• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

LEX Agriculture

Started by finaltable, April 03, 2011, 09:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finaltable

I was going through the LEX Disk and there is option after option of different agriculture to pick from.  So can you put all of them in your plug-ins folder?  Will they all work or do you have to pick what one you want then continually swap them out?  I'm hoping you can load them all but then are they all plopable?  Or they grow on depending on what size you make it?

Same question for the canals and waterways?
"Buying the right computer and getting it to work properly is no more complicated than building a nuclear reactor from wristwatch parts in a darkened room using only your teeth."  ~ Dave Barry

jdenm8

Presumably you're talking abouy the CC crops, like the SG and BSC sets.

Yes, they can all go in yor plugins folder.
Yes, they will all work together.
No, none of them are ploppable, but I believe there is a mod on the STEX thart contains ploppable versions. I don't have a link, sorry.
No, they are completely independent of the size of the zone.

However, they do have one defining point:
Without modifying the game's default farms or installing custom farms, the additional crops won't grow. This is because the built-in farms don't call them to include in the randomiser that determines what crop grows.

On the same token, some custom farms ONLY call these custom crops, or a subset or even just one. The immensely annoying (If it grew in one of your cities, you'd find out why) Banana Plantation is a good example, only calling the BSC Banana crop.

HOWEVER,
If you're talking about the custom Farms, then you can install them no worries, they're just like any other kind of custom Growable LOT except with the custom crop consession mentioned above.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

finaltable

haha the Banana farm huh.... well I guess I know which one to delete out of my folder then.  I will have to see what works, when I finally start up the game.  Trial and error! 
"Buying the right computer and getting it to work properly is no more complicated than building a nuclear reactor from wristwatch parts in a darkened room using only your teeth."  ~ Dave Barry

finaltable

Ok so back to farming again.  I'm going through and picking farms off of the LEX Disk, trying to find a select few that I would like to have in my cities.

@jdenm8 I was just re-reading your post and it seems after installing any farm, there is no guarantee for it to grow correct?  Also there is no guarantee that all farms will grow and not just one?

Next questions is, When you look at a description of the farms and it say this farm is 3x4 or 2x4 or 6x6.  Do you make the agriculture zoning this size?  Or does it still need to be bigger to allow for the crop?   

Lowkee33

There is a property called Building Value, and I believe it has a lot to do with the chance of a certain building growing.  Installing all of the agriculture, (  ;) ) I got mostly Tag_One's farm to grow.  Looking at the Building Value it is much higher than the other farms of the same stage.  I just took it out of the plugin folder, but you could open it in Reader or PIMX and drop that amount.  After that I saw much more varied farms.  Then dealing with some crazy CSX fields...

I think a farm zone needs to be 16 tiles greater than the size of the building, so with your 6x6 you first need a 6x6 zone, and then zone 16 more tiles around it.  There is also slope that the lot needs to contend with, but the slope a farm can grow at is pretty high.   

finaltable

Lowkee33 are you saying that I should zone a 6x6 and press play and see if the building grows, then pause the game and zone 16 times around it? 

I think I will just go with not putting in Tag_one's farm. That is much easier for me now.  After playing with the game for some time, I can always refer back to this thread and think about the option of changing the building value.

jdenm8

No, just drag 6x6 and the additional 16 tiles at the same time. The farm won't grow until it gets the size needed.

Lowkee33

Hmm, Perhaps if you do zone the 6x6 with the control key down (thus getting arrows on the lot), and then do the other 16, you will have a higher chance of growing the correct size farm.  This I have not tried, so I have no idea.

finaltable

I appreciate your ideas guys!  :thumbsup:  Thanks a bunch!  I will update this thread with my results or success.  ;)

jdenm8

I don't know if that would work, as crops seem to grow much like axillary buildings for the more dense Industrials.
By using the Ctrl method, crops probably will not grow at all.

finaltable

Quote from: jdenm8 on April 17, 2011, 08:18:58 PM
I don't know if that would work, as crops seem to grow much like axillary buildings for the more dense Industrials.
By using the Ctrl method, crops probably will not grow at all.

So if I have a lot that is say 2x4 or 3x4 then how big should I make the extra tiles (space)?  So your zoned lot is going to look different compared to the 6x6 lot with the 16 extra squares.  Not so much square shape.  If you follow me.

jdenm8

I think one of the reasons why industrials don't have arrows by default is because of those outliers.

I think using Ctrl on a farm will constrain the base LOT to that area, while not allowing crops to grow at all.

I don't really know though as I've never experimented (and I've never seen results of experimentation) with this.

finaltable

Well I have been experimenting with my farms, and I have to say with just random zoning,  I have been getting a wide variety of farms, so far so good.  A lot better than the Maxis versions of the farms for sure.