• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Crash while datpacking

Started by CasperVg, March 15, 2008, 10:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasperVg

While I was datpacking my plugin files, Datpacker suddenly crashed and gave me "Close" or "Ignore". I tried ignore and now my RAM-usage is tru the roof and datpacker doesn't respond at all. I have tried closing usingthe taskmanager, but it wont start up.

SC4 Datpacker v8c
Vista Home 86x - dependencies installed
Asus Notebook F3S
2047mb RAM
Core2Duo T7250 @ 2.00 Gz

Any ideas?
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

jplumbley

How big is your plugins you are trying to pack?
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

CasperVg

3.11 GB. I've tried datpacking again, and it worked now. I assume that I was using to much additional RAM while the datpacker was doing its job.

BarbyW

You should try to keep the dat packed dats at no more than 1 GB. You were packing too much with 3GB.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

wouanagaine

I hope that 3 Gb is your plugins size, not the size of one subfolder of plugins ?

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

CasperVg

That's the plugin folder. The folder itself weighs about 1.1 GB

dragonshardz

The best way to solve this problem is to split your plugins folder into chunks of about 1 GB and pack them seperately.

IE, Make folders A, B, and C. for example: (documents/simcity4/plugins/folderA). Remove folders B and C from your plugins folder (temporarily). I usually put them in a plugins_protected folder that you will have to create yourself. Pack folder A, then remove folder A to your protected_plugins folder. Then move one of the unpacked folders into your plugins folder, pack it, remove it, and so on.

~~Dragonshardz~~