• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Port St Claire (#36)

Started by Swordmaster, October 07, 2012, 05:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortext

Just once picture but what a great one it is!  &apls

The water especially, is that one of Drunk's watermods?
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Gugu3

Amazing to see you back Willy!
That RRW bridge looks simply amazing &apls

Swordmaster

Some explaining. . .

Let's talk about what I'm up to. Folks who've been following this for a while will have classified PSC as a rural, historic MD. Right, that was fun. However, looking back through the years this was only an experiment. I've started multiple PSC regions since purchasing SC4, the last one being only the first where I tried a historical approach (something I had wanted to do ever since SC3000). The Jury is still out on whether it was successful (it certainly was from an MDing perspective) and whether it can continue under current circumstances. Regardless of the answer to that, this MD cannot follow that experiment exclusively. Otherwise, I would not update this until maybe 2041 (rough estimate). Therefore, there's a new PSC region and a new paradigm, which we will follow from now on.

Picking this model was non-trivial. There were, broadly speaking, three options:
- Option A: Continue the purely historic approach.
- Option B: Have historical development and expansion, but without historical settings (modern buildings, props. . .).
- Option C: Build up the city roughly to a current day situation.

Option A was what it had turned into over the past year. Option C is what I've always done before that, with varying degrees of pre-planned design. Option B has an air of goofiness around it, I'm gonna steer clear of that. So it must be C. There are a lot of people doing that already, so I'll bring on a couple things that should hopefully make this effort stand out.

More text later, some pictures first.

Replies

Quote from: art128Stop teasing!
No!

Quote from: sunv123We're going to the future, aren't we? :D

Coffee and whiskey isn't enough... I need champagne!
Well, the future of the past is the present, I suppose. Unless it's still the past of the present, or maybe the future of the present. In any case, we're not where we used to be :D  As for champagne, I think there's a few bottles left from our Best Seller celebrations ;D  Thanks Victor!

Quote from: JmouseOne photo. So simple, yet so engaging. And don't worry, I'll always be aboard this train. ;)

Welcome back PSC, I've missed you.
I've missed it too! Thanks Joan.

Quote from: MTT9That's great news!!! I was hoping to see some trains here soon :)
By the way... you missed PSC's first birthday so... congratulations on that ;)
Thanks Matt, good to see you! Trains galore from now on! As for the birthday, thanks! Technically you're correct as far as the MD goes. However, PSC itself is quite a bit older than one year. I can trace its main concept back to somewhere around 2000/2001 in SC3000. I still have some .sc3 files laying about but I would need to reinstall that game :D

Quote from: SchulmanatorI'm ready... bring on the new stuff! :D
I'm ready too ;D  Thanks Bruce.

Quote from: vester
Quote from: Jmouse
I'll always be aboard this train. ;)
Thought you never had been on a train ?

Willy: Good to see you back in Port St. Claire and with some great pictures.
Thanks Arne! As per your request we'll see some denser development soon enough I hope ;)

Quote from: GirafeSuperb pic  &apls &apls
Thanks Antoine! First time using the newest flora, which you've managed to make even better than the previous stuff. Chestnuts are my new favorites.

Quote from: noahclemWelcome back PSC  &dance &dance &dance

Beautiful picture Willy. Perfect details of flora and terrain and the diagonal bridge with RRW textures looks like a whole new bridge  &apls

Can't wait to see what's next!
Thanks Noah! Apart from changing the rail overlays I edited the S3Ds a bit, but that shouldn't be noticeable; so largely the same bridge.

Quote from: BipinLovely work. That bridge really comes to life with those wonderful rail textures!
Thanks Bipin, and welcome here!

Quote from: rambuckelI'm so glad to see this treasure back!
Thanks Theresa. Keep warm!

Quote from: rooker1This MD has been greatly missed, it's great to see it back up and going.
Amazing pic, but that's no surprise...it comes from you.

Robin
Thanks Robin! Too much praise there :D

Quote from: vortextJust once picture but what a great one it is!  &apls

The water especially, is that one of Drunk's watermods?
Thanks Erik! I'll do some of our familiar terrain talk soon. You know I never use things out of the box ;D

Quote from: Gugu3Amazing to see you back Willy!
That RRW bridge looks simply amazing &apls
Thanks Guglielmo!

I'll be back with stuff that's more interesting soon.

Cheers
Willy

MTT9

Mmm... a sudden change in air! The surprises never stop ;)
You can call me Matt

Schulmanator

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Gugu3

I'm excited about this new project Willy! :thumbsup:

art128

Looking forward for (some more teasing) new developments in PSC!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

sunv123

Although it's great to see new progress, I was kind of hoping that PSC would stay like it was before. You had a very unique style when building those old cities and I bet we can all agree that we loved it. And it's quite sad to see you leaving right in the middle of the industrial revolution... :angrymore: ;D But like life, things come and go, and I hope for the best of this new project. :thumbsup:

Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

Simcoug

I'll be honest, I'd be happy with whatever option you had chosen because you have a unique style that will come through no matter what you end up building.  I'm looking forward to how the RHW will influence PSC... mostly because I will probably end up stealing the ideas down the road.  Oh... and how about some rail teasers    :thumbsup: :D

noahclem

That detailing around the bridges is just perfect  &apls  It perfectly brings together all the terrain mod and flora work with excellent highway and transit building and planning. My favorite things in SC4 usually can't be categorized as rural or urban but a fusion of the two and these make that combination seamless. Outstanding  :thumbsup:

Vlasky

Amazing detailed work! I really like it :)

EDIT: Actually I have just discovered this MD. I went trough it and I must say that is is by far one of the best city journals I've ever seen. I love it! Every part of it is so perfectly done that I am speechless. It makes sense, since you're the engineer :O Amazing! Now I like you even more Willy :O
My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

Jmouse

Your shoreline decorations are legendary, and oh so enviable. I've tried re-creating them and never even came close to being successful. I'm looking forward to seeing which path PSC takes this time. You must have heard the old expression, "If you come to a fork in the road, take it." It makes perfect sense if you don't think about it.

rambuckel

Enviable ... yes, that's it! It looks just perfect.
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

vinlabsc3k

Glad to read that you are back in action Willy!! :thumbsup:

Amazing teasers and I can't wait for the new Port St. Claire!! &apls
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

benedict

Great to see you back.

And congratulations, you're back at number one on Ben's Top Ten this week.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

kelis

Amazing !! I like so much those pictures my friend, everything is perfect and fits with the reality, congratulations for the number one on Ben`s list, you really deserve it  :)
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Swordmaster

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 760 days.

So what?

>> click <<

Cheers
Willy

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

kbieniu7

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

compdude787

Nice, welcome back! For me, this MD is so old, it's new! (just like some of the hymns in church)
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel