• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Korot

I prefer dashed lines, though there aren't any corners near here that are that sharp, without being part of an intersection.

Regards,
Korot

MandelSoft

I prefer only solid lines at sharp turns. The rest can be done with dashed lines.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

io_bg

Quote from: Andreas on July 28, 2009, 09:09:29 AM
For sharp curves, solid lines are the proper way to go. Solid lines indicate areas where overtaking is forbidden, because you can't see what's happening behind a curve or a hilltop. In a completely flat area without trees and such, solid lines wouldn't be mandatory, as you could see what's behind the curve, but in an urban environment (or in a forest, though one would use the WRC/FAR there), they are definitely necessary.
Just what I want ;)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Glazert

Quote from: carkid1998 on July 28, 2009, 09:55:17 AM
Here in the UK we have dashed lines, and dashed lines look cool in my opinion. :P

On straight sections, yes, but on curves with restricted visibility I have to disagree. On curves double solid lines would be common where visibility was restricted in both directions, solid on one side and dashed on the other where visibility was restricted in one direction only. Similar lines may be used on hilly sections, but I am certainly not suggesting that that should be attempted for SC4.

Gaston

Quote from: dedgren on July 28, 2009, 09:27:09 AM
You could be here chit-chatting with me about road centerlines or over at Blackwater looking at the best SC4 "built landscape" pics ever [linkie].  Just saying.

Emil (emilin), my friend, you have accomplished something amazing.

David

David,
   Thanks for posting that link.     That is the most absolutely best freak'n stuff I have seen in some time.    Hopefully everyone will use the link and jump right over there to see it.    I've looked at it 3 times already.   I've always wanted to an ALL Japanese city.   What Emil has done has far surpassed anything I might be able to create.   Great stuff indeed.

---Al
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

sithlrd98

Not to hijack your thread David , but a few days/pages back , the question of wealth textures for these new pieces came up. I was unsure how the game would handle these without messing with the alphas too much ,and so I did an experiment. I created an additional 3 instances of each and changed the appropriate digit for wealth.

First up , your new pieces with the according wealths:

Next up Maxis:

And just for the heck of it SAP sidewalk mod with Re-tex:

So , just to let everyone know , that even though the wealth alphas are not the same as the Maxis , and already knowing that these are not "new" additions , merely re-textures...this is how they will look out of the box! (Which look AWESOME compared to Maxis David!)

Jayson

EDITDude!  Hijack away!

Heh!- exactly what I had hoped.  Build it and he/she/they/you will come [linkie].  I'll be uploading the v.2 tweaked textures (both default and Euro) and sending them out to the beta testers in the next 24
. -DE

Jmouse

I see a lot of opinions here, but not enough just plain "Thank you for all you do, David!" I cannot imagine what the game or this site would be like without your hard work and endless generosity.

:) ...
Joan

EDITAw, shucks, ma'am.  Anyway, for me, it's what friends do.  Thanks for making my day, Joan! -DE

meinhosen

Jayson,

Did I mention that I like those wealth textures?

Oh, and David, thank you for highlighting Emil's pictures.  I've had so little time that I haven't had the opportunity to browse MDs like I normally do and you made my day by linking to his pics.  Thanks!
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

newsimaddict

I mirror what meinhsen said...thanks for the link over to emil's work. Beautiful work over there and very well executed.

Sithlrd98 - great work with the wealth texture work shown before. I hate the colours that much I've been using the asphalt sidewalk mod for what it seems - years! but mainly because I like ashphalt sidewalks as they look more realistic to me ; )

To Lora - Your stories have been very interesting to read. I've been interested in giving up my day job for quite a while now to study town planning...just need to jump out of my comfort zone. mmmm.

Wonderful work being done here...can't to see what magic David comes up with next!

_maciex_

Sithlrd98 Will this work with your white sidewalk mod? BTW great work :)

sithlrd98

Thanks meinhosen & newsimaddict

Quote from: _maciex_ on July 29, 2009, 02:29:18 AM
Sithlrd98 Will this work with your white sidewalk mod? BTW great work :)

Yes,these will work with my white sidewalk mod , as well as all sidewalk mods. Heres the thing though...I did not attempt to create new alphas for any of these. After looking at the Maxis alphas , I decided that although I could create them , I have no way of matching exactly how they are done. Therefore , you will notice that most of the pieces will not have grass-edges...which is fine by me because I hate them...but some folks like them.

Jayson

Albus of Garaway

Where has the time gone? I haven't visited 3RR in quite a while.

Some great work you've been doing, David, especially with the NAM. They've become essential to my city-building. Thank you!

Shadow Assassin

QuoteI did not attempt to create new alphas for any of these. After looking at the Maxis alphas , I decided that although I could create them , I have no way of matching exactly how they are done. Therefore , you will notice that most of the pieces will not have grass-edges...which is fine by me because I hate them...but some folks like them.

Some of the Maxis alphas are very poorly done, so I'm sure people wouldn't mind if you changed them a little bit. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

mayormalsy

My 1st post (been lurking for a while)!
Just wanted to say that what you and all the various teams have done to this game is fantastic and every time i log in i am totally amazed!
Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Malc

dedgren

I'm interested in seeing what happens when you offset John's (Pegasus) PPond boulders so that you can make them part of a cliff/hillside.

This is just concept stuff, but as usual I have an ulterior motive.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Gaston

David,
   Weird that I have been playing with these in the same fashion.   I'll try to post some pics later this evening or over the weekend.

---Al
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

ldvger

Can anyone explain to me the difference between BAT, MOD, LOT, LOD, etc?  Specifically I am looking to learn how to do the following two things:

1.) create a new or modify an existing water mod, such as PEG's Brigantine.

2.) create a new or modify an existing plop water, such as either jeronij's TPW or the Edmonton PW or PEG's Tahoe. 

I've never tried my hand at custom content (other than downloading and installing it!), so if anyone could just point me in the general direction I need to go in, I'd be most grateful!

Lora/LD

deathtopumpkins

Very nice David, Peg's rocks fit right at home in 3RR apparently.  :thumbsup:

@Lora: BAT = Building/3d object created with EA's Building Architect Tool plugin for Gmax; Mod = Functional modification to the game; Lot = Pretty self-explanatory, lots are what develop on zones (or that you plop) in SC4 (essentially, you put a BAT on a Lot); and LOD = Level of Object Detail, I believe, but its a concept I am not very familiar with, not being an experienced BATter.
I can't help you about creating those two things you mentioned though, as not all that many people have managed to and there aren't any tutorials I know of, but I hope the above is helpful.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

dedgren

Greetings from the bleeding edge...

ooops!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Ryan B.

I suspect that's why they call it the 'bleeding' edge . . . . it looks awfully fresh to me!

I want to echo Joan (Jmouse)'s earlier statement and say "thank you", David.  Even though I can no longer play the game, I always enjoy looking at the ongoing SC4 revolution which can be seen in the pages of this thread.

And, like everyone else, I'm left wondering what's next.