• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ferndale: A Real Life Recreation

Started by Jayster, August 07, 2010, 10:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayster

Sorry for being so late, it's been extremely hot here and our house doesn't have air conditioning so the only time I am able to play Sim City is really late at night when it is cold. The weather will be cooling down here soon thanks goodness.

Anyways, here's a little preview of some stuff the next update will hold:

This is the before picture of this area, this is I-7 where it will cross the Westbrook River. On the south (right) side of the river a little ways down is where I-14 runs into I-7.

And here is the semi-completed picture. I think it turned out quite nicely. It still needs a little more color but besides that, I think it's pretty good. Tell me what you think. Also, if there is anything you'd like to see changed about it, please don't hesitate to comment!  :thumbsup:

Replies will be addressed during the next update.

Thanks for your continued support!

See you all Thursday.

Jayster

Igor

First of all, your last update was wonderful, Jayster! The town is extremely realistic, and all those interchanges surrounded by green make it eye-pleasant. Keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:

And about the last image: It looks quite good. I just hope you'll add some cars to the final result. :)

The great region of Almia, coming soon to SC4D!

Battlecat

Looks fantastic.  Great job with the plopable water and detailing.

RickD

Overall the river and bridge is very well done. I think the grey sand texture on the lower half stands out too much. You did a better job of blending it in on the upper half.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

ecoba

Wow ! I am sorry I haven't seen this before ! Your MD really is stunning, I like it a lot ! :)

Hope to see some more work soon !

Ethan

Jayster

I decided to go ahead and get my update out today instead of tomorrow because tomorrow I will be going to the county fair from 10 AM to 10 PM and I will be too tired to get out an update.

Replies:

io_bg: Thank you very much! I find using the RHW much easier after version 4.0 released.
travismking: Thank you!
Terring7: Thank you as well!
Tomas Neto: Thanks, hope this one is just as good!
nedalezz: Thanks, and refer to my most recent post in your MD  :thumbsup:
RickD: Thanks, I really enjoy using the RHW. I tried blending the gravel a bit more, to me it sort of looks the same though.
rooker1: Thank you!
Battlecat: Thank you, making suburbs is one of my most favorite things to make, I think they are the easiest. Hope my river looks good  :thumbsup:
Igor: Thanks, in this update, my spur from I-14 has a lot of heavy traffic and I managed to get a few pictures of that!
ecoba: Well thanks for stopping by, and thanks!

And with that begins Update 3!

In this weeks update, I will be taking you through the town of Westmister along the Westbrook River. Westmister is a small town of about 3,000 people. It has just over 3,500 Commercial jobs. Westmister is also home to a fairly small regional airport.

This is the future site of Westmister. It is located between the Westbrook River, I-14, I-7 and Auxiliary I-614.

Downtown Westmister. The highschool is located towards the bottom right.

This is the western side of Westmister.

Western side during fall.

This is the beginning of Westmister International Airport. This is the only runway, it is very small and can only serve up to a mid-sized 737.

Completed runway.

This was the original design for the terminal but the engineers decided it was too big.

This is a few months after completion of the terminal. It was shortened to only having 4 gates, Gates A1, A2, A3, and A4. It also has four walk-out gates, Gates B1, and B2 (on the left) and gates B3, and B4 (on the right [not pictured]). This is from construction of the air traffic control tower.

This is the private holding area. This is where people from Westmister and surrounding cities can keep airplanes.

I-614 breaks off to the north just before the city of Westmister, many people use it to commute into Sandy Beach, and many people from Sandy Beach commute to Westmister.

This is the exit on I-614 just after breaking off from I-14.

Here is an overview of the completed terminal, there is not an air traffic control tower yet because the city has run out of funds, they have set aside a small bit from next years budget to work with.

This is the east side of Westmister.

I-14 and I-7 intersect southeast of Westmister in a cloverleaf. Traffic isn't that bad here yet.

Overview of the airport facing south.

Some detail of Westmister's heavily wooded neighborhoods.

More detail.

This is the one exit for Westmister along I-14.

Runway facing west.

Finished private plane area.

Detail of completed terminal.

Runway facing east.

And that is it for this update. I hope you enjoyed it! I'm not completely sure if I will be able to get an update out next week because I have band camp for 11 hours a day starting Monday at 9 AM. If I do manage to get an update out, it will be small.

Once again, comments and suggestions are welcome!  :thumbsup:

Jayster

kodlovag

I like your suburbs and the small airport. Everything is so green.
I think the RHW is still not good enough to make a really good looking compact cloverleaf interchange. Your partial Y is much better.
Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

nedalezz

I think the airport is a perfect size for the country of Tepoto :) It reminds me alot of Cedar International Airport!

Question: The parking lots you used at the airport, where can I find them?

Battlecat

The river has turned out great indeed as has everything else here.  Nice to see you putting the shoreline textures to such good use!  The airport came together nicely as well!  I like how you used the RRP textures to fill in the area around the runways.  Looking forward to more. 

Jayster

Well after a long week at band camp and lots of sunburn, here is an update. Sorry it's a day late.

Replies:

kodlovag: Thanks, I honestly think that that cloverleaf I made is the best RHW Interchange I've ever made.  ;D
nedalezz: Thanks! I enjoyed making it besides the fact that my computer kept acting up that date and quiting Simcity after about 30 mins of playing and not saving.  &mmm It doesn't usually do that and lucky it has gone back to about every 4 hours.
Battlecat: Thanks for the kind words, I hope this update is just as good!

And with that begins Update 4.

In this update I will be taking you through the development of a small rural area near the Westbrook River.

This is the area we will be looking at today. I have already done a bit of detailing above it. I have also turned on the grid just for reference. I have the areas marked out for the two bridges I'll need to make, first is a small RHW-2 bridge. The second is a RHW-6C bridge. Unfortunately, 6C bridges to not exist yet so I split it into two small RHW-4 bridges. I started by raising the terrain 15M in the center of the river, and I brought it out to the banks. Then I did some other minor stuff and built the bridges.

Here's a look at the partially completed RHW-4 bridges.

Here is a picture showing some of the detail of the two bridges. It's not a close shot, for that I apologize.

Here, all I've done is use the Marsh stuff from the RRP set to make a muddy river bank. I've also put some gravel above the marsh stuff to give the illusion that the river is really low for the summer time.

Now I have added some trees and flowers to the river bank to make it look more green.

This is the design for the few fields near the river.

After a bit of bulldozing and rezoning, I decided that I'm satisfied with the area and fill in the open area with some trees.

I hope you enjoyed this update. I'm not sure what my next one will be on because I am currently struggling with building an eye-pleasing Capital of the region but I just can't get it work the way I want it too.

Jayster

EDIT: I decided that that was just way to short so I decided to use some of my free time today to create a mosaic showing some completed area of Westmister.

Hope you enjoyed the edit!  :thumbsup:

Jayster

kwakelaar

A very nice and colourful looking MD. Lots of close-ups of  infrastructure, and I liked the small airport you made. I always think that using a lot of space or planting lots of greenery makes a MD look more realistic. You are doing both, giving your images quite a natural feel.

Battlecat

Great job!  You're developing an interesting and appealing style for detailing the riverbanks!  Your mosaic turned out great! 

Cyclone1001

kodlovag

Quote from: Jayster on August 27, 2010, 08:44:25 PM
Replies:

kodlovag: Thanks, I honestly think that that cloverleaf I made is the best RHW Interchange I've ever made.  ;D

I agree, this is the best RHW cloverleaf interchange possible to build at this moment. But I'm waiting for even better RHW possibilities. RHW improves very fast. Again, it is the best clovereaf I've ever seen. Keep up the good work.
Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

MattyFo

Good update!  I love the cow pastures!

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

Jayster

Replies:

kwakelaar: Thank you very much, I feel adding the higher levels of saturation to my pictures gives them more life.  ;D
Battlecat: Thanks, I really enjoy making mosaics, you will definitely see more in upcoming updates!
Cyclone1001: Awesome! Hope you enjoy this update!
kodlovag: I can't wait until we can build an interchange that has several levels without using tunnels.
MattyFo: Thanks!

I have taken my MD in a different direction, my current map just wasn't working for me anymore, it didn't have enough variation in the terrain and it was too small. So I upgraded...

With that begins update 5.

So this week I was looking for a new region. I finally found one I'm satisfied with.

<a href="http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7307/tepotolarge.jpg"></a>

Click on the image for FULL resolution! Warning 3078KB.

This is the map I finally settled on, it has 169 big city tiles and lots of land. Plus there are mountains for future ski resorts!

Anyways, back to the actual update. The city that will be featured in this weeks update is actually the second city in the region. Its name is Riders Wake. Its a pretty small town so far with 2,263 people.

This is the one and only neighborhood in the city. It's the oldest in the region. Also, every single home in this neighborhood is histroical so no one can destroy any home to build some "fancy" modern mansion.

Mosaic showing the detail in the neighborhood.

Small park near the historical neighborhood and the freeway named I-25.

Riders Wake small train station.

Here is the downtown of Riders Wake. Here I decided to mess around with the angle of the picture. I really like it.

That's all for this update. I hope you enjoyed, and in the update after next, it will be my birthday update! 16 on the 16th. Pretty neat.

Anyways, thanks for visiting and see you all next week!  :thumbsup:

Jayster

P.S. If you read my MD, please please please please comment. Thanks!

cubby420

Very nice. There was a brief mention of the color saturation in your photos over in the contest thread, and I like it. The change adds life and vibrancy to your shots. Your pictures always have a crisp life to them.

MattyFo

Love the neighborhood!  Where did you find some of the smaller single family houses?

- Matt

!!!!GO HABS GO!!!!

Cyclone1001

kelis

Great pics ! I Like your region its great !
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||