• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Waldey - My Epicurean Garden (NO Update 5 - 08-10-12)

Started by carlfatal, January 31, 2012, 03:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelis

It's a perfect start for a MD, well done.

I like the region view, a beautiful island perfect to live there, also I like the european style with all those buildings, the stone street is a perfect addition, looks so good.  Well carl, I will keep visiting your great work  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

carlfatal

Hello again,

here i´m back with my first update, but first i want to thank you all.

REPLIES:

@rambuckel,
thank You! When i created a lot of little MMP-scenes while i was making the pictures i did not remember this last sentence. I forgot to change this - and then it was too late.  &mmm

@noahclem,
thank You! I´m very pleased hear this. As i said it was an accident. And yes, i´ve made my own texture and sidewalkreplacement as i was searching some stuff matching with the wonderful SAM paved streets. And planning in this way i think is much more efficient as i don´t have to bulldoze all the time.  ;)

@David, dedgren,
a big thank You! But i think i´m privileged to show my MD here. And yes, real railways were the stuff i missed in the game. I don´t know, how long i needed to create this station but it was a big project as always when i fixed one problem the next came up. But now i´m waiting for the TTR and STR FARR.  :thumbsup: Then i hope to build real pathed stations as this one here is a tweaked lot with invisible lots underneath.  ;D

@RickD,
thank You too, i hoper to please You with the next pictures again.  :)

@Jim/jmyers
Also a big thank You! As You can see i use Your new proppack 2 in the update, downloaded it yesterday - wonderful props and buildings!  :thumbsup:

@Battlecat,
thank You, i hope You will enjoy this update too!

@Framly,
thanks a lot. Now You see why i needed all this time for, and no i surely do not...  ()stsfd()

@MR:Y/KBS386,
thank You, and no: i never was bored, not for a minute...  :P

@Ron/rivit,
Thank You for Your kind words, - oh my...  :(
I knew i would forget someone...  And it´s a shame, cause i forgot to give credits to just Your team and one of the most important teams to me as i use so many BATs and props of the great wmp-team. Late but hopefully not too late a big thank You to all of You!  &apls

@FrankU,
thank You, especially for Your help when i did my first try to mod farms and fields.  &apls

@knapp/Der Gammler,
thanks a lot, my last boss sometimes stood behind me looking over my shoulder an commentedmy doing: "du bist so ein Spießer, so ein richtiger Spießer - du und deine Fachwerkhäuser..."
And i will show pictures in the SImForum too, i´ve changed my mind...  :)

@Robin/rooker1,
thanks a lot, a long time i´ve visited MD´s like Yours to look and learn. And yes, i love the Lot Editor, it´s my most important "game" although there are so much really good MMP´s.

@Kergelen,
thanks, eufl isn´t no more, now it´s the grim tomcat with the melonhat named Carlfatal...   ;D
eufl is the name of one of my two cats, short and easy, but not really a good nick. Carl is my name, sounds better indeed. My comment today: This time i will show again a not sunken church, as it were a well deserved destiny though.  :D

@Dantes,
thanks to You, i didn´t plan to be so loud...

@Arthur/art128,
Thank You, i hope to be well known as a virtual trainspotter. Three new shots of trains...
and a spurline to the brewery....

@apeguy,
thank You, hope to please You again!

@Thomas/solsystem,
Thank You, and how i´ve written to knapp: idefinetively will open a thread in SimForum. Need a little bit time for, but it will come.  :)

@Ioan/io-bg,
thanks to You, Your Region Of Pirgos has always been an inspiration to me. In this update You can see, how much. Now the brewery looks a lot better i think...  ;)

@Silur,
thank You too, i hope You enjoy the next train pictures...

@kelis,
thank You, more stuff is on the way...

Okay, let´s begin.
I didn´t told a word about the history of Kirchberg. The name is based on the fact that there exists a cloister on one of the highest points of complete Waldey. Direkt behind the old Benedictine Abbey the terrain falls down to the Simlish Ocean, a rough stony cost with only a few creeks. Here historians found the remains of the old shipwrecks and some bones and weapons.

The legend tells, that the monks, alarmed from the approaching ships, opened their cellars and rolled all barrels filled with the darkest beer you can think of downhill to the seashore. The vikings landed and were not too curious about that,- they thought it would be some kind of magical island. So the first ting they did was starting a big party and drink till they sunk down...
This was the moment, the monks and their helpers,more than hundred farmers and workers assaulted the drunken sleeping vikings and killed them all.
This happened in the year 992, and from this moment on the beer became always the most famous on Waldey and then in the whole Simlish world: the Yuengling Beer, named after a young man who killed the most vikings.
This Yuengling was a really dumb one, a bar bender, not really fast but very brutal. So he found some guys to follow him. As he was a child they all called him Carl the idiot, but then, after he killed more then fifty of the northmen (predominantly hard wounded men he found already dying) his name changed to Carl The Fatal.  :D

As he learned not only to use his muscles as an really persuasive argument he began his rise to the top of the island-aristocracy. He helped the monks plundering the farmers and so the clergy became a mighty institution during the whole middle ages. After ten years fighting against everyone opposing his wonderful ideas of pressure and exploitation he became the first king of Waldey.

To make along story short: In Europe the clergy and the aristocracy were pleased by this ideas, so they began to disappropriate the former community land. Now all the farmers had to give a tenth of their work to the cloister or the man who owned their house and land. For this they hired tough guys as tax collectors and authorized them to build mills and mayor houses (german: Meierei) for their purposes.
During the middle ages farmers protested against this, tried to destroy new built mills and mayor houses but they lost the fight.
So the aristocracy and the clergy became more and more mighty. This changed nearly five hundred years later caused by the rise of the citizens of big market towns after the reformation and the schism of the Roman Catholic Church.
This are the political backgrounds for buildings like the abbey or the "Meierei" i will show today.

But palavered enough, as now it´s time for some pictures:

2.1 Archeological excavation

2.2 Detail...

2.3 Betwwen the shore and the abbey on the hill

2.4 Abbey from the north

2.5 Abbey Kirchberg/Abtei Kirchberg

2.6 Mayor house of the abbey and old tax storage buildings/Meierei und Zehntscheune

2.7 The wall sourrounded town and abbey, today the most parts are distroyed

2.8 ruins of the wall

2.9 A view from the opposite side

2.10 outside the town...

2.11 Backyards again

2.12 Neue Gasse to the southside / northern side not finished yet...

2.13 The finished brewery

Pub and northern gateway finished

2.15 Detailed shot

Southern gateway of the brewery and spur line

2.17 Incoming freight train

That´s for today, and i must admit: i´m note sure about the idea to use "sharpening" in irvanview.  &mmm

art128

Hi Carl,

Excellent update you've got there, I've enjoyed both the Abbey and the town shots. The destroyed wall around the city is a good idea, and very well made using Roulback's walls and Orange's walls.

Though, there's one thing I'm not quite sure if it is good, funny or scary... I'm talking about the steel fences that closes the brewery where the railways enter in it... I assume it is to maintain the security of the site, but are you sure it is need to put them directly on the tracks?

Keep up the good work,

-Arthur. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

carlfatal

Hi Arthur,
thank You!
I´m answering directly, before someone asks the same: There are no working gates for this situation, i´ve tried to simulate the gates with diagonal fences. Looks much better in my opinion than open areas to the company.
Greetz, Carl

rambuckel

Wow, I guess I'm too tired to realize all of the little details right now. Your pictures are amazingly detailed. And I like that focus on "train stuff". I've never had a closer look on all those pretty props for trains and tracks and stations. I guess it's a pretty good idea to come back as soon as possible :)

Theresa
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

solsystem

Very nice update. I like the backstreet atmosphere in 2.11 and 2.12 and also the work with railway tracks and trains. Very good  &apls

Ol.S / Benoit

Great work ! I love the first two pictures, nice scene :)  :thumbsup:
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

Swordmaster

I wanna live there! Amazing little town, sir. I love the railroads, looks very realistic.

Quote from: art128 on February 10, 2012, 12:31:01 PMThough, there's one thing I'm not quite sure if it is good, funny or scary... I'm talking about the steel fences that closes the brewery where the railways enter in it... I assume it is to maintain the security of the site, but are you sure it is need to put them directly on the tracks?

Else, what's the point of a fence? I think it looks quite realistic.

Cheers,
Willy

whatevermind

Beautiful work.  I especially like the abbey and the backyards.  The urban/rural transitions and the semi-ruined wall are also great.

Typically I avoid sharpening effects, they don't ever seem to correct a "soft" picture in any way that improves upon the original, but that's just my personal habit.  If I need to sharpen a picture, there's usually some combo of contrast editing and edge-finding or some other effect that can get the job done without the noise that accompanies sharpening tools.

clemenclm2001

Very nice pics.

Great start. I hope you show us a lot of pictures about this hopeful region.

Kergelen

Great update!
The archeological excavation and the ruins of the walls are a good idea. And the backyards are so alive.
The rails work is very realistic! &apls

Links to SC4 websites

Flatron

Very nice
keep up that great work!
btw: where did you get that sidewalk-mod?

RickD

&apls for the short spur with the coal hopper on it in pic 16. I love those details.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

noahclem

Amazing update Carl the Fatal  :D  The monastary is perhaps my favorite part but I also love the brewery, the nature scenes and the great old wall-to-wall areas.

Could you tell me what the corner building in picture 2.12 is? It looks really nice and I'm always short on good corner buildings  &mmm

I'll look forward to the next update and save one of those super-dark beers for me!

Dantes

The Abbey looks very nice. :)  I like the landscaping. :o  The archaeological excavation is very exciting. Your town is again true art.  :thumbsup: I like how you design the suburban city with agriculture.  &apls I love the charm of your city.  &apls  &apls  &apls

Connor

Great update! I especially like the archaeological excavation site - very nice little scene. The tow and abbey look beautiful too. Great start to your MD  &apls

kelis

As Dantes said, The Abbey looks very nice, I like that part of the update, it is so realistic and very european. Great !

# Jonathan
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

bat

Great start there! And wonderful pictures of your nice city.
Looking forward to more... ;)

nbvc

Great work. Nice town and very realistic rail station. &apls