• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bipin's BAT Boutique

Started by Bipin, November 20, 2011, 01:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dantes

Your latest work is very impressive. The Americans here are happy certainly very over your work!

Shark7

I take it this project is also going to have a height warning system for the correct traffic side?  I've seen similar signs with a big yellow/black striped bar hanging at the bottom of the chains as a 'last chance' type warning for tall vehicles.  The Bar is set at the maximum height that can safely enter the tunnel, and if a truck (for example) hears that bar hit his rig or trailer, he knows he can't get through.

Its a very interesting project you've got going here.

I also have to ask about the main uprights overhanging the concrete...it really doesn't look like it would be as sturdy or stable as it could be.

Bipin

Thanks for the feedback and enthusiasm. I appreciate it!

Quote from: Shark7 on September 21, 2014, 11:31:36 AM
I take it this project is also going to have a height warning system for the correct traffic side?  I've seen similar signs with a big yellow/black striped bar hanging at the bottom of the chains as a 'last chance' type warning for tall vehicles.  The Bar is set at the maximum height that can safely enter the tunnel, and if a truck (for example) hears that bar hit his rig or trailer, he knows he can't get through.

Its a very interesting project you've got going here.

I also have to ask about the main uprights overhanging the concrete...it really doesn't look like it would be as sturdy or stable as it could be.
Quote from: noahclem on September 21, 2014, 09:55:55 AM
I actually meant where the thick metal supports on the sides attach to the concrete below them seemed like it shouldn't partially overhang the area below. Very small matter though and maybe they do it that way. Those yellow chains are a cool detail I actually hadn't noticed before. I used a ~2m tall van for a bunch of stuff with my wedding last summer and had to pay pretty close attention to clearance issues parking as it's height was right about on the line between a normal personal car and oversized--but of course my clearance issues there weren't on regular roadways  :D

Cool to hear you're planning more variations  :thumbsup: A OWR version could almost double as a Euro version, model-wise, though the signage would be a bit out of place.

Ah, I think I see what you two are talking about. While this is only partly realistic; sometimes there is an "outcropping" of concrete to hold up smaller signs, and this is done to some extent with the Big Dig's gantry signs, I wanted to retain shoulder width while not having the gantry foundation outside the tile of the lot this tunnel occupies. I have designed this entrance to fit snugly within a three by one tile area. I have considered adding Jersey barriers to meet the concrete road surface and the retaining walls.

If you guys think I should do this, it would hit two birds with one stone and allow the concrete foundations of the gantry to extend vertically into the ground, as opposed to tapering off into the wall like they currently do. The image above demonstrates what I mean.

joshua43214

I prefer the single big "Do Not Enter" sign to the spam of little ones they use around here. They put so many up sometimes that it is actually confusing. It might not hurt to reduce the size or the intensity of the red a bit though. I am worried it will stand out a bit too much in-game, especially against the light background of the concrete.

I like the wall in your pick, but use the gantry you already made. Bent tubular gantries (like the pic) are...weird looking.

Bipin

Thanks for the kind words Joshua! In regards to the gantry, I'll experiment with a few versions. I chose the bent tubular version since it reflected those used in the Big Dig quite well, which this project is heavily based upon.

deora

Woahh,i din`t even notice the chains the first time.This is seriously amazing.And...and are those some bolts or large nuts screwed in the base of the tunnel entrance sign?Man,i never saw something this detailed for SC 4.
And it`s good to hear that other versions are planned,too.They would be perfect for my Manhattan MD like for the Lincoln Tunnel.Man,those underground circles and curves would be cool as Deco...but i`m dreaming.
Keep up the good work Dude. &apls

Shark7

I'd say it would look sturdier if there wasn't an abrupt 'end' to the bottom of the gantry poles, but rather if it tapered back into the wall gradually over a longer distance.

I hope that is clear enough, its hard to explain without a picture.

Bipin

For those of you who remember those FLUP entrances from a little while ago, I've got something just for you! For those who don't...

Perhaps this will refresh your memory! I had actually been inspired by the Lincoln tunnel in deciding to go ahead with this project. I took the NJ/NY connector bus every day for a few weeks during the summer when I was down near Manhattan. The whole of it was one of the best experiences of my life, thus far.

Enjoy!  :wink:

joshua43214

oh, I like!

not showing up in recent uploads :(
I'm going to go eat some dirt and come back when it is ready....

Bipin

Thanks for the kind words, I am yet to release this though. I'll let you know when it has been uploaded.  ;)

Girafe

good job  ;)

IMHO the colours are still too bright to fit with the game.
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

vester

Quote from: Girafe on October 07, 2014, 02:58:13 PM
good job  ;)

Second that. Maybe make the tire track go a bit further down the down ramp.

Bipin

Quote from: vester on October 07, 2014, 03:07:20 PM
Quote from: Girafe on October 07, 2014, 02:58:13 PM
good job  ;)

Second that. Maybe make the tire track go a bit further down the down ramp.

Those were both concerns of mine. Seeing as you both had noticed this, and seeing that I value your opinions to an especially great extent, I'll fix it. Glad this was caught before I did more renders! Thanks for the kind words and help.

deora

I agree with both above you,but nonetheless it looks great.If only the ingame Streets,Roads and Avenues would look more concrete-ish like the road in your tunnel entrance.
Such deep pitch black roadsurfaces like in SC 4 are not that common in certain countries.Okay,here in Germany new made streets may be black,but they also fade into a more dark grey.And googling around NYC via Streetview tells me that their streets are also more brighter grey.
However,love the stuff you make.It`s always something different like one time it`s a modern civic building,another times it`s residentials and then it is something industrial or for traffic.

Vizoria

Bipin

Thank you for the kind words deora and Vizoria (hah, you guys even rhyme)! I'm glad to see a natural log in here once in a while, LnX.  :D Now, I don't recall if it was on SC4D or SimPeg that some folks commented on the brightness of the concrete. Either way, there's something new just for you:

I probably won't go with something this grungy for the "standard" version, but this just goes to show what is possible with a little retexturing.   ;)

Enjoy!

noahclem

Excellent work Bipin! I actually think this doesn't look too grungy at all, at least not in the sense of dirty and low wealth.

Vizoria

Looking good! Personally I can't wait to see the retaining walls for curved RHW pieces and also Project Symphony elevated highway smooth curves. I love placing highway fillers under Project Symphony highways but there is an awkward empty space below the elevated curves...

Girafe

I prefer this new version  ;)

textures seem to fit better with the game
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

weixc812

Great work Bipin  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
But I have to say it makes sense only when there's a set of that. Single ones do not form a system to use exclusively for our city constuction.
Welcome to ALFERRID(UPDATE 5-District C)
And my other pics at SimCityChina:click here