• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

True Earth

Started by korver, May 04, 2016, 08:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akallan

Unbelievable! Your BATs are very well done, the marshes are simply breathtaking! :popcorn:
My CJ :

My european road textures project : S N T - v.2.1

reddonquixote

Wow.. lots of amazing updates I've missed. I think my favourite thing about your scenes is how you manage to successfully overcome "the grid".

You've done a great job with the BATs you made, including the textures. Its great seeing some RDQ prop-pack releases being put to such great use as well  :thumbsup:

I'd like to know what you used to do the stony edges around the dam in the vineyards image - is that MMPs or a terrain mod?

Orlando power station is really well done  &apls &apls

Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

korver

- UPDATE 30: Tour of Africa (East Africa) -

The tour continues on as we make our way to Madagascar and the many unique destinations that dot the shorelines. Our first stop however, will be at one of the many quaint fishing villages along the shore. The friendly locals have been fishing in these waters for centuries, and it remains one of the most vital economic activities in this part of the world.

After a couple of days driving through the barren landscapes of rural Madagascar - we finally reach the stunning natural wonder of Isalo Massif. This national park is well known for its unique plant and animal life - and looks like something that came straight out of the Jurassic era. Hiking is popular in these parts, but do be careful - many of the rocks here are crumbling and it can be a long ways down..

On the west coast of Madagascar is where you'll find one of its most famed attractions - the endless forests of baobab trees. These are some of the most unique trees in the world - reaching heights as tall as 100 ft, they're hard to miss - and every trip to Madagascar should include a visit here. However, as with many natural wonders across the world - human activity has had a profound impact here, and could continue to cause bigger issues down the road. The trees originally didn't grow in isolated patches, but were once instead part of a great forest - one that's been cut down to a small fraction of its original size. While the locals have left the baobabs as a sign of respect, it should be noted that this area isn't a national park and could very well be subject to further deforestation and human activity in the years to come.

Not too far away from the baobabs is where you'll find another one of Madagascar's wonders - Tsingy de Bemaraha National Park. These majestic karst formations have been carved into razor sharp pinnacles by groundwater and the elements, and this dramatic forest of stone is a destination that you won't want to miss. Plenty of unique plants and animals are found here as well, thriving in the unique elements - making for a truly unique trip.

We board our boat and make our way back to the mainland, where we'll spend the next couple of days visiting a few more of the stunning villages that dot the shorelines of Mozambique. Between the pristine blue water, unique architecture, and perfect weather - there's few places in Africa that can rival their beauty.

We move into the mainland, and the next destination is the wildlife haven of Serengeti National Park in northern Tanzania. With plentiful populations of giraffes and other unique animals, its a must-visit destination - and if you're lucky, you might even spot a couple of rare black rhinos along the way as well. Be on the lookout though for giraffe in particular  - you never know when they might cross the road, feet away from your car..

The last stop is one of Africa's most beautiful and deadly locations - the stunning crater and lava lake of 11,385 foot tall Mount Nyiragongo. This volcano has a long history of violent eruptions, and with the last eruption coming in 2016 - you never know when it might be set off again. For the particularly adventurous tourist - you can hike up to the steep crater rim and take in stunning views of the world's largest lava lake.

(No photoshop used - this goes for the previous one too. The lava lake is a big custom texture & prop I made, along with a couple Maxis smoke animations.)

-korver

---

Replies

bladeberkman: Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Tyberius06: Thanks for the comment, appreciate it :)

kelis: Thank you for the kind words kelis!

Simmer2: Thank you! :thumbsup:

Alan_Waters: Thank you! Hopefully I'll find time in the future to put it to good use :thumbsup:

manga rivotra: Thanks for the comment! I spent a while making sure those textures looked just right -I really wanted them to blend in like you mentioned :)

Akallan: Thank you for the nice comment, glad you liked it :)

reddonquxiote: Thanks for the kind words - always nice to hear that from you regarding the BATs :) Your prop pack has been truly been invaluable for some of the scenes I've been working on too - and I hope to find more uses for it in the future. As for the rocky edges, I used nbvc's Rock 'n' Stones: http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27092-rock-n-stones/. I will note though that I made a duplicate copy of the MMP, shrunken 50% with model tweaker for some finer detailing - but I think you should be fine with just the base set.

vester

H Korver

Dont reply a lot on your MD. Do press like on most of your posts (if not all)

Had an old (old=not very active) BSC member stop over in his way back, yesterday.

Let just say it, he WAS amazed and so am I, every update your post

BTW: You ask on an earlier update if your should up load your content. The answerd there is: YES, YES, YES. please do!!!

&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

Looking forward to your post kesh (marrakesh), the red city.

korver

- UPDATE 31: Tour of Africa (Central Africa) -

The tour resumes as we look towards one of Africa's most iconic natural wonders - the legendary Mount Kilimanjaro. Standing some 19,341 feet tall - its Africa's tallest mountain and one of its most popular climbing destinations. Despite its height, its a relatively easy climb - its essentially a big trek to the top - but what you do need to watch out for here is the very real risk of altitude sickness. While the top might not be as impressive as it once was with many of its iconic glaciers melting due to climate change - it still offers some of the most incredible views the world has to offer.

From Kilimanjaro, we travel north into Kenya to witness some of Africa's most stunning wildlife. Our first stop is the incredible Masai Mara National Reserve - home to some of the best wildlife on the face of the planet. You'll find elephants, giraffes, zebras, lions, wildebeest, and countless others roaming these lands - even with declining numbers in recent years, there's still plenty here to observe and stare at in awe. The best way though to view them though is high above in a hot air balloon - despite the cost, its still certainly an experience that you won't want to miss out on.

We continue north to another one of Kenya's wildlife gems - the incredible Lake Logipi. This algae-infested rift valley lake is home to countless lesser flamingos each year during migration - they make for a truly stunning sight among the many hot springs and geysers that dot the shoreline.

Further north is where you'll find what some call the world's biggest swamp: the Sudd of South Sudan. The very name "Sudd" is Arabic for barrier or obstruction - and that's just what this swamp has been for thousands of years for the locals and outsiders alike. Not even the Roman Empire could get past it - Emperor Nero himself sent his troops up the White Nile, but the Sudd prevented any further colonization. These swamps have also have made the search for the source of the White Nile particularly difficult - its simply that big and difficult to navigate. Despite the nature of the swamps, the locals have lived here for thousands of years, usually setting up small huts on various islands across the swamps. Although seeing wildlife here can be rare - its still possible to see a thundering herd of elephants now and then making their way across the swamp.

We begin making our way back down south through the rural landscapes of the Great Rift Valley. For as far as the eye can see, the lands here are crossed by an intricate pattern of huts and farmland, providing the locals just enough to make a living off of.

Our final stop in Central Africa is another one of Africa's premier natural wonders - majestic Victoria Falls. The tribes here call it "the smoke that thunders" - which seems quite fitting as you can hear the water cascading down these sheer cliffs from miles away. At 355 feet tall, these might not be the world's tallest waterfalls - but they're certainly one of the most awe-inspiring - and a destination that anyone visiting here won't want to miss.

(No photoshop used on the scene below)

-korver

---

Replies

vester: Thank you for the kind words - always cool to hear that about my work (especially from older players too :)) I'm planning on releasing a lot of stuff eventually - but my schedule is going to be really really tight until the end of the year so finding time to perfect everything and get it "release ready" will be difficult. In the mean time though, anything is available upon request :)

Alan_Waters

Unattainable height! Watching your work is a pleasure!  &apls &apls &apls

kelis

As I wrote you on Simtropolis, the full update is fantastic, but the last pic/Gif is just stunning, great job as always. I really enjoy with your cj, I'm visiting some nice places around Earth.
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

Tyberius06

It's really amazing. The waterfall is so nice! I like that you showed that one without any photo editing (photoshop) :) Thanks for that! :)

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Themistokles

Totally fenomenal! Especially love the Rift Valley shot.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

korver

- UPDATE 32: Tour of Africa (West Africa) -

Our tour resumes in West Africa - and for anyone traveling across this landscape, you'll find countless mud and thatched roof huts dotting the land for as far as the eye can see. The ones we see here in Rural Congo are simple, yet beautiful - they've been a staple for the locals for thousands of years, and for good reason. They're easy and efficient to build - and they withstand the elements fairly well.

We travel further west through Nigeria and into Benin, but from this point forward, the only transportation option is by boat. We've entered one of the many swampy lagoons that dot the shoreline, and with a little help from the locals, we'll soon find one of the most unique destinations in all of Africa.

We've made it to Ganvie, Benin - called the "Venice of Africa", there's really nothing else like it in the world. When translated into English, Ganvie literally means "we survived" - a reminder of events that happened hundreds of years ago. The Tofinu people that lived in the area needed a way to escape the slave trade - so they moved to stilt houses on top of the surrounding Lake Nokoué. It was their only option - and they were finally able to find peace here.

West Africa is known particularly well for its beautiful beaches and scenery - and few can compare to the ones you might find on the coastlines of Ghana. With their natural beauty and an occasional shipwreck or two like the ones found in Fete - these beaches have attracted countless tourists from across the globe.

As we make our way further west through the dense jungle, its a common sight to see local markets dot the landscape in countries such as Guinea. Just about everything imaginable is sold here - livestock, poultry, yams, sweet potatoes, and of course, lots and lots of green bananas. We take a look around, picking up a couple pieces of authentic African clothing as well - a beautiful reminder of our tour.

Although elephants have been hunted to the point of near extinction in West Africa due to the demand for their ivory tusks, there's still a number of places to find them if you look hard enough. Niokolo-Koba National Park in Senegal is one of the best remaining spots, and jungle safaris are one of the most popular tourist attractions. Move slowly, though - you never know when a wild chimpanzee might dart across the road in front of you..

Our last stop is one of the most historically important cities in all of West Africa - Timbuktu. This desert city was once a great trading post for goods traveling from West to North Africa - back in the 1300s, you might have even seen the legendary Mansa Musa (emperor of the Kingdom of Mali) pass through these streets with his caravan. Musa himself played a pivotal role in this history of Timbuktu - with a net worth of over $400 billion, he built mosques wherever he went. This included the great Djinguereber Mosque back in 1327, among others - all of which would be turned into universities and helped to turn Timbuktu into a great educational city as well. When you walk through these streets, you really feel like your stepping back in time - not much has changed over the years, and its truly a one of a kind experience.

-korver

---

Replies

Alan_Waters: Thank you for the nice comments Alan, much appreciated :)

feyss: Thank you :thumbsup:

kelis: Thank you! Glad you liked the gif - I've been trying to work those into my updates recently when possible :)

Tyberius06: Thanks for the comment! I haven't been using as much editing anyways these days - but I did want to have some unedited pics too.

Themistokles: Thanks for the kind words - glad you enjoyed it :)

kelis

Well done !! I never heard about Ganvie, I've been reading a little bit about its story and I found it very interesting.

Thank you Korver for these updates and for these wonderful places that you show us  &apls &apls

P,S: How do you make those GIF ?
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

metarvo

Finally there's more to Timbuktu in SC4 than merely a pre-installed region.  ;D  I'm mesmerized by the terrain in this update; the crowds, the wildlife, and the trees make this feel like it's not even a game anymore.  I wish I was on that safari through that national park.  :)

Moving back to the previous update, it's hard to tell it's a grid-based game with farms that are laid out so naturally.  Victoria Falls is nice, too — I had to do a triple-take.  ;D

Beautiful, Korver.  Just beautiful.

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Simmer2

Sublime!  &apls &apls

(You better stop, I'm running out of superlatives) :D

Nick
________________________________________________________________________________

Alan_Waters

Fantastic!  ::)
Particularly I was finished off by fishermen in boats. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

korver

Thanks for the comments everybody :)

kelis - The rain effect in the shipwreck scene was actually a photoshop effect I used (I pretty much just made 6 different variations of a rain effect I was using and turned it into an animation). The rest of them though recently have been recorded directly from the game, using a program called "ScreenToGif".

korver

- UPDATE 33: Tour of Africa (North Africa) -

The tour continues as we venture into North Africa, and our first destination is the ancient royal capital city of Fez, Morocco. In the heart of Fez's medina (an ancient walled city, without streets) you can find the stunning Chouara Tannery, one of Africa's most unique wonders. For nearly a thousand years, the locals have been tanning and dying their hides here - if you can get past the pungent odor (its suggested to hold mint leaves near your nose while visiting) it's a destination that you won't want to miss.

After an extended trek through the Sahara Desert - we find ourselves at the shores of one of Africa's disappearing wonders, the once great Lake Chad. Climate change and overuse by the locals have turned much of the lake bone dry, and its estimated that the lake is only about 1/20 of the size it once was back in the 1960's. While much of the lake is long gone - there's still a number of small communities dotting the receding shorelines, with the locals adapting to the changes and making the best of what they have.

We venture back out into the Sahara - and for anyone traveling in these parts, its vital to know where the closest oasis is. Water is a precious resource here - and it could be hundreds of miles before you find the next closest source.

After traveling east through the seemingly endless Sahara Desert - we finally reach the Red Sea. This salty, hot sea is some to some of the most unique animals and underwater flora in the world, and the coral reefs here are quite amazing. While other coral reefs around the world are slowly dying due to climate change - the ones here are unique in the fact that they don't bleach and are extraordinarily resistant to rising temperatures.

We travel into Egypt - and no visit is complete without a trip to the legendary Nile River. The world's longest river runs through the heart of the country, providing farmers much needed water and making this one of the most populated regions in all of North Africa. Riverboats run for much of the rivers length here, making it an excellent way to get up close views of the surrounding villages and archeological sites.

The tour wraps up with one of the most famous landmarks in world and the only remaining wonder of the ancient world - The Pyramids of Giza. These unmistakable structures were built by the rulers of ancient Egypt back in 3000 BCE - primarily as tombs for pharaohs and queens. Despite the fact that their sparkling white limestone exterior is long gone, as well as many of the surrounding structures - they've stood the test of time like few structures on the face of the planet. Be sure to visit at night - the entire complex comes to life as the pyramids are lit up - an unforgettable sight.

-korver

---

Replies

kelis: Thanks for the comment! Always cool to hear that about my work :) I hope my other reply cleared things up (I use ScreenToGif mostly).

metarvo: Thanks for the kind words! I wanted to show people the "other" Timbuktu ;D I'm glad you liked it!

Simmer2: Thanks for the comment! :) There's still plenty more to come though, so don't worry ;)

Alan_Waters: Thank you! :) Glad you enjoyed it!

vester

Wow. You just keeps me amazed, nothing less.

&apls &apls &apls

I was almost expecting to see a picture of the blue men of the desert walking over a sand dune. ;)

Their skin have a blue tone from the dye used to color their clothes.

Do hope you would release all your bats, maybe as prop packs.

Themistokles

My god.

I just dropped my jaw and it got all sandy. How do you even do this, and at that speed as well?
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

vinlabsc3k

Sorry for the lack of comments, but no internet in my vacation (intentionally).
Now I'm back and although repetitive the last two and half pages are amazing!! :o
:) &apls :) &apls :) &apls :) &apls :) &apls
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!