• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

BAT Showcase

Started by mattb325, February 01, 2007, 04:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badsim

Hi Matt ,

My admiration for your work is ...  ? ...  not so visible finally ! :P  While my MD walks from parisian to european rural inspirations , nonetheless , I've always seen your  BATs as highly inspiring ( so original and clever choices ! ) and your LotEditing is the most exquisite of the community ( I made my reputation with LotEditing  for a personal use but have never been able to release LOTs for the community ) .

My admiration for your work is , well : simply absolute . Thank you !  :thumbsup:

&apls &apls &apls   

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

Akallan

It's awesome!  ;D The cities will be more and more realistic if we have the possibility to put the appropriate buildings on the FAR networks, thank you for this work!
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

mattb325

Thankyou both!

Cedric, you are too kind and you sell your own skills way too short  :)...despite what most in the community think, lot editing is one of the trickiest skills to come to grips with. To be able to keep dependencies to a bare minimum, ensure a lot is lively and cohesive, and draw the eye in and around a space requires a good level of artistry and yet lot editors come in for the most criticism from many in the community.

To complement the large elementary school, here is a large high school. Go big or go home, I guess....the full lot weighs in at 12x12, but it gave me a good excuse to use KOSC's angled overlay textures (so this lot so far - has 3 dependencies in total - it will probably have another one as I can't remember which cars go on the circle and will wait until Simtrop is back up).

Overview:

Z5:

PS: a negative karma point to the first person who  tells me to get the 'pause remover' "$Deal"$

Obviously I still haven't done the FAR version, but the gymnasium at the back should support 45 degree roads/streets for a transition back to RCI

belfastsocrates

Quote from: mattb325 on October 07, 2018, 04:39:04 PM
lot editing is one of the trickiest skills to come to grips with. To be able to keep dependencies to a bare minimum, ensure a lot is lively and cohesive, and draw the eye in and around a space requires a good level of artistry

To complement the large elementary school, here is a large high school. Go big or go home, I guess....the full lot weighs in at 12x12, but it gave me a good excuse to use KOSC's angled overlay textures (so this lot so far - has 3 dependencies in total - it will probably have another one as I can't remember which cars go on the circle and will wait until Simtrop is back up).

I pride myself on my lot editing skills, it's an area I take great care and attention to as I don't posses the BATing skills. I'm on the other end of the scale though and happily use copious dependencies, but then I never release so I suppose I have that luxury!

That high school lot is perfectly sized and realistic. In the RW civics like this are generous lots in most countries and this is perfect for me. It's a wonderfully generic modern civics building you'd find in cities across the world and I mean that in the best possible way.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Kitsune

Those roof textures ...... wow ! I love that lot size.
~ NAM Team Member

Tyberius06

Quote from: mattb325 on October 07, 2018, 04:39:04 PM

(so this lot so far - has 3 dependencies in total - it will probably have another one as I can't remember which cars go on the circle and will wait until Simtrop is back up).

None of them, Matt! I used the same texture on one of my GLR terminals. Mushy-Mushy made a large prop which covers that special blended parking lot on KOSC's original set-up (it's in the Community Parks vol. 2 set as additional included dependency), where there is a 1 tile wide straight line with parking lots between the two blended halves. I already asked Mushy, and she was planning to help me out and make a similiar prop set which would cover the same overlay setup what you and me used (without the gap). However I'm not sure when it's going to happen...

Awesome lot and building anyway. It's huge. :)  &apls &apls
I couldn't keep the dep list so low. I made my essential using a bunch of props from others to make a full and very detailed timed prop set. That involves 20+ dependencies by itself.
The lowest dep list what I could do was about 7-ish for one of the GLR stations what I made and the SG-CAL canal Expansion with 6.

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

mattb325

Thanks guys...thanks for the heads up Tibi! No wonder! It was listed as 'tennis' and is a different size (there I was looking for car  ::) )

I just whipped up a car coven to fit this configuration and it certainly doesn't even attempt to hold a candle to any of the wonderful automata makers out there. Consider this merely filling a gap... :D

Just in case there is any mis-understanding, I am not against dependencies. My comments refer to the put downs to lot-makers from those who are: such put-downs mean that so many incredible lots never get released.

omgitskosc

Beautiful school. I love how you're always seemingly able to strike that perfect blend of quality buildings with solid and pleasing lots. The fact that you usually achieve this with minimal dependencies is all the more impressive!

Are those upscaled versions of some of the Maxis car props? Pretty cool you managed to work that into the curves.

I'm really happy to see those softball and FA fields put to use. ;D

mattb325

Quote from: omgitskosc on October 07, 2018, 07:30:50 PM
Are those upscaled versions of some of the Maxis car props? Pretty cool you managed to work that into the curves.

I'm really happy to see those softball and FA fields put to use. ;D

Thanks! I have to give a shout out to Bixel who extracted the Maxis textures for those cars. He also released the car models over on simtropolis (no idea what the link is, as it's down), but that was in an old version that I can't get to work in my 3DSMax so I just remade the meshes from scratch

bladeberkman

OMG, I'm blown away. As others have said, this a brilliant BAT and smart lotting. Actually, at first glance I thought it was a museum. 
&apls &apls &apls

Andreas

Now this looks pretty unique alright! Definitely an eye-catcher with all those angled textures, and the parking loop is the icing on the cake. I really like the size of the lot, which probably can supply enough room for all students of a city, so you don't have to plaster dense neighborhoods with lots of schools. And speaking of students, I bet they love such a lush campus with lots of green, sports facilities and recreation spots, compared to some cramped, all-concrete school yard.
Andreas

c.p.

I'm in complete awe looking at all the work you've been doing here.  I love all the unique, interesting ideas and designs. :thumbsup:

Akallan

Very nice BAT, as usual! It may be silly, but the idea of round parking and great in my opinion, it breaks a little with the grid. Everything is great! &apls
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

art128

That's a pretty looking high school building. Though I probably won't use it as a high school, as it won't fit in my style of region. However I'm sure it can easily pass as an office building. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Alan_Waters

264 megabytes of your plugins. I am proud of myself and you!  :satisfied:

fantozzi

Quote from: Alan_Waters on October 11, 2018, 08:01:53 AM
264 megabytes of your plugins. I am proud of myself and you!  :satisfied:

Warning! Warning! Never try to zip-compress all of Matt's bats at once. You will get this:

mattb325

Thanks everyone!  :thumbsup:

The two schools are inspired by real ones on opposite sides of the planet. A prize * given to anyone who can guess the inspiration for the elementary and high schools.

CP it's good to see you back...let's hope that means you'll pick up batting again this Northern Winter  :thumbsup:

The car coven is indeed silly...it really isn't intended to mimic anything close to a real set-up. That's the joy of pixels on a screen  ;)

PS, if I try to zip-compress my work, it's more like passing gall stones  :P

Speaking of painful things, I have uploaded another few bats:

The 'Like' Factory. Just a silly bat that was inspired by seeing companies advertise 'likes' on social media platforms for sale:

Here: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3695

Peerless JAL Manufacturing. A real company and real building. It's just an example of a light industrial BAT that is in the manufacturing space, but isn't so toxic looking that you have to keep it away from other R and C development (similar to most of the industrial areas that are found adjacent to suburbia):

Here: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3698

And lastly, the Lodge, Mayors House Reward

Here: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3698

*To claim prize, claimant must be a permanent resident of Macquarie Island

Kitsune

These days... you can buy youtube views, facebook likes, yelp ratings .. you name it, yes you can buy it.
~ NAM Team Member

bladeberkman

I have basically liked all of your posts since the introduction of the like button. Regardless, I swear I don't work for the Like Factory.  :thumbsup:

mattb325

Thanks guys! I am super grateful, and thankfully I don't have to pay for the likes, or I'd go broke  :D

Back to FAR project: a town-hall....obviously the FAR lot isn't done yet. This town hall even comes complete with a piece of pointless 'civic art' that is hideously expensive.