• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Metarvo's village

Started by metarvo, November 07, 2009, 09:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metarvo

Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

tooheys

COMPETITION 1 - THE VILLAGE
ENTRIES CLOSE 3/12/2009 12 MIDNIGHT

Hi

Just a reminder that you are running out of time to finalise your entry for
the first Thematic Comp. Entries will close 12 Midnight 3/12/2009. I don't think we
have any entrants between west coast USA and the dateline, so lets say midnight
west coast USA time as the deadline.

In anticipation of judging, please ensure that your entry is contained in one clearly
marked post within your thread as we will be moving your entry to another
board for judging.

Goodluck

metarvo

This is the small town of General, population 1,507.  It is located on F-7, a north-south freeway, and it is also server by R-50, a major east-west road, and S-159, a minor north-south road.  The connections, along with some points of interest, are highlighted on this map.

Here are the books.  Unfortunately, General is losing money, but this is understandable for a small town.  General has yet to take out any loans, but that will probably change soon.

Every week, faithful citizens show up at First Church.  It may be small, but then again, so is the town.

A pathway leads from First Church to First Cemetery.  Some of the departed Generalites that are buried here were the ones that purchased the ground on which the cemetery was established.

This is General City Hall, located right next door to First National Bank.  All of the small city's government is located within these four walls.

This is downtown General.  Once upon a time, practically all of this town's business took place within this block, but the parking lots seem strangely empty today.  Notice the presence of General City Park, which is located one block to the west of downtown.

Here are where all of the shoppers have gone.  Yes, this is Wal-Mart, the small town superstore.  It may seem strange that a large retail chain would build a store in General, but it actually finds small towns quite attractive.  Apparently, it seems to be getting plenty of business.

For many Generalites, Friday night is the highlight of the week during the fall.  High school football games always draw good crowds here, because there's honestly not very many other things going on in General at night.

Eating out, next to Friday night games and Wal-Mart shopping trips, is the favorite activity of most Generalites.  However, there are no fancy five-star restaurants here.  Even if there were, most residents couldn't afford them.  So, a trip to McDonald's for hamburgers is the only real option.

Although General lacks the high paying jobs that some big cities have, most citizens are able to get by just fine with the manufacturing jobs available here.

For some reason, the mayor chose an unusual part of town to live in.  His neighbors include a salvage yard and the water pump facility.  It is rumored that he chose this location because of lower land values, which would equate to lower costs and lower taxes.  Even a mayor has to think about these things at times.

This is the southbound General exit from F-7.  Most interstate travelers don't bother to exit here to see the town, but General residents see the freeway as a quick route to the big city.

These farmers were actually glad to allow the utility company to build this power line over their land, since they all received fair amounts of money.  The town of General doesn't use any of the power from this line, though.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.

jmyers2043

Nice rural town.   :thumbsup:  I like the power lines and the alley. I also like the church and probably would have used the same for my own entry if I knew where it was (hint hint) ...

Good Luck

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

metarvo

Thanks for the compliment, Jim.  :)

The church is off-site.  Here is the [off-site linkie].

tooheys

COMPETITION 1 - THE VILLAGE
ENTRIES CLOSE 3/12/2009 12 MIDNIGHT

Hi metarvo

We see you have completed your entry and it would appear to comply with
the rules of the competition.  :thumbsup:

In a few days, we will be copying your entry across to the Judging Board
where the SC4d public will select the winner by way of poll.

Goodluck  :)

Dave

thingfishs

yeah, nice in General...
Good, realistic town layout. I like the power lines too & I hate to say it (in a village competition) but that night shot of mcdonalds looks pretty good. Which version is that?
The wal-mart does seem a tad big, but I guess it depends on what's beyond the city limits (certainly those power lines & the highway are indicating something fairly big around the corner.)

Battlecat

Great little town!  Those farms look great, particularly the powerlines running through the area!  The mayor's choice of neighbors made me chuckle! 

metarvo

This is Sail Valley, a small town.  The construction of the Kaiser Wilhelm Cathedral attracted people to the area, who brought businesses with them.

Kaiser Wilhelm is located on Greenside Creek.  It draws quite a crowd on Sunday mornings, as illustrated by the parking lot.  This church truly is the heart of Sail Valley.  After all, the community was built around it.

Even so, not everyone shares this sentiment.  A church split led to the construction of Second Church on the edge of town.  Although this church is not nearly as large as Kaiser Wilhelm, it does have a small but loyal congregation.

There are several fine homes to be found in Sail Valley.  Although some of them are older homes, most of them have been remodeled and equipped with modern kitchens, state-of-the-art climate control systems, and home theater rooms.  Downtown consists of one block of historic buildings.

The plaza in front of Kaiser Wilhelm borders the waterfront walkway, which provides citizens and tourists alike with a nice view of Greenside Creek.

Greenside Creek enters Sail Valley via a system of locks, providing safe passage for small boats.  To the north of Kaiser Wilhelm is another residential area, which happens to contain the only apartment building in town.

Sail Valley gets its electric power from this substation, which is the termination point for a 138 kV transmission line.  Two farms have been established in this area as well.