• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Royal Gansbaai Kingdoms - The End; A New Revolution

Started by marsh, May 12, 2010, 04:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i_love_lamp

my eyes just exploded from awesomeness. Thanksfkj sfioueagernaui ghaerug hdjf adjkfgio werugpaerign ergbueriapgh 9er8yt 34gjkdfgh

nbvc

Great work. The cities and landscape fit perfect together. &apls

noahclem

Wow, the region's coming along great! The beachside houses look really nice and the mosaics in your previous update are phenomenal. The fog effect was really neat too!

rooker1

The amount of realistic details that you have manage to add in to your city is incredible and makes me a little jealous.
Can I get a close up on two different places please.  The river transition between game water and plop water.  And that diagonal bridge, please.

Great work my friend, great work.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Girafe

Very good stuff here  ;)
like the "uncommon" way you build this desert city  :thumbsup:
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

nedalezz

I think we should ignore the comments and views requirements and move this MD straight to the "classic" section where it belongs.

This is just awesome, and whats even more impressive is how well you've captured 2 deceptively distinct architecture styles: The North African/Sahel and Arab styles. While alot might think they are one and the same, they arent, and you have done both justice.

marsh

Replies:

i_love_lamp: Lol, thanks. :)

nbvc: Thank you!  :)

noahclem: Thank you! I'm still trying to find more houses. I've lotted some of my own which I found in a prop pack, so on the actual update there will be more variety.  ;)

rooker1: Thanks! Where exactly are you talking about for the Plop water to in-game water transition? ATM I don't have any.  &mmm
And I'll show you the diagonal bridge eventually.  ;) Probably after I finish that river delta. I have lots that I haven't shown. In fact, about 3 entire large tiles. :-[

mightygoose: Thank you!  :)

Girafe: Thanks! I try to be as original as possible. Even on the most un-original things.  ()stsfd()

nedalezz: Lol. I'm not even half-way there yet.  :-[ And I'm glad you think I've gotton the architecture down good. Cause in reality I have never been to those places.  ;D

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

First of all.
Thank you to "Lowkee33", for providing lots of information on how to mod terrains from my questions and also from his tutorials.
Terrain Mod Tutorial - Basic - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11690.0
Terrain Mod Tutorial - Advanced - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11691.0

& Thank you to "Orange" For his PyreneanTerrainMod.
Link - http://www.toutsimcities.com/downloads.php?view=1641

Note- In the following Update I will be talking out of my ass. This is probably the most basic terrain modifying there is, yet I try to sound professional and smart. Please ignore that fact. I'm just trying to be nice and let everyone know how I got my terrain. Thanks!  ;D

So, recently I have found a great new terrain mod for Nouadhibou. Orange's Pyrenean Terrain Mod.But one problem. I have a desert region. However, I really love the textures @ sea-level. Solution, make those texture appear everywhere! I used pretty much this same thing to get my terrain for Lemsid, but with a different terrain mod.

So as I put Orange's terrain mod in, The textures at the sea are really nice. A very detailed and beautiful sand. However, higher elevations make grass. And this is a desert. Grass is a no-no.

So, there is a simple way to fix this!

I opened the program that reads living I's.

And then I opened the terrain mod file.

Went to the "Exemplar File"

Went to "Temperature Range Factor" and then "edit properties",

And changed the value from .33somthing, to a very high number. (20)

Opened SC4 and....

Whee. The textures are sandy from Sea-Level to the mountain tops!

I used a similar method to get my terrain for the region of Lemsid. (In the last update) Using Heblem's Yucatan terrain mod, and making it so that yellowish grasses at high altitudes appear at sealevel. Replacing the desert textures there.

I Hope this can help anyone out there trying to make terrain mods. You have to start with the simplest stuff, to move on to more advanced things.  ;)

canyonjumper

I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

travismking

I agree, i really like the terrain in both your regions :) quite unique and suit the cities quite well

cubby420

Tell me about it Jordan. Marsh has me on at least my fifth pair of prosthetic eyeballs  :o

Seriously marsh...keep up the awesomeness.

noahclem

Interesting terrain mod tweaking. Something to consider for the future....

Nice shots too as always, especially the lush creak in the last couple shots. Is the water in the earlier, urban ones real or plopped? And if real what have you done to it? Look forward to more soon  :thumbsup:

marsh

Hello. Today we venture out of the Gansbaai Kingdoms.  :)

I have 4 regions I've been working on. Why? I don't know. I just love doing different things in SC4. (Doing just a desert City would get boring after a while.) But having different things to keep me occupied keep me more interested in the game. I greatly enjoy trying different things.
My most recent venture has been a mid-western city.

This city isn't a greatly-detailed city like Nouadhibou & Lemsid. It's more of a realistic city. It's 100% grown. If a building I don't like comes up, I buldoze it until one I do comes, and then make it historical.

However my question is this,

Would you like to see more of this city?

Mostly asking because there are a lot of These styles of cities out there, and it might be very mainstream and boring?

I will work on it either if you all say yes or no. But if you say yes, I will post updates on it once in a while.
So, what do you think?

rooker1

Any work from you, no matter the tile or type of city it is, is worth seeing!

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Battlecat

Nice job touching up that terrain mod!  I quite like how it's sandy but has a touch of green here and there!  Your riverbank in that same update is just breathtaking!

Great looking city today!  I wouldn't mind a closer look at a few neighborhoods in this city.  I like the diagonal suburbs!

Tomas Neto

Would you like to see more of this city?

Oh yeah, I want!!! Fantastic city my friend, really very nice!!!  :thumbsup:

noahclem

Absolutely let's see more  :D  Variety is the spice of life! I look forward to viewing these neighborhoods closer up.

cubby420

Marsh, I feel strange about your transition to more typical fare and want to express my feelings about it. When I first saw this city, I thought...wow!...that's really cool! I'd love to see more of that! I'm sure you'd tackle this material with your own unique vision and attention to detail that mark the rest of you updates. But now, looking at the city a second time and revisiting some of your recent and older creations...I just feel kind of, disappointed. Your updates are something I look forward to because you're doing things no one else is even trying in sc4. I mean, the arctic, Middle Eastern, and North African cities you've constructed are special not just because of your talent and eye for unique styles, but because other people weren't even bothering to give them a shot. Hell, I still won't!  :D I wouldn't know where to start. I want to see that...the stuff that is breaking the barriers of what I and many others thought was possible in the game! If your more or less bored with the styles mentioned above, how about giving something new a try? Japanese or Chinese styled cities? Pacific islands? Just ideas. But, I do think your heart lies in creating exotic locations and pushing the boundaries.

Well that sure was long-winded.  %confuso Whatever you decide to do thought, I'm sure I'll be amazed. Peace - Andrew

io_bg

Don't even bother asking whether we want to see more from it! $%Grinno$%
Great tutorial from the previous update, gotta try that some time in the future :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November