• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Lightning

Well, looks like someone did their roadgeek homework  $%Grinno$% Awesome update as always Alex! I like how you dressed up the mulitway boulevard. The grass and trees make it look more desirable.
Also, even though your city is kinda griddy, the variations and sloping of the density make the grid look good and makes the city flow. Nicely done  :thumbsup:

I'm gonna keep my eyes out for the next update ;)

Vince
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Battlecat

Nice start on the downtown, there are some pretty cool buildings there already.  Lots of room left for growth though.  Looking forward to more as always. 

As for the local access roads, we also have something very similar along the rural portion of the main freeway where I live.  They are called the north and south parallel roads (not terribly imaginative names, but they get the point across), and they maintain access to farms and roads that would otherwise be isolated by the freeway when it went in. 

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Well, as promised, I'm back again for replies.  And I've got another update in store for you after that.

Also, a couple milestones . . . we've surpassed 50k views (and are approaching 51k), and Tarkusian Cities celebrated it's second birthday on June 17th.  The first update occurred back in 2007--hard to believe it's been that long.

UPDATE 51 REPLIES

Pat: Hehe . . . I should have been so hasty to use the "i word" it seems. :D  Glad you enjoyed the update, and don't worry--you won't have to wait until the big 100 for another Tarkusian Video.  I'm still trying to decide what city/region I should focus on for the next one.

TmiguelT:  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it, and it does sound a little sci-fi-ish. :D  And I hear you about those late nights. ;) 

deathtopumpkins: Thanks for the compliments on the construction--the road is indeed getting a fair amount of use there.  And you'll be seeing plenty of that development here soon . . . as there's a couple other construction projects that take place right in that vicinity coming up.  And I really should stop using that word. :D

metarvo:  I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it--thanks!  You did indeed see some of that area in the video, too, which was actually shot after the residential area started in Update 51 had been built.  And I was thinking the same thing with the night construction--they tend to do it here on the more major thoroughfares to minimize disruption.  Just have to make sure you don't wake up the neighbors with the jackhammers. :D 

sebes:  LOL, thanks for the recommendation.  :D  And yes, it is indeed best to stay away during the sand-shoveling--it usually involves lots heavy machinery being used with reckless abandon here.  ::)

Corey (Nexis4Jersey):  Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it--and there shall be plenty more building here soon. ;)

Jon (bakerton):  Thanks for the kind words!  Hope it's been worth the wait!

Joan (Jmouse): Thanks for the great comment--I'm sure TDOT will be quite pleased.  Of course, the widened Los Endos Blvd is already starting to show signs of congestion again . . . and the solution to that will likely involve more modding. 

I'm happy to hear you liked the 75th Street extension, too--the residents are indeed finding it to be an easy way to get around.  As far as those powerpoles, I'm using Fukuda's, which can be picked up from the STEX.

Dave (bighead99):  Thanks, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it!  I rather like how that intersection turned out, too.

Arthur (art128):  Thanks--I've always been rather keen on the process end of things as well. :)

Driftmaster07:  Welcome to Tarkusian Cities, and thanks for the kind words!  As far as the Avenue-Road Smooth Transition, that will likely be included in a future NAM update.  That piece has kind of ended up on the backburner . . . I still have it laying around here with a few things to fix on it--it's missing pedestrian paths and the CheckTypes need to be fixed in the RUL to make it plop easier.

Battlecat: Thanks for the congratulations, and for the compliments on the video!  I've always been fascinated with road construction, so I can't help but try to emulate it here in SC4--one of these days, I might have to do a video showing how I set up these construction updates in-game.

j-dub: Hehe . . . I often find myself thinking about the various RL projects I've seen when planning what to do next with this MD.  Sounds like your 75th Street is getting quite the massive upgrade, too.  I look back at some of the roads around the area where I grew up (Aloha, OR), and if it weren't for my navigational sense and frequent checking of local road jurisdiction websites, I wouldn't know where I was.  It's amazing just how much stuff changes sometimes.

UPDATE 52

Dustin (thundercrack83):  Thanks for the welcome back, my friend!  It's great to be going on this MD again.  I'm glad you enjoyed the Multi-Way Boulevard project--that word has been thrown around a lot in Eugene lately (there's a couple proposed), and I couldn't help but try to work it into an update somewhere.  I'm curious to see what you come up with, too!  Hope you enjoy this latest installment!

Arthur (art128):  Thanks for the all-too-kind words!  I'm very flattered to hear you found it realistic, and the C Street/Mill Street pic is perhaps my favorite as well. 

metarvo: Very good guess on the highway renumbering!  In fact, you'll be seeing Highway 60 running through at least one other region here in a future update.  There's a little more to it as well--namely geographic positioning of the highway and the City of Los Endos.  A little hint of things to come:

[img=http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4678/oregonrepublicsquarer.th.png]http://

And thanks for the compliments on the Multi-Way Boulevard!

Jon (bakerton): Thanks, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the update.  We've got a few proposed here, but none built yet really that I'm aware of.  We do have setups like you mentioned, though--usually, there in areas where the road has been widened quite a bit, but the old alignment has been preserved in part for local access.

deathtopumpkins:  Thanks--Los Endos is probably the biggest downtown I've built for some time now.  It does kind of seem to appear out of nowhere . . . like many downtowns here tend to.  And I'm glad you liked the brochure--that was exactly what I was going for!  Couldn't resist slipping in a few engineering buzzwords (like "context-sensitive"), either.  :D  That's an interesting idea concept the grade-separation, too.  The traffic volume here doesn't quite warrant that yet, but that's a great idea that I may have to experiment with!

Vince (Blue Lightning):  Yes, I guess they did.  :D  Thanks for the kind words on the update and on the Multi-Way Boulevard in particular--I'm really pleased with how it came out.  And a great observation on the grid/density/sloping thing, too.  I tried to vary the grid size as well a bit, too . . . the grid west of 0th is actually a bit larger than that to the east.  Hope your eyes enjoy this latest update!

Battlecat:  Thanks for the compliments on the downtown!  I've got a fair amount of Cerulean, SimGoober and ks_jpn stuff in there as I recall, all on Stage 9-11 CAMeLots.  I'm not done expanding it yet, either--I'll see about putting an update on how things are going there.

We've got some similar stuff to what you're talking about here as well, particularly along Interstate 84 through the Columbia Gorge.  Before I-84 went in, US-30 was the main east-west highway in North-Central Oregon, and they've actually left parts of the old alignment right next to the freeway as two-way frontage roads.  It's always kind of interesting to see what the various transportation departments do with old sections of roadway when building freeways.

And now for more construction:

NE 57th Street Extension and Los Endos Blvd Bridge Replacement

This project is designed to extend 57th Street beyond E Los Endos Blvd to provide better access to the Midland Hi-Tech area, as well as to connect to a future east-west arterial to be built north of Highway 60.  The new roadway will consist of 5 lanes and be built to a 45mph design speed.  It is a joint effort between TDOT and the City of Los Endos.

In addition to this project, the City of Los Endos, utilizing Delos County Traffic Impact Fee funding, paid for by the developers of new residential construction in East Los Endos, will construct a new 4-lane bridge on E Los Endos Blvd over Hammerhead Lake, to replace the obsolete 2-lane facility currently in place.  During the construction, motorists will be detoured onto NE 50th Street, Highway 60 and NE 31st Street.

Here is a map showing this area of this project:

The existing, outmoded 2-lane bridge facility on E Los Endos Blvd (facing north)

The old bridge is dramatically demolished with explosives. (facing north)

The new bridge, an attractive steel arch design, is now built and open to traffic (facing north)

Now onto the 57th Street Extension:

This is the existing E Los Endos Blvd/SE 57th Street intersection, right near Target and the Delos County offices.  The Chick-Fil-A will have to be bulldozed to make way for the southbound lanes of NE 57th. (facing north)

This is the intersection of NE 50th Street with NE Von Neumann Way, just north of the Highway 60 interchange.  It is currently the only access to the Midland Hi-Tech Park and, as you can tell in the pic, it is quite severly congested (facing north).

The Chick-Fil-A has been bulldozed (don't worry, they have other locations in Los Endos) and grading work has begun on the section of 57th between Los Endos and Highway 60. (facing north)

Preparation for the Highway 60 overpass. (facing north)

This is the point at which the new 57th St extension will connect to Von Neumann Way and the existing dead-end portion of 57th. (facing north)

The overpass is constructed. (facing north)

The intersection with Von Neumann Way is built.  The existing curve is temporarily squared off so as to create a more perpendicular alignment with 57th. (facing north)

Finally, a couple of pics of the new E Los Endos Blvd/57th Street intersection.

Facing north.

Facing south.

And a map of the finished product:

That does it for this construction project--hope you enjoyed it, and keep an eye out for more TDOT action!

-Alex

art128

Another good update Alex, the new bridge is well choose and the new overpass is greatly done my friend. Also, great transportation layout, the map you done there is very good !
Take care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

DFire870

It's been awhile since I've commented or even looked at this MD since I took a bit of a break from SC. But, since I've been back I've followed your MD again and still love it. I also love the multiway boulevard, it sorta reminds me of places here in Central Texas where businesses were along a road, but since there wasn't enough room to expand it, they built the expanded road on the other side of the businesses.

Great work as usual!

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Blue Lightning

Oooh yay more construction! I like your choice of bridge, it just seems to blend in with the area. The old bridge kinda sticks out. Also, a little error: That bridge is a steel cantilever bridge ;)

Well I can see that the TDOT doesn't mind tearing a few busnisses down to make other people travel safely and more efficicently  $%Grinno$%

Vince
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

rooker1

Hey Alex,
Cool update.....but I think the bridge you choose doesn't look right in this application.  It looks too low.  I really like that bridge as well.  Just my opinion....
I have always loved how you show the construction of your transportation networks.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Pat

Alex fantastic update here and is that a new logo for TDOT? ooh btw how many feet up is that overpass? cause dang that is big crane for that overpass lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Battlecat

Nice update!  The roads just keep rolling onwards.  Shame about that restaurant, but as you say, they've got more locations. 

woodb3kmaster

Now that is road construction done right. As with previous updates, #53 is a pleasure to follow. Great job! Might I ask, though, what BAT those county offices are?

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Tomas Neto

bat

JBSimio

Nice update, Alex!   :thumbsup:  The extension of 57th Street makes a lot of sense, and I'm glad to see it went off without too many glitches.  Construction projects like this always seem to claim at least a building or two, but I think the world will survive with one less Chik-Fil-A  (although they do have some great billboards!)  :D  I was almost expecting to see some additional ramps from Highway 60 at the new overpass, but I suppose some new traffic patterns will have to be studied to find out whether or not an additional exit is needed there.  I guess I just got ahead of myself... whereas you, naturally, did not!  ;)

I missed commenting on the previous section of downtown, but I really enjoyed that one as well.  The multi-way boulevard should serve the area well for quite some time.  I wouldn't be surprised if it also spurs a fair amount of new growth downtown as well.

See you next time!
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

bakerton

The summer past time is in full swing here. All of this construction pictures look awesome Alex. Keep bringing the road work. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

dedgren

Happy second birthday, TC!  I'm sure a good couple of thou of those page views are mine- I lurk here way too much.

I'll be watching, Alex, to see what the rest of the construction season brings us.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

TmiguelT

Another superb and very fast update!! It sure looks that you don't use DSL  :D. Great improvement of the 57th st and the Chick-Fil-a got served  $%Grinno$%. I'll sure be back to another update  ;)

EDGE4194

glad to see TDOT is still keeping busy and providing jobs to the citizens. Will the on/off ramps for 57th come later?

Nexis4Jersey

wow what another stunning transit update, i like the new bridge, :thumbsup: &apls although it looks to low for boat traffic?

tr0ub1es0me

hi tarkus. some great work you have here. i just have a quick question, if you don't mind, please.  :)

the single lane roads here:
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6376/u488.jpg

how do you get those? are they a part of the RHW or other mod? sorry for my lack of knowledge but i've never used the RHW and i haven't been around to check out any CJs for a long time here or at ST...