• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

romualdillo's little BATs & Problems

Started by romualdillo, May 21, 2014, 09:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

The latest addition is nice, though the roof texture is a bit repetitive. The subdued colors on the other hand are great! As bap said, I too still think the other houses would benefit from similar desaturated colors as well, in that regard the school actually is pretty decent. Maybe you could post some color examples before re-rendering them all at once. Keep at it!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

romualdillo

Thank you vortext!!! That's what I'm going to do.

This is the first house, I call it "Casa Arcos". The saturation was almost halved, I hope you like it!!!  ;)

I will post only the south view, unless you ask for the other views if you want to see other details.

eugenelavery

Are the fronts of the buildings (windows, door, etc) all modeled, or are they textured?

vortext

Since I'm a perfectionist as well I hope you don't mind the nitpicking but it seems to me saturation is only half of the equation as the colors are still too bright imho, the whites especially. Try adding a bit of saturation back in again while simultaneously dialing back the brightness a tad.
time flies like a bird

romualdillo

eugenelavery: They're all modelled. Only some little details are textures.

vortext: Definitely I have no eye for colours. I hope training it with time...  :P

Casa Arcos second attempt (Spanish inspiration):

Casa Luis XVI first attempt (Argentinian inspiration):

I don't know if it must be darkened too.

I hope you like them!!!  ;)

EDIT:

Casa Marchiaro first attempt (Argentinian inspiration, too)

Casa Quaroni first attempt (Italian inspiration)

Casa Ecléctica 01 first attempt (Spanish inspiration)

Casa Ecléctica 02 first attempt (Spanish inspiration)

Casa Ecléctica 03 first attempt (Spanish inspiration)

Escuela Unitaria 01 first attempt (Spanish inspiration)

Well, this is the last building I've completed for the moment. I hope you like it!! Please help  :-[

Casa Neorrománica 01 (Neo Romanesque House) first attempt (Spanish inspiration)

I hope you like it!!!

Casa Luis XVI corner version first attempt (Argentinian inspiration):

seraf

I must say your BATs are something fresh :) There are not many buildings of this character in SC4 and I'm sure each of them will be a welcomed addition. The only thing I would advise is a little more depth to the facades. But they look good nonetheless :)

cmdp123789

OMG! I'm Argentinian, and I'm telling you, those look almost as if they were actually modeled after real buildings. See there are still some buildings, specially in buenos aires that kept the colonial, and are considered part of the European heritage. As you go in deeper into the interior as we call it, those are more common.

But having those would be awesome, specially for creating a colonial era journal...

I tried that at simtropolis, but the lack of buildings made it really hard so I had to abandon it.. But seeing your buildings really inspires me!

Great job!

Swordmaster

romualdillo

seraf thank you!! I've tried to add more depth to the buildings by modelling and using contrast, but it is hard to do without using bump or displacement maps. I started to use them, but without any good result, so this is what I can do for the moment!! Consider that I work with gmax and renderings are not so good as 3ds Max ones. My computer is a bit old, and 3ds Max runs veeeeeeeeryyyy slowly. That's why I still use gmax.
I can try to model everything deeper, but I don't know if it will look unrealistic... I'll give it a try and post the result so all can see it.

cmdp123789 Thank you!! Well, the buildings are modelled after real buildings, but I change them a bit so they match different styles from Spain and South America. So they're not copies but a personal version of the  existing buildings. I love Buenos Aires' architecture and I know that the European heritage is very strong. I like the different facades with Italian and French influence you can see on the spanish structure of the "casas chorizo" in Argentina. That's what I try to reproduce here and mix it with other styles.

Swordmaster Thank you!!!

Casa Marchiaro corner version first attempt (Argentinian inspiration):

I hope you like it!!

Simcoug

Like it?  I love it! Keep up the great work.... This is going to be a great set  &apls

romualdillo

Simcoug Thank you!!!

I've tried to give more depth to the facade, what do you think?

Casa Luis XVI second attempt (Argentinian inspiration):

previous version

Does it look better? I think windows and ornaments look better now...

EDIT:

I darkened the textures a bit...

What do you think?

vortext

He, I completely missed the previous edit. Lovely new additions!   &apls

The facade could still use some more depth imho, the masonry above the windows in particular. The colors seem okay but the only way to really tell is with an ingame pic.  ;)

Keep at it!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

cmdp123789

It looks really good, yet I agree with the comment above.. A little bit more of depth would nice...

I'm sure this is going to be a great set, and I will definitely be playing a lot with it! Keep it up! And thank you for the comments about buenos aires.. It is indeed a great city!

romualdillo

vortext Thank you!!! I'm sorry to say that there is no masonry there. Most of the old buildings in Buenos Aires (and Argentina) are not built in stone but with bricks and a special type of stucco called "Paris Stone". The arches over the windows are single stucco pieces, that's why you can't see the limits between the dowels. (In case you're referring to that)

cmdp123789 Thank you!! I speak about Buenos Aires because it's the city I know best in Argentina. I know that Argentina and its architecture do not end in Capital Federal.

EDIT:

Casa Luis XVI corner version second attempt (Argentinian inspiration):

previous version:

I was afraid of giving more depth to the facades before rendering a lateral view of them, because I thought they could look strange if they were too deep. Now I think perhaps it won't look bad. I'll make a proof and post it to share the result.

EDIT2:

Casa Luis XVI third attempt (Argentinian inspiration): 20% deeper

previous version

Do you think it is deep enough or should it be deeper? Thank you all for your advices, they help me a lot!!

Simcoug

as far as depth, I think you nailed it with that last version  :thumbsup:

You have quite a collection of models now - I was curious if you were thinking of making a few different color texture variations of each model (a la Aaron Graham) - I think that would really ramp up the variety  :)

romualdillo

Thank you Simcoug!!! Yes, my intention is making different versions of each building with different colours. I hope you like them all...

Casa Luis XVI corner version third attempt (Argentinian inspiration):

previous version:

It's 20% deeper too. I'll render both versions of the house and post the game shots... Let's see what happens...  :-[

noahclem

Great work once again on these lovely buildings of yours  &apls  It seems like you're really figuring out all the details.

Simcoug

That's great news regarding the color variations.  The latest renders look great - corner buildings are always hard to come by, so these will be a very welcome addition.

Bipin

Lovely work. I like where you're taking this. All your BATs are unique and certainly set apart from the often overdone skyscrapers out there. It's good to see some diversity!  &apls

romualdillo

noahclem Thank you!! I'm glad you like them!!

Simcoug Thank you!! Let's see how they look in-game.

Bipin Thank you!! I don't like skyscrapers very much. I prefer old buildings and there were not so many low density residential buildings to download, that's why I started batting.

And now the in-game shots:

What do you think??