showing the "Failure!" button.

Is your "Show download list" page still displaying the error? It shouldn't be, because the requests for that are also classified as "correctly handled" by the server. Again, it seems your browser is somehow handling the responses as incorrect, even though they aren't.

MrWacko

Quote from: CasperVg on September 12, 2014, 03:42:08 AM
MrWacko, I have been looking into your problem some more and from the server logs it appears that adding a file to your download list is working fine. However, somehow your browser is classifying the returned response as incorrect and hence showing the "Failure!" button.

Is your "Show download list" page still displaying the error? It shouldn't be, because the requests for that are also classified as "correctly handled" by the server. Again, it seems your browser is somehow handling the responses as incorrect, even though they aren't.

Odd, the list does show basically what I clicked.

I'll reinstall Chrome and see if the problem disappears. Maybe some odd setting is messing things up.

MrWacko

OK I have no idea what's going on now.

http://gyazo.com/c318144aa477204df4fc6c7dcc872cd0 - most recent attempt to view my download list.

This is quite literally with a brand new chrome install on a hard drive that was just reformatted.

What script is running in the back? Just earlier I confirmed that the list existed and had something on it, and now its not working.

Since this was to reinstall a bunch of plugins anyways and the last time I played SC4 was in 2009, I suspect it won't matter much if I just dredge through without it, but its still a bit odd that the download list isn't working.

CasperVg

That's very weird. Could you perhaps try using the LEX Downloader X (requires Java 7). That's a tool that has the same functionality as the download list page. Let me know if it works

MrWacko

Quote from: CasperVg on September 13, 2014, 06:09:34 AM
That's very weird. Could you perhaps try using the LEX Downloader X (requires Java 7). That's a tool that has the same functionality as the download list page. Let me know if it works

My appologies about disappearing for a bit, RL happened.

The downloader has items on it, but it doesn't correspond to any of the failure attempts.

Luckily this hasn't been an issue for a bit, as the downloader started working for the past few weeks, after a hard drive reformat. But after a fresh login attempt on the LEX again, proceeding to the download page now gives me this: http://gyazo.com/86950c357ab12bbe1944950cbd664173

The prompt times out after about 3 seconds. Using copy and paste I got the info in, and chrome remembered the password. That said it doesn't make the prompt go away, nor does the download list work afterwards. This is a chrome specific error, no error appears in Firefox, it just doesn't work at all. Failure message pops up if I attempt to add items to the download list as well.

Just out of curiosity, does any of this require a super specific version of Java? As part of my reformat, I installed the x64 JDK over the JRE, and it began working when after the original reformat it wasn't.

Edit: Reinstalling the JDK allowed me to access the download later page again, with no loss of fuctionality. Relogging reproduces the errors above, so if you have questions I can quite easily reproduce the errors.

CasperVg

Nah, none of the web-based interactions require any Java (at all), only the LEX Downloader X tool does. For now, I've disabled the "Download later" buttons while I investigate

MrWacko

Quote from: CasperVg on October 23, 2014, 08:08:17 AM
Nah, none of the web-based interactions require any Java (at all), only the LEX Downloader X tool does. For now, I've disabled the "Download later" buttons while I investigate

Thanks for helping with fixing this, and I hope the ultimate bug can be resolved.