• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Royal Gansbaai Kingdoms - The End; A New Revolution

Started by marsh, May 12, 2010, 04:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canyonjumper

Wow marsh, this looks like a great city! The El-Rail works perfectly!

Your friend,
                                  Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

marsh

Replies

Quote from: ecoba on September 07, 2010, 05:44:16 AM
Wow ! You've certainly put out some great work here in the past few days, my friend !

The update on the rail line was certainly fabulous, although I'm sad to see that the historical station had to go. But the rest of the rail line, and the whole city for a matter of fact, is just beautiful ! Great work !

Ethan :)

Thank you very much ecoba! I'm glad you've enjoyed the update! :)

Quote from: Battlecat on September 07, 2010, 08:40:28 AM
You're right, I do like that overview.  Looks like a fun section of coastline to work with.

I like the rail network in your last update as well!

Thankyou Battlecat. It has been very fun and theres a lot of interesting things going on ;)

Quote from: cubby420 on September 07, 2010, 08:59:09 AM
The new station certainly is huge! Gotta love the cold, unsympathetic movements of "progress". Great update.

Yup, It's sad to see things go. I personally liked that station, but a rail line so far into the city seemed strange too me, and there were no El-Rail Stations with that similar style  &mmm ... oh well.

Quote from: rooker1 on September 07, 2010, 10:54:26 AM
This city of yours is truly impressive in the way it looks and feels.  I really get a real life feeling while looking at these pics.  &apls
You keep entering the SC4D Picture Competition and you'll start to win! ;) especially if the pics are this good.

Robin  :thumbsup:

Thanks alot robin :) I am glad you also like it, and I hope I can keep up this quality. :)

Thank you very much for the support as well.  ;D

Quote from: kelis on September 09, 2010, 04:24:47 AM
Great job and Great city my friend ! I like the images and the region view

&apls &apls &apls

Thanks kelis! I hope you like anything that comes in the future! :)

Quote from: penguin007 on September 09, 2010, 02:09:04 PM
Wow this MD has blown me away!!! Brings back the memories of suplado's work!! I love your contrast of middle eastern, colonial and modern architecture

Will

Thank you Will :) I've been very inspired by suplado (of corse since its a middle east CJ.  :D) And also driftmaster/KoV_Liberties MD. Also, I did not really notice the different types of architecture I've been including. :D

Quote from: canyonjumper on September 10, 2010, 03:48:40 PM
Wow marsh, this looks like a great city! The El-Rail works perfectly!

Your friend,
                                  Jordan :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Jordan! :)

Djado airport is the only airport in Nouadhibou. Djado airport is highly congested, from planes coming in and out all over Northern Africa, Southern Europe And even some locations in the Middle East. The major congestion is not only from congested airspace, but also due it being a one-runway airport, and also the fact that a 4-lane boulevard crosses it. Which means traffic must come to a complete stop when planes land and takeoff.

A new airport is in the planning, to be built further out into the desert. This will significantly reduce congestion at the airport.

(Ive based this airport off of 2. The first is some Caribbean airport were planes takeoff/land right over the beach. Another is Gibraltar Airport, were a avenue crosses the runway. Why not build a tunnel? Cause this is so much more kick-ass.  :satisfied: )

Planes land primarily on the eastern side of the runway. Easterly winds from the ocean help the plane slow-down on the approach, making for an easier landing.
The runway was made on a artificial strip of land, for various reasons. The open ocean and also the large bay, both on each side of the Nouadhibou Peninsula, mean almost no buildings are going to be in the way. Another issue was land conservation. If the runway was parallel to the ocean, a lot of land would be used for nothing.

The Airport Terminal can only hold 8 planes, another reason for the heavy congestion. And even the small amount of un-used tarmac for waiting planes becomes a problem.

The Air Traffic Control Tower is located near the runway, away from the terminal. It was built just this year.

There is a small cargo terminal across the runway. It only has 2 small warehouses, and 2 fuel tanks.

Traffic always has to wait when planes cross the runway. "Stoplights" are at the intersection to hold the cars, along with many guards. Today the wait isn't that bad. Some days the traffic gets held up for 2 blocks.

Ill leave today with a teaser for something else in the city. :P

RickD

Cool location for an airport. First I was thinking, that must be a major interruption for traffic and that this would never be built in the real world. Then I saw your RL-picture...  :o
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

rooker1

Great update.
I know of another airport that the approach and take off go over the ocean....it's in Nice and was my first time ever experiencing something like that.  Scared me a little at first.

Call me Robin, please.

tankmank

WOW, i have to say that this MD is amazing and the last one was great and i can't wait to see more development on the town and perhaps some on the other side of the bay

ecoba

I have to agree with what Josh said above me, this MD is really breathtaking, and you've been creating some amazing work here. :)

This airport is really nice, apart from the fact that it is rather disruptive (:P), it really is well crafted. Your way of inter-mixing the two different types of terminals is very nice, and is rather seamless. Can't wait to see 'The Crescent' and more ! :)

Ethan

Earwhyckque

That's a nice airport you squeezed in there! I really like it when infrastructure doesn't function at all in SimCity... :D

QuoteIve based this airport off of 2. The first is some Caribbean airport were planes takeoff/land right over the beach.

I think you could mean Princess Juliana International Airport at Sint Maarten (Saint Martin).
You can find some impressive pictures like this one:

Battlecat

That's a very cool idea.  Great recreation of an airport with limited space!  Turned out great I think.

Tomas Neto

Totally different this update!!! Awesome, fantastic!!! Great work my friend!!!

kodlovag

Very interesting idea for an airport. Even if it exists in the real world. I just started to think about security issues...
Visit my MD, welcome to Archipelago

cubby420

Great stuff Marsh! One of your most interesting and unique updates yet  &apls  &apls

marsh

No replies right now, but just a teaser of something I've been working on.  :thumbsup:

Click the link for full-size. (1920x1080)
^^ Believe me its worth it.  ;)

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/9211/waterfall.png

ecoba

Amazing ! Really, that is a simply stunning picture. :)

Ethan

cubby420

penguin007

Amazing teaser there!! However the update before is one of the most imaginative I have ever seen. I am very much looking forward to your next update!!

Will

marsh

Coming in to Land:

RickD: Thanks man! If it wasn't for RL, I wouldn't of had this idea.  :P I have plenty of others though.  ;)

Robin: Thanks. There are a lot of interesting airports out there. Some with sloped runways, one where the runway is built like a bridge over the ocean  ::)

tankmank: Thank you. I have a lot of development to show, and I haven't even built there yet. I'll get there eventually. eventually....  ;)

ecoba: Thanks a lot man! I'm really glad you appreciate my work.  :)

Earwhyckque: Thanks, but actually it DOES function. (The road anyway. ::) ) Photoshop is my friend ;D.  And yes, that is the airport I was talking about. It must have amazing views from the beach.  :D

Battlecat: Thank you! I was surprised with myself aswell that I could fit it in there.  :D

Thomas Neto: Thanks a lot!  ;D

kodlovag: Thank you. And yes security is strange. Just guards. But you have to remember security isn't nearly as strict in other places of the world like the USA

cubby420: Thank you. :) I'm glad you thought it was unique.

Teaser

Tomas Neto: Thankyou!  :)

ecoba: thank you again!  :)

cubby420: Yes I am thinking about it... I just want to wait a bit... you know cause I just entered earlier.  :P

penguin007: Thank you very much!  ;D

This Update doesn't really have a main focus. Just mostly some major developments going on. So Enjoy.  ;D

East of Central Station, A massive building has arisen. The 2nd largest single-structure residential structure on earth. (largest not tallest)
The area it was built is a poorer area of town, but the land was cheap. This enhanced the large diversity between the rich and the poor.

The Gansbaai Kingdoms has the largest Middle-Class population in Africa. But there is a drastic transition in some areas. Mostly due to wealthy men buying the cheapest land for their new luxury buildings. In many cases, the cheapest land is in the slums.

before:

after:

A small commercial strip is appearing along Nouadhibou Avenue. This is not the only place Major commercial development along the avenue is. Down the entire length of it, major development is happening. The avenue is also being enlarged from a 4-lane avenue, to a 6-lane. Over 14,000 cars travel down it each day. (I got that from in-game values)

This... a kickass mosaic.
I have a 1920x11768 version(24mb) but I have no way to upload it... O_o

And finaly, 2 more mosaics. (Don't ya' just luv em' ? )

One more thing!

The Subway map has been updated.

nedalezz

That is just an awesome update! So creative, and sooo much going on, I really feel like Im being guided through a real city.

Your coastlines are phenomenal, and the city really does have an arabic vibe to it. Dont worry, you're arabic is perfect too, in the subway map :)

rooker1

I have to agree with Nedal.  Fantastic work, great coast lines and the city is just awesome to look at and all the small details you have not forgotten to add in make for great viewing pleasure.

Call me Robin, please.

tankmank