• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Mattb325 plays Shosaloza

Started by mattb325, December 23, 2006, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikNik

Fantastic update(s) Matt.

I haven't visited a while and missed a fantastic story about the Rector (he, he, he  :D)

Great to see how all these great industries grew. It's a painstaking way to play but I use it too and love it.
Those Cycledogg homes, where can I find them?

Best laugh: picture with billboard and car crash.  :D :D
(did you place that solar station on that pic again in the wrong way?)

Nik-Nik

BarbyW

Nik-Nik asked:
QuoteThose Cycledogg homes, where can I find them?
At the moment they are in testing to BSC members only. Cycledogg is making some changes so once he has finished he will no doubt release them. He has released the bus stop and train station as wekk as the Wagon Works so they are on the way.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Yoder7652

well Matt, I didn't realize you had a shosaloza thread too. I'm loving your pictures and tour by the Rector  :D I like your playing style and integration of so much flora in the city. Your farms, a couple of pages ago, are brilliant.

mattb325

Thank you all for the lovely comments and thank you beskhu3epm for making this map. To say it's challenging is an under statement!!!!! $%Grinno$%

UPDATE NEWPORT

Today is a very quick update as I've not had too much time to play the game, but I thought we'd look at Newport.

Newport is located on C3 and is highly sought after in Shosaloza because of the natural beauty within its boundaries; waterfalls, quiet bays, steep hills and serendipitous views abound.

15,000 lucky sims call this place home and to them it is paradise.

Newport is a favoured holiday spot for the well heeled older Sims of Shosaloza and has very strict development controls in place.

First, I thought I'd show you the waterfalls which spill from the alpine scree lakes in Turramurra to make their way to the sea.

And finally, the falls dart under the Great Coast Road before spilling into the bay. Under the shade of towering trees this area is mossy and green:

From the Great Coast Road, tourists follow The Serpentine, which can either take them into Newport or back up the mountain to Turramurra. For now, we will follow the road to Newport and see the coastal areas

The Serpentine is one of the more photographed coastal roads in Shosaloza. Apartments line the road close to the centre of Newport:

Apartments cling to the slopes where they can.

This area has been popular since the 19th Century:

However, The Serpentine gets its name from its sharp twists and turns and can be precarious for drivers. Of course, the views can be amazing:

As the Serpentine wends its way into the centre of Newport, the most exclusive and commodious of the 19th Century apartments were built with direct views to the bay from all principal rooms:

The old mill is now a marvellous tourist attraction where ladies take tea and eat scones (pronounced 'scoanez') with jam and cream:

But of course, the tourists mostly see this: the posh hotels the form the major part of Newport's downtown:

From here, the Serpentine winds its way to St Bartholomew's On Sea (so named after the Church of the same name). Situate directly on the water, this is the most popular church in all of  Shosaloza for weddings; and of course who wouldn't want to be a spring bride here:

(Personally I don't care whether they're spring brides, shotgun marriages or single parents – so long as the sims breed and help me get to 1,000,000 then I'm happy)

To the left of St Bartholomew's On Sea, the road winds towards the Alford's Point, the most easterly projection in Newport:

At the end of this point, some of the wealthiest of Shosaloza have their Summer homes:

Being exposed to the ocean and at the foot of some very steep mountains, Newport is quite often very overcast:

The sea takes on a beautiful glow as the storm approaches:

So, with that small tour, I'd like to leave you with some atmospheric shots of Newport.

Dawn:

Dusk:

Yoder7652

paradise indeed  :sunny:, looks like a lovely spot to relax and soak up some nature. btw, what did you do to your pics, they look so vivid and pleasant to the eye

CabraBuitre

Very nice Matt!  I really like how you've shaped the city to match the terrain!

I've seen lots MORE houses that I don't recognize... I will assume they are from CP's upcoming set, and that's really exciting!

Also, the lighter green trees found in pictures 6, 10, 12, 13, and 15... I don't recognize those as something that has been released yet, are those from an upcoming set as well?

I've really liked this Shosaloza series because it really shows that the creators of such amazing creations are quite adept at creating cities as well!!  Keep up the good work!

Check out Abelfarei!

Colyn

Great stuff ... tell me what water Mod do you use ...

CabraBuitre ... those trees are all from Cycledoog ... it is the seasonal versions of his pines I think ...

And here is the quote of the day ..

(Personally I don't care whether they're spring brides, shotgun marriages or single parents – so long as the sims breed and help me get to 1,000,000 then I'm happy)
Work, the annoying period between bike trips.
Come see CSX Play

BarbyW

Excellent update, Matt. Wonderful use of the scenery and also I see some JRJ style terraforming. I have still to tackle this city and keep putting it off ::)
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

sam

Fantastic pictures  &apls

I too have been wondering what to do with the C3 city, but your effort is very inspiring. The scenic pictures with the waterfalls are great. Thank you for sharing this.

NikNik

Very nice update Matt. :thumbsup:

Love that winding road. In pic 10 I even see some fences to protect the unwary driver to fall all away down to the cliffs below. You are a good mayor!
I love the waterfall pics and I also love the way in you shoot the pics. I noticed that in every pic (apart from the waterfall series and the dusk and dawn pics) there is the sea. It gives the city a very nice feel.

Nik-Nik

bat

Wonderful work!! Great river and seaside!

kwakelaar

Very nice Matt, some great shots of your fantastic skills as a mayor in Simcity.
It all seems very lush and green thus your enviromentalist lobby must be doing their job very well.

mattb325

Thankyou all for the comments.

Some quick answers to the comments - in no particular order here  $%Grinno$%

*The water mod is pegs clipper
*The trees are all Cycledoggs props (the light green ones are the spring versions of the larch, elm and oaks). I also use the flora mode versions, but obviously these don't change with the seasons.
*The plop lots that I spray around are Kants' rural development kit, Andreas' Cycledogg lots and pegs lots (both original and some modified to include a cycledogg base texture as well as some of my own trees).
*The houses I use are a mixture of Cycledoogs, swi21, SG, jen_p, gascooker, haarlemergold, odd from sweden, stephenh/sfbt, xannepan, porkissimo, vanderaap, DT and mine. So some will indeed be shown that won't be available just yet.
*With the pictures, I had previously just allowed MS paint to convert them into jpegs (I know, I know, sacrilege), so I now use MS 'Picture it' which gives slightly better quality and control.
*For all of these pictures I brightened by 7% and increased the contrast by 10% and then applied a soften of 5-7%. For the summer pictures I added a purple tint of about 8% to give that languid, hazy look. For the spring set I applied a pale yellow tint of about 8% to counter SC4's pink tone preference, and the autumn ones got a beige tint of the same value

sebes

Wow Matt, you made some pieces of art again.

I like also that your Shosaloza has many Dutch houses in a non-Dutch environment  ! Feels as home... :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

pvarcoe

The shots involving the sea water just blow me away.
I can't believe how real the water looks.

The waterfall areas with ploppable water are really well done too!

And the developed areas ....well they speak for themselves.

mattb325

Thanks for the comments: Sebes...Sydney has many, many Dutch buildings as well as English - prior to being called New South Wales, we were known as New Holland  ;)

Well, I was looking through the collection of images, and I know I keep promising that the Rector (he, he, he  :D) will return and, gosh-darn it he will, but for the time being I've grabbed a few happy snaps which bore a common theme.

This update will be brief; just a few images of Hunters Hill on tile D3.

Hunters Hill has become quite the metropolis with about 120,000 Sims.

It never had the planning controls of neighbouring Newport and with water being a popular aspect in Shosaloza, boomed upwards in a mass of steel, concrete and glass.

So,

UPDATE - HUNTERS HILL PART I

Or (with apologies to Callagrafx):

CONFACIMUS NAVEGEMUS

Yes kiddies, it really does as life...

...sailing that is (never mix coke and sailing  $%Grinno$%) ....

Sorry this was a very quick update, but it was the Australia Day long weekend and I was fortunate enough to be out on Sydney harbour on a perfect mid-summer's day (warm, 24C, breezy and a brilliant blue sky) on a friend's boat.

The group of ten of us took the boat from its mooring at Bobbin Head up Middle Harbour and eventually to Berowra Waters on the Hawkesbury river.

There we spent the day fishing and swimming (the brave only: the water is only 14C, so a tad cold for swimming) and the night drinking and dining and barbequing the only fish caught between 10 of us (thankfully the girls packed chicken): sailing back the next morning.

It was a perfect weekend, so there was little time for sim city.

For those of you in the Northern Hemisphere battling winter....here's a photo of the beach taken through the banksia trees we stopped at within the Ku-ring-gai National Park near the town of Brooklyn. Less than 30 minutes at from all of the concrete and steel of one of the world's largest cities, you can still find deserted spots to relax:

We will visit Hunters Hill properly in another update.

Rayden

Quick, small but concise update. Perfect in all aspects, except for that pier placement. It must be placed almost at water level or it will look weird, almost like a base jump pier ;)

Yoder7652

I love that shot of the building by Odisanker...that has to be one of the most detailed skyscrapers I've seen...great work with these pics, Matt  &apls

Alfred.Jones

That looks so awesome!! I love that first picture!! Keep it up mate :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

bat

Wonderful pictures from the seaside! :thumbsup: