• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

VDK Tranports Inc.

Started by vester, January 19, 2012, 09:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vester

TY Noah.

Its the JR Kyushu KiHa 200DC model.

Thought I heard someone asked for some green trains:

Inspired by the old color scheme.

Inspired by the new color scheme.

Again from Keihan Electric Railway.

noahclem

Looks great--and Willy will be happy  ;D  I love green to  :thumbsup:

cogeo

OMG, one new skin every day!

Quote from: vester on April 06, 2013, 04:45:50 PM
Cogeo: Would something like this do:
Well, it might not be the one I was mostly interested in, but it's looking really nice.  :)

So you made the livery and put it on the japanese model. If you are going to relaease it, maybe consider a small change, ie extend the livery lines into the doors, as you did with the small door at the front (and the japanese red/yellow livery). Of course the original livery (in the pics) is as you did it, however if it looks better the other way, why not change it a little? This is a fictional livery/train combination anyway. Otherwise (if you want to stick with the original livery) you may want to make the front (driver's) little door single coloured too (those MAN dmus do have such a door too, maybe at the right side only? - take a look here). I don't like those doors very much, as they disrupt the continuity of the livery lines, but it's an alternative design. The only thing I would suggest changing, is the all-white door (?) at the front face, it's the most disruptive imo.

I have a question, as far as I know a trainset in SC4 consists of an "engine" and a variable number of "cars", with no "last car" defined. That is, can someone make a "symmetrical" multiple-unit train, eg DM-T-T-DM?

And somwthing else, I'm considering making a (true) overhead wire (catenary) for electrified tracks (puzzle pieces or maybe draggable network). There are some "electrified track" mods, but all they do is add some power-pole props through the use of T21s. A "true" wire would look much better. Modders have cited as the main reason of why this "wouldn't be possible to make" misalignment on slopes. And indeed, this is what happens if these models are used as props. However if they are used as network models, they do conform to the slopes. For example, check out how monorail tracks look if they are laid on sloped terrain. So what I will do is make a model and try to use as a network model. My question here is how tall are the pantographs in our models? That is, the tallest point of the pantograph. And is this the distance from the ground or I have to add some additional height? The other thing is making the models. These must be 1-Z/R models. not the 20-Z/R ones exported by the BAT. I will make some basic models for testing with BAT (and take parts of the exported models and make them 1-Z/R), but this is not possible for all the models required (turns, junctions, crossings etc). As you are the only one capable of producing 1-Z/R models from scratch (at least the only one I know), would you be insterested in making such a thing?

vester

That was a long post. Lets take step by step:

Quote from: cogeo on April 07, 2013, 02:03:09 PM
So you made the livery and put it on the japanese model. If you are going to relaease it, maybe consider a small change, ie extend the livery lines into the doors, as you did with the small door at the front (and the japanese red/yellow livery). Of course the original livery (in the pics) is as you did it, however if it looks better the other way, why not change it a little? This is a fictional livery/train combination anyway. Otherwise (if you want to stick with the original livery) you may want to make the front (driver's) little door single coloured too (those MAN dmus do have such a door too, maybe at the right side only? - take a look here). I don't like those doors very much, as they disrupt the continuity of the livery lines, but it's an alternative design. The only thing I would suggest changing, is the all-white door (?) at the front face, it's the most disruptive imo.

Did see that small door after I posted here. Have added it to the model.
Could change the front door to two colors matching the colors on the side of it.
Its a bit of hassle to change the colors on the doors. Kind of like the different colored doors, as it makes it easier to see where the doors are.

I have a question, as far as I know a trainset in SC4 consists of an "engine" and a variable number of "cars", with no "last car" defined. That is, can someone make a "symmetrical" multiple-unit train, eg DM-T-T-DM?
The closest to it is that French mod that uses a big engine and no car (well invisble cars).
Pretty sure its not possible, but if you can find a modder....

And somwthing else, I'm considering making a (true) overhead wire (catenary) for electrified tracks (puzzle pieces or maybe draggable network). There are some "electrified track" mods, but all they do is add some power-pole props through the use of T21s. A "true" wire would look much better. Modders have cited as the main reason of why this "wouldn't be possible to make" misalignment on slopes. And indeed, this is what happens if these models are used as props. However if they are used as network models, they do conform to the slopes. For example, check out how monorail tracks look if they are laid on sloped terrain. So what I will do is make a model and try to use as a network model. My question here is how tall are the pantographs in our models? That is, the tallest point of the pantograph. And is this the distance from the ground or I have to add some additional height? The other thing is making the models. These must be 1-Z/R models. not the 20-Z/R ones exported by the BAT. I will make some basic models for testing with BAT (and take parts of the exported models and make them 1-Z/R), but this is not possible for all the models required (turns, junctions, crossings etc). As you are the only one capable of producing 1-Z/R models from scratch (at least the only one I know), would you be insterested in making such a thing?
Well the trains I am doing now, the pantograph it 6.65 m. No need to add anything to that.

1-Z/R models / 20-Z/R models ? You lost me there.
I use a combination of Max and 3d Milkshape.
Model it in max. Rotate it and then export to 3ds.
Then I use a combination of the reader, Excel and LithUnwrap to place the textures ect.

cogeo

Quote from: vester on April 07, 2013, 02:32:25 PM
Well the trains I am doing now, the pantograph it 6.65 m. No need to add anything to that.
Just another small bit, do you know at what height is the tip of the poles' arms (were the upper cable - the catenary - is held), ie the vertical distance between the powered cable (at 6.65m) and the top of the catenary? If they are too close it may not look very good, and I should either not put a catenary (it will then look like an old tram powerline) or instead make a new pole model as well.

Quote from: vester on April 07, 2013, 02:32:25 PM
1-Z/R models / 20-Z/R models ? You lost me there.
By Z/R I mean zooms and rotations. BAT exports models with 5 zooms and 4 rotations, ie 20 Z/R views (S3D files), while automata models consist of 1 S3D file only, used in all zoom levels and capable of being rotated by any arbitrary angle (eg consider a car on a roundabout).

vester

Quote from: cogeo on April 08, 2013, 11:40:59 AM
By Z/R I mean zooms and rotations. BAT exports models with 5 zooms and 4 rotations, ie 20 Z/R views (S3D files), while automata models consist of 1 S3D file only, used in all zoom levels and capable of being rotated by any arbitrary angle (eg consider a car on a roundabout).

Ahh what some around here calls a true 3d model.

vester

Another train from Keihan Electric Railway:

Magneto

Great to see you're working on japanese trains! They are so inspiring. Currently rocking your Y000 in my cities, I like it man kkep it up!!

vester

Glad you like it.

I will kkep it up. :P
(I do that mistake a lot myself, always keeping an eye out for it.)

Wound a logo for one of the Shinkanse trains which got me two these color combinations:

A bit over the top or do you like it ?

Thinking about doing one with red on top and bottom and a blue stripe ?

vester

Hope you are happy with what you see.

At least this train I am working now is. It holds a BIG smile:

noahclem

Looks great  &apls  I love the happy train  ;D

vester

TY Noah. Glad you like it.

The smiling trains is almost done:

Nightlights is left to do, as is the nightlight for some of the other trains.

vester

Revisit the green/white/green old color scheme:

Trying to ages the appearance.
Added round lights that stands out of the body. Removed the black on the front, changed the display to stand out from the body.

vester

Here is a brand new train that has gone into service just this year:

Kitakinki Tango Railway.

Here is two pictures of the RL one:

Going to the blue as well.

Earwhyckque

It looks great!

However, would you consider adding some extra details, such as the old styled centre headlight? Or modelling the back the same way as the front end, so it would look more like a train composed from separate wagons, instead of a multiple unit? They would be perfect for my not-too-modern region!

vester

Well I am not going to do the top headlight so it stands out over the roof. Way to much work compared to the size of it.

But the other is already done:

Now there is 4 color combinations.

APSMS

Wow. These look great. Will these be available as EL-Rail/Tram cars in addition to Heavy Rail Commuters or just the latter?

Not much of a modern train fan, but your work always impresses. Thanks for sharing. I'll probably use these (older styles) as DMUs in my regions (no electrified rail), so useful regardless. (I guess I could always turn them into Trams after you release them).
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

vester

Couldn't keep my word :P

Did those lamps at the top anyway:

Just could help myself. Wonder how much trouble it will be to update red color on the roof.

APSMS: They will be release as both I guess, EL and PR.
They will be done with an optional car that holds a pantograph. Just remove that from your plug-in folder and you have your DMU.

vester

Been hunting for pictures of old JNR trains (Japanese National Railways).

Here is a little treat:

Calling it KiHa 940 - Oga Line.

noahclem

Excellent work as always Arne  &apls  I think the color scheme on this last one is particularly unique, and attractive.