• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Royal Gansbaai Kingdoms - The End; A New Revolution

Started by marsh, May 12, 2010, 04:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noahclem

That's too bad to here and I hope it'll only be a short break. I think your work here is an inspiration to a lot of people and certainly takes the game to places it wouldn't otherwise be.

One idea: How about an sub-arctic region? And no, not just because I live in Finland.  $%Grinno$%

Consider this:
1. Recent advances with mayor mode seasonal ploppables have opened massive possibilities with such a region
2. A large number of high-quality "commie blocks" have been created recently which could be fairly appropriate, at least for a Russian or industrial-based region (plenty of large ports and energy extraction projects up north)
3. Some pretty nice ski-hill/winter recreation content available relatively recently.

Just throwing out an idea ;)  Good luck with whatever direction you decide to take.

marsh

Well, I have not really taken much of a hiatus. I'm enjoying SC4 again. Taking my time though. Not rushing to through out updates, as well as writing a story. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I think you all will love it too. The Gansbaai Kingdoms though... I think are done. I have become bored of it. Gansbaai had a really great run, but I think it is time to be over. Possibly the Wild West too, which was just a thing to do aside from Gansbaai. Although I'm unsure. Should I keep it in this CJ? To... keep the memory alive, to say?

Thanks for all of your support. I know you love this stuff. I will try to keep it up.  :)

,marsh

Tyler

After seeing the sneak speaks you've showed us I'm pumped to see your actual MD..Can't wait!  :)

serebii666

"If Kyle has 3 apples and is shorter that John who has 7 and if John is taller than Jenny who just graduated from Harvard, how old is Karen?"

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

travismking

I really enjoy your building style, and hope you do start another MD once you find your inspiration again.

marsh

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thinking of writing a story-base CJ for a while. I think I have finally done so.  :)

I'm deciding to leave it in this topic, to keep Gansbaai... "alive" and have people continue to enjoy it. It will also not make me have to start over in the MD ranks, and keeping my viewers.  :)

I started building the plugin folder for this region a week or 2 ago. And have been starting it the past week 1/2. Yes, I work fast. Why? Because I DO love this game. It is very enjoyable for me no matter what I build.
This City you can assume is in a fictional time line. I wont say much else, And let you discover everything for yourselves.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A world in anguish. Serindriea, 1998. The dawn of a new millennium is closing in. People move to this, "beautiful" city every day. Beautiful, I can argue that. This city is hell. Although I have never seen the outside of the city since I was 6, It's safe to amuse we live in a pit of despair. Living in the slums of the city. Well... the entire place is a slum. The wealthy live in the hills. The only wealthy being those favored by the duke. A borderline Tyrant of the city. Following blindly, the people love him. I mean, just throw a few extravagant parties ever year and you can win over the love of the people.

6 years old, when I came here. Then it was nothing more then a few shacks along the riverbed in beautiful forest. Now it is a hellhole. So many factories. A blight place. The contamination is so intense it feels like twilight, even during the day. The air feels like an anchor. Clenched by soot from textile mills and Steel Furnaces. 20 years I've lived here. I don't want to stay much longer.

There used to be small mills. Built from wood, and with shingle roofs. But now massive facilities have taken those over. And smokestacks tower over the city. Across the river many of these still stand. I go there often; to remind me of simpler times. The Oak and Maple trees give the sense of the country side.

The river is a relativity calm one. Only roars in the early spring months after the snow melt. It serves as a good waterway for many ships. Very many, in fact. It's a very busy waterway. The numerous bridges along it don't help much either. Theres massive steel bridges, suspensions, as well as one large rail drawbridge. Famous for it's treacherous location. The ports are almost exclusively industry. But a few unlucky people live down there. And I thought my "home" was bad.

The city boomed as soon as Duke Piarnon Agustine made this his home, after leaving the capitol, Athenea. A strong fierce man. Threatening and tyrannical. Tall with a noticeable scar across his neck. He wasn't always this way. He used to be a great man, when he first came here that is. But power changes people. It can change anyone.

He lives in the hills. Away from the grime and grit of the city. Since living there he has lost his cares for Serindriea. A beautiful place. Trees swaying in the wind, the creeks slowly trickles by. It's easy to loose your cares up there.

noahclem

Wow, awesome work Marsh!  &apls The city is "beautiful" and that storyline adds to it. I'm curious where you'll take us with this!  :thumbsup:

Biriali

Very impressive stuff here (as always!) I especially love the mix of residential and industrial buildings. It seems quite Victorian.
I'm just wondering, have you ever read any of China MiƩville's books (especially Perdido Street Station)? Your city looks like it has been taken directly from his imaginary city of New Crobuzon; a city full of poverty, filth, oppression, corrupt bureaucrats and an insanely rich elite.
If you haven't read any of his books, I would definetely recommend it. I bet you could get a lot inspiration!

This new projekt looks very promising. I will definetely be back  :thumbsup:
Nemo sobrius saltaret

peter007

Girafe

Good industrial picture !!  :) and nice photoshopping
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

wallasey

Great work there......reminds me of my local town of Birkenhead. Nothin ere' other than derelict docks...piles of rubble the list could go on.  :)

io_bg

Awesome update and fantastic city! You've captured the atmosphere in the best possible way :thumbsup: &apls
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

bat

Some great shots of your beautiful city!
The night image is looking really fantastic!!!! :thumbsup:
Looking forward to more...

Ciuu96

Awesome start! I like the story, haven't seen any story-based MD for a while. The photoshopping is also awesome, as well is the city! Looking forward for more of this greatness!  :)
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

Tyler

mave94

Amazing city marsh!
Do you use a new SAM-texture? ???

-Matthijs

mikeski

Simply amazing Marsh.  These are some stunning industrial areas you've created.  Hope to see more from this uhhh.... "beautiful" city.

Mike

ecoba

I know it's so gloomy and everything, and really depressing (I think we discussed that in chat last night, eh? :p)- but, I love it, hun ! I really like the story as well, it's very captivating. :)

Ethan

Terring7

Wow, plenty of pollution. But still interesting :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Skimbo

The Dragon Island Cities journal at SC4Devotion

For a Dragon Islands video click here