• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDGE4194

Quote from: sebes on November 11, 2007, 04:52:33 AM
Grasping for breath.........   :o

That southbound ramp is amazing - wonderfull - fantastic! 

....exactly    ;D

thundercrack83

Unbelievable!

The MIS is simply fantastic, my friend! You are a genius! I can't wait to see more of your outstanding work!

Dustin

figui

the users uf your transportation system will be very pleased with the implementation of the MIS, you're doing great use of it :thumbsup:

waiting (almost patiently) for more,
mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

quackmofro

The Parclo interchange looks great. Can't wait to see what else can be achieved with the MIS.

I love these DOT-style updates, too, one because they show construction progress on the highways, and two because of the considerations that go into placing the highways, like driver safety, traffic, and environmental protection. It's very realistic and refreshing.

Looking forward to the next update.

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

I've never seen a transport setup like this and look forward to seeing how it performs in game. Thanks for showing the step-by-step creation process.

Until next time...
Joan

calibanX

Wow, how this game is changing. I'm looking forward to building my cities around more realistic transportation networks. Fantastic work!
Where City and Country Flow Together

Haljackey

Nice example of a Parclo there Tarkus!

The only thing that bothers me is the sharp 90 degree turn on the right side of the interchange, something you really don't see too often in interchanges because of their low speeds (cough cough truck rollovers).  Other than that, nice update! ;)

bakerton

Tarkus, You have outdone yourself with all of this cool stuff and pictures. Looking forward to more. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

BigSlark

Excellent taunting, err, I mean update, Alex. The MIS is amazing in action!

Cheers,
Kevin

Filasimo

Hal just fyi there are rural interchanges like that here in the states. ive seen alot of em so its perfectly fine imo to demonstrate how some interchanges are constructed like that.....anyways Alex great update and I have to say testing the MIS is really moving along and I cant wait to play with it more with the new updates you have for the alpha  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

bat

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I'm back with another update here.  We're going back and taking a look at Highway 61 and how progress is coming with it.  This update will focus on the Department of Transportation's efforts to improve a 3-mile stretch of the highway north of Argentum, in an area known as Gray Creek.  Gray Creek is a primarily industrial area, and a dirty one at that.  There's also a great deal of farmland in the area.

As you can see from these pre-construction pics, Highway 61 was in very rough shape.  (All these pics are facing north ;))

This is just east of the industrial area:

Here is the rather awkward interchange with Argentum Boulevard (Exit 63), which was formerly the route of Highway 61, before the current freeway alignment bypassed it.

And here's the illogical zig-zagging--this wasn't so much of a problem back when 61 was still a two-lane highway along the Argentum Boulevard alignment.

This is the former interchange with Tarentum Lane, which will be re-routed as part of the project.  As you can see, they took quite a few shortcuts with this freeway, not even bothering to grade it properly.  You can also (faintly) see where the new alignment is going in.

Now, for the fun stuff.  Here's the new alignment being built, alongside the old alignment (to the right) and Edge Road (to the left).  (Edge Road, by the way, is named in honor of the member who posted the 200th comment, EDGE4194. ;))

Here, the southbound traffic has been transferred to the new Highway 61 alignment.  The railroad overpass you saw earlier had to be torn out in order to make room for the new alignment.  It also needed some significant grade improvements as well.

Here's the finished product:

Here's what's going on with the new Argentum Boulevard interchange.  Here's after the overpass has been torn out, to make way for the new alignment.

As you can see in this next image, both sides of the new alignment have been completed up to this point, but are transferring over to the old alignment.  There's also a new ramp in place to connect Argentum Boulevard to Southbound 61. 

And the finished product.  You can also see the old Highway 61 alignment off to the side there.

Finally, a teaser of the next part of the Gray Creek segment of the Highway 61 realignment--the Landry Road interchange (Exit 64).  Landry Road is a major farm-to-market road in northern Emerson County, and will become of increasing importance, as it passes by the soon-to-be built Argentum International Airport (ARX).  I can tell you there's going to be some interesting things that will be occurring with this interchange . . .  ::)

Now, finally, onto replies (which I'm behind on  ::)):

Ryan (Filasimo): Thanks!  I'm glad you enjoyed the traffic map update, and I'll definitely be coming back to that subject quite soon.  Work on the 104 (actually, according to the Proposed Highway Plan I posted [link], it's Highway 304  :D) will commence again shortly. ;)

Daniel (Shadow Assassin):  Thanks for the compliments on that update.  Don't worry--the roller coaster effect there will get minimized, once the non-drunk engineers come through.

bat:  Thanks!  Glad you enjoyed it.

Kevin (BigSlark):  I'm really quite happy to hear that the whole rebuilding thing is working out--thanks!  I was originally going to do that with my previous Argentum MD, but my city-building skills weren't quite at the right level to pull it off then.  I've actually had some interesting and very positive experiences with using the CAM in Argentum--the demand actually shot through the roof on most categories, which was a pleasant surprise. 

US 26 is indeed a bit of a mess--it's the only east-west freeway going out to the western suburbs, and they are probably going to need to widen some parts of it again soon because the City of Beaverton wants to cram another 150,000 people in within the next decade or so.  ODOT actually did something similar to what MDOT seems to have done in the construction of that project, by switching traffic onto the new C/D lane they built.  Only they screwed it up badly by putting in a left exit to Canyon Road (Oregon Highway 8) during the construction and didn't sign it properly. There was a period of about a week where there were dozens of accidents where people ran into the barriers after not realizing that lane exited.  That's ODOT for you.

Joan (Jmouse):  You're most certainly welcome for the traffic data update, and again, thanks for bringing that up.  :)   I don't remember exactly what the population on that tile was when I took those pics, but that tile tends to hover right around the 50,000 mark, +/- 5000 most of the time. 

Haljackey:  Yes, it is a bit steep. Don't worry, it'll look much better once the non-drunk engineers come through. :D 

Pat:  Thanks!  The DOT is trying desperately to avoid another fiasco--they don't exactly have the best reputation after some of the stuff they've pulled, so they are being much more careful this time.  Hope you enjoyed seeing more of 61.

sebes:  Sounds like ODOT was in charge of the A2 project. :D  That sounds like a real mess. &mmm  Thanks for the compliments--it's good to hear I'm doing better than the Dutch highway administration. ;)

calibanX:  Thanks for the feedback on the update--I'm glad it was interesting for you.  As far as the future plans for Argentum, the actual city tile area isn't going to be growing that much, and provided my updates to the highway system work as planned, I'm going to stick with my no-mass-transit plan.  I still haven't tried out mott's experiments yet, but at some point I'll be doing that and posting the data here.

Adam (Ennedi):  Thanks very much for the compliments!  It's really quite interesting to hear about your methods of building transit networks as well, and your experience with mass transit seems to be similar to things I've had happen.  Whenever I've built these sorts of vascular systems (that's a great analogy), they've tended to work quite well for me.  Most of my prior mass transit experiences had been with building El-Rail and Subway lines in some of my larger cities (population around 60,000-120,000), and I've generally had difficulty getting people to ride them, even though the routes were placed in logical places, near denser areas and going out toward the cities' airports.  I usually ended up tearing the lines down and putting roads in. :D 

I may have to take you up on your offer regarding making slopes for viaducts--thanks for the offer!

-Alex (Tarkus)

Note:  I'm still not done replying to comments, but I'll be continuing this post a little later tonight. ;) (as of 5:12pm Pacific Standard Time)

Jmouse

Oh boy, more awesome transport stuff! :thumbsup: Did I mention (at least 300 times) that I have a lot to learn in this area, but you're one of the great teachers around. :)
I'm not good enough to figure out where you're going with this arrangement, but you can be sure I'll be watching closely.

Until next time...
Joan

Pat

ooooooh Alex that is wonderful update on highway 61 realignment project.... I did love it btw...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Shadow Assassin

Looks good, but it's still a little... bumpy.

Maybe it's time for a RHW slope mod? :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

bigdope404

Here you go Shadow Assassin

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=990.460

(bottom of page)

Great Job on the Interchange Tarkus!

BigSlark

Alex,

Great update. You just keep teasing the world with the MIS, don't you?  :o I am!  $%Grinno$%

I really like your development and extensive use of RHW-2, by the way. You've got it all down pat.

Cheers,
Kevin

Filasimo

hell of an update Alex, the transit improvements are proceeding fine. im curious to see where you are going with this in future updates  :thumbsup:
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

EDGE4194

Alex- impressive update  :thumbsup: I am honored to have a road named after me, especially in your md  :) That rail bridge is new to me, and am curious where i can find it. I thoroughly enjoy your transit improvement projects and can't wait to see what gets the makeover next  ()stsfd()