• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM Workforce Bug FIX

Started by whatevermind, April 01, 2012, 07:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatevermind

This is the fix to the CAM workforce bug.  Follow the steps below, provided by RippleJet in this post on January 18, 2010:

First, you need DatPacker 2008.
If you've still got the SC4DatPacker Anniversary version on your HD, please delete it right away.
Due to its sorting algorithm it would unfortunately screw up your SimCity_1.dat.

Then, follow these steps:

• Backup your SimCity_1.dat (it's a file in Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\). Don't tell me afterwards you forgot...
  • Create a subfolder called SimCity_1 in your plugins folder (My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\)
  • Copy SimCity_1.dat into this recently created SimCity_1 folder
  • Copy ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat (from My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\a_CAM) to this same folder, SimCity_1.
  • Rename this copy of ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat to z_ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat
  • Run DatPacker. Select the folder SimCity_1.dat to be packed. A datpacked file named SimCity_1.dat is created in Plugins_Compressed
  • Move this file to Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\, replacing the original SimCity_1.dat which was there
  • Please verify once more that you did not leave another copy of SimCity_1.dat in the Plugins_Compressed folder
  • Delete the SimCity_1 subfolder that you created in your plugins folder
  • Delete the ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat file in the a_CAM subfolder

One useful point I will add to this, is that you must place your backup copy of SimCity_1.dat (and ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat if you choose to backup that as well) into a folder that is outside of both Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\ and your Plugins folder.  If either of these files remain in either of those folders (or their subfolders), you will continue to have problems with this bug.  I only mention this because it appears to be overlooked by some during this process.

Also, it has been pointed out that this fix works best when performed before starting a new region.  If you implement this fix, then continue playing a region you had been playing prior to the fix, there will be drastic impacts on that region's economy while the bug is being flushed out of the region.  This should eventually balance itself out, and you will be left with a correctly functioning region, but you should be prepared for a period of economic chaos in the meantime.

1) Will someone please sticky this thread?  2) If you're wondering why I copied an existing post into its own thread, it's because this fix, despite being in various locations around the forum, is not easy to find, and consequently, people keep having problems with this bug.  My aim here is to provide a dedicated space to find and discuss this fix so that it can more easily be spread throughout the community.  Hence the importance of stickying it.  Thanks.

MOREOPTIONS

This make my head hurt....  first attempt gives me this cool message "could not find the simcity 4 install path". Your modifications are to confusing...  GAME now dead and have to re store from back up.
:'( :'( ()what() &hlp &hlp &hlp

Quote from: whatevermind on April 01, 2012, 07:11:42 PM
This is the fix to the CAM workforce bug.  Follow the steps below, provided by RippleJet in this post on January 18, 2010:

First, you need DatPacker 2008.
If you've still got the SC4DatPacker Anniversary version on your HD, please delete it right away.
Due to its sorting algorithm it would unfortunately screw up your SimCity_1.dat.

Then, follow these steps:

• Backup your SimCity_1.dat (it's a file in Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\). Don't tell me afterwards you forgot...
  • Create a subfolder called SimCity_1 in your plugins folder (My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\)
  • Copy SimCity_1.dat into this recently created SimCity_1 folder
  • Copy ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat (from My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\a_CAM) to this same folder, SimCity_1.
  • Rename this copy of ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat to z_ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat
  • Run DatPacker. Select the folder SimCity_1.dat to be packed. A datpacked file named SimCity_1.dat is created in Plugins_Compressed
  • Move this file to Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\, replacing the original SimCity_1.dat which was there
  • Please verify once more that you did not leave another copy of SimCity_1.dat in the Plugins_Compressed folder
  • Delete the SimCity_1 subfolder that you created in your plugins folder
  • Delete the ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat file in the a_CAM subfolder

One useful point I will add to this, is that you must place your backup copy of SimCity_1.dat (and ColossusAddonMod_1.0.dat if you choose to backup that as well) into a folder that is outside of both Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\ and your Plugins folder.  If either of these files remain in either of those folders (or their subfolders), you will continue to have problems with this bug.  I only mention this because it appears to be overlooked by some during this process.

Also, it has been pointed out that this fix works best when performed before starting a new region.  If you implement this fix, then continue playing a region you had been playing prior to the fix, there will be drastic impacts on that region's economy while the bug is being flushed out of the region.  This should eventually balance itself out, and you will be left with a correctly functioning region, but you should be prepared for a period of economic chaos in the meantime.

1) Will someone please sticky this thread?  2) If you're wondering why I copied an existing post into its own thread, it's because this fix, despite being in various locations around the forum, is not easy to find, and consequently, people keep having problems with this bug.  My aim here is to provide a dedicated space to find and discuss this fix so that it can more easily be spread throughout the community.  Hence the importance of stickying it.  Thanks.

InvisiChem

Lol, serious necro of an old thread.

Anyways, instead of this mess, check out CAM 2.1.0 which does a whole bunch of this through the installer now. Find it Here, http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3335.

Instructions are part of the installer and I support it actively and very well in my opinion.
Everyone has something to offer, most do not possess the courage to offer it.