• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Royal Gansbaai Kingdoms - The End; A New Revolution

Started by marsh, May 12, 2010, 04:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_Chen

My first MD here : The Urban construction diar

marsh

Replies:

canyonjumper, travismking, cubby420 & penguin007: Thank you!

noahclem: Thank you! It's jeroni's transparent ploppable water.  ;)

Battlecat: Thanks! I personally didn't like the green....  &mmm I think it has something to do with the in-game shadows.

Bill_Chen: Thank you! I'm glad you like my MD!  :)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

rooker1, Tomas Neto, noahclem(2) & io_bg: See below comment VVVV

cubby420:

QuoteMarsh, I feel strange about your transition to more typical fare and want to express my feelings about it. When I first saw this city, I thought...wow!...that's really cool! I'd love to see more of that! I'm sure you'd tackle this material with your own unique vision and attention to detail that mark the rest of you updates. But now, looking at the city a second time and revisiting some of your recent and older creations...I just feel kind of, disappointed. Your updates are something I look forward to because you're doing things no one else is even trying in sc4. I mean, the arctic, Middle Eastern, and North African cities you've constructed are special not just because of your talent and eye for unique styles, but because other people weren't even bothering to give them a shot. Hell, I still won't!   I wouldn't know where to start. I want to see that...the stuff that is breaking the barriers of what I and many others thought was possible in the game! If your more or less bored with the styles mentioned above, how about giving something new a try? Japanese or Chinese styled cities? Pacific islands? Just ideas. But, I do think your heart lies in creating exotic locations and pushing the boundaries.

Well that sure was long-winded.   Whatever you decide to do thought, I'm sure I'll be amazed. Peace - Andrew

I see what you mean. I also feel it. After I took the photo I wasn't as happy with it as most of my other pictures. (Also reflected in my attitude twords mainstream stuff.) I wasn't even that proud of it because I know I could have put that effort towards something more unique. Like plans I have on some islands...
Anyway I am not even continuing on the region anymore. I agree with you in what you said.

...That being said... Here's a teaser.  :) (Way better then that mid-western city)

nbvc

calibanX

Incredible stuff here marsh. I've just gone back and read your MD from page one. It's pretty cool to see how your style has changed over time. I love what you're doing with the river banks and their foliage. Your city building is absolutely stunning as well. Nice work.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

penguin007

Awesome desert coastline as usaul there my friend.

Bit of a silly qeustion on whether we would want to see that city. OF COURSE!!!! it looks amazing!!

Will

cubby420

Haha! You're ridiculous!  :thumbsup:  Keep doing that thing you do man, cause this kind of stuff seems unreal. Your tress lines are immaculate as usual, and the reef ridge or sandbar or whatever that is an incredible idea.  :satisfied:

io_bg

Wow! Fantastic detailing; I'm eager to see the whole update! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Tomas Neto

My friend, all in your MD is spectacular, fantastic!!! Cities and landscapes!!! Then, What you to decide shows us will be always wonderful, like this teaser!!!
Awesome teaser!!!  &apls &apls

Lowkee33

A terrific picture   &apls  Very nice work on every aspect.  It took me a while to have a good guess at how you made the water look like that.  

I am glad I could help with the textures.  Often the things I find make me say "Marsh would like this".  I think you have great motives, and perhaps I can share more possibilities with you?  Let's focus on the water/beach:

In that same Terrain Exemplar there are three properties:1) "Water Depth for Max Alpha",2) "Water Min Alpha". and 3) "Water depth to Color Gradient Factor".  It looks like yours are not the default values, so perhaps you already know about this.  Variable 2 is the transparency of water at 0 depth (right at land), variable 1 is the depth of water at which it becomes not transparent at all, and variable 3 is the rate this happens.  So for you, it looks like anything deeper than 22 meters (or below a terrain height of 178 meters, do you know of the "terrainquery" cheat?) will be 100% water textures.  Anything less deep and we are seeing the below-water-textures and the water texture acting as an alpha layer above it.

There are more variables in there to play with.  Another is something like Sea-Bed Depth.  There are actually two underwater textures.  One is the "deep-sea" texture, and the variable I mentioned controls how deep the switch happens.

If you want I could explain how to import your own textures.  I can say that importing them is not the hard part, making the textures good is.

The fact that you are using my tutorials makes me happy.  They are at about 135 views each and no replies, so it's good to know they are written in English :)  I may update them today.

Keep up the good work.

nedalezz

What can I say, you've outdone even yourself with that last mosaic! Just  &apls  &apls  &apls

Reminds me a little of little tropical islands you can find all over Western and Eastern Africa with forts on them built during the colonial years.

Outstanding!

Battlecat

Breathtaking coastal desert!  You did an amazing job detailing the area!

marsh

Replies:

nbvc, calibanx, penguin007, cubby420, Thomas Neto, nedalezz, & Battlecat: Thank you all!  ;D

Lowkee22:Interesting stuff. I've been playing around with a lot of different values. Hopefully I can find a good one.  :)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"What do you think of the real life Nouadhibou?"

io_bg

I think you missed my reply :P ::) But that's not a problem ;)
As for your question, I'm more interested in seeing your interpretation of Nouadhibou, or however it is called :D (although the real-life pic is nice, too)

Edit: Ah, okay. Nice photoshopping then ;D
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

marsh

There is no real Nouadhiobu. That is just a photoshopped picture I made of how I imagine the city would be, taken out of SC4.  ;)

,marsh

nedalezz

Actually...

There is a real city on the border of Mauritania and Western Sahara on a peninsula very much liked the one you're using on your SC4 map called Nouadibou! Its more of a very small town really...your version is much better!

And the photoshop picture...perfect!

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

peter007

marsh

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. (Just making teasers) But I've been working on some stuff. Mostly for my new Region. [Will not be part of Gansbaai]

For a teaser it is a *wisperwisper* region. ::)

Any who What I am doing requires a lot of stuff not already made. So?.... Make my own.  ;D

First of all I made a terrain mod.

Avalible on the STEX --> http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=25493

However it is not 100% complete. I'm going to eventually add snow-caps to it, as well as make the textures at higher altitudes more varied. It is roughly based off areas of Colorado and South Dakota. A sandstone-shaded Prairie.

For some stuff in the region, I've made some mayor-mode plopables of Wild West style buildings.
The lot's are too big for many of these so MM plopables allow for more freedom when placing them.

And finally, not to do with this region, I've made some of frogface's slums into mayor-mode plopables as well.

cubby420

Marsh, you crafty son of a b...what are you up to?  ()what() My expectations are raised big time.  :thumbsup:

marsh

cubby420: And I hope I exceeded them.  ;)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Time to take a trip out of Gansbaai. To a far away land, both in distance as well as time. To circa. 1842. The time of...

The time of Cowboys and Indians...

...of stage coaches and train robberies...

...of ranchers and trappers...

...of gold mines and "Boom-towns"...

...of buffalo and wagon trains...

...a time of pristine, natural beauty.

,marsh