• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bladeberkman

Hey, on page 29 of your MD I noticed your use of buddybud's beta underpasses. I was wondering how you found them. After a lot of hunting I was able to track them down in the forums today, but the links no longer work. It looks like those links have not worked for several years. Is there some way of getting a hold of them? Thanks for your response!

-Blade

benedict

I can't give you any advice, but I can tell you that your MD is number one on BTT this week.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

noahclem

Thanks for all the comments! &bis&

You are all very much appreciated!

Also, thank you for your responses on the poll. I won't be buying a boat anytime soon (winter's around the corner) but it sounds nice to have one again. BTW, I allowed two answers on the poll so you could answer that joke and still give a real response  :D

Here's the laptop I got. It's got the SSD and the reviews seemed better than the ASUS ones. Let's hope it brings some great SimCity to the table!

For today I just have one picture featuring another crazy project I'm trying to implement. I'll post a real update of all the Siilijoki Proper stuff I've been doing before I leave for vacation in a week  :thumbsup:

Quote from: nbvc on August 09, 2012, 12:20:53 AM
Great work. The night overview of the city loks fantastic.

For your new laptop, I think for SimCity 4 with many plugins a fast hard disk (maybe SSD) and a fast CPU is

important many cores don't help much, for the new SimCity (2013?) it may be different with many cores. 
Thanks a lot! I appreciate the advice on the laptop and I followed it. I'm not sure if I'll be buying SC2013 yet--

most of the news sounds bad but there is some good stuff there too. In any case I think SC4 will be the main game I

play.

Quote from: RickD on August 09, 2012, 03:10:15 AM
Buy one with a SSD! The performance increase, not only in Sim City, is incredible. I will never use regular Hard

Drives as system / program disk again.

Edit:
Sorry, forgot to comment on the update.  ::) I like the map and the complex network. And the cruise ship looks

great there with the skyscrapers.
SSD, check! Glad you liked the way the roads run and the zoomed out night shot!

Quote from: Girafe on August 09, 2012, 11:46:57 AM
The night shop is superb  ;)
Thanks Antoine!

Quote from: art128 on August 09, 2012, 12:11:54 PM
Superb update Noah! Lovely pictures. The night shot is impressive.
As for the laptop, as nbvc and Raphael said try to find one with a SSD. More RAM isn't really important (8gb is far

enough even for SC4) But a good processor (I7) with an high frequency is a top. Also. Buy that boat!
Thanks Arthur! I think the machine I bought should do all the things you suggested. I'll try to get the boat too

but the water will be frozen before I could use it this year anyway  ::)

Quote from: Seattisk on August 09, 2012, 04:07:51 PM
OMG!!! YOUR MD IS AWESOME!!!!   :D  &hlp

I love your MD so much

Where do you get this region?  &apls

Thanks!

Thanks so much and welcome to Siilijoki  :party:  You can find my region map

here. Please come back again ;)

Quote from: wallasey on August 10, 2012, 04:21:32 AM
Fraid I know nothing about computers/ laptops but I am sure you will make a wise decision!

I think your map is fantastic, it will be interesting (when the time comes) to see how this integrates into your

suburbs, no matter how big or small they may be.

The split in your OWR4 looks interesting, might have to give that a play around myself! The building to the right

with the interesting artwork works well in that area too!

As always, everything gels together! Well done! 

Thanks alot and glad to see you back here! Glad you liked the map. It might be the beginning of the end for vector

-graphic-based maps like that as I'm considering changing to a google maps style setup that would be more

interactive.

The question of the suburbs is a good one. I've done a lot of work on a few of the surrounding tiles but it's

mostly built up areas without many single family homes. I'm really wanting to do some of that though so hopefully

you get a chance to view it before long!

Again, thanks!

Quote from: jmyers2043 on August 10, 2012, 04:32:02 AM
well, My computer will be 10 years old this December. I've had to replace the hard drive, the video card, and also

added some memory few years back. It is an Alienware desktop and was the best that money could buy at the time.

That is my suggestion, don't cheap out.

Re: the poll ...  :D   My heart goes out to you. I don't think you should keep a computer with no battery, graphics

card, and a half-broken soundcard

- Jim

Thanks for the advice and welcome to Siilijoki! I agree with your philosophy and have done my best to follow it

given my available resources. I couldn't afford an alienware (heard they're not as good as they used to be when

they were an independent company anyway) and ultimately can't afford top of the line--however this is the most

"premium" machine I've ever bought and if the old ones could make it 5 years I'd hope this can do even better. And

thanks for the sympathy on my current machine  :D  I make it sound bad but I'm typing and SC4ing from it now so it

could be worse  ;)

Quote from: Kergelen on August 11, 2012, 01:42:29 PM
wow Noah!

I missed some of updates here. Your night shots impressive me a lot. I love how you compose each mosaic.

The networks are fantastic, the work with the water game canals really interesting and I love how you combine the

diferent style of the buildings
to create a city with a very definite style and highly consistent. &apls &apls &apls

PD: I can't give your advice about laptops.
Thanks Kergelen! Glad you liked everything!

Quote from: Schulmanator on August 12, 2012, 10:37:32 AM
You've got great stuff here! I wish I was wiser in the world of laptops and such. But, if I was to give you advice,

I would day to get something which looks to be the most upwardly upgradeable in the future. Aim for versatility!
Good advice! Thanks a lot Schulmanator and nice to see you here again!

Quote from: Jmouse on August 13, 2012, 04:43:10 PM
You've outdone yourself again, Noah. The night shot is brilliant, and that

last photo is – mmm – very elegant in its own way. Once again, your shoreline-bridge-water combo is excellent.

Good luck finding a quality computer AND good service after the sale. It's difficult to find either one

these days, much less both in the same package.

-Joan

Thanks a lot Joan! The last picture is definitely my favorite of the update so I'm glad you liked it. Glad you

enjoyed my maxis water playing and thanks for the tip on after-point-of-sale service  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Flatron on August 14, 2012, 12:54:06 AM
Nice pictures! :thumbsup:
For the computer stuff, I'd suggest you to go to your local electronic store and ask for advice. After that you can

still go home and buy the suggested laptop at Amazon ;D(or you do sth. good for the local economy and buy it at the

shop :))
Thanks! I'd love to support the local shop but computers are much, much more expensive in Finland than in American

and it seems like so few people by high-powered laptops that no stores even sell them. I'd love to buy it local

because then the keyboard would have the letters I need for advertising and communicating here but a keyboard isn't

worth 500 euros to me  $%Grinno$%

Quote from: weixc812 on August 15, 2012, 06:50:51 PM
I love the planning, especially the network  :thumbsup:
Your CBD is really large and prosper, Noah  &apls
Thank you very much! It's a pleasure to have you visit  :)

Quote from: Gugu3 on August 18, 2012, 01:12:09 PM
Very nice Noah!always nice planning of your cities! &apls
Thank you much! I always enjoy you visiting  :thumbsup:

Quote from: bladeberkman on August 19, 2012, 10:35:40 PM
Hey, on page 29 of your MD I noticed your use of buddybud's beta underpasses. I was wondering how you found them.

After a lot of hunting I was able to track them down in the forums today, but the links no longer work. It looks

like those links have not worked for several years. Is there some way of getting a hold of them? Thanks for your

response!

-Blade
Thanks for the reply  :thumbsup:  Give me a bit to try to track those down for you and then I'll send you a PM with

whatever I find out. Happy SimCity-ing  ;D

Quote from: benedict on August 20, 2012, 05:48:38 AM
I can't give you any advice, but I can tell you that your MD is number one on BTT this week.
Yay  &dance  Thanks again for all your work Ben  :thumbsup:

bladeberkman

Fantastic! :) I'll be looking forward to your PM. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

-Blade

Dantes

A new Teaser  :) The canal is so great work, thats cool  :thumbsup:

art128

Very nice teaser, Noah ! Everything looks great, from the tramway to the riverside. But I'm not sure about the street ending on two benches.  $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Swordmaster

Good luck with the new toy  ;)

I think the dead-end street is fine. We have many of those streets here that just end without warning.

Cheers,
Willy

Sciurus

That's wonderful... as I saw them IRL ::) &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Yan077

What a wonderful picture Noah !  &apls

Just one thing : I think the sea-texture is not really appropriated in a city  ;)

Flatron

Now that's very nice!
Greetings from caldaro sulla strada del vino/ Kaltern an der Weinstrasse :-)

Nanami

That's a nice picture! good work!

noahclem

Thanks for getting Siilijoki to "Best Sellers and a half" with 750 comments  &dance

Enough of the teasing, it's time for a real update! This will be the last one before my trip to America for the next three weeks and the last one before I switch over to the new laptop--hopefully everything runs smooth with Windows 7.

Today's feature is a continuation of my work with Central Siilijoki. There's a few new and exciting things so I hope you'll enjoy this one  :thumbsup:

First, let's have a look at an updated map of the area. Some street labels have also been added, including some rewards for the reindeer friend competition from last February--check to see if you're on the map!

Click for full size

The first regional census

This area of mixed-use highrises features a very central location and excellent transit links to all areas of the region. Motorway tunnels run below and 9th St runs down the center.

This area lies nearby, a couple blocks to the south and east

The same area at night

A mosaic from the area between the last two shown:

The next mosaic features follows Sherrouse Ave west and south from it's bridge over the park creek and continues to the Santtujoki River

The rest of the pictures are from the newest areas further west. The idea is a broad Champs Elysee type boulevard. I did a bit of crude lotting to fill the median tramway with as many decorative trees as I could.

More of the massive 7th Ave

Continued

Thanks for viewing and I hope you liked it! Please let me know what you think below!

Quote from: bladeberkman on August 21, 2012, 03:37:26 PM
Fantastic! :) I'll be looking forward to your PM. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

-Blade
Thanks again! Still trying to track it down but we'll get it figured out for you  :thumbsup:  Those files are really useful!

Quote from: Dantes on August 22, 2012, 01:29:25 AM
A new Teaser  :) The canal is so great work, thats cool  :thumbsup:
Thanks Dantes-san  ;D

Quote from: art128 on August 22, 2012, 02:30:11 AM
Very nice teaser, Noah ! Everything looks great, from the tramway to the riverside. But I'm not sure about the street ending on two benches.  $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%
Thanks Arthur! I actually liked the street that way--now they can drive ice cream stands, portable toilets, tourist kiosks, and all kinds of other exciting things up to the pavement along the water  :P

Quote from: Swordmaster on August 22, 2012, 08:53:08 AM
Good luck with the new toy  ;)

I think the dead-end street is fine. We have many of those streets here that just end without warning.

Cheers,
Willy
Thanks Willy and glad you liked the street design  :thumbsup:  See reply above for details on my logic  :)

Quote from: Sciurus on August 23, 2012, 01:34:59 AM
That's wonderful... as I saw them IRL ::) &apls

Guillaume :thumbsup:
Thanks Guillaume! Glad you liked them so much  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Yan077 on August 23, 2012, 02:01:55 AM
What a wonderful picture Noah !  &apls

Just one thing : I think the sea-texture is not really appropriated in a city  ;)
Thanks Yan! I keep experimenting with the water textures trying to find the best. That's the nice things about using the game water instead of canals--I can always change it depending on the area it's in  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Flatron on August 23, 2012, 02:35:41 AM
Now that's very nice!
Greetings from caldaro sulla strada del vino/ Kaltern an der Weinstrasse :-)
Thanks!! Have a good time one the weinstrasse :party:

Quote from: 976 on August 24, 2012, 08:43:25 AM
That's a nice picture! good work!
Thanks you very much and nice to see you here again  :thumbsup:

noahclem

WARNING: The last two pictures and their text aren't showing due to an error I haven't figured out yet. Until this is resolved I'm posting them here. This post will be deleted once the problem is gone so I'm not double-posting and padding my MD post count  :thumbsup:

A bonus panorama of the new Central Station area!

Click for full size!

Swordmaster

A great update that leaves me with a couple of remarks and questions.

- 7th Avenue between 6th and 8th Street? Quite unique I'm sure, but do all north-south streets have names then?
- For big numbers, use a thousands separator (comma or space) - easier on the eyes.
- The parks and greenery is awesome, as usual, as is the riverside.
- How did you get the tiles next to the wide curve avenues? And the trees in the median? Or is that a lot?
- "Crude lotting"? It's perfect  :thumbsup:
- That tram station next to the Central station is simply perfect.

Cheers
Willy

Schulmanator

Very nice! A great mix of attractive settings. And I love your water mod. What is it? It rocks!
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

bat

Nice work on the updates in this month!! Also nice teasers. :)

Haljackey

Fantastic work Noahclem!

Gugu3

Excellent Noah!!!Nice use of mass transport and the train station looks great! &apls

Girafe

Looks really good Noah, you could find the maples as props in the last maples'pack if i's needed (it's easier for your use ^^)

Anyway keep teasing us with beautiful pics.
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

vortext

Great update  &apls &apls

Love your choice of BATs! The different styles of architecture go together surprisingly well and make for one vibrant urban landscape. The two mosaics in the middle are imho the best, the way you handle diagonals is pretty awesome.

The station area is lovely as well, though I do wonder how many stoplights an intersection really needs?! ;)

Finally as a general remark I would suggest using a maxis tree replacement mod, if only to get rid of those palm trees, visible in the latest teaser pic. Other than that I'd say; keep it up!   :thumbsup:

Oh and;
Quote from: noahclem on August 25, 2012, 02:15:27 PM
This post will be deleted once the problem is gone so I'm not double-posting and padding my MD post count
Yeah right, you're not fooling anyone Noah :P   $%Grinno$%[/siz
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana