• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

romualdillo's little BATs & Problems

Started by romualdillo, May 21, 2014, 09:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vester

Wow this is beautiful work you are doing here. Got me thinking of the work of Mickebear.

Sim.Rico

WOw Romauldillo!  they look so real!  I love this project!  I'll scroll back to catch up on the specs, etc. but looks like my fav "wall to wall"!  whats the lot sizes?  Peyton is grooming land as we speak for these to grace our town's square, etc.

vortext

Looks like you nailed the red! I like it a lot! :thumbsup:

Speaking of lots. . . Are you familiar with the SC4PIM?

If yes, than making lots is really really easy since it's very similar to making props. If not, well, it's really really easy!  :D See here and here.

If you somehow run into serious troubles I could make them for you, though they'd be kept very simple, i.e. two buildings and base textures, no fancy lotting.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

romualdillo

vester: Thank you!!!

Sim.Rico: Thank you!!! The lots sizes are 1x2 and 2x2 for the corner lots, I hope they are useful for you!!!

vortext: Thank you!!! And thank you very much for your offer!! I work with SC4PIM and I make my lots with it, too. I told about not uploading the lots because they are very simple and I was a bit ashamed. I have to work a little more with the lot editor to build the gardens and the empty lots, but I'll need more time to do this.

As promised, the in-game shot:

Sorry for the interface, I didn't notice it  &ops

I installed Simfox's Day-n-Nite Modd. I wanted to test if the buildings worked well with dark night.

Answering noahclem's question: I think they work!!!  ()stsfd() And I think they look even better at night with this mod!!  ;D

noahclem

QuoteAnswering noahclem's question: I think they work!!!  ()stsfd() And I think they look even better at night with this mod!!  ;D

Agreed! Looks awesome man ;)  Hope you enjoy that mod as it's a good one.

deora

Woah,these houses are drop dead gorgeous.Love the darker red on the facade.Well,if i`m right,you had these houses already shown earlier,but with a much paler red,almost rose.
These look good ,too.Maybe we can pretend that the darker red ones were just freshly painted to cover the aged coat of paint.
Together with the arknite Mod they really look amazing,i actually never tried the Dark Nite Mod,mostly because i`m to lazy to sort out my plugins and replace Buildings with their Darknite Counterpart...

carlfatal

It´s funny in a way... Since a long time I am interested in Spanish influenced town planning in America, the special role of towns in the colonies, and the general way to develop them on base of a grid. This fact is very useful, if it comes to SC4 and if you are - like me - a fan of historical town planning.

One reason, why I never gave it a try, was the absence of matching BATs. I have a very few of them, I think, debussyman was the creator, but that´s it. Even if I looked to SCBrasil, I never found really good models of traditional buildings. And now you are doing a complete set - that is amazing, especially, if I look to the outstanding quality!  &apls

And now I am really eager to play with them...  $%Grinno$%

romualdillo

noahclem: Thank you!!! Yes it's a great mod!! It's really an improvement. ;D

deora: Thank you!!! Yes, it's the same model but with some little changes to be w2w in three sides. As I have no eye for the colours, I post the new colours before rendering the models to let you see them and advice me about them (I hope I'm not committing abuse).

carlfatal: Thank you!!! You're right. I never thought about the relation between the SC4 grid and the "Ley de Indias" grid, even when making these buildings, but they seem to match perfectly!!! It's said that the Spanish were so tired of our chaotic Arabic cities, that we only wanted to see straight streets in the new cities.  :D

Now another little update, the filler version of "Casa Luis XVI" with a brand new colour!!!

Yes, it's greeeeeeeeen... I hope you like it!!!!! (if not, please tell me which colour would you prefer or what changes should I do)

carlfatal

Nice pictures again!  :thumbsup:

I think, it was typical for the renaissance to remind the Roman empire. And indeed, as the catholic Spanish crown was "tired" of the Casbahs, in the colonies the style changed into something more "regular". So it was easier to control the indigenes. Everything, from the central place to the cathedral and the offices had a special meaning, was a symbol of the power of the crown and the catholic church.
And it works until today...  $%Grinno$%

romualdillo

Yes, of course you are right!!! The city-planning was used for different purposes as you say: As  symbol of power (like the Roman cities), as a Renaissance Ideal City and as a rational way to divide the space available. Perhaps the difference to other "Ideal" cities in Europe was that the cities in the "Old World" were designed as closed projects and in the "New World" were designed to grow.

deora

What a lovely new house.Love the fresh green on this one and also the patio grid above the inside yard.
Say,is that a skylight (those little "windows" in roofs to let in more light) in the rear corner of the roof?
About any changes:Well there is really nothing to moan,this house is gorgeous,neat,cute and well done.Maybe a variation without a covered inner yard might be suitable.
However,you did again some lovely work with this little family home. &apls

bap

Excellent work, romualdillo&apls
The green version of Casa Luis XVI is great. I believe you got the right hand on these BATs. Perhaps you could render an additional yellow and/or beige version of this same house for increased variety with minor effort?

Also, it would be great if you could show us all houses on a picture side by side so we can gauge how does the whole set presently stands in terms of options and variety?  ::)

Have you considered making some accompanying commercial BATs (p.ex., bakery shop, small markets, restaurant, bars, etc) using the same style to complement this nice set of residential BATs?  ;)

romualdillo

deora: Thank you!!! And yes, it's a small covered court.

bap: Thank you!!! Yes, I want to make some commercial buildings after finishing these. And about the picture... Your desires are orders!!!

These are all the R$ buildings and variations I want to do. All the buildings will be rendered in the three showed colours. They will all have a symmetrical version, too. The marked buildings are still not rendered so you can comment on them if there is something you don't like.

Sim.Rico

I cant get over the realistic look of these bldgs!  Do you have any of your prior work like this available for download? I'm gittn greeeedy! lol

Girafe

nice buildings and good modeling skills :)

but I am afraid about their integration in the game, in term of scale and colors. For sure the roofs are too contrasted.

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

vester

Quote from: Girafe on October 11, 2014, 01:09:27 PM
but I am afraid about their integration in the game, in term of scale and colors. For sure the roofs are too contrasted.

Some of them are a bit saturated.  One that really sticks out is the green one.
The roof on the other hand, I think is just perfect.
Maybe scale up the tile textures a bit, to something like 130-160 % of the current scale.

noahclem

Looking great  &apls The time and effort you're putting into these is definitely showing

romualdillo

Sim.Rico: Thank you!!! I'm sorry to say these are my first bats. I have some experience with 3d modelling, but I never BATed before!

Girafe: Thank you!! I think you're right. Perhaps they won't match other buildings because of their colour, size and shape, but I couldn't find any other way to reproduce them. I think colour taste depends on the culture and the region. You know that I've had serious difficulties to approach an "international" taste with colour because in my region houses are painted with bright saturated colours and I just can't recognize when a colour is too much saturated for a building.

vester: Thank you!!! About the roof textures, the tiles' size varies between 30 and 40 cm, which is their normal size. I made them bigger once, but they just looked too big for the size of the building (IMHO). About the green building, I hope you prefer this less saturated version.

noahclem: Thank you!!

I've been thinking about this little post of yours:  $%Grinno$%

Quote from: noahclem on August 28, 2014, 01:44:54 AM
Looks awesome  &apls  It's very nice to see these in game. I think they will fit absolutely perfect in my new region where I'm hoping to have areas of "colonial" architecture and the level of details these buildings have will make them much, much, much more useful too :)  If there's one suggestion I'd offer it would be to have a little more space between the street tile and the facade of the building--there's enough space when placed along a street but next to a 3-lane or 4-lane one tile network the area for pedestrians would look really narrow. If your space is limited by the size of the building I'd say not to worry about it though  :)

I think I found a solution. There's a neighbourhood in the city of Valencia called "El Cabanyal". It's a quaint old neighbourhood that is being dilapidated due urbanistical interests. It holds some intersting narrow buildings that I wanted to reproduce (or take them as an example). Perhaps they would look a bit strange to you, but I like them!!!

This is the first one I tried to make:

Original source:

http://bicitarianos.blogspot.com.es/2012_07_01_archive.html

This kind of building allows me to make wider sidewalks. I made new lots that grow in Houston tileset, the others grow in European tileset.

Wider sidewalks:

The new building and the transition corner (it's a ploppable landmark lot). Perhaps when I start doing commercial buildings I'll make some ploppables, too.

I hope you like it!!! The result is obviously different from the original, but I like to change them!!

This is a normal crossing in European tileset:

A general view, just for show!!

Please comment and let me know about your opinions!!  ;)

deora

Oh my godness,romualdillo,these houses are beautiful.
Just spended ten minutes on exploring that neighbourhod with Streetview,and these little gems are amazing.All that ornaments and decorative details. :o
Too bad that from time to time an ugly modern concrete 6 story building is disrupting the magical apperance.
I may be wrong,but because these houses are packed in tight rows "butt to butt",there don`t seem to be actual backyards or something like that,right?
Now i know why they often have those little inner courts.
Keep on the good work with all those little pieces of art (btw,love that shown house with it`s green and white tiles mosaic)

vortext

That's a rather clever way to transition to and from different sidewalk widths!  :thumbsup:

The building itself looks good too, though the black-and-white checkerboard pattern has too much contrast imho, especially compared to the other facades. The general view is great however, really shows the outstanding variety! 

Keep at it!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana