• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Hi, Newbie with a couple Newbie questions

Started by baxer5, April 23, 2013, 07:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baxer5

Hi, dusted off my old copy of SC4 Deluxe to play it again.  Last I played (a long time ago) I never really "played" the game as I always just ended up building a small section of the city and using driving missions cash to keep the coffers up.

But alas, now I want to build a city the real simcity way, lol.  I was simply looking for a Mod to make it so that the traffic would not "phase" in and out, like actually cars would just drive their route to their destination ect... and I've come across this whole NAM thing.  I've read alot but mostly it just talking about what the new version fixes and addons that plug into it.  Its all greek to me and some of the literature is written as though I was about to build a rocket ship.

Aside from adding some wider roads, roundabouts, textures, ect.... ,  What does NAM actually do functionality wise in simple terms other than relieving some traffic choke points?  Does it allow you to make it so the traffic doesn't fade in and out like I was initially trying to find?  I don't need super deep customization options, just some simple and I really hate that "traffic" phasing in an out, Id rather watch my sims drive to work and get stuck in traffic like they normally would.

Thanks in advance

Magneto

In addition to what you mentioned, NAM also comes with a trafic controller that fixes many bugs from the original maxis controller so it is strongly recommended to install at minimum the controller for a much more enjoyable experience.
Sure it comes with a plethora of options, and the numerous choices you have to make can be a bit overwhelming if you haven't played for a long time.
For a first install it might be advisable not to select all options: save the NWM and especially the RHW (which takes time to master) for later, when you have the grip with the rest.
As for your phase in/phase out traffic problem, it seems that you're referring to automata (the vehicles displayed in the game to simulate traffic activity). In this case, what you need is the "persistent automata mod" which prevents automata from vanishing in the blue.
This mod is available as one of the optional components of the NAM. Or, if you prefer, you can get it as a standalone mod here: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23362-persistent-automata-mod/

APSMS

Magneto is correct. The traffic controller is probably a key component for any SC4 player, whether or not you want a lot of mods/plugins, as it help relieve the commute-time related abandonment issue (something I had great trouble with before I installed it), as well as making roads, highways, and mass-transit much more useful and used (i.e. more profitable). It also has the potential to make your transportation networks look more like those found in real-life cities, rather than just the SimWorld, so cosmetics is a large part of the general appeal (though YMMV).

However, it sort of is for everyone, as all of the extra options can easily be ignored if you want to. And the persistent automata mod does work well, but don't expect miracles; the fading cars is a direct result of the game's DirectX graphics drivers, so only so much can be done (e.g. it's unlikely that you'll actually see a sim car go all the way from home to work in the morning commute, esp. since automata only spawn on roads and never pull into driveways--this isn't SC2013, after all).

Unfortunately the documentation is a little dense, so the rocket-ship comparison is a bit apt, though considering how Maxis designed the game (and traffic simulator) it is not necessarily the fault of the NAM Team.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation