SC4D Homepage
BSC File Exchange
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

NAM 36 is here!

Author Topic: NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE  (Read 923062 times)

Offline mgb204

Re: NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE
« Reply #4420 on: July 08, 2018, 12:36:56 PM »
Oh, boy . . . E1 ramps . . . Blade, you sure like to live dangerously!   I myself have been through immense frustration with E1 ramps that I hardly ever use them.  Why I find E1 ramps so frustrating is because they assume that there will be an RHW-4S unless there is a starter telling them otherwise.

Well this is simply how all the Overridable DRIs work, they start out with their base network, typically RHW-2 or RHW-4 unless overridden to another network. Sure that can mean using a starter, but most of the time simply having a suitable stretch of a stable RHW network is sufficient.

The key with this particular setup is ensuring the overpass has a stable section of RHW-8C before building the E1 ramps. Since the FlexHeight pieces always need an extra tile of space to place that can often be overridden afterwards, but will not allow them to be placed with such pieces in the way.

Often the order in which you build things can have an impact on how successful a given setup works. Where that fails, sometimes you just need to give a little space between pieces. A little experimentation can really help to get a handle on what works well and what doesn't.

Sim City 4 Devotion Forums

« Reply #4420 on: July 08, 2018, 12:36:56 PM »

Offline bladeberkman

« Reply #4421 on: July 08, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you to everyone who has responded and I apologize for not being clear (that's what I get for posting past 2:00 am  :D). The issue is that I cannot place a flex height transition next to the exit version of this particular type of flex ramp. The pieces rotate away from one another, like placing two magnets of the same polarity side by side. This behavior is an exception to the behavior of all other flex height/flex ramp pairings. Here's what I mean:

An entrance ramp works:

An exit ramp does not work:

All other flex height transitions and flex ramps can be placed end-to-end, with one exception:

-Blade

« Reply #4421 on: July 08, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »

Offline mgb204

« Reply #4422 on: July 08, 2018, 03:47:19 PM »
Perhaps there is some missing or unexpected code there for the Flex Piece. Personally I used the Draggable method to test this, which works just fine. Both pieces are identical, they are just placed differently.

Here's where you can find the patterns for the Draggable Ramps, that's the best work-around for the moment.

« Reply #4422 on: July 08, 2018, 03:47:19 PM »

Offline bladeberkman

« Reply #4423 on: July 08, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »
Hey mgb204,

Thanks for the suggestion! I've tried dragging, too, but with mixed results. For example, the same footprints with different RHW networks produce the following outcomes (on flat terrain, of course):

Drawing this exit does not work:

Drawing a 6S to 4S exit works, but drawing an 8C to 6C exit does not work:

Ultimately, of course, this affects the symmetry of cloverleaves and parclos. For example, drawing a 6S to 4S exit can yield  this:

However, it seems this height/ramp combo doesn't work with all RHW networks. Given the length of the transitions, the footprint of the ramps, and the geometry of the curves, interchange loops like these are only possible on other RHW networks if the flex height transition and the flex ramp piece or draw pattern can touch consistently.

-Blade

« Reply #4423 on: July 08, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »

Offline mgb204

« Reply #4424 on: July 08, 2018, 10:59:06 PM »
You must have the RHW-8C from the overpass stable BEFORE you try to drag the E-Type ramp, otherwise you can not drag it. Because the RHW-2 which is there now simply doesn't support ramps which reduce the lane count, there is no such configuration which prevents you continuing. Just make the overpass longer and use a RHW-8C L1 starter (which you can remove later if desired), to get everything in place. If definitely works, I tried the exact same setup to check.

« Reply #4424 on: July 08, 2018, 10:59:06 PM »

Offline bladeberkman

« Reply #4425 on: July 09, 2018, 12:22:21 AM »
Like this? Sorry, still no luck...  &mmm There's an 8C starter at the top of the height transitions.

EDIT ( :satisfied:):

There we go! Mgb204, I'm sorry if this is what you were trying to tell me to do - I just wasn't understanding you. What worked was adding multiple back-to-back L1 8C starter pieces at the top of the overpass until the flex hight transitions finally, uniformly flexed into 8C mode. In my prior pictures, for whatever reason, the L1 8C starter piece only partially converted the flex height transitions, leaving me to click around and manipulate them into an 8C height transition. Unless the flex height transitions uniformly (not partially) convert into a C-based network, drawing the E1 exit ramp is impossible. However, if the entire flex height transition converts to 8C at the same time, then the E1 exit ramp may be drawn. The key was placing one starter piece after another at the top until the ramps uniformly converted.

Thank you for all of your help! Sorry it took me so long to figure it out!  &opr

-Blade
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:29:05 AM by bladeberkman »

« Reply #4425 on: July 09, 2018, 12:22:21 AM »

Offline mgb204

« Reply #4426 on: July 09, 2018, 01:53:29 AM »
It's a tricky beast, because one side will be RHW-8C, but the other RHW-6C. Placing it so tight causes stability issues, but by working in a very specific order, success can be yours. Follow this three step process and as you can see, it works just fine:

• Set up both the RHW-8C and 6C, but leave a gap a few tiles from where the DRIs will be, to prevent the two interfering with each other.
  • Drag out the the E1 Ramps.
  • Now when you connect the gap left in step one, everything becomes stable.

I think the issue is unique to the C type networks. Because when you use a D/E type ramp, the lane count needs to be altered. But unlike the S networks, only one such configuration is supported, 8C to 6C. Due to this "exclusivity" if you will, if anything around the ramp is not completely stable, its flagged as an invalid configuration, triggering the Unsuitable Area to Build Network message.

If you drag just the basic E1 ramp, the outside tiles (step 2 - shown touching the height transition), would not convert to 8C/6C. That's why you need such a specific order for the RUL to figure everything out, which would just happen by default if the ramp/height transition were one tile further apart. As this creates a more stable setup, it just works without messing around. I hope this helps, but just keep in mind, many setups are possible which may at first seem like they are not. Usually a bit of creative trial and error will find a solution to push the possibilities of RHW that little bit further.

« Reply #4426 on: July 09, 2018, 01:53:29 AM »

If you experience visual glitches in our site, we strongly suggest you to use Firefox to browse the forums. Also a 1024*768 or higher resolution is highly recommended to view this site

Latest News

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2011
SMFAds for Free Forums

Page created in 0.745 seconds with 64 queries.