• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Missing Plugin Pack

Started by z, July 19, 2010, 01:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z

I just opened a certain city for the first time in at least several weeks, and I got the dreaded warning about a plugin pack's being missing.  I converted the decimal number to hex and then looked for an IID with that number in my city file, but there wasn't any.  I then used a hex editor to search the city file for that number, and it came up empty too.  Has anyone figured out how to use the Plugin Pack ID to find out what's missing?  FWIW, the one I'm missing is 756756776, or 0x2D1B3128.

RippleJet

Quote from: z on July 19, 2010, 01:28:43 AM
Has anyone figured out how to use the Plugin Pack ID to find out what's missing?

The Plugin Pack ID is the same as the Instance ID of the building exemplar,
unless given a different value through the property PluginPackID.

Unless renamed by the creator, that ID is part of the SC4Desc or SC4Lot filename.
Thus, if you do not have a file including that Plugin ID in its name, there isn't really much else you can do yourself.

You could of course ask other people to see if someone could help you with locating that ID though.
I tried, but couldn't find that file among my plugins either.

Quote from: z on July 19, 2010, 01:28:43 AM
FWIW, the one I'm missing is 756756776, or 0x2D1B3128.

Since the Instance ID is generated based on the date and time it was created,
the only thing I can say based on that ID number is that it's a rather old bat.
The building exemplar was created 21.1.2004 at 23:24:24.

z

Quote from: RippleJet on July 20, 2010, 03:47:50 AM
The Plugin Pack ID is the same as the Instance ID of the building exemplar,
unless given a different value through the property PluginPackID.

Unless renamed by the creator, that ID is part of the SC4Desc or SC4Lot filename.
Thus, if you do not have a file including that Plugin ID in its name, there isn't really much else you can do yourself.

That would make a lot of sense; it's what's implied by the name, and it's the explanation I've read in other places as well.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be true.  For one thing, it doesn't explain why that number doesn't appear anywhere in the city file.

Through various searching techniques, I was fortunately able to find the building fairly quickly.  It's the BlaM Family Dollar Plop, whose Plugin Pack ID (and IID) is 0xD2E4CED8 - no relation to what was reported by the game.  Nor does the Family Dollar Plop contain the number reported by the game anywhere in its file.

Since the Instance ID is generated based on the date and time it was created,
the only thing I can say based on that ID number is that it's a rather old bat.
The building exemplar was created 21.1.2004 at 23:24:24.

The posting date on the STEX of the BlaM Family Dollar is 27.3.2007, and the actual file containing the exemplar is dated the day before.

This is not the first time I've tried to track down numbers posted by the game for missing Plugin Pack IDs; in my experience, the numbers are always bogus.  Have you found them to be correct?

Anyway, the good news is that my problem is solved.  Thanks for your efforts! :)