• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

Very nice pond you have there Noah!I think the last shot with PTM and fall trees is the best one :thumbsup:

vortext

Use different terrain mods to go with the seasons . .  &idea

Quote from: RickD on October 23, 2012, 05:27:35 AM
So ... who is going to make a seasonal terrain mod? Any volunteers?  $%Grinno$%

Up to a certain degree it's actually possible to have the terrain change along with the seasons. Maybe we can talk Gobias into making one. $%Grinno$%

EDIT: kinda forgot to say these are very nice pictures Noah! And what I would like to know; did you or did you not add sunrays to the panorama? Either way, I'm looking forward to a proper update. :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Swordmaster

Nice pond! Also, very clever to sneak in the PTM specifically for autumn - winner! I'll try that, too.

Quote from: noahclem on October 23, 2012, 02:18:04 AM
Also thank you for mentioning the image size issue, it had completely escaped my notice. I suspect the culprit is my updated version of GIMP and I'll post a poll here asking for opinions on image size vs image quality.

Well, I didn't say you need to sacrifice image quality! I've tested your last image with 93% compression, and the difference as good as invisible. Don't try 92%, though, that's where it all starts going downhill - at least with my image editor.

Cheers
Willy

EDIT: I feel that fisherman can use some company, though - see attachment. ;)

rambuckel

The two guys in the woods ... that's a real "Noah"  $%Grinno$%... this is so unique for your MD these little scenes. I love them! Actually there's no boat on the pond which is quite uncommon for Siilijoki  ;D

Brilliant scenes ... I'm waiting for the next update  &apls
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

Jmouse

The pond is lovely, Noah, and it's an honor to find out Julie's photos were the inspiration for it! I'll tell her ASAP. I like the fall version the best, and I especially like the dead grass. We'll have some of that around our lake soon, so yours gives your scene an extra touch of authenticity in my eyes.

The second version of the pond scene has more detail. There's an added fisherman, a playground and some lilacs in the lower left corner. Are some of the trees different, too?

As always, I'm eager to see the next update, but I've learned to wait, knowing it will be ready when it's ready (I hope that isn't a copyrighted phrase), and it will be spectacular!

Take your time...
-Joan

bat

Great work on the pond and the picture with the train!!

Dantes

The autumn impressions are very impressive.  :satisfied: Fall is designed by you beautifully. A magnificent work of art. &apls &apls &apls

wallasey

I've missed a few updates, but it's been a joy to catch up on what you have posted! I really enjoyed the break from urban life and a sit by your pond, great to see a few sims doing the same!

noahclem

Happy Halloween everyone! Lots of "real" Siilijoki stuff coming soon but for today it's a Halloween special  ;D

Warning: spooky content. Just look at the pictures and avoid the text if you're easily frightened or offended.

In a remote part of Siilijoki an imposing chapel overlooks a half-forgotten cemetery
click to enlarge

As darkness and winter come the area takes on a more sinister look. The cemetery dates to shortly after the arrival of the first European settlers to the region. Archaeologists have discovered earlier remains on the site and it had sacred value to the aboriginals.
click to enlarge

In more recent times the cemetery fell out of use and the traditional beliefs of the Aboriginals are largely forgotten. The most common visitors are nature lovers, historians, and teenagers looking for a fright. The fear became all to real in the 1980's when a series of bodies were discovered in and around the grounds.
click to enlarge

Fogs frequently blanket the area and the surrounding woods can be a very frightening place. Besides malign spirits and serial killers visitors can worry about wolves, bears, and mountain lions; as well as treacherous tidal currents and quicksands.
click to enlarge

Wolves are common around here and can be heard howling at the moon from great distances. They are normally scared of humans. In the dark of winter with food scarce and starvation looming that can change, however. Keep your children close.

See you next time....

Very beautiful pond.  &apls Interesting to see how terrain mods work better in certain seasons than others.

Thanks Raphael! A seasonal terrain mod sure would be nice. For now I don't mind switching them myself though  ;D

Quote from: art128 on October 23, 2012, 05:42:49 AM
A fairly nice pond there, Noah!
Thanks Arthur!

Quote from: Gugu3 on October 23, 2012, 10:19:46 AM
Very nice pond you have there Noah!I think the last shot with PTM and fall trees is the best one :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot! That's my favorite too  :thumbsup:

Quote from: vortext on October 23, 2012, 10:40:13 AM
Use different terrain mods to go with the seasons . .  &idea

Up to a certain degree it's actually possible to have the terrain change along with the seasons. Maybe we can talk Gobias into making one. $%Grinno$%

EDIT: kinda forgot to say these are very nice pictures Noah! And what I would like to know; did you or did you not add sunrays to the panorama? Either way, I'm looking forward to a proper update. :thumbsup:
Thanks Erik! We'll have to have a chat with Gobias. Glad you liked the pictures and yes, I did add those sunrays. I think I used the supernova effect in GIMP and set it above the screen and with a fall-ish color  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Swordmaster on October 23, 2012, 11:21:39 AM
Nice pond! Also, very clever to sneak in the PTM specifically for autumn - winner! I'll try that, too.

Quote from: noahclem on October 23, 2012, 02:18:04 AM
Also thank you for mentioning the image size issue, it had completely escaped my notice. I suspect the culprit is my updated version of GIMP and I'll post a poll here asking for opinions on image size vs image quality.

Well, I didn't say you need to sacrifice image quality! I've tested your last image with 93% compression, and the difference as good as invisible. Don't try 92%, though, that's where it all starts going downhill - at least with my image editor.

Cheers
Willy

EDIT: I feel that fisherman can use some company, though - see attachment. ;)
Thanks Willy! I'm a big fan of the PTM in fall. I did try your suggested compression, let me know what you think. And thanks so much for the dogs! I tried to use them here as wolves but I'm not sure the effect was successful  ::)

Quote from: rambuckel on October 23, 2012, 01:11:39 PM
The two guys in the woods ... that's a real "Noah"  $%Grinno$%... this is so unique for your MD these little scenes. I love them! Actually there's no boat on the pond which is quite uncommon for Siilijoki  ;D

Brilliant scenes ... I'm waiting for the next update  &apls
Thanks Theresa! That kind of little scene is really fun for me to make. This pond is a but small for boats but you can be sure that some are very nearby  ;) 

Quote from: Jmouse on October 23, 2012, 03:29:49 PM
The pond is lovely, Noah, and it's an honor to find out Julie's photos were the inspiration for it! I'll tell her ASAP. I like the fall version the best, and I especially like the dead grass. We'll have some of that around our lake soon, so yours gives your scene an extra touch of authenticity in my eyes.

The second version of the pond scene has more detail. There's an added fisherman, a playground and some lilacs in the lower left corner. Are some of the trees different, too?

As always, I'm eager to see the next update, but I've learned to wait, knowing it will be ready when it's ready (I hope that isn't a copyrighted phrase), and it will be spectacular!

Take your time...
-Joan

Thanks a lot Joan! I expanded the scope of the second picture a little to add something new besides the terrain mod and indeed, I switched a couple cherry trees to other VIP ones because they lack fall colors. More on that playground area soon--I'm making a fairly large area here into park which should be a hybrid of lots and MMPs....

Your patience for the next full update will pay off soon  :)

Quote from: bat on October 28, 2012, 05:52:02 AM
Great work on the pond and the picture with the train!!
Thanks bat! Nice to see you back here  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Dantes on October 28, 2012, 09:37:29 AM
The autumn impressions are very impressive.  :satisfied: Fall is designed by you beautifully. A magnificent work of art. &apls &apls &apls
Thank you very much! Fall is a nice time of year for SimCity!

Quote from: wallasey on October 28, 2012, 05:25:42 PM
I've missed a few updates, but it's been a joy to catch up on what you have posted! I really enjoyed the break from urban life and a sit by your pond, great to see a few sims doing the same!
Thanks and enjoy all the time by the pond you like! It's a pleasure to have you back here  :thumbsup:

Gugu3

Nice update Noah!!!! :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to the next update!!!!love the fog effect! :-\

art128

2spooky4me!

Really frightening update, Noah! Love the details put into the scenes. I can already hear the werewolf here... \( ゚ Д゚)/
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Swordmaster

Yeah, should have seen this coming. . . great special!

Are those Simcoug's MMP graveyards? In that case, I quickly need to get my hands on them, too. And the trees, the lighting, the wolves (;D). . . as we are wont, only the best here in Siilijoki!

Cheers
Willy

wallasey

What a transformation! Serene lake to scary swamp!

I think you chose the right chapel for the setting...imposing but not colossal! Might have played around with Frogface's Gothic Tower but I doubt it would have made the same impact as this.

Reminded me of a church by mine, it's been derelict for at least a decade which is sad.

threestooges

Nicely done Noah. I was pondering a Halloween update, but couldn't quite figure something out to fit the bill. That said, this gave me an idea. Perhaps I can have something up tonight. I like the visual effects on the pictures here.
-Matt

Terring7

You should make a video for this update, with spooky music and sounds. And yes, the texts themselves are already creepy ()lurker()
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Jmouse

My, my, my, Noah, you certainly know how to celebrate "fright night!" These are truly haunting photos you've posted – photos of a place I'm glad I'm nowhere near at the moment.

I'm not sure what I admire the most about your work. You seemingly have the ability to reach up and grab great ideas out of thin air, then you have the talent and expertise to carry them out to perfection. I'm quite sure it isn't as easy as you make it look, but I'm glad you have the patience and talent to do it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with Siilijoki in the near future...
-Joan

nbvc

Great work with fantastic spooky atmosphere. :thumbsup:

rambuckel

Being busy I nearly missed this brilliant update .... That's a really spooky and mystik story ... As Joan I'm glad not to be around there. Otherwise I'd be stared stiff ...

Thanks for sharing Noah!

Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

Schulmanator

See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

rooker1

I had seen this update on my cell phone yesterday, but I knew it deserved being seen on my computer, full size and I was completely right.  This might be one of my favourite updates from you.  Great work indeed, I loved it, both the story and the pics.

Robin
Call me Robin, please.