• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Saitama Prefecture - The Port of Japan

Started by kelis, December 08, 2011, 03:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark7

Quote from: art128 on September 20, 2014, 03:17:58 AM
That's a quite big reclaimed land seaport, Jonathan!
I'll be quite honest with you, I'm not fan of the shape at all. I find it non functional. But still an excellent work shaping it. :)
Also, what is that tanker going to do in a container terminal? ;D

They plan to unload the tanker via bucket brigade.  :D

I tend to agree with you in that it would seem a port shaped like this might be difficult to service (though I supposed tugs are capable of moving the cargo ships where they need to go).  It is probably more of a perception on my part though, since I have no idea how ports are shaped or operate, being that I live 600 or so miles inland.  ;)

@kelis:  Overall, the look of the port is good, just as mentioned before I can't see how big ships can manuevre in such a tight space, which is probably just due to my lack of knowledge of such things.

Dantes

-> You: Kelis-sama the Hero of harbour.
Your port is great. Will you still a business park with industrial building in the neighborhood? You have again created a great work!

romualdillo

I don't know very much about harbour design, but I think it looks fantastic!!  ;D
I hope everything goes well in your new job and your new home!!

carlfatal

I like the harbour, it may need some towboats to bring the big ones to the loading cranes but the whole thing looks safe and big enough to get extensions inside the break walls. If thie ever will be needed, cause I think, I never saw such a big container port before...  $%Grinno$%

Exellent work like always!  :thumbsup:

vortext

Ports can get pretty crazy shape wise, my only complaint would be it's not big enough!  ;D

Nice to see you back Jonathan! Great work.  &apls
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Shark7

@vortext

With the link to the map you posted, now I can see exactly what you mean about real ports being unusually shaped...in fact that one is almost a maze!

So the real limiting factor of a port would be just having enough room for the tugs to manuevre the big ships into position, right?

FrankU

Well, there is a difference between grown ports and built-as-one ports.
The Port of Rotterdam on the map has grown since the 19th century... So some mazes are unavoidable.
Hence, if you look closely at the westernmost part, the new Maasvlakte, you can see that the water and the land are like fingers with all quite direct access to the sea or land. No unnneccessary curves.

joshua43214

well....

It is no worse than the port in that quaint little town formerly known as New Amsterdam.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6684204,-74.0127778,15z

I suppose I should also not mention that said port is rapidly becoming obsolete.

noahclem

Awesome work  &apls  I particularly like those detailed pictures. I'd be curious to know where you got that first container ship and cranes from--they look great! I haven't got very far building ports but one thing I figured out when building mine in my new Siilijoki was that those loaded jrj container ships look a little nicer if you lower them in model tweaker so they don't float so high.

Glad to hear you had a nice summer and I hope you love Antwerp--seems like a great place to live. Say high to that Willy guy for me if you run into him  ;)

benedict

Congratulations, your MD was number one for the week ending September 25th.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

kelis

Hello my friends;

I am here again because I want to try to create something new and because I need motivation. In the last two months I lost a lot of motivation, right now I have some free time for play this game but I just don't do it...
so I took the decision to start from zero, take the game as the first time and create a new region, everything with a natural growth and functional... as may you know I was working with my japanese region and with my Hong Kong recreation, but right now I have not the motivation for work with such a huge map and region, and also I have not time enough for make a good recreation of Hong Kong, becuase I need to work with some models, search pictures, etc...
so I took the decision to start a new japanese region from zero, using the map of Hiroshima, (which is smaller than my current japanese region) and make a new region, but I want to do it using another concept...normally I just show up the last result, when the city of town is complete, but now I want to do everything from zero, share with you ideas and planes, and maybe together we can do a great region full of great updates... so today I just want to share with you the map, as you can see it is a modificated version of Hiroshima... and the first step is work with the map, so the goal for this week is render all the map... then I need to create a transport system map, can somebody help me with that? what is the best tool for that?

I hope you can gives some advices, greetings to all of you my friens and see you soon !!

# Jonathan
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

noahclem

Exciting new project! Starting over and trying things differently can be a great cure for getting bored of a project. And sometimes after a change of scenery it can be nice to return to an old project.

What's worked best for me with mapping planning is using Inkscape. The vector-based nature of it lends itself nicely to road networks and it's easy to separate all the different plans by layers. To get the background for it open the map window in game with no data type selected and then take a screen shot of it, crop to the map, and repeat for every tile (if you go this route it'd be easiest to combine rendering all the tiles and getting the map pictures to save time). For a lower quality but much easier method, open the region in mapper and save a picture of it.

Hope that helps  :thumbsup:

kelis

~ Saitama Prefecture area - Japan ~ (Building Hatsukaichi city)

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||[/b]

• Hello and welcome everyone to a new update. Today I will show you the first step in my new region. It is the small city of Hatsukaichi which is located in the southwest part of the region, in the shore of the Saitama's sea. I took the decission to start building the region from here, because in that way I can build all the transport system which comes from the south and then connect it with the city center, so today we will see which are the planes for this small city •

• Here you can see where is located Hatsukaichi.This gonna be a industrial, port and residential zone, and all will be connected by train and Highways. The most important thing in this part of the region is the international airport, which will be build in that big artificial island and the small ports that I want to create along the shores, so for that reason I need a good transport system here •

• This is the part of the region occupied by Hatsukaichi. The first thing which I need to do is created a plan for the transport system, so I search the real city using Google Earth and I think is a good idea take the inspiration for the real one, because it has train, highway and port, and that everything that I want •

• I've made this picture using the real city of Hatsukaichi and as you can see it has everything that I need to start the construction of the first city of the new Saitama Prefecture

1- Highway.
2- Train line.
3- Hatsukaichi Train station.
4- Fish Port and market.
5- Hatsukaichi Gas port.

• These are the progress for the first days of work, as you can see I got the shape of the port and also I've lotted the train station.It is a half passenger station and half industrial/port tran station. Let see what happen in the next days •

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

~ R - E - P - L - I - E - S ~

noahclem -
Thanks for your fantastic comment my friend ! I have the same opinion that you have, sometimes is good just change and start from zero, just enjoy the game...Thanks for all your advices, I will take a look to Inkscape in the next days, thanks for the information !

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Greetings / Saludos / Groeten

# Jonathan.
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Nanami

Waw you really try to make that city! that city I remembered when streetviewing from Kitakyushu toward Hiroshima.... Its ratherly big since that's one of Hiroshima's suburban area.
nice work so far!  cant wait until you make older Miyajima area of Hatsukaichi...

noahclem

Excellent start  &apls  The fish market area already looks good and I'm eager to see how it turns out. The train station is also very nice but I have a couple questions and suggestions for it. First, and sorry if I've asked this before, why don't you use RRW? I think it'd give you a much nicer look. Second, would it be possible to make the platforms a little longer? In particular the one towards the bottom side of the picture is only long enough to board about two cars at a time, though the top one could be longer as well. Looking forward to what's next  :thumbsup:

Gugu3

art128

Nice start on your new region, Jonathan! Can't wait to see what you're going to do with Hiroshima.

The port is well done and I like the train station.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

romualdillo

It looks great already!!  :thumbsup: Looking forward to see more!!

Dantes

A huge project! Daring! Your harbour like it very much. Your station I love. Have you made the BAT work?

Nice greet from your Bro °w°

Vizoria

It looks very promising. I can't wait to see the finished product!