• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tarkusian Cities (Update 107-08/23/2020-West Chemeketa Reconfig, Part 1)

Started by Tarkus, June 17, 2007, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordmaster

Great interchange there, although I find the concrete walls to have a bit of a stark contrast to the terrain. Despite the coolness of your transportation works, I find I'm also enjoying the housing areas we get to see. You seem to have a nice mix of lots there.

Cool mapping, too!

Cheers
Willy

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I experienced a boot sector failure on my laptop's hard drive about a week ago, but fortunately, I've been able to recover my important things--including the Chemeketa region.  I'm now running on a semi-new (larger) hard drive I scavenged out of my old HP laptop (itself a replacement for when the boot sector failed on that laptop's original drive), on which I've installed the preview of Windows 8 after a re-format.  Now that the technical issues are sorted out, it's once again update time.

But first, replies:

sim_link: Thanks for the kind words, and yes, I imagine the local car washes love all the added business they're getting thanks to ORDOT. :D  As the elevated concrete textures, I'm glad to hear that you like it, and as those viaducts aren't tied into P57 or anything else undergoing a massive IID realignment, I'm toying with releasing those textures.

Kenny (kj3400): As much construction as there is in Chemeketa, I'd imagine it probably freaks the residents out when there isn't any happening. :D  Thanks for the interest in the concrete viaduct textures, too--I might just have to sneak those out there. ;)

Arthur (art128): Thanks for the compliments on the interchange!  It was a fun one to build, and quite involved with all that realignment.

Noah (noahclem): Thanks for the kind words on the project--those Fractional Angle Avenues have been really nice to have (thanks to Shadow Assassin's general awesomeness).  I tried to stick wide-radius curves on that one end of the interchange, but the terrain and spacing kind of got in the way, and as the interchange will be getting torn up again for the larger Highway 36 modernization project, I figured they'd do in a pinch.

Alex (apeguy): Thanks for the compliments on the updates--I'm glad you enjoyed them!  I was really glad to finally have a good excuse to sneak a DDI into a featured construction project, and the process of building that project has given me some ideas to improve and expand upon that functionality.

Willy (Swordmaster): Thanks for the kind words on the interchange and for the constructive feedback on the walls.  I've kind of been partial to that texture for awhile, as it matches up with what's standard around these parts, but you've gotten my wheels turning about experimenting with a different style.  I'm also glad to hear you enjoyed the map and seeing the residential areas (which will feature quite prominently in this next update)--I spent quite some time trying to find the right mix of lots to fit in with my northwestern suburban aesthetic, and I think Chemeketa hit the balance right.  The main aspect of it is lots of mattb325 and SimGoober stuff.

This update, we'll be taking a look at some development projects happening in East Chemeketa, right in the vicinity of the Highway 15/39th Avenue SPUI featured in Update 83.  The high-tech boom in this area has also brought on a wave of commercial office and residential development, as well as some new infrastructure to handle all of it.

To go along with the new update, I've produced another edition of the full regional map: Full Regional Map

Here's a link to a smaller map of the exact area (click to expand):

Both feature the full build-out of the area we'll be looking at with this update, including previously identified "Project 13"--the extension of Noah Street NE.

This first image is of the initial work on the 5-way "starpoint" roundabout being built, where Noah Street will intersect extensions of Bernard Way NE and Flenderson Road NE, as well as a new east-west collector route designed to serve the area, 35th Avenue NE (facing north).

This is right near where 35th will intersect Halpert Road NE (facing north).  Halpert will be widened to 4 lanes through the new intersection.

Here's the initial build of the intersection to provide construction access (facing north), before development goes in and 35th gets widened to include a center turn lane.

Here's the intersection after 35th is widened and development has gone in.  As you can see, it's become a happening spot (facing north).

This is at the intersection of 39th and Halpert, previously re-built in Update 83, after more development (facing north).

Here's a couple of the "starpoint" in action, with the residential development having gone in around it.  The planners behind these subdivisions wanted to create a distinctive and interesting street layout.

(facing east)

(facing north)

This is at the intersection of 39th/Hudson and Flenderson, post-development (facing north). 

The fractional angle road here (yet to be named) was built as a collector off of Hudson Road NE to access some residential spots to the north.

It currently dead-ends here, but future plans entail extending it to Flatwood Road NE (facing north).

Finally, as there's been questions regarding the little "tail" that extends off of the Highway 15/215 "Flugelhorn" interchange and extends to Halpert Road, I thought I'd show what's been happening up there.  There's been both some residential and high-tech development in the area (both facing north).

That does it for this update.  The next two updates will be back in familiar stomping grounds, and then I may take some interesting detours after that . . .

-Alex

Swordmaster

That's some serious development on the 39th. But I hope the starpoint can hold - seems a little busy already.

However, given ORDOT's high standards, I'm surprised by the bad signage on the dead end: there's two vehicles that didn't seem to know.

Quote from: Tarkus on August 30, 2012, 03:58:39 PM
Willy (Swordmaster): Thanks for the kind words on the interchange and for the constructive feedback on the walls.  I've kind of been partial to that texture for awhile, as it matches up with what's standard around these parts, but you've gotten my wheels turning about experimenting with a different style.

I don't know if it's this particular texture. I've always found walls to be harder to integrate nicely in open terrain than one would think at first. Some small flora near the base sometimes does the trick. Once the development sets in, the problem subsides.

Cheers
Willy

kj3400

The 39th and Halpert intersection is looking snazzy. That 5 ways roundabout is pretty cool as well.
I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

art128

Excellent new development Alex. You did a good job with the area around the round about!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Another construction project, another update.  We'll be getting back to some familiar territory for this update . . . but first, replies:

Willy (Swordmaster): Thanks for the compliments on the development, and yes, the starpoint roundabout is getting some pretty heavy usage already--the Noah Street extension turned out to be very popular with traffic.  It's probably ended up close to 75% capacity, and there's more trucks using it than anticipated.  It may end up having to be reconfigured.  As far as the Dead End sign, that'd be up to the city there, and they're waiting for the Signage Piece Mod to re-enter development. :D

Kenny (kj3400): Thanks for the kind words on the intersections--I'm glad to hear they were snazzy! :thumbsup:  That's actually the third 5-way roundabout in the region, though with the way the traffic volumes are shaping up there, it might end up having to be reconfigured.

Arthur (art128): Thanks!  I'm glad you liked the development and the area around the roundabout.  That was a lot of fun to build. :)

Eriksen-Scarlet Corridor Project, Phase 1

Full regional map [link]

Project Area Map (dashed lines indicate realignments):

The Eriksen-Scarlet Corridor Project is Project #6, as identified in the current list of Chemeketa-area capital improvement projects.  Eriksen Drive NE was built to serve as a neighborhood collector route, providing access between Ashcroft Street NE and residential developments in the area, and was later extended eastward to Rankine Lane NE.  Further development has elevated the traffic volumes on Eriksen beyond its capacity, and it has increasingly been used by motorists as a cut-through from Ashcroft to 52nd Avenue NE, via Scarlet Street NE.  The situation is especially bad between Ashcroft and Tamarack, a 2-lane section with a 25mph speed limit.

This project has been designed to better accommodate current and future traffic patterns in the area.  Phase 1 of the project will widen Eriksen from Ashcroft through the S-Curve to 4 travel lanes, while Phase 2 will reconstruct the Eriksen/Scarlet intersection, and build a new, 4-lane alignment of Scarlet between Eriksen and 49th Way NE.

This is the current state of the intersection at Eriksen/59th Avenue NE and Ashcroft Street NE (facing west).

Just a little farther west, along 59th Avenue NE (facing west).  The little stretch of 59th just west of the intersection with Ashcroft will need to be realigned to accommodate the widened Eriksen Drive.

Construction begins (facing west):

59th is temporarily closed off for realignment (facing west):

Demolition along Eriksen.  The widening will only claim two houses (facing west):

Progress at the intersection with Ashcroft (facing west).

The widening right near the intersection has been more or less completed (facing west).

At the east end of the S-Curve (facing west).

This is at Tamarack Street NE (facing west).  The stretch along the S-Curve has been closed down to speed along the widening.  Motorists are advised to use 52nd or 71st in the interim.

The curve has been widened (facing west).

The improved intersection at Tamarack (facing west).

That does it for Phase 1.  The next update will focus on Phase 2, the realignment of the eastern portion of the corridor.

-Alex

Haljackey

Two updates back to back! Awesome work Alex!

I'm not a huge street light buff but I really like the ones you're using. The roads and construction projects are amazing as well, as always. :)

MandelSoft

Nice update Alex! I see that you're using my USA LRM streetlights (and some NAM features that I have yet to posess). I always like what you do with construction works and your organisation is really nice. Kudos to that ;)

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

RickD

Great updates. I just wish we had such well planned road improvement projects in reality.  ::)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

art128

Very nice Alex, very very nice!  Love the work you're doing with that avenue. I like the pathway along the road and between the houses. Also seems like they'll have to destroy the mayor statue.. ;)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

vinlabsc3k

Great updates Alex!! &apls In the last month I've a poor bandwidth :'( so I can't make comments, but now I can admire your works and lovin' it! :thumbsup:
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

kj3400

I think I've been here long enough, call me Kenneth/Kenny.
Visit

The Commonwealth of Paradise at ST

The Commonwealth of Paradise at SC4 Wiki

noahclem

Great updates  &apls &apls  These areas have a really nice, green suburban feel and your planners have definitely succeeded in creating a distinctive layout. All the grid-breaking diagonal and FA stuff adds a lot of character. The 5-way roundabout is also a nice touch--I've always thought those looked really good.

Also, Noah Street?! If I had any role inspiring the name than I'm certainly honored  ;D

mike3775

I love that 5 point roundabout.  How/where is it available(if it is)?

I wish real projects could be done as easily as yours have been 

j-dub

Mike, when using the Network Addon Mod, you make sure you have a clear area of land, about 5x5 tiles, so you can reserve 3x3 tiles to build, without the game automatically drawing roads on you. You then use the OneWay Road tool, and you draw a square, no more then the 3x3 tiles, at which point, the NAM should then convert the OWR square into a roundabout. From here, you shold be able to use the regular Road tool to make a 5 point setup, just like Alex's. It is vital that roundabout's are checked upon the Network Addon Mod's installation.

mike3775

Thanks j-dub.  I knew it auto made the smaller one, didn't know about the bigger one.  I learned something new. (of course I never have played with everything included with the nam yet even after all these years)

als98

Tarkus-

What program(s) did you use to create that map and how does it work? It would be really cool to do that if I knew how...

Cool city, BTW.

als98

Never mind... I found it on page 14 of this forum: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=1555.260 (Unless your methods have changed...)

Thanks for that tutorial.  :thumbsup:  Those maps are really cool and I'll make one of my city soon.

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

I'm back to share the completion of the eastern portion of the Eriksen-Scarlet Corridor Project in Chemeketa.  But first, replies:

Ryan (Haljackey): Thanks for the kind words, and I've really been pleased with the new streetlights, too.  The LRM is where it's at. :thumbsup:  Glad you enjoyed the construction--there will be plenty more of that to come. :)

Maarten (MandelSoft): Thanks!  I'm really glad you enjoyed the update, and my (figurative) hat is off to you on the LRM--it's a fantastic package, and I've really enjoyed using it! :thumbsup:

Raphael (RickD): Thanks for the compliments on the update, and I share your sentiments--especially looking at things like this debacle in these parts.

Arthur (art128): Thanks for the very kind words on the update--I'm glad you liked how the Avenue and pathway turned out.  The statue seems to have avoided its seemingly inevitable demise, however. ::)

Vincenzo (vinlabsc3k): Thanks!  Glad you enjoyed it, and no worries--I'm sorry to hear of your bandwidth issues--non-functioning internet can be painful. &hlp  Hope things are working better now.

Kenny (kj3400): Thank you, sir!  And yes, there are (or more accurately, were) right turn lanes there.  I'm looking forward to a veritable TuLEP festival after slogging through NAM 31/P57. :D

Noah (noahclem): Thanks for the compliments on the update--I'm especially glad to hear you enjoyed the "grid-busting" and that the suburban feel came off.  And yes, you are indeed "on the map". :thumbsup:

Mike (mike3775): Thanks for the kind words on the efficacy of my construction projects--of course, it's a fair bit easier to pull this stuff off in a virtual world.  :)  6-point setups are also possible with the 3x3 OWR roundabouts, using a similar technique, and it's even possible to do 8-point setups with the Avenue roundabouts.

j-dub: Thanks for the detailed post on the roundabouts!

als98: Thanks for the kind words on the city, and I'm glad you found the tutorial.  I still use those techniques today, and I hope it proved useful for you! :thumbsup:

Eriksen-Scarlet Corridor Project, Phase 2

When we left off last time, the section of Eriksen Drive NE between Ashcroft Street NE and the S-curve had been widened to 4 travel lanes.  This is the east end of that phase, right before the intersection with Scarlet Street NE (facing north).

A section of the new alignment has been built, but not connected.  The western portion of Eriksen (widened in Phase 1) will be curved to align with the southern segment of Scarlet.  The eastern segment of Eriksen will T into these two segments (facing east).

The roadway has been closed off for further construction.  The northern segment of Scarlet, which is a minor residential collector, is now accessed from a T-intersection off the eastern segment of Eriksen (facing east).

The eastern segment of Eriksen is now connected into the realignment (facing east).

This new segment is now open, and lighting and landscaping have been addressed (facing east).

A little detour along the northern segment of Scarlet--another "starpoint" roundabout (facing north).

Here's along the southern segment of Scarlet, in its old alignment, as it intersects 52nd Avenue NE.  As you can see, it's pretty jammed with just 2 travel lanes.  The roadway will be moved 100 feet west (facing north).

Here's where the widened roadway currently dumps onto the old southern segment of Scarlet (facing north).

Back at the 52nd/Scarlet intersection.  The median area on 52nd has been paved further to accommodate the new intersection (facing north).

Further work at the intersection.  Left turns have been restricted off 52nd in the interim (facing north).

The realigned segment has been built from Eriksen down to 52nd (facing north).  The segment south of 52nd still needs to be realigned.

The segment south of 52nd has been closed off (facing north).

The segment south of 52nd has now been re-built.  This is the rebuilt intersection at 49th Way NE.  You can see the old alignment of Scarlet on the left (facing north).

The rebuilt intersection of 52nd/Scarlet is now full open (facing north).  Some remnants of construction staging remain.

And here's the finished product, with some new commercial development in the area (facing north).

Here's a map showing how the area is set up now.

That does it for this project here in Tarkusian Cities--we'll have a bit of a change of pace next update, though I can't yet reveal what that'll entail.  Only 4 more updates until Update 100 arrives!

-Alex

mike3775

I love how you have so much wide open area to be able to shift roads over with ease without having to make some poor sims mad by stealing their land for these projects under the guise of eminent domain  :)

I really love those 5 point roundy's, they blend in perfectly with the surroundings