• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

MY TUTORIALS:

How to build a bridge exactly the length you want, not one tile longer

How to modify the transparency of your water

FREQUENTLY REQUESTED LINKS SECTION--Under construction

Buddybud's Underpasses

Kazuki's Lot Exchange:  http://klex.blog85.fc2.com/
Underbridge lots (subway conversion)
RBP set (vertical walls)
Street tree (elm) and pavement set (allows res development 1 tile away from road with trick)

STEX LINKS:

BRF Slope Mod - My usual slope mod. I have modified mine to fit Rivit's tunnel mod (lower road and OWR tunnel portals) and sometimes make alterations but this is my long-time stand-by mod. Does not include an RHW slope mod.
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/18043-brf-tunnel-and-slope-mod/

Rivit's Tunnel Mod adds new tunnel models that fit better into the slopes than others. An optional component changes tunnel height to be more realistic.

Uniform Street Lighting Mod by Kodlovag - Makes street lights brighter and light a larger area (not one small cone). Designed for use with a dark night mod. http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/25925-uniform-street-lighting-mod/

GTK onslope FLUPs gateway for Tram-in-Avenue by gtaki - lot-based FLUP piece with a minimum height of 10m http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/25587-gtk-onslope-flups-gateway-for-tram-in-avenue/

SimFox Day 'n' Nite Modd - provides a darker nite and compatibility with many of the best nightlit BATs and the USL http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/23089-simfox-day-n-nite-modd/

Hut With Snow by nbvc

TERRAIN, WATER, BEACH & ROCK MODS

QuantumEagle's Antarctic Terrain Mod - Great for varied snowy textures, you're region need not be in Antarctica for it to look great in the winter with this one!

Drunken Water Mods
Drunken Water Mods 2

Marsh's White Sands Beach Mod - An excellent, HD beach mod with a tropical feel.

Marsh's Riverside Beach Mod - An excellent, HD beach mod

SEA WALLS & OTHER WALLS

JENXPARIS Seine River Banks - Beautiful new vertical sea walls, perfect for old-world cities and/or high riverbanks- http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2676

MMPS

RFR Plopwater
RFR Deer and Boars
VIP Rural Pac
VIP RuralPack Expansion 1
VIP Aubrac Wall MMP
VIP Aescolus Tree
VIP Fagus Tree
Namspopof People MMPs
Namspopof Playground MMPs
Murink Bicycles w MMPs
SimCoug Cemetery

aaronclem

Nice job bro, if Siilijoki were real I would want to live there!  Overall I'm incredibly impressed, but I'll just pick out my favorites:
-transportation seems like a masterful blend of planning and organic development.  Everything flows nicely, I like the wide loops you use in highways.  Use of non-orthogonal streets is done very well.
-parks/greenery are integrated into the city flawlessly.  to me, the parks are the most attractive part of the city.  I like how there are trees everywhere, including inside onramp loops!

Overall the city is very aesthetically pleasing and your screenshots are amazing! I just hope I get enough time to start making cities like this.

Congrats on a great city! &hlp

Tomas Neto

Awesome pics and mosaics!!! Fantastic update Noah!!!

Ol.S / Benoit

This upadate is amazing ! And the overview shows well the massive and perfect work on this city !
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

Skimbo

The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here

vinlabsc3k

Quote14.8

Noah, the road under the bridge is eyecandy or an el-road over road with an overhanging lot?
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

RickD

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Exla357

But aren't NAM associates just the General Public who does transit modding?  :D
Great updates and teasing here, my only critique is the repetition of that purple skyscraper in the first pic. However, that's about the only thing. The v5-spec RHW fits in very well with everything else and your interchanges are fantastic. Your highway system reminds me of US 101 in Northern California. It is kinda semi expressway; full sized high speed interchanges yet stoplights withing 1 mile of each other! It is a unique way of laying out highway and I think it is very efficient.

Keep it up!

-Alex  ;)

wallasey

Your trams and W2Ws go together so well! I love the cohesion between buildings, open space and transport networks in this update.

Nanami

noahclem

SC4D is back! &hlp

I hope you're all enjoying your summer (Aussies and other Southerners excepted)--we've actually had some pretty hot weather up in the far north, though I've been too busy with the influx of summer tourists to enjoy it as much as I'd like. I plan on having a full update together in the next day or two but for now I'll share a few recent pictures and take the time to individually thank those who've commented on the last update.

First, another night shot from Igelstadt

Next, some RHW from neighboring Pohjanmaa municipality. First the closest junction to central Siilijoki:

The concept here was to create as compact an interchange as possible using realistic acceleration/deceleration distances, curves, and general scale. The interchange dates to February but the pics are new. Everything is v4.2 except the textures. I'll likely be making changes to this area before too long, probably widening it by 1 lane per direction and doing some other minor realigning.

Relatively nondescript, the concept here is the AVE-6 at the center of the interchange, which was a bit tricky to maintain the overrides for. And of course, as always, I've attempted realistic slopes, scale, merging lanes, etc. The motorway here is going to be realigned soon and the entire junction here removed but I thought it was nice enough to post a picture of before it's gone. Also all v4.2 besides v5 textures.

Quote from: cubby420 on June 13, 2011, 07:05:01 PM
Very nice update Noah! I like the overview shot cause it let's us see where you are going next and what you've got planned ;)
Thanks Andrew, glad you liked it! I think I might be including more of those in the future.

Quote from: sumwonyuno on June 13, 2011, 09:14:07 PM
Amazing night shots of the city!   :)
Thanks, glad you liked the night shots!

Quote from: bat on June 14, 2011, 10:39:28 AM
The overview of Igelstadt's core is looking beautiful!
Also great mosaics and night shots!!!
Superb work on the second part of the 6-month special... :thumbsup:
Looking forward to the next update.
Thanks a lot bat! Glad you liked everything and thanks for the enthusiastic reply.

Quote from: peter007 on June 14, 2011, 12:11:42 PM
Ooh-la-la

I wanna see it finished
It's so beautiful.

-Ernst
Thanks a lot Ernst! The area should be done quite soon  :thumbsup:

Quote from: kwakelaar on June 14, 2011, 12:44:44 PM
These are some really beautiful images, especially the nightviews. In the overview I could not have thought you would be able to take that many good looking shots without seeing the parts that have not been finished yet. Very well done :thumbsup:
Thank you very much! Those mosaics definitely go all the way to the edge of the finished area--and taking pictures at close zoom helps too of course  ;D

Quote from: aaronclem on June 14, 2011, 03:37:18 PM
Nice job bro, if Siilijoki were real I would want to live there!  Overall I'm incredibly impressed, but I'll just pick out my favorites:
-transportation seems like a masterful blend of planning and organic development.  Everything flows nicely, I like the wide loops you use in highways.  Use of non-orthogonal streets is done very well.
-parks/greenery are integrated into the city flawlessly.  to me, the parks are the most attractive part of the city.  I like how there are trees everywhere, including inside onramp loops!

Overall the city is very aesthetically pleasing and your screenshots are amazing! I just hope I get enough time to start making cities like this.

Congrats on a great city! &hlp
Thanks a ton bro, glad you took the time to register and comment on Siilijoki! Hopefully you find the time to start up an MD around here too someday! Really nice to here your great compliments of Igelstadt/Siilijoki!

Quote from: Tomas Neto on June 14, 2011, 04:53:16 PM
Awesome pics and mosaics!!! Fantastic update Noah!!!
Thanks a lot Tomas, glad you liked it!

Quote from: Ol.S / Benoit on June 15, 2011, 09:42:20 AM
This upadate is amazing ! And the overview shows well the massive and perfect work on this city !
I really appreciate the kind words, thanks so much!

Quote from: Skimbo on June 15, 2011, 02:38:41 PM
What a series of nightpics! Good work!
Thanks a lot Skimbo! Glad you liked the night pics.

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on June 19, 2011, 03:22:07 PM
Noah, the road under the bridge is eyecandy or an el-road over road with an overhanging lot?
I used one of kazuki's underbridge lots--they convert road/avenue/etc traffic to subway to pass under the bridge and use an overhanging prop to make it look right visually. You can find them here: http://klex.blog85.fc2.com/

Quote from: RickD on June 20, 2011, 08:48:03 AM
Great updates - great teasing.  ;)
Thanks RickD! Hope I'm not teasing too much  :)

Quote from: Exla357 on June 20, 2011, 11:45:53 AM
But aren't NAM associates just the General Public who does transit modding?  :D
Great updates and teasing here, my only critique is the repetition of that purple skyscraper in the first pic. However, that's about the only thing. The v5-spec RHW fits in very well with everything else and your interchanges are fantastic. Your highway system reminds me of US 101 in Northern California. It is kinda semi expressway; full sized high speed interchanges yet stoplights withing 1 mile of each other! It is a unique way of laying out highway and I think it is very efficient.

Keep it up!

-Alex  ;)
Thanks Alex! I agree about that skyscraper getting repetative--a wonderful bat but perhaps better in moderation. I'm glad you liked the highway layout--the main one I plan to maintain as a fully limited access motorway but the crossroad will be more like what you're describing. It's planned to be a kind of semi-motorway inner beltway for the Siilijoki region.

Quote from: wallasey on June 20, 2011, 11:33:15 PM
Your trams and W2Ws go together so well! I love the cohesion between buildings, open space and transport networks in this update.
Thanks for the great praise, I really appreciate it! These tram & W2W areas take a bit of work to put together (to say the least) but it's really satisfying when you get to the point where you're happy with your work.

Quote from: 976 on June 21, 2011, 01:28:58 PM
Very nice update and teaser!  :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot 976!

sumwonyuno

The roadways look great!  Though in 14.11 and 14.12, that pillar in the middle of the road looks dangerous.   $%Grinno$%

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

io_bg

Nice update! I really like your RHWs.
sumwonyuno, you've a sharp eye :P I didn't notice that until I read your comment ;D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

RickD

Nice update. By the way, I like the town's name. Igelstadt. It always makes me smile. I guess I am easily amused.  :D
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

wallasey

That compact interchange is amazing!! What gave you the inspiration to lay it out like that? It most certainly works!

What is also good is that you haven't been tempted to go over the top with high mast lighting, which you can see sometimes.

vinlabsc3k

As ever ur mastery to place lots and trasportation is amazing, noahclem. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Plz, I'd know the link for the tram-in-avenue on-slope FLUP. ;)

Thnx.
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Reikhardt

As ever Noah, I bow down to your transport work  :thumbsup:  &apls  &apls

Jmouse

Hello again, Noah! I haven't had time to study all the wonderful updates I've missed, but I'm working on it. You've done some remarkable things with transportation elements, and from my point of view, they're certainly worth studying.

See you soon...
Joan

Exla357

Great job here, Noah. I actually managed to post something with the new forums...I think I still like the old ones better, though.

I have to agree that the FLEXFLY pillar in the middle of the lane could be a slight traffic hazard...

-Alex  :thumbsup:

Tomas Neto

Wow, Noah... amazing system road!!!  Awesome update again!!!   &apls &apls