• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Base Texture Making Tutorial

Started by mrbisonm, October 29, 2011, 09:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knapp

I followed the discussion with interest, having also problems trying to make a HD texture. Finally, I made it doing the following steps: 1. saved the image for texture as 256*256 .png with Gimp
2. exported it to .fsh with the multifsh-batch (button "save fsh"),
3. opened a blank file in ilive reader and inserted the fsh-files there (rightclic in the white area, then "insert & compress file" option) - You can select all fsh in one procedure using the ctrl-key
4. changed the group-ID to 0x0986135E (it was always 0000000) and the Instance-ID to a value of my texture range. Here it is important to give the right ID to the textures. The smallest one has to have the smallest number, then You have to increase this value for each texture like it is shown in Your image of the TGI-Editor. After that, it worked.
Perhaps this may help You. Good luck  :thumbsup:
aka "Der Gammler" on simforum.de and STEX

Simcitler

Quote from: mrbisonm on November 01, 2011, 10:02:32 PM
I only wonder, do I have to resize the image before I open it with the Png to Fsh Batch, and to what size? It is 700x 700 right now (bmp).
I'm not completely sure about this point, but I also resized my textures to this format before using them in SC4Tool!

MandelSoft

You have to resize the image to a format of a power of 2, like 128x128 (SD) or 256x256 (HD). Otherwise, it won't work in-game.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

mrbisonm

I cannot understand why anyone didn't tell me that we have to resize the picture first to get it to be viewed ingame, and please don't tell me why I didn't ask. Now even the Png to Fsh Batch doesn't crash anymore when importing the image and is located anywhere on my computer. I was lucky to have had the idea to ask as a last resort.

Well folks, it worked just fine. Everything is back to normal and I can now create and import basetextures into my LE and game.

To everyone on these three pages of this thread, I would like to thank for helping, directing me into the right direction and solving the problems I had. It was a tough one, but worthwhile and just about when I was going to hang up, we finally found the solution. Thank You.

I decided to write a step by step tutorial for those who experience the same problems or for those who have no idea how to import basetextures to the LE and game, since no valid or detailed info on this is available on anywhere.

Base Texture Tutorial
How to transform and import a basetexture into the LE and Game.

I used these programs, which can be found free on the net or on ST and/Sc4 Devotion. Google search for the links.

- Irfanview, a small, simple, quick and easy to use Paint Program.
- Png to Fsh Batch, a program to transform png to fsh image, necessary for importing. Found on SC4D.
- ilive Reader, a fairly simple tool to open the gamefiles of SC4, found on ST and SC4D.
- LE or Lot Editor, Maxis tool found on the original site to vreate your own lots with props and textures.

IMPORTANT
Make sure that you get yourself an instance Id from the BSC Group first, before there will be some unwanted interactions with other files that use the same instances, if you plan to upload these basetextures.

1. Choose an image that you would like to have as a basetexture for the game.

2. Open it with a paint program (I prefer irfanview, easy, free and simple), it also works with Paint, Gimp, Photoshop and others.

3. Click on "Resize/Resample Image" and resize your image to 128x128. Make sure that the "Preserve aspect ratio" is not checked.

4. Now save the image as a png or bmp anywhere you like to. Give it a name that you will be able to identify later. I recommend to  create a folder in MyDocuments only for this.

5. Open the "Png to Fsh Batch" Program and first click on "New Dat", this will create a new dat and keep it in memory pending.
Note: In the Png to Fsh Batch folder is a small notebook file called Groupid, open it and make sure that the number written is 0986135e without the "0x". If not, change it and save

6. Rightclick and hold on the image and slide it over the empty space in the "Png to Fsh Batch" program, leaving a copy there.

7. Now click on "save". It might take awhile, all depending on the size and quantity of textures you have in the window above. You might save it in the same folder as your image, I recommend to keep the same name. It is now a .dat file.

8. Open this saved datfile with the "ilive Reader" and click on "dir" under the fsh images on the left. The Group numbers should all be 0x0986135e. If not, click on "TGI Editor" on top left of the Reader, then change all five numbers to 0x0986135e, click on apply, close the window and save the file with the reader on top left.

9. Now you're ready to import the .dat file into the MyDocuments/Simcity4/Plugins folder and open the "Lot Editor". Your new creation will be found in the basetexture menu. Enjoy!

Thanks again to all who helped me with this adventure.... ;)
So next time someone asks for a tutorial on how to make basetetxures and import them into the game, link them here.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

vortext

%BUd% Victory!

QuoteI cannot understand why anyone didn't tell me that we have to resize the picture first to get it to be viewed ingame
erm, no offense, but reading isn't exactly your strong point, is it?  ;)
It has been pointed out at least 4 different times the textures should be 128x128 pixels (or 256x256 if you want it to look pretty up close).

Anyway, glad to hear you finally succeeded and great job on the tutorial  &apls
When I begun making textures I had a hard time figuring out as well and it would have been of great help, as it will be to anyone who would like to do some custom textures in the future.

Happy lotting for now :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Lowkee33

@Mrbisonm: It's the first thing I said.

Quote from: vortext on October 30, 2011, 08:09:52 AM
Quote from: mrbisonm on October 30, 2011, 07:22:27 AMSame thing for Null's tool, no instructions how to use it.Same thing for Null's tool, no instructions how to use it. Any instructions on this somewhere?

sorry, but did you actually read any of the replies? ???  This is pretty explanatory and there's nothing more to it really.

Quote from: Lowkee33 on October 29, 2011, 06:49:20 PM

When it extracts, there will be a .txt called GroupID.  Open it, type ID 0x0986135E, save and quit.   The Batch PNG to FSH is ready.

Make a 128x128 texture, and save it as the Instance you want.  Open the Batch PNG to FSH and drag/drop the image on it.  You should see it lined up at the top with proper Group and Instance.

You will learn about the other buttons as you play with it, the important thing is that the check box "Automatically Process Mips" is checked.  Click "Save Dat" and name your file something.

Should be good to go.  It's always best to open the file in Reader to see that the Instances are all correct, and then check in-game.

And yes, batch PNGtoFSH will also create a dat file since simcity nor the LE recognizes single fsh files.

The 256x256 thing is a myth.  SC4 can only display 8 pixels per meter, which is 128 pixels on a base texture.  It's why terrain textures are the size they are.  HD models are still only 8 pixels per meter, and SD are 4.  Everything in SC4 is 8 pixels per meter.  You are waiting time if you use anything but 128 pixels on a base texture, and if you use anything but 4 or 8 pixels per meter while in BAT.

mrbisonm

Well, I guess I have to ask for pardon now, while I have read the entire thread and actually saw the resizing to 128x128 mentioned. I don't know why, but I probably have misunderstood something there, because I remember that I was trying to figure out where to resize them in that program, but still didn't put any importance on this and left it aside. Sorry and excuse me please, folks.

Maybe all this wouldn't have been necessary if I would have carefully read and understood everything from the beginning. Although my English is not too bad (I hope), I speak three other languages better than english (my original languages), since it is only my fourth language spoken, I still have a problem here and there to understand when it gets too complicated. Except for Montreal partially only, we don't speak english in french Québec/Canada and being from German and Swedish descendance, at home we only spoke these two. So it must be a language problem as it often is, but I learn.... ;)

Thanks again for your help, I'm off with working on my textures and BATs that go along with them.

Fred

null45

If you are making base textures the Multi Fsh tool was designed for this purpose, it's group id defaults to 0x0986135E.   :thumbsup:

Also if you prefix your files with 0x followed by the instance id you want to use both tools will pick it up, the id generator used in both tools picks a random number from within the assigned texture range so it potentially could have a collision issue.  &mmm

FrankU

After having read your tutorial the process seems quite simple. Maybe even I can do it!

Would it be a good idea to post your tutorial in the tutorials section with a clear and simple name, so that anyone will be able to find it? It is of great help I am sure.

mrbisonm

Thanks null45, I tried it, but now I am used to the png to fsh batch, I find it easier for me.

FrankU, surely you can do it also, if I can. ;)

Just to show what I have been up to and needed to know how to create basetextures for the game, here is a picture of my CJ/MD here on SC4D. Since I couldn't achieve the effect of a nice looking seawall with gmax, this bastexture with a small wall from my gmax on top makes it looked perfectly for my taste, without going through hours of "gmaxing". This is to represent the low tide on the coastal area of town. ;)
Thanks again for the patience with me.

Fred

jmyers2043

Hello Fred

Quote from: mrbisonm on November 03, 2011, 03:05:05 PM
... this bastexture with a small wall from my gmax on top makes it looked perfectly for my taste, without going through hours of "gmaxing". This is to represent the low tide on the coastal area of town. ...

looks perfectly for my taste too. Feel like sharing?

- Jim
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

mrbisonm

jmyers2043

Hey Fred

Quote from: mrbisonm on November 04, 2011, 07:40:06 AM
Check your mailbox, Jim. ;)

I've got mail just in time for the weekend. Thank you.

- Jim
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

FrankU

Hey Fred,

Looks good indeed. And... ehm... do I see a Modern Farm Barn?