• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tales at TeaTime

Started by TheTeaCat, May 22, 2007, 04:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

art128

Oh hell, how to know which house is yours in this cottage ?  ;D
Seriously, fantastic work Derry (sorry for commenting only now..  :-[ ) I liked this update a lot my friend. Nice work with the lines of houses, certainly it was hard to let them grow there.

Take care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

TheTeaCat

Replies

Quote from: threestooges on September 26, 2010, 09:08:19 PM
What a bunch of boring, bland, samey-sameness. It takes a lot of work to get that in the game.
Well done on this Derry. A few of the pictures reminded me of areas I've seen before in real
life. I have to imagine it'd get a touch confusing whose house was whose, especially after a
night at the pub. I recall a few stories about that when I was in Dublin (why the doors all
have different colors). Any special tricks you used to get the uniformity? How long did it
take?
-Matt
Thank you Matt.
Yes it was boring getting things to grow like this but to get this many building to grow the
same is pretty easy really. Just have the ones you want in your plugins and use the BSC Maxis 
blocker. easy as pie. Still took quite a few evening to do though but worth it in the end.

Quote from: Jmouse on September 27, 2010, 03:34:59 PM
Wow, this is what I call shifting gears in the middle
of a relaxing Sunday drive in the country! The endless repetition /wrrd%& makes me think of
the subsidized housing we see throughout the U.S. Rent is based on the tenant's income, and
the government makes up the difference. The structures are rather dismal apartments which are
so tiny, you couldn't cuss a cat in the living room without getting fur in your mouth! Grim
and boring, yes, but a part of life just the same. I do like the way you've created terraces
to add some interest.

Nice of you
to save the best for last, though! :D

Later...
Joan

Thank you Joan.
Endless reptition is something you see quite often with building styles especially for housing
anyway. Find a design thats easy to build and that way you only have to design a few plans
instead of lots of indiviual ones. Cheaper too for the developers.And I can say the same thing
about size of rooms. I once had a room where I could touch both walls with outstretched arms.
And NO Folks it wasn't a prison cell either lol

Quote from: rooker1 on October 04, 2010, 03:54:53 PM
I saw this update the day you posted, but was unsure what to say as this is one of the most
boring post I have ever seen.  So I thought to myself if I post just that, that would not be
too nice.  And now I am back today to tell you that this is the most boring post I have ever
seen......but when you get right down you can see the brilliance of it all.  There are next to
no foundations on any of those lots, that in itself is an awesome feat.  Next is the fact that
you were able/patient enough to get that many houses to grow all the same.
At the end of the day Derry, this was another fantastic update!

Robin  :thumbsup:

Thanks Robin.
I am so glad you found it boring too HA! But thank you for noticing the lack of foundations
and other little things like that. Its often those little things that make all the difference.

Quote from: Nardo69 on October 05, 2010, 04:04:57 AM
Oh yeah, boring ... plain dead boring (as wished  :D )

I don't know how often Z blew up that Hotel Majestic in 3.6.2 when I grew just likes crazy.::)
I guess our friend Dozer 07 was rather busy - at least on my systems it's hard to get that
much of rp200x / zero7's bungalows!

Nice Idea with that avenue triangle - however I would have used the road roundabout and two
roads there. But that's my taste ...

Take care my friend!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

Cheers Bernhard.
Glad you liked the update. I am sure as the city develops that more of RP's housing will
dissapear but we will have to wait and see eh?
As for the triangle the traffic there at present is fine but if it increases the city
transportation deptartment will look into streamling it so who knows what the future holds.

Quote from: Pat on October 05, 2010, 10:36:59 AM
been looking on and pondering here about how everyone says this is sooo boring and well I've
succumbed to the same thoughts here as everyone else... I was also thinking man this looks
like my city of Rhinelander hmmmm....

PAT.
Thank you mate, good to see you again too.
Hope you weren't too bored though lol

Quote from: bat on October 17, 2010, 09:31:21 AM
That are nice rows of houses. Some nice pictures of your city...
Looking forward to more. :)

Thanks a lot bat :thumbsup:

Quote from: art128 on October 31, 2010, 07:23:05 AM
Oh hell, how to know which house is yours in this cottage ?  ;D
Seriously, fantastic work Derry (sorry for commenting only now..  :-[ ) I liked this update a
lot my friend. Nice work with the lines of houses, certainly it was hard to let them grow there.

Take care,

Better late than never Arthur. And thank you.

Oh Yes somethings brewing by the way, you'll just have to be patient Folks

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

mightygoose

the last few updates i have now caught up on and it is great to see you continuing with the project.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

threestooges

Something brewing indeed.

The return of the 4-in-1 run in OSITM. During the month of November, in celebration of SC4D's Anniversary, we've picked 4 MDs in addition to the others (who will be there for the full month) to appear in OSITM: one every week. Derry is up first and with that, this makes it the 4th time Tales at Tea Time has been to OSITM. Congratulations Derry, and it'll be interesting to see what you have in store for this week.

Nardo69

Hi Derry!

Hope the kettle on the fire i's full and there's plenty of tea for this week!  ;)  ;D

Congrats to the fourth time award!  :)

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

rooker1

Hello Derry my good friend,
Congrats on your fourth time in OSITM!!  It is really going to be a fantastic SC4D birthday month with you in the lead of the 4 in 1 of OSITM!  It is of no surprise or wonder to anyone why The Great Rural Master is here!  I'm sure your week is going to be a great pleasure.
&apls

Call me Robin, please.

Girafe

Seems you are used to be there TTC

congats to you  &apls &apls

hope to see more fantastic scenes from your MD   ::)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

art128

Derry, my friend, this is more than a surprise ! Four time awardee !

Can't wait to see what you have for us this month,
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tomas Neto

Badsim

Congratulations , Derry , your prize list is quite impressive and perfectly deserved ...  &apls &apls &apls

... the master of rural countries , indeed , and with , many times , a special interest & emotion for me as your work , inspired by your country , reminds me so much the Haute-Loire of my own childhood ...  :'( , we have the same age and certainly the same attachment for our native countries , despite the fact they have been harsh for our ancestors .  I can feel it through your pictures ... and that's rather rare I can feel something so personal through some SC4 pictures  . ;)

Hope to see very soon more of that fine work T.a.T.T is . Sometimes down , always back .  :thumbsup:

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Battlecat

Congratulations!  Can't wait to see what you've got planned; you always put together amazingly inspiring scenes!

TheTeaCat

Welcome all,

Thank you for this very special opportunity in this very special month.
Let me first say a few words of thanks to the commitee for giving me this time to spend with you.

Its a great honour to have been selected to appear and hope you will all enjoy what I have in store for you.

Right where to start?

Tales at TeaTime is a labour of love with me and has been through many transformations over the years it has been in existence.

Tears and Trantrums, Torment is what it should have been called what with everything that has happened since I started this MD. :D

Hdd failures, pcs going up in smoke (literally) and random crashes took its toll many times over with loads of work lost or ruined. Backups I hear you say, yes I made them but somehow it was never the same, restarts and more restarts of regions until we end up where we are today.

I have learned so much over the years that many things have changed especially my style of play. I've learned to lot the proper way with much guidance from many many people that I can never repay them in a fitting way with too many names to mention. Anyone whos given me advice, well you all know who you are ;)

I 've learned to BAT too ( ok well not very well but I keep trying lol ) and who knows what the future holds eh? Again many people
to mention but special thanks go to Arne (Vester) for his patience and help in too many things that I fudge and helping me correct them. And again to Jim (JMeyers) for many helpful tips.

Over the years, many wonderful BATS and stuff have appeared on the LEX and without those superb creations I would not enjoy the game as much as I do. Those wonderful creations allowed me to develop my rural skills to what I have today. Don't get me wrong while I enjoy creating cities I prefer the rural stuff more :)

Take this for instance

the very first "rural" town I did

Not bad but still quite limited in detail. Ok I know not very good but actually really good for what was available at the time.

But over the last few years I have managed to hone my skills and now  create scences that are more natural in a way. I can spend whole evening doing a small area of maybe only 6-8 tiles in size. but the slower I play, the more I enjoy it besides I get to drink more Tea that way :D:D

Anyway enough jibberjabbing on with the show. ;)

Thank you to everyone who left a comment or two for taking the time over the years to do so,Your
many words of encouragement, advice and thoughfullness through many dark periods helped in so many ways.

To those who have looked and to any new readers who may have just stumbled on it, I hope you enjoy your time here and will do so for the rest of my time in OSITM.

Regards
Derry

Must be time for Tea now  :D:D

TTC
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"

vester

Congratulation, Derry.

Great update. You have a great eye and hand for natur scenes. A real nice stream.

Jmouse

Congratulations on this well-deserved honor, Derry. You're a pioneer  who has blazed a trail for the rest of us during the past 3 1/2 years. You have set a shining example of what MDing is all about.

Through good and bad, through tears, tantrums and torment, you have persevered. Perhaps you had a vision of what you wanted from the very beginning, or maybe you were just too stubborn to let the pitfalls get in your way. :D Regardless of the reason, though, somehow you found the strength and inspiration to move forward and in doing so, improve your skills.

So it is us, your legion of readers, who owe you a debt of gratitude. Not only have you entertained us with beautiful photos and a sometimes-wacky sense of humor, you have left indelible footprints on the road to success.

Thank you for showing us the way...
Joan

ecoba

Congrats on again getting OSITM, Derry ! ;)  I very much enjoyed this update, as I do with most all of yours and this rural village is especially beautiful !

Ethan :)

rooker1

Hey Derry,
I hope to be able to make some rurla towns half as good as that first pic of yours.
Congrats again for being here in OSITM!!!  With this first post I really look forward to seeing what comes next!  Great work as always.  But I sometimes wish the brush(/plop) was not so round. ::)

Call me Robin, please.

marsh

Alright... First of all I have to say that I have been a lurker for quite a time now, and I think your 4th OSITM is a good time to post my first comment in here.  ;D Your work is wonderful and you are a master at rural scenes.

I have to say I love this picture. (http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa148/theteacat/update3-2.jpg)
It reminds me of a road on the outskirts of the city i used to live in. (Coincidently called "Rollercoaster road :D"

Anyways keep up the great work. I haven't commented because... I really don't know what to say. And I don't like leaving one-word comments like "awesome" But this IS awesome. Don't get me wrong.  $%Grinno$%
I love your work in here and hope you continue forever.

,marsh  :satisfied:

TheTeaCat

Thank you all for your wonderful comments, I really do appreciate each and every one of them.

A sunken lane (also hollow way or holloway) is a road which has over time fallen significantly lower than the land on either side. They are created incrementally by erosion, by water and traffic. Some are very ancient with evidence of Roman or Iron Age origins, but others such as the Deep Hill Ruts at Guernsey, Wyoming developed in the space of a decade or two.

Where ancient trackways have lapsed from use, the overgrown and shallow marks of hollow ways through forest may be the sole evidence of their former existence. On disused ridgeways in central Germany, the hollow ways often mark inclines.

The old Roman road from Deva Victrix to Wilderspool, Newton Hollows, Cheshire, UK.

The earth banks on either side, sometimes topped with hedges and trees, give the impression of a tunnel enclosing the traveller. Because the roadway is restricted by the banks on either side, sunken lanes typically admit the passage of only one vehicle; that is, they are single track roads. Occasional passing places may be provided, but a meeting of vehicles in a sunken lane often requires one party to reverse to a suitable passing place. In Central Germany, "dual carriageways" have been observed with two trenches side by side where a trackway was in such heavy use that it had lanes dedicated for each direction.

The aptly-named Hollow Lane, Canterbury, UK, joins the city to the Roman road, Stone Street

Up to the present day, some writers have assumed that low banks were deliberately created with shovels as a means to hem in cattle, but there is no evidence for this, and in any case, banking only appears intermittently in certain types of soil. When metalled, sunken lanes are unlikely to erode any further down.

Sunken lanes are a characteristic feature of the landscape of southern England, especially in greensand areas of the North and South Downs, and the Weald.

While many sunken lanes are now metalled, some are still unsurfaced green lanes, typically now designated as bridleways. A few sunken lanes are open to vehicular traffic as Byways Open to All Traffic, although the severe potential for increased erosion means that such usage is increasingly restricted.

Miscellaneous

*    A sunken road played a major role in many military operations, such as the American Civil War battles at Antietam,       Fredericksburg, and Shiloh; and in the Battle of Waterloo.
    *    A sunken road is a cross country equestrian obstacle

The start/end of Hollowway Lane where it joins the Straight Road

Quite a steep climb up the hill

weaving its way up the hill to........

To be continued

TTC

rooker1

Hey Derry,
Very interesting piece of history.....I was going to do the exact same thing in one of my updates next week.  Just kiiding, I could never have come up with something so brilliant.  Great work so far.  My interest is piqued as to where this path of yours is going.

Call me Robin, please.

Jmouse

Fascinating story, Derry! And some mighty nice photos to go with it. The first RL pic looks almost scary - no telling what lives in those woods!

You certainly have my attention now, and I hope you meant what you said about continuing the story!

Later Sooner...  ;)
Joan