• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Circular cities in Simcity 4

Started by Terring7, March 08, 2013, 03:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terring7

The new Simcity gives you the ability to build truly circular cities, something "impossible" in the grid-based Simcity 4. Too bad that the new buildings are not designed for those kind of constructions.

So let's have a look at Simcity 4. In original version, the closest shape to circle was an octagon.

Thanks to N.A.M. team and the F.A.R.-3 technology however, it's now possible to build 16gon cities!

But N.A.M. team didn't stop there. Not only the original F.A.R.-3 is now dragable, but F.A.R.-2 is now possible. Check the video to have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJIhHF7mwoc

With F.A.R.-3 and the new F.A.R.-2, grid will be a thing of the past. Thanks to N.A.M., it's possible to build gridless cities without having ugly empty spaces between the buildings.

But this is not enough. With the new F.A.R.-2, it's possible to build 24gon cities. Even closer to an almost circular city!

Thanks to N.A.M. team, I can now build this!

Now I need to find a... formula? blue print? basic design? You name it. Anyway, a way to make always perfect 24gon in any shape. Because however I'm not mathematician, any help will be more than welcomed :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Terring7

I played a bit with the circular plan that I made and build a small town.  I used only N.A.M. and SimMars stuff because I was too lazy for something more fancy and cool, so don't make complains like "the circular city is a bad idea because your city is ugly". The city works perfect and everything is smooth, just make sure that you have enough mass transit systems. We need more fillers however. There are already fillers for the diagonal roads and for the smooth turns, but we need fillers for the F.A.R. roads and the new turns.

The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

KingM

Hi I was searching circle cities on google and saw your post. your post really made me want to make this kind of city. I just needed some help....I tried lots of way to make it but it never works out. I was just thinking can you do like a tutorial so we can learn from your master piece.

Thank you

Quote from: Terring7 on March 08, 2013, 03:00:43 AM
The new Simcity gives you the ability to build truly circular cities, something "impossible" in the grid-based Simcity 4. Too bad that the new buildings are not designed for those kind of constructions.

So let's have a look at Simcity 4. In original version, the closest shape to circle was an octagon.

Thanks to N.A.M. team and the F.A.R.-3 technology however, it's now possible to build 16gon cities!

But N.A.M. team didn't stop there. Not only the original F.A.R.-3 is now dragable, but F.A.R.-2 is now possible. Check the video to have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJIhHF7mwoc

With F.A.R.-3 and the new F.A.R.-2, grid will be a thing of the past. Thanks to N.A.M., it's possible to build gridless cities without having ugly empty spaces between the buildings.

But this is not enough. With the new F.A.R.-2, it's possible to build 24gon cities. Even closer to an almost circular city!

Thanks to N.A.M. team, I can now build this!

Now I need to find a... formula? blue print? basic design? You name it. Anyway, a way to make always perfect 24gon in any shape. Because however I'm not mathematician, any help will be more than welcomed :)

Pioneer

Won't circular cities be much easier to target with a nuclear missle?  &Thk/(

cmdp123789

Well, to be honest, I dont like thi model at all. Ive read that actually the most "economic and optimal" is the grid. It makes sense... And I know what people say about circular cities, no sharp corners, no blocks, but try to think of it as a real city, think of it as if you were to lieve in it... it would be crazy, especially if you want to get addresses right &idea

Indiana Joe

Quote from: cmdp123789 on March 12, 2014, 02:51:35 PM
Well, to be honest, I dont like thi model at all. Ive read that actually the most "economic and optimal" is the grid. It makes sense... And I know what people say about circular cities, no sharp corners, no blocks, but try to think of it as a real city, think of it as if you were to lieve in it... it would be crazy, especially if you want to get addresses right &idea

Nah, people around the world do just fine with circular cities.  Put a roundabout in the United States and you're going to get a lot of accidents until people grow accustomed to it.  Same if you put an 8-lane intersection with lights in the European countryside.  Cultures are different.

Of course the grid is the most economic.  It's also economic to not provide any services to your citizens.  But that's not very fun or nice.

Lach77

Too much grid does make a city look artificial and too fabricated. The whole 'no straight lines in nature' concept should be applied to cities a bit.
Generally I found it too hard to make an entire city circular or diagonal but some of the mod-packs that work with parks or certain industrial packs like 'Industrial Gridbusters' allow you to bend the rules a bit.
If you have large greenspace areas in your cities this is another good opportunity to do this.

Terring7

More than one and a half year has been passed since the last post of this topic and now I have some free time to return to this project, even though I can't play Simcity yet. I remember I was searching a formula that would allowed me to create perfect 24gons, the closest to the circle shape, regardless of their size. I haven't find it yet, but I think I'm one step closer to it.

As everybody knows, Simcity 4 is a game based on grid made by squares. Each square is 1x1 tiles big and has two diagonals, which are line segments linking opposite corners of the square. Without NAM, the closest to the circle shape we can build is the octagon. But to make an octagon, you should keep in mind the square diagonals as well. The formula to calculate the diagonals is , where s is the length of any side. The sides length of Simcity 4 tiles is 1, so the length of their diagonals will be 1.4. I discovered that the best formula that will help you to make almost perfect octagons is s/1.4, where s is the length of the octagon you want to build. Use this formula to calculate the diagonals, and don't forget to make the rounding!

Here is an example.

Please test my theory and post your findings here. Remember, you can't make perfect octagons in Simcity 4, but you can make them as close to perfection as possible. We're far from creating circular cities, but I hope we're getting closer.
The Choice is Ours
---

pbhal2012

I have always wanted to make something like this ...

packersfan

Love that circular city.  Of course, if you put a little more time into it and fillers, etc., it would look super unique and cool.  It already looks cool even though much of it is vanilla or SimMars.  Great idea!