• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frdrcklim

I love those trees David. This is welcome development since I'm more in to the tree brush thing than planting trees individually. Would look great with those seasonal trees ::).

Looks like your volcano is also making headlines on wikipedia.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

Albus of Garaway

I've been gone for so long! I'm really sorry, and I just wanted to confirm that I'm still in the collaboration in case you had any doubts.

Great work while I've been gone! :)

CaptCity

Oh my... Your recent images look like they could've been taken out of my school bus window as a youngster (well... maybe a little closer to ground level  ;) ) Wonderful work, as we've come to expect...  &apls

-CaptCity

ldvger

Ok, my bad last night concerning ST pulling 3RR from thier archives.  I was able to find it today and continue with my "catching up process".  I have made it up to page 15, I think, at the bottom of which you posted your first attempt to create a road map of your region.  You made the map a link and I followed the link, but it just took me back to Imageshack.  So, as this is something I would like to do with my region also (isn't mimicry the best and most sincere form of flattery?), I would like to know how you did this. 

I don't intentionally post here with the idea of simply vacuuming your brain for ways to make my own region look more like I want it to, I really don't.  Think of me rather as an acolyte on her knees before a master teacher, seeking learning.  I could post glowing reviews of your work after every update you post, but so many folks already do that and while I know it's very gratifying, at some point it becomes, hmm.....gratuitious.  You are a master of what you do with SC4 and you know it, you have been told so many, many times.  You are also an excellent teacher, and it in that capacity that I seek your guidance. 

Your region is gorgeous, a masterpiece, and I mean that truely and from my heart...but it becomes pointless if I repeat this with very post I make here.  You have seen the terrain of my region and understand, I think, the extremely daunting tasks I have set for myself in
that regard.  I want to do the region justice.  I want to do justice to the time I have already spent in God Mode terraforming, which amounts to probably 100 hours, maybe more.  Who counts?  I don't. 

I also want to know how you made your region so big, but I know that info is coming up about 20 pages or so from where I am now, so I will be patient and not ask questions about that until I get there and if I find my questions then unanswered.  So far I have found that if I am patient, the answers come. 

Lora

ldvger

Ok, my bad, try to remember I am catching up.  Your very next post laid out the process step-by-step using Paint Shop Pro. 

Problem for me is, I don't have PSP and, living on charity as I currently am, can't buy it.  Is there a freeware or shareware software program that will work instead that you mght be aware of and could refer to those of us who may be less financially endowed?  If not, no problem, I'll cruise around and see what I can find on my own. 

Lora

bat

The "typical 3RR" picture looks really beautiful! Nice work! :thumbsup:

Bishop Hawke

Ok guys I am having a major problem here. I am needing help from any of you that might know how to fix this . I have bought a new computer that has windows vista 64 bit. It will not play my favorite game whice is sc4. any ideads  on how I can get the game to work? If not I may forever lose my SC4 world and I would hate  for that to happen.

dedgren

That's an emergency, my friend.  I don't know what to tell you at this point, as SC4 installed and ran without a hitch on the 64-bit Vista that came with my new laptop (I burn through about one a year doing the lawyer thing, then there's this on top).  I know that some have said to right-mouse click the shortcut and find "XP Compatibility Mode" in the menus that come up.  It could also be your graphics chipset, but again that is me passing on hearsay.  Perhaps you could give a bit further description- say, what happens from the time you double-click the icon through when the program fails.  Also the make, model and configuration of your 'puter.  With about 750 new looks every day here, it should be long 'til someone comes by with better answers than mine.

Sorry about your situation- we'll stay on this until we figure it out.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

deathtopumpkins

Is it a dual or quad core? I know that can cause some problems running SC4...
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

sithlrd98

Yes , we need some specs...I'm running x64Vista on an AMD Phenom Quad core with out any major issues(just a minor graphical one that know one knows how to fix) ()what()

Jayson

Darmok

To Lora

Lora there's a free software that will help you, called "The Gimp"
here's the url
http://www.gimp.org/

It's probably the best free tool you'll find, its well documented, it's open source, there's a lot, and I mean A LOT of tutorial and support on the net for it.
See the Wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP
There's a learning curve but not that hard. And you'll never find a best bargain that's for sure.
Hope this will help you.

-John

Edited for typos...
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth

Bishop Hawke

Thanks for the replys

This is a dell 630I windows vista 64 bit, core 2 Nvidia grforce 9800gt vid card , 4 meg ram, 250 gig hd.
the game keeps asking me for the simcity deluxe play disk.  there are only two disk and I have always used the first disk.

just_a_guy

Try the second disc. I'm running sc4 with vista but the same thing happens if I use the first disc, so I use the second one. But i'm not sure if that's your problem becuase I run a 32 bit version of vista.

Hope it helps and good luck!
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

sithlrd98

I would concur...the second disc is the "play"disc.

Jayson

Ryan B.

Quote from: Bishop Hawke on March 29, 2009, 10:39:52 AM
Ok guys I am having a major problem here. I am needing help from any of you that might know how to fix this . I have bought a new computer that has windows vista 64 bit. It will not play my favorite game whice is sc4. any ideads  on how I can get the game to work? If not I may forever lose my SC4 world and I would hate  for that to happen.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties.  I know how you feel.  I haven't been able to play SC4 for over a month now because of several problems with my laptop.

There is light at the end of the tunnel - it'll be completely fixed this week!

Hang in there, friend.  You'll get it sorted out.   :thumbsup:

ldvger

Darmok, thank you so very much for this excellent tool.  I have just downloaded and installed it, not yet explored it all, but from the tool pallets that loaded, I think I will be able to accomplish what I want, once I learn the software.  I fully intend to Wiki the tool and find the tutorials you spoke of, then wend my through them. 

This entire process of learning new tools and processes is so exciting to me.  I downloaded David's rapids and waterfall tolls today and played around with them in my experimental region.  Made a decent waterfall, but I know it could use improvement.  I couldn't use the rapids because I have another water mod installed other than Edmonton and I like it better (jeronij's transparent water).  A dreamer can dream, I guess, but i hope someday all the folks who make ploppable water and the many variations to it (slope, diagonal, rapids, waterfalls, etc.) can find a way to agree on water textures that allows each of thier works to integrate with the others. 

Like I said, I'm a dreamer....still dreaming of the above sea level water brush toll in God Mode.  If Maxis doesn't create it in the next iteration of this game, perhaps I will become motivated enough to do it myself.

Thanks again Darmok, you are  a sweeatheart!

Lora

EDITLora, you have discerning taste- 3RR has had no better friend than John (Darmok) over the years, and his work in Anduin River Valley [linkie] has been a constant source of inspiration.  I'll note that my ploppable rapids have been adapted to jeronij's ploppable water and are on the 3RREX here [linkie]. -DE

Darmok

Don't mention it Lora,
glad I could help!

And good luck with "The Gimp" you'll see in the various tutorials that you'll be able to accomplish almost everything Photoshop can do.

Here's one site that is a good place to start.
http://tutorialblog.org/gimp-tutorials/

Again, good luck and have fun.  ;)

-John
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth

dedgren

It is, of course, Seward's Day...

I've been working over the weekend to this point pulling together a project that has been in the making since just after 3RR arrived here at SC4D.

...no, not collaboration- that's taken longer...

I'm hoping that, by the end of the day, I will have pulled together what I will probably call "Tree Lots, Treelines, Fencelines and Fields," or TLTFF for short.  I'm heading back to it now, but here's a taste of one of the details.

As you will remember, I took some time to preserve Brian's (c.p./cycledogg) original set of autumn foliage seasonal trees when he switched to more muted colors [linkie], as they had a visual impact that I thought was important.  Here's why.

when the white eagle of the north is flying overhead
the browns, reds and golds of autumn lie in the gutter, dead
remember then, that summer birds with wings of fire flaying
came to witness spring's new hope, born of leaves decaying
Just as new life will come from death, love will come at leisure.
love of love, love of life and giving without measure
gives in return a wondrous yearn of a promise almost seen.
live hand-in-hand and together we'll stand...

...on the threshold of a dream

Later.

David

"On the Threshold of a Dream" lyrics by G. Edge, 1969, all rights reserved

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

mightygoose

awesome.... i cannot wait :)
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

frdrcklim

I wish they weren't ploppable though. Nevertheless, I like how the trees worked out in the last picture, so I'm also excited as well ;D.

EDITThose trees are on lots, my friend.  Although I guess the lots are ploppable... -DE
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.