• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Elliptical Plaza_Lot (It's complete!!!!)

Started by Highrise99, June 01, 2010, 02:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Girafe

good project, never heard of it before
what is very difficult with this type of structure is the fact that there are only curves and looks like natural. There are not so many models in sc4 with this kind of architecture however it is very interesting above all with skyscrapers.

Good luck for this BAT, we will see what you can do  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Highrise99

Quote from: Girafe on June 01, 2010, 03:03:21 PM
good project, never heard of it before
what is very difficult with this type of structure is the fact that there are only curves and looks like natural. There are not so many models in sc4 with this kind of architecture however it is very interesting above all with skyscrapers.

Good luck for this BAT, we will see what you can do ;)
Thank you, this BAT isn't a real building.  The building is actually composed of lots of triangles.
I'm working hard on the BAT, but does anyone know how to upload to SC4D if you aren't a qualified LEX uploader?

callagrafx

Quote from: Highrise99 on June 02, 2010, 02:26:41 PM
but does anyone know how to upload to SC4D if you aren't a qualified LEX uploader?

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=492.0

Read this carefully, and also read the other topics in the same child board. When you are ready, open a candidacy thread.  Best of luck  :thumbsup:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

SimFox

I'm afraid you have taken upon yourself more than you would be able to actually accomplish. I'm saying this because of many things:
your experience - I assume this is you first or so model, right?
Tool used - GMAX... you really need at least MAX, but better something more tailored for NURBS modeling like say REVIT.
The fact that you decided rather than re-create something to make your own stuff. It may first appear as an easier task, but in fact it is much more difficult. It is basically like trying to excel at classical ballet before you've learn to crawl. When you do re-creation you at least have some sort of reference. NOT having reference will not make it "look better because people wouldn't be able to compare"...

Also do you really need that scrolling picture? what for? I mean you put picture, I assume, so that people could look at it... Did you try to do so with your pictures? Go easier on "effects" especially if you don't know how to make them in a way that they will work. Better try to impress people with you model (that include making picture actually viewable).

If you are student of any sorts I would recommend you to sign with Autodesk and download REVIT Architecture 2011. I believe it would be easiest to create frame you're looking for in that program - it has automated tool just for this type of things. the NURB shape itself cold be created in say Max 2011, or Alias Studio

Highrise99

SimFox, this is actually not my first BAT.

SimFox

you've asked to comment yet it was impossible to see what one may comment about.
Of course if your intend is just small talk it is fine, but for something else one is suppose to see things... Besides it was just a little remark the point of my comment was the suggestion of a particular tools that in my opinion would help you to realize your design.

Highrise99

Unfortunately, I recently found out that attachments are limited in size.  Model files are much to large to attach, unless I contact an administrator.  However, in compensation, a little after the 21st, I will release pictures.  Also, the BAT is taking less time than expected.  After I finnish it, I will then start my candidacy thread and continuously upload images.  To those of you who were waiting on the release of pre public items, I am sorry.  But soon, the BAT will be released, probably within a couple of months.

joelyboy911

I would advise against setting deadlines and making promises. Could we see perhaps some pictures of the development so far?
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Highrise99

Quote from: joelyboy911 on June 19, 2010, 03:33:05 PM
Could we see perhaps some pictures of the development so far?
I've just uploaded them. :)

I've now uploaded some more pictures, showing the neutrally textured windows, along with the metal textured beams.  I am currently working on modeling an interior.  The idea is to have walk around hallways next to an open interior.

Highrise99

I know progress has been kind of slow lately. &mmm  However, here is an update.  It takes more time than you would expect...
I present the first interior update.  Although it isn't that scenic from gmax, it will be about all you see in-game, except some textures which I am still considering.

You probably noticed that besides some edges that show, there is no 3D frame.  Although it is in the gmax model.  I don't know if this is just because I am using low quality or I need to make it bigger.  However, you can see the white floors.  I am also considering adding an inner frame, but that is nearly imposible now as the scene is cluttered (in an organized fashion :)).

When Elliptical Plaza is finished, I will want to start a new model.  I am wondering where I can get some floor plans.

Highrise99

The Alpha is finally here!
I've added the floors, core, night windows, and I've gotten the frame to appear.  I'll start my candidacy thread soon.
Anyways, HERE IT IS!!!
Day

Night

Just a notice for everyone:
When I first started this thread, I wasn't thinking about BATs I might do in the future.  The whole thread was geared towards Elliptical Plaza.  So, when Elliptical Plaza is uploaded, I won't use this thread anymore.  Instead, I will open an new BAT showcase for all my BATs.  When this occurs, I will clearly state it.

Couchpotato

I watched a tv show(Can This be Made) a few nights ago showing the difficulties of constructing this building.    First they had to find bedrock and then drive hundreds of steel pipes
into the bedrock and up into the foundation.   All this to keep the building from just falling over.     The steel structure rising straight from the foundation is the core that also keeps
the building from toppling.   The additional splash structure is designed to help keep the building cool.

I'm afraid your building missed the mark of the sleek glass skin, the rigid lower core and the splash screen & entry.    Don't give up though.  Just try something easier.   This is a very
difficult building to model correctly.   

Highrise99

Quote from: Couchpotato on July 26, 2010, 04:52:03 PM
I watched a tv show(Can This be Made) a few nights ago showing the difficulties of constructing this building.    First they had to find bedrock and then drive hundreds of steel pipes
into the bedrock and up into the foundation.   All this to keep the building from just falling over.     The steel structure rising straight from the foundation is the core that also keeps
the building from toppling.   The additional splash structure is designed to help keep the building cool.

I'm afraid your building missed the mark of the sleek glass skin, the rigid lower core and the splash screen & entry.    Don't give up though.  Just try something easier.   This is a very
difficult building to model correctly.   

Sorry for the confusion, but I didn't try to create Capital Gate.  You're right, it's a very ambitios project that I'm not planning to take on. :)

Highrise99

Well, after some troubleshooting, I finaly managed to produce the lot:

I'll start my candidacy thread very soon and that means I have officialy left this thread.