• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Stagnation or Prosperity?

Started by marcszar, April 26, 2007, 09:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcszar

Hello fellow SC4D Members! Well, I've finally decided to throw in the towel and... start a mayor's diary. Now before I launch into an introduction of my city, let me tell you about my playing style and region. This may evolve into a story or showcase-themed MD, but its primary nature will be to serve as an inquiry into the nature of urbanism. I will post screenshots from my Simcity cities as well as pictures of RL cities gleaned from the web (collected from too many sources to cite) in order to further any thoughts or ideas I may wish to express.

My building style may probably seem peculiar- I prefer combining and using both European and urban US BATs, which is a combination probably not found in many RL cities! :D So if you see a neogothic European W2W District next to an American rowhouse W2W district, don't ask!  ;)

I am not a big fan of region play, and prefer to build on flat ground, so I'm not going to bother posting regional shots because (a) the regional maps are just boring flat slabs made by me and (b) the development as seen from the air would look irregular and schizophrenic, as I don't like to build suburbs and there is an abrupt dividing line between my urban areas and open land.

So, without further ado...

Below is an aerial view of my current city, often used for BAT testing and planning experimentation. If you have been following the SC4 Picture Competition thread, the screenshot for my contribution to that thread was taken in this city:

The high-rise "projects" tower over the downtown highway:

In a run-down apartment building near these projects, an unemployed person contemplates the meaning of the phrase "Outsourcing is good for our economy":

A more stable northeastern neighborhood:

Unfortunately this rowhouse district nearby is not so fortunate:

The once ever-present ring of industry around the city center is slowly dying out...:

...and gaps where buildings have been lost to dereliction and arson are becoming increasingly prevalent:

Another industrial scene near the edge of town...:

...and the city skyline can be seen off in the distance:

And finally, here's a closeup of the city center. You'll note that most of the high rises are old (pre-WWII) as after the war, massive suburbanization, white flight, and the corresponding economic slump put a damper on any new development:

Will the city center be revitalized or will it sink further into economic ruin? Stick around to find out!  :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

Great start you have here, marcszar! I love the mix of game pictures with real life ones, and the real life ones you chose really look like they were taken in your city. I can't wait to see how things develop around here...or perhaps they'll stagnate...Either way, I'll be sticking around to find out!

Emperor Stormont

Wonderfully depressing and grim. I love it and such a different take on an MD I await further fantastic updates  &apls

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Badsim

Quote from: marcszar on April 26, 2007, 09:09:40 PM
Hello fellow SC4D Members! Well, I've finally decided to throw in the towel and... start a mayor's diary.

... and another dream of mine is coming true . &dance

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Strechnitz

OOH &hlp

What a wonderful MD start Marcszar! It reads like a documentary(in the best possible sense of that word) on the current situation and what let to it, without shaming and blaming. "$Deal"$

I am curious how this city will develop. down or up? down or up? always the same question, never the same answer :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I look forward to it's future.

Strech.

rooker1

Ohh.......this is going to be great, a MD from Marcszar.  So far so great my friend.  This is my favourite style.  So very realistic for very old cities it's scary.  You have done an outstanding job and I hope to do just as well with my MD with some more pratice and of coarse many more visits here to your MD.  Many, many ideas I have after looking at your's.

Great job,
Robin   :thumbsup: &apls :thumbsup: &apls
Call me Robin, please.

sebes

This will become a classic... I am sure.... 

I love you buildingstyle of combining European and US buildings. The atmosphere in all pitcurs is so... Marcszar  :thumbsup:

I'll stay tuned ..
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Glenni

Finally!!A cj about grit and grime, i love this marc!!! ()stsfd()

Thornton

This should definitely be a good MD  :thumbsup: 
Especially from a Hall of Famer like marcszar.

meinhosen

Yes!  Gritty, dirty, old, industrial, run-down, crime-ridden, filthy.... PERFECT!

:thumbsup:

This is what I've always tried to do with my inner-cities, and it never comes out as good as you've just shown.  I'll definitely be watching and taking notes  :)
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

Mulefisk

Too cool for words!
You've always been making great stuff and this is no exception.
I'll definately be following this.

guurgkud

wow this is amazing! i love the style. will definately be back for more!!
]http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7083.0]

Come discover its mysteries...
Tristania // Revisited

kimcar

&apls Very nice work and pics. Looking forward :thumbsup:

thundercrack83

I don't know if my opinion counts, but I smell "Special Interest This Month" for May 2007...

bat

Great start and fantastic pictures! :thumbsup:

Yoder7652

now I'm depressed  &mmm ....but in a good way  ;D I love that you are taking on a MD. I look forward to seeing what you have in store for this city....any city in particular that you are basing it on? I see some of your real world shots look like they are from NY. Declining industry is too all familiar here in Ohio....what once was the heart of the American steel industry.

kwakelaar

A nice mix of real life and simcity, this can make for a interesting MD, and the presentation is very good

Zaphod

All we need now are some mayor-mode ghetto palms :thumbsup:
War Kittens !?

nova vesfalo

wow-ing ! you've made splendid urban-decay suburb ! (Well Schonbrun is a bit weird just next to the airport )

BTW what are the three big building on this pic :

sEAhAwk fAn121

wow thats awsome! i think the city will prosper again they all do!  &apls