• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamper77

Quote from: Ennedi on May 20, 2008, 02:35:46 PM
2. It would be good to make textures more similar to the regular road. The difference is especially visible in shadow:

Ennedi,

This can be fixed, but not with the FAR pieces themselves. The lighting of the models is controlled by the game's Lighting Exemplar, which modifiable to an extent. The Lighting Exemplar (TGI 0x6534284A, 0xA9189CF0, 0x00000001) has properties regarding how much shadow is applied to certain objects in the game. The values are based on percentages (ie 0.5 = 50%, 1 = 100%). There are 3 properties that regulate shadowing to the ingame objects:

- Flora Terrain Shadow Amount: How much flora are shadowed by the terrain. Default = 0.9
- Model Terrain Shadow Amount: How much models (buildings) are shadowed by the terrain. Default = 0.4
- Automata Terrain Shadow Amount: How much automata are shadowed by the terrain. Default = 0.7

The Model Terrain Shadow Amount property is probably the one you are looking to change, but it will also affect buildings and props on Lots as to how much they get shadowed by the terrain.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Andreas

Quote from: ScottFTL on May 20, 2008, 09:09:24 AM
I think some matching magic courtesy of Andreas is all they need now.  I can't wait... but I will.   ;D

I'll certainly have a look at those, but I just moved, so things are still a bit hectic these days. But once I settled down properly at the new place, I should have some more free time. :)
Andreas

Ennedi

@Swamper, thank you very much! But what if FAR pieces texture would be more similar to the normal road texture? In fact an intention of my question was to remove the difference visible in shadow  :)

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

freedo50

Quote from: Ennedi on May 20, 2008, 02:52:32 PM
@Swamper, thank you very much! But what if FAR pieces texture would be more similar to the normal road texture? In fact an intention of my question was to remove the difference visible in shadow  :)

Adam

What swamper means, I think, is that the difference is caused by the fact that the game applies a different amount of shadow to the FARR pieces (which are models) and the normal roads (which are textures). His suggestion was that changing the two values so that they are the same may remove this problem.

Also, great analysis further up, I now understand much more about the pieces!

Fred

Pat

David OMG WOW!!! I think John has summed this up well, "forever in awe"!!!! 82274

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Adam (Ennedi),
That was a great, and excellently detailed, look into the FAR pieces. It was particularly interesting to note the slope mod capability and how best to terraform to prepare for the pieces. That little bit of information will likely save many people (including me) quite a bit of time in the future when placing these things. Thanks for the detailed analysis.
-Matt

j-dub

Ok, if the FARR pieces are made from models, I'm assuming BAT, couldn't the texture applied to the models be darkened in some photo editing program, and then previewing it before outputting to game? 

pilotdaryl

Your work stuns me! :o I must have it!!!
FREE ACCESS PASS!!! :D

mightygoose

one little thing, could we possibly do the curves for FAR to diagonal long curve and short curve?
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Swamper77

Quote from: j-dub on May 20, 2008, 05:02:59 PM
Ok, if the FARR pieces are made from models, I'm assuming BAT, couldn't the texture applied to the models be darkened in some photo editing program, and then previewing it before outputting to game?

The models for network puzzle pieces, which includes the FAR and FARR, are not made in BAT. Therefore, there is no rendering being done by GMAX/BAT. They are made of several planar S3D models that are 16 meters square. They are manually textured by the NAM Team and/or other custom content creators. The textures can be made and modified by anyone, but it usually helps to have the source files that the custom content creators, such as David, have.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

Shadow Assassin

Using Maxis trees? How dare you! :P

Seriously, David, that looks great. But it would be even better if you used transparent lots... :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

rooker1

This is very impressive and will make an awesome addition to the game. 
Anytime you need help testing this type of thing, you can definately count on me.  ;)
I do hope that the colour difference can be over come.
Robin  ;D
Call me Robin, please.

BigSlark

Great demonstration, Adam. As I should have expected, your skills are much more finely honed than mine, you've given some great ideas to try with the FAR when I have a few moments.

Cheers,
Kevin

bat

Yes, wonderful testing there, Ennedi!
And looking forward to more of FAR!

btw, this should be my 5000th post!!!
...couldn't find a better place for this special post number...

JoeST

hey David, the FAR and FARR are looking ace, as usual with whatever is in this thread :)...

Just to tell you, (kinda a shameless plug again) im gona try and develop a thing that does some maths on the view/reply counts of this thread for statistical purposes... I might do it might not...but currently have extracted the current counts so yeah... soon to be done :)

Hope thats ok with people

Joe

EDIT: Here is a link to the current stuff, all it shows at the moment is the totals and how many to each 0ey milestone (aka 00, 000, 0000.. etc) and some random stats, hope u like it :)
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

thundercrack83

You never cease to amaze me, Adam. The amount of thought you put into every move you make is mind-boggling!

Excellent work, my friend!

And David, your FARR eyecandy--incredible!

nerdly_dood

My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

CasperVg

I like them, looks really awesome!
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Ennedi

Quote from: freedo50 on May 20, 2008, 03:24:04 PM
What swamper means, I think, is that the difference is caused by the fact that the game applies a different amount of shadow to the FARR pieces (which are models) and the normal roads (which are textures). His suggestion was that changing the two values so that they are the same may remove this problem.

Also, great analysis further up, I now understand much more about the pieces!

Fred

Thank you Fred for explaining it! Now I understand what Jan said  :)

David, you asked testers in email for suggestions about additional FAR pieces. I have one proposition. It is my dream from a long time.
Winding roads are built mostly in hilly terrain and of course in mountains. To cover a high slope engineers must often build sharp curves, sometimes 135o or 180o.

We can make 180o road curve - but only on completely flat terrain. In this case there is no distance between two road stretches, and such distance is necessary to make a road going uphill. We can also make two 90o curves or 1350 curve followed by 45o one, but it looks bad.

My proposition is to make 45 and 90 degrees curves with a relatively small radius. Such curves exist in various park and park sets. I used SFBT Park Set to show my idea:

It would be great to make such road!
As you see, there are 2 tiles free between two road stretches. It is very good - one tile can be covered by wall, and the second one can be used for finishing - for example plopping trees or to adjust the wall height and don't make it too high.
What do you think about it?

Adam

New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

rooker1

That looks incredible and sounds like an awesome idea Adam.
Those RL pics, I have seen them before, but they still amaze me.
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.