• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Terraforming Teton

Started by pvarcoe, January 01, 2007, 02:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livin in Sim

Phil, this is really quite unusual and interesting.  How sad to see the flooded part of town going...going...gone.  I've read in threads on stagnation in a Simcity, that sometimes a disaster or downturn of events can end the period and spur the sims on to growth.  A real life town in our area had a horrible flood in the seventies in which over 200 people died.  The town marshalled it's resources, pulled together and rebuilt with help from the government.  Their perserverance paid off and now the town is very much viable and growing.  I hope this will be the case with New Orleans as well, and I also think of the solidarity of New York after 9/11.  Thanks for a thought provoking update, and I can't wait to see the ski area.

--Liv

NikNik

Wow,Phil 9 pages of sheer joy and amazement. The story is very compelling and very possible. When living in The Netherlands I get reminded of the danger of flooding constantly. In fact my basement floods when there is too much rain (a matter of damage draining that will be fixed next week).

The flooding pics are great. I was amazed at the flooded road, but then the story began about the neighbourhood slowly being flooded. Amazing,let's hope this will never come true anywhere around the world.

That mayor house looks gerat.

Nik-Nik

petercintn

More great stuff, Phil. (Hope you don't mind me calling you Phil)  Compelling story, great shots and original work.  What more could you ask for.  I don't know, but I'm asking for more :D
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

sebes

I read through your last pages in this MD and looked at your fabulous pictures with joy, and, living 2 meters below sea-level, with lots of interest in your story about the flooding Jackson....

As follow up I moved my PC to the third floor of my house to safe my plugin-folder  ;)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

pvarcoe

Update 12.5 - Teton Pass Preview

A new update is coming soon. A transportation network overview will be presented.
It will detail the state of the regions road and highway network at the time of the reconnection, by rail to the outside world.

One portion of that network is highway 22 and it's route through the mountains up to Teton pass.
Here's a preview of that pass (my first attepmt at a mosaic).

The communnications tower sits at the top of the pass.
A climb of over 1200 meters.

Thanks to all for checking out Teton!

beskhu3epnm

I don't know why, but all of the sudden I feel like driving.

This MD is a legend in my books. Awesome, Phil... just awesome.

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

thundercrack83

Great preview! I can't wait to learn more about the transportation network!

Badsim

This view is breathtaking ... perfect , just perfect .You're the one which motivate me the most to progress on natural scenes , I'm still so far from your mastery ... :'(
I suppose that the Olympic Tree Controler isn't sufficient to obtain this result , you also use different mayor tree mods to complement it ?
What a beauty ... I'm jealous . And not only a bit .  ;)

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Nikopol

The pass is drop-dead gorgeous  :thumbsup:
I try to do a pass several times......but nothing is comparable with your skills  :-[

NikNik

Superb pass!

Good addition of the parking spaces -for all you viewers around have a look at the breathtaking view-
The snow almost hits the road, almost. very nice!

Great stuff.

Nik-Nik

bat

The Teton Pass is looking fantastic! Great work! :thumbsup:

meinhosen

Breathtaking!  Superb!  ....  hmm, I need to get a thesaurus to find more synonyms...  I love it.
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

rooker1

Very nice windy road through the beautiful mountains.  I love it.  Great mosaic. ()stsfd()
Call me Robin, please.

petercintn

Wonderful!  Thanks for the inspiration.  &apls
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

Rayden

Beautiful winding road, it blends very well within the scenery not carving it very much, resembling that way reality. ;)

sebes

Breathtaking.

The tranquility that shows of these pictures, the wonderful trees, the snowline and parkings spots to take a pass-photo.. all shows so much of your dedication and affection... I am starting to cry now and shut op :'(
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Darmok

Phil that last pic of the winding road to the communication tower on the mountain top!

WOW!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Breathtaking my friend!

I'd love to ride this one on my ol' Intruder....
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth

jeronij

Excellent and very inspiring picture  :thumbsup:
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

dedgren

That's a beautifully scaled road to the top of the pass, Phil.  Far too often (and I am among the guilty) folks will compress an elevation gain like that into a small space by using unrealistically steep grades.  At 7-8%, which is about the steepest sustained mountain pass grade on U.S. highways, your roughly 1,000 meter elevation change (assuming game water level at 250 meters and using your figure of 1,220 meters as the highest point on the road) would take about 13 or 14 kilometers (about eight miles) of road.  I'd be interested in knowing how long a road you actually have there.

Great work!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

rooker1

I second dedgren request.  That sounds interesting.  It does look very realistic and some kind of formula would be helpful I think. &idea
Call me Robin, please.