SC4D Homepage
BSC File Exchange
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Siilijoki  (Read 363319 times)

Offline kelis

• || Mijn eigen Wereld ||
    • ~ Kelis Bat Design ~
  • CL:
    Puerta del Mundo
Re: Siilijoki
« Reply #1300 on: November 23, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »
My friend you have a computer in your mind, right ? Those interchanges are crazy !! I can't wait to see that roundabout completed.

I would like to thank you for that tribute on SC4D and it's birthday and for that you are doing and you did for the community, thanks  &apls &apls

Thanks so much my friend, I'm glad if my little tribute offered a bit of something nice to the people of this great site. I very much hope to contribute more as time goes forward and having such nice support certainly helps keep my love of SC4D going or maybe even growing ;) Do still have high hopes on finishing the roundabout, though now it'll be situated in a new city, but one sharing much in common with the one here. Hopefully I'll even get it functioning well and pass it along for others to enjoy. And the day I stop with the crazy interchanges will be the day--I don't know, some day that would just never happen  ::)

-Noah
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:36:31 PM by noahclem »
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Sim City 4 Devotion Forums

« Reply #1300 on: November 23, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »

Offline Tyberius06

« Reply #1301 on: November 23, 2017, 10:39:35 AM »
Woooow!!!!

Those highways! I got a lot of inspirations from the way how you build up your highway and railway system. I'm the middle of a lot of background project and the last 2 months I didn't open up either of my cities, but recently seen WIP city project from others (including you) gave me ideas. :) Thank you so much!
Oh, I don't know what is your plan with the already showed very nice new tram-in-avenue textures of yours, but whenever they will be ready, I think it worths a release. :)
Thanks to showing these nice pictures!

- Tyberius

Thanks Tibi, very glad to provide ideas! I haven't been actively working on the texture set in a while but do hope to resume. In the meantime I make all my working files available on request. Lots of work still to be done with them but there's enough done that they're fairly usable.

-Noah
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:49:38 PM by noahclem »
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or on the freshly launched SC4 Defined Invasion Community: Tyberius Lotting Experiments Defined
or over there on Simtropolis into the Show Us What You're Working On thread.
I'm also working on some preservation projects the behalf of non-anymore-active-developpers.

« Reply #1301 on: November 23, 2017, 10:39:35 AM »

Offline brick_mortimer

« Reply #1302 on: November 23, 2017, 12:23:15 PM »
...I hope you enjoyed my little bit of a show attempting to tribute SC4D
I always like a good show ;D

Your attempt to pay tribute to SC4D was succesful, don't you worry  &apls

Thanks a lot, glad I didn't disappoint :)

-Noah
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:50:35 PM by noahclem »
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

« Reply #1302 on: November 23, 2017, 12:23:15 PM »

Offline Seaman

« Reply #1303 on: November 23, 2017, 01:38:53 PM »
Woooow!!!!

Those highways! I got a lot of inspirations from the way how you build up your highway and railway system.

I can second that. I've actually downloaded some of your transit network pictures and spent quite some time analyzing them in order to get some inspirations. In respect to RHW and RRW, I consider your style to be exemplary.

Can't think of a lot nicer compliment--thanks ! Very happy to offer ideas and inspiration :)

-Noah
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:57:18 PM by noahclem »

« Reply #1303 on: November 23, 2017, 01:38:53 PM »

Offline Themistokles

• If Simcity were a democracy we'd all be ostracised
« Reply #1304 on: November 23, 2017, 04:47:52 PM »
Firstly, it is very interesting to read your reflections on the site and the game. Even though RL allows one time sometimes and sometimes not, SC4 always comes back. You and all the other administrators are doing a wonderful job to allow us who do not have time to participate that much a possibility to enjoy and share aspects of the game.

Secondly, you know what I think about interchanges in general, but I have to say... those are works of engineering art! I especially love how they snake around the rails and the rails weave through them.

Thirdly, that roundabout and tram station are going to be epic! &dance :sunny:

Thanks a lot! Really an honor to have a chance to help out with this site and I hope to be able to be more active with it :) And I'm tickled you like my interchanges given your feelings about them--though I think we share a lot of the same feelings on that, just with rather different conclusions. While I don't plan on returning to the previous region at present the content projects started there like the tram stuff are very much still intended to continue.

-Noah
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:22:05 AM by noahclem »
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

« Reply #1304 on: November 23, 2017, 04:47:52 PM »

Offline art128

• 一人ぼっち
  • CL: Chocolarte
« Reply #1305 on: November 24, 2017, 05:07:22 AM »
Interesting approach with the power plants along the river waterfalls. These interchanges are absolutely marvelous. I have no idea how you can come up with the designs of them and manage to create them so well in the game.

Also looking forward to the roundabout. :)

Thanks a lot man! I'm wanting to do something pretty similar with the power plant and waterfall again but not sure how or where--hopefully I can sneak it in somewhere anyway; the northwest section seems designed for that. Thanks for the kind words on the interchanges and roundabouts :)

-Noah
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:25:25 AM by noahclem »
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

« Reply #1305 on: November 24, 2017, 05:07:22 AM »

Offline Gugu3

« Reply #1306 on: November 24, 2017, 07:00:18 AM »
Oh my...this is just incredible! I have always loved how your transport system fits the surrounding environment...but this one is just insane and so complex too!!! Great work

Thanks a lot Guglielmo! Will try to do the same type of system again here ;)

-Noah
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:26:52 AM by noahclem »

« Reply #1306 on: November 24, 2017, 07:00:18 AM »

Offline Badsim

• Le Diable est dans les détails .
  • CL: Not that bad !!!   $%Grinno$%
« Reply #1307 on: November 24, 2017, 09:35:09 AM »
Hi Noah ,

Anyone would have to be blind or a completely stupid person to do not measure your involvement for our community and the game … well , at that degree of involvement , it becomes everything but a game . Unfortunately , not obvious to avoid that this « everything but a game » turns to an addiction , with its cycles of pleasures and frustrations … personally , as long as I have more pleasure than frustration , I can live with the awareness to have a deep addiction .  :)

BTW , I can see greatness everywhere in your pictures , whatever the subject matter you’re broaching . I’m particularly fond of what you did with Poseidon’s Mods … I feel the need to copy that ... urgently ! :thumbsup:

&apls &apls &apls

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

« Reply #1307 on: November 24, 2017, 09:35:09 AM »

Offline noahclem

« Reply #1308 on: July 09, 2018, 11:15:07 AM »
Thanks so much to everyone for the last warm response, especially those I've not yet thanked (for whom replies are now half a year overdue :D )! I hadn't realized quite how long it's been since I updated or how much I've actually worked on and not shared. I decided not long after the last update to scrap the region and worked for quite a while on yet another new airport. In both the new and old cases I hadn't actually created a new region but was just working on tiles I planned to later integrate into a real region. In both cases I'd originally planned to hand-terraform it to my plans but a while back I decided to use RL ones since the main point of starting the new region was to use fjords and I doubted my ability to do them very realistically. Not finding a map that had all I wanted I decided to stitch several together, thereby also allowing myself more unique terrain to build on. The process has been long and pain-staking, especially as my laptop's performance seems to have declined significantly and I was getting a ton of lag in GIMP with the huge images involved--I started with 24x24 large tiles to be able to see, compare, and integrate the regions involved, over 6000px square with lots of layers, including 2 for everything (grayscale topo ones and terraformer-colored ones) with file sizes upwards of 300MB. Finally, I've finished the first rough draft, which is the final of this sequence of progress shots:

(click)

I've now got it down to a "slim" 20x20 or 80x80km or 1600km^2. I believe there are now 10 separate maps included with at least one that should be familiar to some, albeit rearranged into three separate chunks with changes to elevation and orientation as well. Since fjords and other glacial geography were much of the goal everything's from high latitude and/or high altitude regions. I'm curious of any of the regional terrains are recognizable though they very well may not be since they've been chopped up, rotated, and sometimes scaled in all three dimensions.

The main city center is planned for the island just south of where the two northern fjords encounter a transverse wateraway. There's still a considerable amount of work to be done to get the map into relatively finished condition, mostly terraforming the numerous remaining rough edges where non-watery parts of maps meet. I also plan on extending those two northern fjords up to the northern border, extending the northeast river toward where those fjords end with a delta, and possibly adding more interesting stuff to the mountains like a very high massif west of where the western fjord meets the northern border and an additional volcano that's not isolated from other mountains. Before that though I think I'll start building. Getting a bit tired of pixel-pushing :D

I think I'll post an update fairly soon on the work on the "new" airport and any map progress. Hope you found this interesting :)

edited attempting clarity with area figures
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:54:40 PM by noahclem »

« Reply #1308 on: July 09, 2018, 11:15:07 AM »

Offline Alan_Waters

• Old man
  • Industrial forever!..
    • ВКонтакте
« Reply #1309 on: July 09, 2018, 11:32:42 AM »
It's grandiose!
I will not say that this is mine, because many mountains, and little space for cities, I like the more densely populated landscapes, but the work is done immensely.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
A lot of respect!  &apls &apls &apls

Thanks! It's indeed very difficult terrain for city building--maybe even worse than it looks :D But I'll be adding flatter area around the main city area I mentioned and smooth out that island as well, either manually or just by scaling elevation down in terraformer. There's also pretty flat spaces for smaller towns in the southeast, southwest, and northeast and I'll flatten other areas as needed--very sloped area is just too much of a pain to work with for more than a small part of development

-Noah
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:21:20 PM by noahclem »

« Reply #1309 on: July 09, 2018, 11:32:42 AM »

Offline Seaman

« Reply #1310 on: July 09, 2018, 01:06:17 PM »
Wow, what a plan. It's kind of a meta-project since the beautiness of the region will only be seen outside of SC4 by stiching?

I decided not long after the last update to scrap the region and worked for quite a while on yet another new airport.

[...]

I think I'll post an update fairly soon on the work on the "new" airport and any map progress. Hope you found this interesting :)

You have me on the edge of my chair, here!  :D

PS:
In case you need some help with the fjords, you can ask Slartibartfast. I think he has done tremendous work in Norway. He really loves their "lovely crinkly edges" and argues that they give a continent a lovely baroque feel...

Once I get the elevations between the different region segments to transition smoothly (what I'm calling stitching together) it should look pretty nice in the region view but the biggest advantage will be the quality and variety of different terrains involved. This project both reminded me of how many great maps there are out there and was, for me, unprecedented in that I actually put all the interesting regions into the game and peered around, finding lots of neat stuff I otherwise wouldn't have. I will definitely share the other developments sooner than later--only have an overview handy right now and would rather show some more detailed stuff at the same time I give away the whole plan and layout of that whole area :)

I hope Slartibartfast would be pleased  ;D  I'm a Douglas Adams fan and it also turns out that he's referenced in this map that is one of the regions I've used ;)

-Noah
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:00:52 AM by Seaman »

« Reply #1310 on: July 09, 2018, 01:06:17 PM »

Offline Gugu3

« Reply #1311 on: July 10, 2018, 02:08:09 AM »
Great to see you back with new content Noah! Looking forward to seeing where this goes... :thumbsup:

« Reply #1311 on: July 10, 2018, 02:08:09 AM »

Offline brick_mortimer

« Reply #1312 on: July 10, 2018, 03:43:14 PM »
Your new map looks impressive!
That's the kind of effort I'm not willing / able to make.
If it comes to terraforming I'm quite lazy. Either I go for a flat region, or I take a premade region and that's it  ;D

Btw, if you're honnoring Slartibartfast I suggest you make your region 42 x 42  $%Grinno$%

Looking forward to what you will do with it   :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:47:22 PM by brick_mortimer »
Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest
Me no coffee function without so good

« Reply #1312 on: July 10, 2018, 03:43:14 PM »

Offline Sunset_baby

« Reply #1313 on: July 13, 2018, 01:08:45 PM »
Hi Noah!

In your november update, I notice that you are using a custom el-rail texture mod (if only for terrain smoothing).
If I recall correctly that very similar to something Buddybud was working on long ago.

Is this mod back in the works again? Will it (hopefully) be a part of a future NAM update?
My Simtropolis profile; Yarahi

« Reply #1313 on: July 13, 2018, 01:08:45 PM »

If you experience visual glitches in our site, we strongly suggest you to use Firefox to browse the forums. Also a 1024*768 or higher resolution is highly recommended to view this site

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2011
SMFAds for Free Forums

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 92 queries.