• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Shaping Invermere Valley - Update 42 1/11/08

Started by jimmymac, June 11, 2007, 08:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Welcome to page 5!

Great update! Also wonderful areas! Fantastic work! :thumbsup:

tooheys

Looking good Stu  :thumbsup: Always intrigued to watch a work in progress.

The uni is nicely laid out and can't wait to see a bit more of Stark. Although I must say, Stark looks anything but.

Well done

Cheers

Dave

Pat

Stu, WoW really great updates and i dont know if i said this allready but thank you very much for
both of the buildings. I cant wait to see what you have next time for us - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

jimmymac

rooker1 (Robin): Welcome to Invermere Valley firstly, glad you like the city. The stadium is by teemu_om and is available via a link on the simtropolis forums. He's just relased a beta of minute maid park too, which looks awesome, aside from a couple of little glitches. You can reach the thread here

bat: Thanks, as always, I'm glad you liked it, we've seen the last of Bedford for the moment, but we will return.

tooheys (Dave): I agree with you, the Uni looks quite nice, it's a redone lot that I downloaded off of the STEX a long time ago, I also got a newly designed prison and a few other too. I will look up the links if you want them.

patfirefghtr (Pat): You did say thanks before, but I don't mind, you're more than welcome. Today we're going to move away from Bedford for a couple of updates and see a different part of the area.

---------------------------------------------

Update 18 - Back In My Day All This Was Fields

Firstly we see the land as it origionally was...

Next we zone in the fields and drop the street in.

Some hedges and a bit of building later and we have our farm.

A few more farms in the area.

And a few more.....

All those farms need somewhere to deliver the goods to, so a rural rail station was the order of the day. Also a nice big watch tower to keep an eye over things.

A christmas tree farm and another watch tower, but what are they watching over?

Wolf river state penitentary. Home to some of the areas more dangerous criminals

Overall of the top half of the area from today's update.

Overall of the entire area of today's update, including wolf river pen.

Finally, a region update as of the end of today's update.

Apologies for the lack of Wedneday update this week, I was out all day with my Fiancee and didn't get home until midnight and I didn't really feel up to doing an update then. I will return monday with another update. Until then have a good weekend and take care.

Snaper

Beautiful countryside, very wooded  :thumbsup:

I love, bravo  &apls

jplumbley

Very cool!!  I have never thought about connecting farms in that fashion.  I think I will use that when I get to play next time :P  I really like the way you designed those farms aswell, with the path and tree piece around the edge.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

bwatterud

Nice MD, and a great update.  Nice work on the farms, and great attention to detail (where did you get those hedges?). 

Quote from: jimmymac on July 13, 2007, 11:20:08 AM
Well it seems people like the GLR, it is longer than most of the trains I get going past the city. I kinda wish it was only single cars, but I guess thats just not possible.

In fact, it is possible, and has been done.  Linky

bat

tooheys

You know I like rural areas and this one is beautifully done. Nice use of the seasonal trees and the hedges look superb. :thumbsup:

If the hedges are available on an exchange somewhere, I wouldn't mind the link (pleeease).

Looking at your regional view, the area is immense, you'll be working on this 'til you're 90 ;)

Cheers

Dave

Pat

Jimmy that was a wonderful update of the countryside... that prision is very impressive...
Where did you get the one building to the left by the entrance... its giving me an idea for a
supermax style prision... - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

jimmymac

I come to you today with update 19, the update that should be posted tomorrow. I am going away for a couple of days with my Fiancee and I didn't want to miss the update, so I bring it to you early. I hope you all enjoy it.

Snaper: I'm glad you like it, we will revisit the farms again in a later update.

jplumbley: Thanks, as always, I'm glad you liked it. I've had those hedges for ages and never found a purpose for them until now.

bwatterud: Firstly welcome to Invermere Valley. I will have to look at the hedges in game, as I cannot seem to find them on the exchanges at all. I believe they are the BSC hedges. Thank you for the link. I had already installed something like that, but didn't know they had a 1 unit tram series.

bat: I'm glad you liked it.

tooheys (Dave): Lol, I know what you mean about the region, it's not until I look at the region that I realise i've only done a small part of a very large puzzle. As for the hedges, I believe they are the BSC Hedges, I can't seem to find them on any of the exchanges anymore, but I will query them in game and just make sure then I will drop the link in the next update.

patfirefghtr (Pat): Glad you like the area, as I said above we will come back to it in a later update. As for the prison, it is the City Security Complex by baco and is available here. I don't know what individual props it has in it, if there is any other info you need just ask again and I will try and query the individual parts in game and see if I can get anything from it.

Update 19 - Housing For Everybody Part 1

Today we return to the great city of Bedford as we begin the "Housing for everybody" project at the bottom of the hill in Bedford.

Streets and roads are the first order of business to build up the zones.

Multiple 4x4 zones, i'm after something specific here folks so bare with me........

Sidewalks next to the avenue and paths through the zones...

Off goes the pause button and straight away we get what I wanted.... no complaints from me...yet.

People demand a church, so they get a very nice looking one.

Every church needs a graveyard and now I present you the dead centre of Bedford.

Now we jump to the main part of the city to give all these new residents jobs, In goes a few more offices, with somewhere nice for them to go for lunch.

A close up of the park around those buildings.

The top side of Bedford at night.

The bottom side of Bedford at night.

And finally, as a special thank you for everyone who has commented thusfar and stuck with me, I bring you my first ever mosaic.

Pat

Jimmy thank you and that update was wonderfull... see you next time - pat

dedgren

Quote...the dead centre of Bedford.

I am pretty sure that I just snorted a whole green olive off my slice of pizza when I read that.

I'm going to enjoy the rest of the update so long as it doesn't kill me first.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

tooheys

Stu, if they all go there for lunch, they'll still be lining up at knock off time  :P

Bedford is looking great, with the commercial area continuing to expand nicely.

The modern church looks good and and I will be interested to see how the new area around it all comes together.

Another fine update  :thumbsup:

Cheers

Dave

Nardo69

Hello Jimmy!

Sorry for not answering before ... well you know, RLS ...  :-[

so let's begin - there are some updates to comment ...!

Page 3

Boy, now you go up after the rather rural start ...
Good work with the GLR and nothing to nag on update 13!  ;)

Update 14:
a park parallel to the RR? Why not - the old park of the barocque palace of Bruchsal had been cut through by the railway line, too. But I must say, all these highrises "alone in the middle" look a bit strange to me - if I want to go up I usually build my cities from low (suburb / farms) over medium (industrial belt + med.density worker quarters) to high (CBD) in that chronological order ... you did it different - why not.

Page 4

Update 15

Well, there had been tramway and railway crossings in the last century in Germany but AFAIK they have all gone. In addition to this the tramways mostly crossed secondary tracks that served local industrials so I am glad that this GLR - RR crossing doesn't exist any longer!  &apls
Nice Touch with the eye-candy - pedestrian underpasses next to the bridge!  :thumbsup:
The last pic is nice but as I commented for update 14 ...

Update 16

I wouldn't have used the small GLR cross in the second pic! There is more than enough space for a bigger cross ...  &mmm

Update 17
I really do like the GLR station with the big car park!
Nice LE work on the university!
The teaser looks good! you do have a hand for spacious park areas around highrises!

Page 5

Update 18
Aaaaaah - the countryside again!
Nice work on the farms with the hedge lots, these farms are hard to fence with the "standard farm fences" ...!
You put the freight station on a siding - marvelous!
That penetary is impressive ...
That region map is gorgeous! Do we see by any chance a pass route (road or railway) over these mountains?

Update 19
So you go for asian housing there - interesting ...
Good work on the graveyard - even though I don't like the church too much.

That's it for today.

Take care and don't forget to make backups!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

bat

A great new area, jimmymac!
Looking forward to more...

rooker1

The last update was very good, although I don't really like the asain housing, it seems out of place in this particuliar instance.  Other than that, great work!  I really like the close up shots.

Robin   :thumbsup:

Call me Robin, please.

jimmymac

Again due to going away for an extended period with my Fiancee for a second time in a week, I will be bring you the update early. Today I will bring you an update on the forest fires an also update 20 to go along with it, so without further ado, lets get to it...

patfirefghtr (Pat): Glad you liked it

dedgren (David) My father always refers to a big cemetary as the dead center of xxxx (xxxx being whereever we were at that moment, so I guess I got that from him). Glad you enjoyed the update.

tooheys (Dave): Lol, I didn't think about the ratio of people in the offices to the single cafe, I might have to go do something about that. As for the church and the new area, things will change, but for the better IMHO. As I said before, I always take advice to heart and make changes if I find myself agreeing.

Nardo69 (Bernhard): Thank you for the reviews and advice, it is truely appriciated. I have already gone back to the game and made some alterations today based upon advice recieved from everyone, and I must say I agree with everyone about the asian buildings, looking back they didn't look right, so hopefully the new ones will (I will have an update about all the changes in the future).

The residential towers have also undergone a major overhaul in prep for the CAM, and the entire area looks much better. As for the GLR and RR crossing, I had to go with that as there are no real GLR/RR underpasses or overpasses currently available, when one comes along I will change it, but for now it has to be that way unfortunately.Looking back now I would have used a larger GLR crossing in the middle, but I can't really go back and edit it now due to the development around it.

As for the university, I cannot take credit for it, it is a university replacement lot by baco available here for anyone who might want it. I knew that the freight station should go on a siding, I have learnt a lot from your guide that you produced a while back  :thumbsup:

As I said, the asian housing is now gone and has been replaced, and looks much better IMO, we will see everything I changed in update 24 or 25. And finally, as for the mountains, I chose this region for that specific reason, we're not only going to see rail through the hills, but roads and also a few towns, as I have some very specific plans for that area.

bat: As always, glad you liked the update, I've got plenty more in the background waiting to be published, so don't worry.

rooker1 (Robin): I'm glad you liked the update, as for the housing, I found myself agreeing with both yourself and Bernhard, and it is now a goner.

Now, on a small item of bad news, after some research I have found that the hedges used in a previous update are indeed the BSC hedges system created by Callagrafx. It no longer seems to be available, he might release it on the LEX in time, but for now it doesn't seem to be around.

Update 20 - Housing For Everybody Part 2

All that new housing need some parks, and they will have them, tennis courts first...

Followed by a baseball diamond and a skate park, everyone is happy.

A close up shot of the now doomed asian buildings.... it seems that the planner was a little too "way out there" and the residents didn't like the design.   :D

Now as we start to the cross the tracks and get away from Bedford, the density of the housing starts to drop.

An overall shot of the area with complete with the ruins of Bedford abbey.

Night time in the suburbs.

And now finally I bring you breaking news from Bedford 7 News...

We bring you this news report directly from the mayors office; The Mayor of Bedford has just announced that the replanting project in Bedford County is officially underway, the source of the fire was tracked down to a cigarette that had been disposed of in the undergrowth around the rest stop in Bedford County. The official loss toll for the fire was found to be much higher than origionally estimated, as 95% of the forest was destroyed by the fire, some houses in Old Port Talbot and Bayside were also destroyed, but fortunately there were no fatalities. We will bring you further updates as they develop...

I hope you all enjoyed todays update, I will return on Monday with update 21, the final update of the special interest period and some more news on the state of Bedford County, until then thanks for reading and have a good weekend.

Stu

Pat

Stu you have yourself a great time away and remeber take alot of pics... The update was reallly good and im glad to see the mayor not dinking around in replanting the area... see you next update - pat

btw i loved the diamond and skate park talk about realizm...

beskhu3epnm

Stu you are doing a great job here. I like how you have sculpted the tricky terrain into something perfect for Bedford. You should include a financial report outlining all terraforming (landscaping) costs. I'm sure Bedford would almost be bankrupt...!!

See you next update!

Sincerely,

Faithful Fan

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine