• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Shaping Invermere Valley - Update 42 1/11/08

Started by jimmymac, June 11, 2007, 08:21:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

Jimmy that is looking fab omg wow.... The night shots are just stunning and its ok
about bringing back the memories its all good... The arses was caught in the first
week of may shortly after the little burning spree the 2 guys went on... I will be
back again soon - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

serenity086

Those trees around your railroad tracks are so pretty. Seeing the fences and pedestrian bridges make me realise just how dangerous my cities are lol. *note to self: download bridges and fences*

Come Visit Murdock Valley

tooheys

Nice work Stu. The skyline looks great and you've done a good job beautifying the area along the RR :thumbsup:

Cheers

Dave

bat

Beautiful pictures and wonderful updates, jimmymac!
:thumbsup:
Also congrats on your award! &apls

jimmymac

patfirefghtr (Pat): I'm glad you liked the update, I do like playing the Bedford square at night, because it looks so pretty IMO.

serenity086 (Amanda): The fences and walls do indeed play a key part, wouldn't want any children getting hit by a train whilst going to the park now would we.  ;)

tooheys (Dave): Glad you like the parks, I keep dropping by your MD even though I don't get much of a chance to say soin there, I must say you are doing a great job.  :thumbsup:

bat: Thanks for the congrats, glad you liked the update.

---------------------------------------------

Update 15 - A Place For My Head (or somewhere for the normal people to live)

Firstly we start with the addition of a new convention and conference centre to the business district, backing up alongside the new police precienct it's bound to be secure.

A bit of beautification, and a couple of commercial offices later the area is done.

Back in my day all this used to be fields....... Or rather a before image of the proposed GLR crossing.

And after..... now everyone can be safe.

The origional underpass is gone and has been replaced by an overpass of the railway line. The parks run alongside to keep everyone safe, and another closer shot of the greystone church from a previous update.

"The other side of the tracks" where the normal people can live. I just love this picture, the nightlights in those trees look so pretty.

That looks like a steep drop, best put in some walls to keep the children safe. To the bottom left you see the beginning of Cross St GLR station.

Finally, somewhere I can afford to live. I just want to thank MAS71 for his awesome sunken parks, they make this area look infinately better by just being there. To the top right you will see the completed Cross St station. Now, I think those two buildings at the bottom look out of place, I doubt they will survive....

Finally, Bedford as a whole as it currently stands at the end of this update, another gratuitous night shot I know.

I hope you all enjoyed the update; comments, tips and advice are all greatly appriciated as thanks to suggestions made thusfar the region is changing all the time. So until Wednesday when I see you again for a news update about the fires, have a good week.

Pat

Jimmy anther breath taking and stunning update i love the nightshots as well with the lites
in the trees... gives it a Nashville Tenn look...  BTW where did you get the building that was
growing in the last pics???

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

jplumbley

Dude....  &apls

What can I say?.... I just love the way you've designed those GLR corridors.  Its just simply.... There is no word for it, because there are no words to describe how awesome it is.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

tooheys

I like what you have done with the overpass of the RR. Combined with the walkways, parks and trees
you've created a great looking area  :thumbsup:

The GLR crossings are nicely done, but who gets right of way, the train or the GLR. Could get nasty.  /wrrd%&

The city is looking fine and I like those night time pic's. Don't you just love those randomly growing lots. Sometimes you love them, but other times.. :bomb:

Well done Stu. Keep it up.

Cheers

Dave

serenity086

:thumbsup: Another great set of pictures. I love the park trails and the trees. Your cities are so beautiful that i wish i could live in them  ;D

HabLeUrG

I really like your PEG trees uses, i mean you use it in almost every picture, excellent work  &apls your md is unique

jimmymac

We bring you this news update as the fire services have finally been able to extingush the remaining forest fires burning throughout Bedford County. The fires raged for close to a week before finally burning out, the damage estimates are servere; Parts of Old Port Talbot have been destroyed by the firestorms, several Bayside residents have been left homeless as their houses burnt to the ground during the fire. The old friary in Bayridge has suffered servere smoke and flame damage and is currently being assesed as to it's final outcome.

A press release by the Bedford County fire service lists around 80-90% of the forest has been destroyed by these fires. At this stage it is unknown how the fire started, but it is being treated as suspicious.

--------------------------------------------------

patfirefghtr (Pat): Im not sure which one of the two buildings you meant, so I tracked both of them down (I'd already deleted them from the city, so it was a little harder to get, but i got them for you and i've done another picture to help.

The red arrow points to The Cobb Royal by Cobb32118 and is available here.
The blue arrow points to Coral Condos by JtPortland and is available here.

jplumbley: The GLR corridors just kind of came about by accident. I was designing the first set of condos and the area in between ended up 2  tiles too wide, 1 each side, so I just placed the fences in and it just stuck from that point on. Looking back it was the best mistake that I could have made.

tooheys (Dave): I think it's more a case of whichever is moving faster at the time, lol. In all honesty I just had to place it like that, because the only other way I could see was an underpass or overpass and neither of them looked very good. As it is the GLR seems to stop for the Train everytime I see it. However the first time I saw it the GLR just passed right through the train and I was waiting for the bang. lol

Serenity086 (Amanda): I think it would be a bit of a tight fit, getting us both in there, and in all honesty given the land values in the areas we've seen, if we could live there I think it would probably be in the slums  &mmm

HabLeUrG: Those aren't actually PEG's trees that I use in Bedford, they are a combination of 2 different styles, both of which are linked below.

The green arrow points to the Cherry Sakura trees by, I believe, MAS71. These do not seem to be available anymore, or not that I can find anyways.
The red arrow points to the Tree Avenue trees by NOB available here. (I recommend these to everyone, as they are both sesonal and have beautiful nightlights in them)

That is all for today's mini update, I will return on Friday with update 16, until then I hope you enjoyed this mini update and have a good week.

Pat

Awsome thank you soooo very much Jimmy for doing that for me and those 2 are the eaxct ones i was talking about... - pat

jimmymac

patfirefghtr (Pat): More than welcome, if you see anything else you want to know about just give me a shout. The same goes for anyone else who sees anything in here they want in their cities..

Update 16 - Someone to watch over me.

Firstly we revisit the high wealth residential towers and install a GLR station as they were complaining about their children having to walk across the avenue to get to the other one... lousy idle rich kids.... I always thought that dodging traffic was part of growing up.  ;)

Now we extend the parks, build up the GLR corridor and then populate the remaining spaces with zones for buildings, this was the outcome.

A shot of the parks between the towers from a different angle.

Well it seems people like the GLR, it is longer than most of the trains I get going past the city. I kinda wish it was only single cars, but I guess thats just not possible.

Now it is time to build "the Guardian" of Bedford, the Bedford Angel. A bit of land flattening and it was done, add a few platforms around it and a walk up to it and we have the finished article (she's only finished for the time being though, I shall return to her in a later update).

A closer look at Bedford "Guardian Angel". It is believed by some that Bedford will stand for as long as the Angel remains and once she leaves it means that Bedford's time has come to an end. Others believe that it just makes a really nice city clock with a semi naked women on it.

Next we start filling the gap between the residential towers and the big towers of the business district. To do this we will use the mix of parks and commerce zones. Thanks to the diversity of the BSC parks system I am even able to add a small cafe in the park and a lime-aid stand for those thirsty workers.

A gratuitous night shot of my favourite tower in the entire city. It just looks so nice in the area it stands in.

And so ends update 16. I thank everyone for reading, I hope you all enjoyed this update. I will return again on Monday with update 17, so until then I hope you all have a good weekend, take care.

Stu

HabLeUrG

thats a really nice developing, but I think that needs more work... cant wait for the finished version  ;) have a nice weekend you too  :thumbsup:

jplumbley

Awesome!!  Your great jimmy, first you showcase a map that I make and now your showcasing the blue tower made by Dmscopio, a model that I made the lot for.  Thanks buddy.

Very nice work today!  I like the GLR in Ave setup you've got going there.  Keep up the great NHP advertising!  Maybe, I will give you an advanced copy of SAM when I get it ready for an alpha test.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

serenity086

Another great update!  :thumbsup:
I really like the statue in your city, looks like something that would fit nicely in one of my parks.

bat

Beautiful new updates! Great using of GLR! :thumbsup: Wonderful parks! :thumbsup:

tooheys

Another great update Stu  :thumbsup: Your use of parks to reduce the clutter works well and looks great too  :)

Cheers

Dave

jimmymac

HabLeUrG: I agree, it does need a little more work around the statue, that will come in a later update, don't worry I never leave an area unfinished.

Jplumbley: I have no doubt you will see more NHP stuff, as I use a lot of dmscopio's buildings in most of my cities. As for your offer, I would love to test the SAM when you get it to alpha stage, I can think of some areas in Bedford that I would revisit right away, not to mention Bedford County.

Serenity086 (Amanda): Glad you like it, you're bound to see a lot of future updates in the coming few weeks, so I will be demading your silence.  ;)

bat: I've never had a GLR that has been used as much as this one, I thank the glory of the new NAM for that.

tooheys (Dave): I love the BSC parks system, it makes lots of commercial and residential zones look much richer than they might actually be. The come in useful for lots of things, not only parks (see the end of this post for what I mean of that).

Update 17 - Stadiums, Museums and Lots More (or How A Mayor Likes To Spend Money.)

Today we will see how the mayor of Bedford likes to blow the extra little cash he has laid around his office....

Those darn rich people damanded to drive their car to the GLR, so I finally crumbled and put together a transit hub encompassing car bus and GLR into 1. Everyone was happy.

Lots of small shops built around the transit hub, including a public swimming pool for those hot heady summer days.

Everyone celebrated the opening of Bedford Science Museum and Planitarium. It seems that lots of businesses liked being near it, because as soon as it went down all the buildings you see there grew to the next stage.

The mayor of Bedford was a baseball fan, and wanted to spend lots of money on his team. The Bedford Bengals were very happy at the news of the new stadium. The inclusion of a dual GLR station and extra parking made all the residents happy too.

Bedford County University also recieved a lot of money from the mayor, the students loved the new campus (Just a note, at this point the area is not finished, but will be done in a later update.)

Any university needs a lot of parking.

Seems that a lot of students like going into the city in the evenings for a show or to a club. Although I have to admit the late night tennis games worry me a little....

An overall of the entire university campus.

Now finally, as a bit of a reward for sitting through 17 updates so far, I will give you a mega-teaser. This is my current work in progress city, it is the capital of the region. I want to welcome you all to Stark.

Thank you to everyone for all your replies so far, I hope you enjoyed this update. I will see you all Wednesday for another News Update. Until then, have a good week.

Stu

rooker1

Awesome update.  Really nice stadium, where did you get it?  The city looks very nicely setup.  Great use of the GLR in avenue pieces.

&apls

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.